Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda5 Owners: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Why they trying to pull that stunt.

Why are they under-compensating the Canadians, seems like a cheap stunt and one that will certainly make the papers !

Who's calling Mazda to complain, I know I am.
  • Hi Vinnyfast, just wanted to know where you were located. My dealer in California says he has not heard anything about when he will be getting the parts and doesn't know when I will be getting my 5 back. It may be that the first shipment of parts went to the East coast or something like that. I am hoping I will get my car back this week - we'll see.
  • afticaaftica Posts: 14
    Just spoke with Mazda Canada Customer Relations. They received word Friday that compensation would be as I noted earlier. $500.00 plus a reset of warranty. The parts are going out to dealers this week with an expected 2 week window to receive parts and complete all repairs.
  • Hey raceymom, (cool name by the way), got my M5 back last Friday after they called me to say it was ready. I was surprised because I didn't expect it back for another month. Anyway, I'm located in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, near Toronto. I guess they must have air freighted the parts in. Everything seems fine with the car at all speeds upt 90mph. I haven't driven it past that, yet, because I only have about 1000 miles on it. They detailed the car, extended my warranty to restart Dec 1st, and are sending me a check for $500 in 4-6 weeks. Got a letter from Mazda today to confirm. I kind of miss the rental I had though....had a 2006 Dodge Charger....very faaaaaaaaaaaast!!!!...but I'm glad I got my car back. :)
  • Are you not ticked off that we're getting 500CAD when the American's are getting 50US. ?
  • hifivehifive Posts: 72
    Didn't you pay for your car in CAD? I don't know if there is a price difference between here and Canada or not, but I paid $17,500 USD for my four speed sport model.

HiFive
  • smariasmaria Posts: 279
    but I paid $17,500 USD for my four speed sport model.

...and that's a great deal! Edmunds' TMV is $18,731 USD for the Sport AT, and is probably an accurate representation of what most US customers are paying. That's roughly $22,100 CAD, although the exchange rate varies somewhat from day to day.

It'll be impossible to directly compare prices though, since the US and Canadian models come with different features/combinations. They're not identical cars (in terms of options).

Also, when was the recall announcement made in Canada? Were the Canadian cars recalled later and out of service for a shorter amount of time? In the US, most of us were told about the recall on September 16 (which was the same day that my wife and I took our first child home from the hospital, in the Mazda5, after he was born on September 14...we heard from our dealer right when we got home...great timing, huh?).
  • Just heard from my Fla dealer. He got 1 out of 4 parts. They usually get parts on Wed; so it looks like at least another week. :(
  • Just spoke to Mazda Customer Relations. They swear all parts will be in by this Friday and ALL 5's will be on the road by 11/4. :surprise:
  • The base MSRP CAD price was $19,999 - what was the US price ?

If they were different I'll certainly be chasing up the refund difference.
    They swear all parts will be in by this Friday and ALL 5's will be on the road by 11/4.

I guarantee that my Mazda5 will not be in service by 11/4. But that's not because of the recall, so I'm sure they weren't including me in that statement.
  • dontecdontec Posts: 9
    Hello everyone,

I spoke to Mazda USA and My dealer in Ohio. Both gave me the same response, that they started manufacturing kits in [non-permissible content removed] and Airbonning them to USA. The most interesting parts is, that the timing is off again: all cars should be done in 2-4 weeks from 24, which is exactly when " a BIG DEAL WARRANTY RESET" will start-Dec01.
    Mazda is very badly handling the situation: No official updates, misleading information from dealers and cust service.

PS. I called about two dozens of Mazda dealers here in Ohio, and nobody had received even a single kit.

I love the car, but I will never wait another month for them to fix this stupid heat shield.

Cheers
  • meg02meg02 Posts: 2
    We're waiting for our Mazda 5 to come in - delayed because of recall. The dealer calls us today to tell us that Japan has ceased production for at least two months. It'll be at least March until they're available again!! :cry: :cry:
  • I'm done. I'm tired of waiting. The extended warranty is a joke. Why even bother? Most people will have driven the 50.000 within 2-3 years, so they really aren't extending anything. The $500 pays for the extra money I have spent in filling up the MPV that is barely getting 19 miles per gallon. It has been in the dealership for 50 out of the 100 days we have owned it and I decided I am going to lemon law it. Has anybody started this process yet? Any suggestions/advice or how Mazda is handling these? :mad: :lemon: :mad:
  • Agree with everything you said mctwins. I too am interested in doing the lemon law pursuit now. I am so sick and tired of not getting a date from the dealer or from Mazda cust. service. I know you need to send a registered letter to mazda telling them you are officially pursuing the lemon law but after that I don't know what happens. Do you need a lawyer on your side or not? What address do you send the letter to? Not the dealership I presume.. Somebody help!!

