Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5 Owners MPG-Real World Numbers

12345679»

Comments

• dean1966dean1966 Member Posts: 17
    Since you get very good hwy mpg, I'm guessing theres nothing wrong with your car, and your poor city milage is due to your driving style.

I get around 27mpg in city driving without trying too hard, but there are a couple of tips for manual shift 5's.

1) Avoid going over 3k rpm. At 3k, the variable valve timing shifts into the power mode, making much more power but also eating gas.
    2) Use engine braking to slow for stops. When the motors over around 2k rpm and you're off the throttle, the fuel injectors shut off completely.
    3) Short shift at around 2k rpm using fairly light throttle. The car makes good torque and can pretty easily keep up with traffic.
    4) always use the highest gear you can without the motor straining, incuding speeding back up after slowing down. The 5 will accerate from 35 mph in top gear just fine, and this helps economy considerably.

I do all 4 of these techniques without even thinking about them now, and passengers normally don't even notice I'm doing anything out of the ordinary.
  • davemplsdavempls Member Posts: 11
    Thanks. I've been trying to do all those things this last week (since I last filled up), so we'll see!

So far it doesn't *look* good, judging from the needle on the fuel tank gauge, but I'll have a better idea in a few days. I think I could work on the engine braking a bit, as that takes a bit of practice in the city...

Dave
    Well, I spent the last week employing all of the above techniques to save on gas in city driving - keeping the rpm's low by upshifting at strategic points, engine braking, etc.

The verdict is in, and my city mpg for this last tank was a whopping 16.6 mpg, and using premium gasoline at that!

It's a far cry from your 27 mpg in the city!

Oh well, I'll keep at it. Maybe it'll improve with practice, or there's something else I'm missing... (?!)

Dave

Dave
  • athenasiusathenasius Member Posts: 118
    You are making sure you do not use gas with any ethanol in it, when trying to get the most mileage from a tank. I hate the say the obvious. The Mazda engine is not designed to use ethanol but can tolerate up to 15%. If you are using gas with it in there you can lose up to 1/3 gas mileage depending on the strength. All of Mazda's and government figures use non ethanol gas for testing.
  • mohahamohaha Member Posts: 5
    That is low, but not too far off from my experience. I drive a 2008 Mazda 5 w/AT, and do a lot of what has been called "village" driving -- lots of stops and starts, and short trips where the engine may not get fully warmed up. With strictly that type of driving, I average 19-20 mpg. Mix in a bit of interstate driving on the weekends, and I may bump that up to the 22-25 range. Best ever was 33 -- but that was one long interstate trip w/ virtually no stops or slowdowns, and the cruise control set at 60 mph. (Which is not my usual speed.)
    I had forgotten about the ethanol angle when I went to fill up last week (!).

I'll give that a try this next time...

Dave
    I'm not sure why your results are'nt better. I'm also stuck using ethenol gas this time of year, but despite the very cold weather we're in I just tanked up with 15.2 gal at 390 miles for 25.6mpg.
    The worst I ever saw BTW was a hair under 20mpg during a two week cold snap with all short little commutes.

I play another little game that might help. I try to see how far I can get before the temp needle starts to move. The theory is that if your burning fuel slowly it takes more miles for the motor to warm up. This time of year cold starting at around 20 degrees, I can make it over 3 miles before the needle budges.

Dean
  • hurschelhhurschelh Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2011
    Bought a 2010 Mazda5 yesterday w/12,400 miles, and filled the tank, refilled it today at 197 miles and got 32.7MPG, call me a happy camper after the MDX at 19.3 MPG on premium.
  • jonat1xjonat1x Member Posts: 34
    And how do you like the car generally by comparison with the MDX?
    That's hard to say, I really liked the MDX, lots of luxury, but the 5 sure makes a lot more sense for our situation, especially with the gas prices headed north. I really like the 5 also, plenty of comfort and amenities to make me happy and the MPG makes the wallet a lot happier too. I haven't been able to drive the 5 yet due to hip replacement, it is easy to get in and out of too. I hope to get to wring it out in a couple of weeks.
  • 321zoom321zoom Member Posts: 4
    '09 GT w/ 16k miles on it in around 30-45 degree temps all very small 10-15 miles/day trips. Tank is JUST about 1/2 way with only 170miles. 15.9 gal fuel tank capacity will make an estimated low 20's mileage... quite disapointed! I'm coming from driving a Prius getting 49 so I'm spoiled but also versed in hypermiling techniques - used here. Keeping RPM sub 2k, short shifts, coasting, even shoving it into neutral a few times (though that's too much trouble), etc. I can see if tires are an issue but the car is "new." (D versus M doesn't seem to do much difference with RPM if you don't have a lead foot - all are 2k and under).

Hwy driving got 29 and I was doing average 75 (zero stops) so I know it'll go 30+ with legal-speeds.

