Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda5 Owners - Meet the Members

Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,032
edited March 12 in Mazda
Introduce yourself and get to know other Mazda5 owners here.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Comments

• isda65isda65 Posts: 74
    I'm a proud owner of a Platinum Silver GT since July 7th. Currently have 600+ kms and loving every minute of it.
  • perfectofcperfectofc Posts: 155
    Another proud owner here - I bought my Platinum Silver GT 5-speed on July 10th. Currently just over 1,000km on it, and can't find the words to tell everyone how much fun this car is to drive... :)
  • msljmslj Posts: 4
    Just bought mine last night! Black Touring!! Only 50 miles on it so far. Can't wait to leave work and drive more! :)
  • kaiankaian Posts: 36
    Phantom Blue Touring 5-speed. Picked it up July 14 and ~240 miles so far.
  • tcw2tcw2 Posts: 9
    I picked up a Carbon Gray Mazda5 MT/Sport on July 2. We have just over 600 miles on it so far and think it's great.
  • momstoymomstoy Posts: 30
    Hello from North Jersey

We picked up our Phantom Blue Touring 5-speed w/Nav on July 19 - 100miles so far and loving every minute of it! :shades:
  • mrgarymrgary Posts: 33
    I bought my Phantom Blue Sport 5 Speed on July 7.
    So Far I have put 710 mile on it. I was the only one to test drive it so except for the dealer getting gas and moving it around the lot 705 of the miles are mine.
  • dag25dag25 Posts: 1
    I bought my Carbon Grey Touring 5 with navagation on July 17. So far I have only 50 miles on it.
  • Bought mine the other day (July 22). Carbon gray, Touring automatic with nav. Drove 200 miles yesterday and it really is fun to drive. I'm so glad that I waited. I originally planned to buy Honda CRV three months ago.
  • vrmvrm Posts: 303
    Proud new owners!

1) How is the "build" quality and fit/finish of this vehicle? Any squeaks, rattles or leaks?

2) Is the Mazda5 Made in Japan?

Thanks for your feedback.
  • bjerrybjerry Posts: 59
    I purchased my Carbon Gray Touring manual transmission on June 30, 2005. 750+ miles to date. I enjoy the car very much. I liked the finish, no obvious problems so far, no squeaks or rattles.
  • r2kr2k Posts: 25
    drspongklong:

How's the automatic climate control A/C work there...pretty hot and humid I would guess?

Other posts in other forums indicated that the A/C might be a little weak, especially in the back seats.

Does the A/C seem to drag the engine down much?

I am considering an auto Touring so it would be nice to know.

Thanks
  • isda65isda65 Posts: 74
    The A/C is not the 5's strong department. I'm thinking that the windows have to be tinted to lend support to the A/C. The A/C however doesn't drag the engine as far as I am concerned. I didn't detect any deterioration at all. However, I don't drive aggressively. I always stick to speed limits even on the highway.
  • Automatic Climate control works fine in the hot and humid environment of Louisiana. A/C has to be always on when you drive here during this time of the year but the engine is still strong. It does not "drag the engine down" at all. I have no problem with my A/C, not like others say it is weak.
    isda65 and drspongklong:

Thanks for the replies.

When I drove a Touring/Auto the A/C did not seem to bother it at all, but I live on the Oregon coast and the temp struggles to get over 60F at times--maybe 65F the day I drove it. It was hard to tell if it was even on except the air coming out of the vents was a bit cooler than outside.

We use A/C here to mainly cool off a car from the sun (when it shines)..and the black interior will probably heat up a bit with only lite tinting on the windows or when we go to the Willamette Valley, where it is quite a bit warmer than the coast, but nothing like Louisiana or Arizona. However it seems quite warm to us "coasties" if it gets over 80.

Thanks
  • bjerrybjerry Posts: 59
    Other posts in other forums indicated that the A/C might be a little weak, especially in the back seats.

There are no vents in the back for the third row.
    bjerry:

Knew that, but sort of hard to test A/C in the back by myself, and as I mentioned, where I live it does not get warm enough to need A/C about 11 months of the year.

So I was seeking information from somebody that lived in a hot, humid area and might be able to at least say how the A/C worked in general in that climate because of comments in several other forums.

I forgot to ask drspongklong if he carried any 2nd row passengers yet and if there were any comments from them about the A/C.
  • Yes, I have had 2nd and 3rd row passengers and everybody are comfortable with the temperature inside even though temp outside reads 95 degrees F. I set the temp inside to 70 degrees F and set the fan to number 3.
    drspongklong:

Thanks much for the update....sounds like it should work just fine in my part of the country and even if I take a trip over the Cascade Mtns to the hot side of the state or someplace further south.
  • robyneilrobyneil Posts: 26
    We're happy proud owners of a white touring 5 in the bay area, CA. Haven't been able to carry 6 passengers yet to test AC, but great for 4. AC set at 60F cools the whole cabin quickly and grandma on 2nd row is comfortable after leaving '5 baking under the noon sun (in the low to mid 90's). It seems good enough from the third row, but the weather is not as humid here.