Scott (why, oh why, did I not listen to the little voice in my head and buy an Odyssey?) :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    I sent the lemon-law letter to Mazda's Customer Mediation department last week. The NJ law requires that Mazda is given 10-day's notice of the customer's intent, before the customer can actually file the lemon law. So, I gave Mazda my "notice of intent", and their extra 10 days are up, but I haven't actually filed for the lemon law. Actually, I'm not even sure how I would go about doing that, what the next step would be. Mazda did not contact me about the letter, I haven't heard a thing. But Mazda Customer Service said there was a note about the letter in my profile, so they DID recieve it and are aware of it.

My interest in the lemon law stems from the fact that my car is NOT going to be returned to me in the same condition that I gave it to the dealer...the dealer damaged it and is still unwilling to pay for damages. So if I lemon-law the car (because it's been out of service for so long), I don't need to take the car back.

If anyone else DOES pursue the lemon-law, I'd be very interested in knowing how things go for you. Any way we could team up and pursue this as a group? Since the laws vary state-by-state, maybe not...
  • I got a call from my dealer (Performance Mazda in Ottawa, Ontario) yesterday, informing me that my 5 is ready and can be picked up. My persistent bugging them has paid off. I originally ordered the car the second week of July, and took delivery the Thursday after Labour Day. Three days later, I got the call asking me to return the car to the dealer. Finally, almost four months after my initial order, I have my car and can (hopefully) enjoy it. It's an indigo blue GT with 5 speed and 6 disc changer. Too bad we can't get the hard disk based sound system that is available in Europe. I also got the letter confirming the $CAD 500 cheque and warranty restart.

My biggest complaint has been the lack of information from Mazda Canada. My dealer has also expressed frustration. In fact, I never received a formal recall notice.
  • WE've had our Mazda 5 since July and love it. Recall and all, we still love it. In reading over some of these messages, I can't believe all of the anger and hostility towards the company. I think the recall was handled very well. Our last new car was a Ford and it kept going back to the dealer from the day after we purchased it (and once got hail damage when on the lot instead of covered at home). All we got was a "sorry about your luck." It's a first generation car and that's the risk that you run when you want the car now rather than in a few years. It still meets our needs better than anything else on the market and at it's excellent price. Unlike other manufacturers, Mazda didn't wait for many many cars to burn before accepting responsiblity for the problem. They acted. AND they provided a replacement vehicle. We're actually more concerned with the fact that an oil change requires a special tool and filter and our nearest dealership is about 45 miles away. Maybe we're not so frustrated because we chose to turn in our car later rather than earlier (after they determined the fix -- we called to see what was causing the problem and felt it was more of an operator issue than a vehicle issue) and got a Protege5 instead of an MPV. We're hoping that the fix won't affect the zippiness of our car. I'm actually thinking that I want another one.
  • I just got a call from my Fla dealer. The parts are vehicle specific by VIN # and some have come in. Of course mine was not included. Anyway a few Mazda%'s will be on the road in Fla today. The parts come in daily by FedX. :cry:
  • Make that Mazda5's.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    Actually the R-class spawned from the Pacifica which has been around for years, so I wouldn't say that the Mazda 5 is a trend leader in this category. But in the econ car class I'd say yes.
  • Called local dealer in North Florida today. According to the service manager, they recieved parts for all 6 cars today. They expect to call the owners either tomorrow or Monday, as they finish the vehicles. We shall see!
  • gyygyy Posts: 5
    I just called the dealer in CA, and they told me that they received a revised MEMO from Mazda that the parts won't be shipping out until 11/15. That's 3 weeks delay from the date that Mazda promised in its letter.

Anyone from CA got their cars back yet? Have you guys heard about this new NOV. 15 date?
  • I agree completely. Most of the people on this forum (with the exception of the poor guy whose car got flooded at the dealer) are being awfully whiney. OK yea, the lack of info from Mazda is frustrating, but really people, stop your complaining! You got a loaner (in most cases a brand new car), and now you're getting $500.00 too. Furthermore, I just lost a lot of respect for our Canadian neighbors when I saw the complaints about getting their $500.00 in Canadian Dollars. Geez, I thought Americans were the biggest babies in the world- grow up! Maybe you can get your refund in beer and back-bacon instead.
  • I called my dealer here in toronto. He said he's got 20+ cars in the garage, and so far, he received 2 kits for fixing. Therefore they have fixed 2 cars. They are fixing cars had already been driven first.