Looking for better numbers! :confuse:
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    well, of course, estimating based on the fuel gauge is not very accurate. You'll have to calculate when you fill up.

I can tell you, however, that using neutral is a detriment to mileage. When you are in gear and lift off the gas, the injectors actually shut off, thereby giving you "infinity" fuel mileage. When you shift to neutral, you've disengaged the drivetrain, so now the car HAS to feed fuel to the engine to keep it idling, so you can't hit "infinity" doing it that way.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• ljmattox1ljmattox1 Member Posts: 10
    +1 on the gas gauge readings, my experience mirrors others who report 2.5 gals in the tank after "E" and the "going empty" light; so a 1/2 tank readout isn't of 15.9 gals, but perhaps 13.5 or so. That would change your math, but of course still pretty imprecise.

+1 on the "just lift" versus "shift to neutral" as well, for what's happening with the fuel system, very noticable on my ScanGauge II. Lift-off results in infinity readings (fuel shut off), neutral idling returned varied results, but never infinity.

HTH. As you note, however, Prius-like, it isn't but decent for what it is. I see 26-28 mpg on 70% highway commuting; lowest ever was 23mpg following an Audi/Corvette "parade" in the fast lane for the good part of a tankful; "Oh, we're here already, made good time!". Yes, we did! I've had a tank at 32-33 a couple of times, all interstate and 60'ish, just to see how I could stretch it. 2010 Sport 5MT.
    Thanks for the "neutral" info - good to know. Only did it a few times to see what it's like - don't like it (glad it doesn't work). I was estimating before a fill-up (as it'll be a while with all the short trips/day). I'll get real world numbers once re-tanked.

In the meanwhile I was researching modifications to an ICE that could be had to squeeze more. Seems like intake/exhaust is the answer but would hate the apparent ensuing noise from the exhaust (even with resonators). Gas reaching the $4 range soon enough, payback will be faster and faster with any initial investment...

Thanks again - will report back in a week or so after a fresh tank.
    We've used 5 tanks since trading for a '10 Mazda5 automatic, average 28.4 mpg. happy with that waiting to try a road trip.
    Still amazed by all these reports of great mileage with the 5. I finally managed to achieve 20.3 mpg (city) with ethanol-free gas and very close attention to rpm's/shifting, but 25, let alone 28, seems impossible to comprehend!

Dave
  • laiyanglaiyang Member Posts: 1
    Just completed a trip to Myrtle Beach - for 420 miles round trip, we got 32 mpg. Most are highways. Speed around 68 mile/hour
    Update on the fill-up: 24.4mpg

Got to the yellow warning light before I filled up and ended up with 322 miles (13.19 gallons)

This is 1/2 of our Prius so of course I'm not all that jazzed (though I'm sure if I compared to an Explorer or Highlander, I'd feel different). Again, I practiced much of the hyper-miling techniques and this was all-city very short trip driving. This current tank my wife drove (she doesn't know the word hyper-miling) and am driving with traffic (faster acceleration to speed limit) to see "real world" numbers to compare to. I will guess that I'll be in the low 20s this time.

Other than mileage, so far this car/minivan/whatever is awesome!
    Dave,

Guessing you're doing all city driving. Some hints:

A biggie to watch is acceleration. The more you ease the car to the wanted speed the better.

When you see a red light (or break lights) WAY up ahead, foot off pedal & coast. Treat your break as your enemy because you're wasting momentum that could be used for "free" distance without gas.

See if at least these 2 easy things makes a difference for you.
  • lcostantinolcostantino Member Posts: 21
    Just turned 98,000 miles. 70% LA freeway and 30% street - averaging 24MPG. Highs of 27, lows of 22. Not bad, considering the sticker is 21/26.
    It always suprises me that not everyone is getting at least high 20's for hwy trips. I just got back from a trip from milwaukee to south haven MI, a total trip of 435 miles that included getting caught in bad traffic on the dan ryan expressway, and my low fuel light is'nt even on yet. The tank will probally be around 30-31 mpg, and I really did'nt do anything special except avoid speeding and use the cruise control.

As far as telling fuel mpg from the gas gauge, I've found that starting from a completely topped up tank that 1/2 tank is almost exactly 10 gallons used and the low fuel light comes on at nearly exactly 15 gals used.

This info is useful as you can see how your doing while still driving by doing some basic mental math. I for instance am pleased to see 300 miles at 1/2 tank as I know I'm getting at least 30 mpg.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    What highway speeds were you maintaining? About 60mph?
  • lcostantinolcostantino Member Posts: 21
    Average fwy speeds are around 70-75 in my neck of the woods, until you head closer to LA, then stop/go to around 25MPH.
    No, I just went whatever speed limit there was, which was 65 for around 2/3rds and 70 going up michigans coast. I was also pretty heavily loaded with 4 adults and all their stuff for a 4 day weekend. The back of the car was completely full.