All I can say is it's most fun I've had driving in a very long time. Turning and handling is one of the best for this size or bigger vehicle I've tried so far. I believe it's the 5's best trait.
  • smariasmaria Posts: 279
    My wife and I picked up our Platinum Silver Sport Mazda 5 (w/ auto and fog lights) last night! The weather wasn't cooperating (very windy with some heavy thunderstorms) but that didn't stop us.

When we picked up the car it had 27 miles on it. We put on an extra 50 bringing it home and showing it off to some friends. Our friends sat in the 2nd row, and they kept commenting on how quiet the car was. No complaints so far, everything's working perfectly.

I loved driving the car home...but my wife will be the one to do most of the driving in it from now on. If I'm lucky she'll let me drive it sometimes ;)
  • Wife and I just purchased our new Platinum Silver 5 last week. 2 days later, we went on a drive up to Port Angles (100 miles) to catch the ferry to Victoria, B C. It is a Touring Model with Navigation, Auto Temp, 6 disc CD and Auto Transmission. The car handles very well, steering is very impressive. As for the trip, we have a 4 month old (cries the whole way on every car trip), a two year old, two rather large suitcases, double stroller, umbrella stroller, 2 diaper bags, snack bag, laptop, portable dvd player, huge freaking bag of my wife's shoes, swimming toys, kids' toys and a 2.5 gallon jug of water. It all fit! With all that weight, the 5 handled very well. I had the A/C going the whole time and went 415 miles on 1 tank of gas! As for complaints, the stereo is not that great and the seat belt retainers in the back are very brittle. The one on the driver's side broke. Mazda is replacing it for free. :) So far, we put 900 miles on the car with 2.9 tanks of gas.
  • Clownthebobo1,

I'd be curious to hear more about your radio. I have a touring model also, which has the upgraded 6-CD in-dash stereo. I haven't had a problem; I think it actually rocks pretty well (between Caillou sing-a-long songs for the boys - 2 and 5 - and Metallica for dad). But I usually drive with an empty back and the 3rd row folded. I have noticed that when the car is stuffed from Costco runs, the sound from the rear is definitely more muffled.
    PS I agree on the belt retainers. Haven't broken one yet, but they don't "retain" very well. ;)
  • I bought my cardinal red Touring model with auto trans on July 16. The first tank of gas worked out to an even 20 mpg with mixed highway/city driving. A/C was on full blast practically the whole time (90+ degree days) and I was carting around 4 other adults for most of that time also. No complaints from any of them about lack of room, comfort, or cool air. Power was adequate if not thrilling. No complaints so far except the missing passenger armrest and lack of knee padding on console and door for this 250-pound 6-footer.

I'm reposting this as my first post (with a link to pics of the car) ran afoul of the mods. Mea culpa. Anyone know how I can add pics now?
  • "I'm reposting this as my first post (with a link to pics of the car) ran afoul of the mods. Mea culpa. Anyone know how I can add pics now?"

Yes, I thought your post sounded familiar :D

I think I touched your car the day before you bought it, if it was the red one under the awning of Browning's showroom.

I picked up the same color on Sunday from a dealer in San Diego. However, I wanted a manual so I took the train down from Fullerton and drove it back home.

As far as showing off your images, I believe a link to a Flickr page will past muster or if you know how to include an image in your message, I think that will be acceptable as well.
  • I had an Eddie Bauer Expedition with a Mach 460 stereo and a Volvo 850 with a "premium" stereo previous to the 5. The sound in both vehicles seems to surround you and had better overall acoustic quality. That is why I would prefer a better sounding stereo in the 5, I was somewhat spoiled.
  • rrratinarrratina Posts: 27
    As of yesterday we are owners of a phantom blue, touring manual, with NAV! We love it :shades:
  • hipfan77hipfan77 Posts: 16
    Just got my new Mazda5 today, Phantom Blue Sport, Popular equipment and Moonroof. Absolutely love it, what a blast to drive. I will probaly miss my 2.slow Jetta, but not much.

If anyone has the autodimming/compass mirror, how has the large back glass affected the autodimming function? I am worried that with as much light coming through the hatch as there is that the mirror can't keep up. :D
  • Just bought a Carbon Gray Touring Manual. I love it. We were considering a Mazda3 and walked into the showroom and saw the 5. Toyed with the idea for a month and then decided to buy. Had to order and 1 month later it was here. :)
    Really like the fact that it is a manual. I can't stand to drive automatics, no sense of control. One thing that is disappointing and that is the lack of accessories. Had to order at same time to get them. Now have to wait until list is published. :cry:
  • ccweemsccweems Posts: 33
    The technology all comes from the same vendor. My MB ML320 has dark factory glass in the rear and the autodimming mirror works flawlessly. All sorts of other combinations with other vehicles and it still works well. Worry about something else if you must.
This discussion has been closed.