I guess I am somewhat behind in that line since I was going to pick it up on 9/17th, and they held on to it because it is recalled (I paid them though :-(, in order to get the mazda3 rental)

The business manager says all cars are probably going to be done by first week of november. Then again, what the hell does he know?

I wonder how Mazda is sending out the parts, are they feeding all dealers piece meal? rather than shipping parts to one dealer at a time, do they throw darts at a board to see who gets the next 2 kits? :-)
  • Although I agree with some people here that Mazda so far has handled this recall well but if what you are saying is true, I am beginning to get mad because I called the dealer here in TX and was told that they are getting the parts this week. I am expecting to get my car back next week. I would be very disappointed.
  • dontecdontec Posts: 9
    My dealer had called me today to give me an update. It looks like they will receive a KIT(1) or TWO(2) tomorow. This also could be true for the next week. It looks like they are sending 2 kits a week. With 8 cars on the lot with standart lic. plates and 2 with temps and beeing in the end of the line, I expect my car to be fixed by December 1. HAHA.
    As to the handling of the recall. As far as I could see, Mazda did not follow a single advice they teach people in the MBA programm. Very poor managements from mazda USA, bad management at the dealership makes is double dissapointment.
    Also, stop comparing Mazda to Ford. Ford has very bad reputation. Try to run it against Honda. I had owned 4 of them with 2 minor recalls and you should see how they handled it. It should be in the book.
    Mazda could make my life and life of others very easy by creating a dedicated WEB page for Mazda5 recall, by giving each owner a tracking number, which they could run against some trucking system and see, when to receive a car.
    And finaly, Mazda was not supposed to follow the American obesity way and drop a 2.3 engine in place of 2.0 car was desined for without changing a muffler. Last month I drove a 2.0 in D-land and it felt even faster then ours 2.3.
    By the way, Europian complain about clicking noise in the swing door area....Another possible recall....for...bad welds?...
    This is all very specific. I'm not compalining, I'm advicing.
  • Look the way I see it and I have expressed this in other forums is I believe people can gripe if they want, as long as their not being vulgar or using expletives. Being an owner of an M5 and appreciating the uniqueness and value of the vehicle was the reason that drove me to purchase. Probably the spirit of the recall and Mazda's response was noble but it does not remove the fact that some owners will not be driving the car they purchased for close to one to two months. Is this recall Mazda's fault only God knows but.....Cmom...it's very frustrating any way you coat it. I got fed up with the confusion involving the voluntary recall and I picked up my MT 5 after 3 weeks and have been driving it sans flames since then. The 500 duckets helps with car payments for that time but I do not believe that and the so called extended warranty is proper compensation for the frustration and inconvience that 5 owners have endured. You can call me whiney or tell me to go to the dark place but it does not remove from the fact of the fear of fires and loss and frustration that owners have experienced. I'm sure that some Mazda could have extended the warranty a little longer mileage wise and time wise, the 500 is nice but it is a peace offering of sorts to placate lemon law pursuee's. In my non legal opinion you should seek legal advice in these matters of law. Corporations give you the run around, and they will not offer to buy the 5 back :lemon: . I dont want to hear about Ford Dodge or Nissan recalls all have different corporate policies... some may disagree but thats why we write and post on these forums.....Man... it's an outlet and information hub that many dealers and corporations rather you not read.. Good luck owners especially smaria... :) :P Remember Don't fry alive! Dont drive your 5 in second at 65..
  • I'm done as well. In FL you must file 1st for mediation by sending notice to Mazda. It has been two weeks with no response. I am getting lawyer to assist with arbitration thru the state. I picked up my car on 9/14 on loan till my bank check came in. Dealer had two times to tell me in person about recall. I asked on 9/16 about other stock. I was told all sold out. Lies, lies, and more lies. Dropped off car 9/24 given a Chrysler Pacifica. $100 bucks a week in gas. Took it back when a Mazda 3 was available. Also, my options not yet installed to date. Dealer has been horrible. I had to follow up on ordering paid for options. Phone calls not returned, ect. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
This discussion has been closed.