I finally tanked up yesterday, and put in 15.02 gallons in with 474 on the odo for 31.56mpg.
    I am suprised it was quite that high considering the horrible traffic jam I got caught in on the way there on the dan ryan exp. My trip out took 45 minutes longer than on the way back and it was all added in stop and go traffic on the ryan.
  • classicclimberclassicclimber Member Posts: 1
    I'm not clear on this, but my 2008 5 indicates that max pressure should be 34 psi, but my Bridgestone Potenzas say they can go up to 40 psi.

Which max level should I go with to maximize fuel economy? Owner's manual or specific tire levels?
  • ljmattox1ljmattox1 Member Posts: 10
    I've always experimented with tire pressure to improve mileage. The sidewall will list max pressure for that particular tire, the upper safe limit according to the mfr.

The auto mfr. will list their recommended pressure, based on their testing for a good combination of handling response, ride quality, and other factors. And of course, staying within the tire's upper safe limit.

Many "improve your fuel economy" articles will recommend stock setting +10%, and that's not a bad place to start.

My 2010 5MT was delivered with 39psi, and I ran it that way until my first oil change/tire rotation. I dropped it to the recommended 34, wanting to see if the ride quality would improve (not that I found fault with it, was very acceptable at that level). I didn't notice any change, so I put them back to 39 all around, have run them that way ever since (now at 35,000 miles).

I don't have any wear "issues" (like wearing out the center before the edges, etc.) so I'm happy with this.

Experiment away, if you like. Some cars (not these 5s) will call for a different pressure front/rear to preserve the handling / response behavior that the factory engineered. If you're playing with tire pressure settings, just be sure to keep this differential intact. E.g., running 25/30 f/r, could go to 28/33 or 31/36 and so on, keeping that 5psi differential as you experiment.
  • nutdrivernutdriver Member Posts: 5
    My mazda 5 gets 23 city & 26 hwy. I thought it would be better , my Honda civic got 32 city & 41 hwy. but the mazda is a much roomer van, so all in all i'm o k with it.
  • whobodymwhobodym Member Posts: 190
    Real data recorded from almost every gas purchase (250 times) from March 2006 to now. 2006 MZ5 Touring 5MT. Driving mostly urban short trips, we live inside Seattle city limits. 2 or 3 tanks assumed equal to average because we forgot to write down.

68514 total miles, 2987.0 total gallons, average 23.2 miles per US gallon

Its one longest (by far) trip was Seattle-Saskatoon-Detroit-Maine-Tennessee-Santa Fe-Seattle, with 3 bicycles on hitch rack, cargo box on roof rack, and lots of other junk, highway speeds in 70s: 8804 miles / 345.0 gal = 25.5 mi / USG

Anyone got us beat on long-trip length??
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    We've owned our 2010 Mazda5 Sport manual for a bit over a year now. We like the vehicle a lot. We took it on one big hwy trip with 6 passengers and lots of luggage. The luggage was in our optional luggage carrier from Thule that went on the roof. Got mpg of 25 as I recall, which considering it was probably carrying about its maximum load of c. 1200 pounds is not that bad. On one shorter trip with less luggage and 4 people we got 27- 28 mpg city. I tend to go 70 on the hwy.

In the city we get about 21-23--and so just about what the epa said we'd get at 22.

Like the sporty handling a lot. Like the sliding doors. And I like that I'm driving something somewhat unusual--although actually the Mazda5 seems to be pretty popular in Louisville KY.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • manofsteel2397manofsteel2397 Member Posts: 2
    well i bouth my 08 mazda 5 GT mid march and was getting average 26 mpg then i started using the slap stick and increased the mpg to a little over 27mpg then about a month ago i started getting around 30mpg didn't change anything at all not complaining so im very impressed this is mostly highway miles but there is quite a few city miles too. I do use the cruise when possible on the highway and set it around 70 to 72.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    your mpg increased in may due to the summer gas blend. winter gas blend reduces mpg, as does the colder conditions.
  • vicenacvicenac Member Posts: 229
    We are only getting 23 ish on the highway. I guess I can never measure it accurately because all our long trips are done with the car fully loaded inside (kids) and a filled cargo box on top. Plus having kids brings a lot of urgency to the trip 80-90MPH R US.
    I think 23-24 MPG is outstanding!
  • larry8061larry8061 Member Posts: 37
    On my 08 Manual. I typically got 26-28 can get it to 29 if I pay attention. Then I added the AEM CAI and it went essentially to 27-29MPG.

I'd also suggest being a bit cautious on assumptions based on Scanguage information, prediciated on shifting to neutral versus just letting up. There are some electronics involved there that may not be giving you the information you think you are getting.
  • dona83dona83 Member Posts: 67
    24.5 MPG overall average. My average city tank is 22 MPG, my worst city tank is 19.5 MPG, my average highway trip is 28 MPG And my best highway tank is 35 MPG just a few days ago. I was driving slow (55-60 MPH) due to below freezing temperatures and risk of ice on the twisty mountain road.