Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Thanks for the info, I now remember you mentioning that earlier :blush: ... Post some pics when available, that will definitely make it a rare find and a must get (almost like a collectible :D)

Added:
    I can see the pictures now for the Ohio one, great find!!
  • Min (nihao4587): I paid a few hundred more (selling & total price) around new years for my 2008 Mazda5 Sport with manual transmission. The fees and tax sound about right. I was happy with my buying experience at Menlo Mazda (Redwood City). Please check in after you purchase and let us know how you did.
  • Price quotes updates (from San Francisco Bay Area):

Menlo Mazda: 19,300
    Fremont Mazda: 18,536
    Oakland Mazda: 18,436 (used to be 19,003 before I showed them the offer from Fremont)

Both are out-of-door prices. Should I grab the best one now or do you think the price of '08 Mazda5 sport MT will be significantly lower after mid-year? I planned to buy the car when it first came out, but I am not in a hurry by any means.

Thanks.
    min
  • Edmunds is showing the Lease special going on. I'm new to leasing and have a question. It reads: "Lease is based on a 2008 Mazda5 Grand Touring. Dealer may contribute up to $250 towards the $296 monthly special." What does the word "contribute" mean? I also don't understand how they want a $1,405 down payment but $2,296 is due at signing. What's the extra amount for?

Thanks in advance.
  • I won't tackle the first question, because I've never seen an ad phrased that way before. I can give you at least a partial answer to the second question. A lot of dealers require you to make the first month's payment when you sign the contract, and that is not usually included in the down payment. There could also be a security deposit required that's not included in the down payment. I would try to stay away from the deal if that's the case, though, because most good lease deals waive any security deposit nowadays. Read the fine print -- most of the answers are there if you look closely.
  • edikedik Posts: 8
    Two days ago I paid in Jacksonville,FL
    2008 Mazda5 Sport Auto with Pop.Eq. package $18450.
    Out of the door price ~19500.

Almost got an optional fog lights for the same price, but I've made a mistake by going to another dealership (B) and telling them the quotes from the previous one (A).
    As it came out later, they were affiliates and they contacted each other.
    Dealer B gave me ridicoluosly low price for trade-in and high price for the new one.
    It gave dealer A the opportunity to erase from the original deal the fog lights - "we gave you the good price anyway, even without the fog light, we know that you went to dealer B and know what numbers they proposed".

Since we have only 3 dealers in the city in can be the scheme.
    I would give an advise, do not tell the quote from another dealer (unless you are 100% positive they are not related) - if they want to give you a good price, they will give you anyway (if you not afraid of giving them crazy_low_numbers), but do not give them the opportunity to play with you.

P.S. I love the car!
  • it is good that you love the car. these car dealers i think i have an advantage over buyers because they have done the selling many times before and know the routine. know when the buyer is going to buy anyway. for us the buyers : it is one experience or multiple but limited to number of cars we buy. i think the dealer A should have kept his word/deal instead of removing the fog lights. if you have the deal in writing you could still try. you could go to the manager or say you would. overall i think you did well to choose a good vehicle and to do some comparison shopping and know that it is best deal you could have got anyway. did you get e-mail or fax quotes? and then bargain further from there? i do not know how far it works and how much lower one can go from receiving the 'free quote', 'quote from web site'. how is the mpg so far?
  • edikedik Posts: 8
    You right, we can't beat them in this selling-buying department. And I'm absolutely positive, even if you feel you got a good deal, there will be always the area where you lost.
    I did not have a chance to talk to the manager (he was late on Fri) but I left a message and still waiting for his call. The dealer himself did not care if i go to the manager.
    You are right, once you've made a promise you have to keep it (it was in writing in Email), but for him(them) it was all conditional.

The mpg I did not have a chance to measure it properly yet - still running on the first tank, but by how the analog moving it looks like it can be 24-25. (straight roads driving with min traffic and lights)
  • tyggertygger Posts: 59
    Hi everyone,

I went to the dealer to negotiate for a grand touring w/ auto trans and have a few questions.

1. Is the invoice price on the sticker window the invoice I should be going by?

2. I got quoted $21000, but when I told them I wanted the 1.9% financing, they wanted to add $500 to the cost. Is this right?

3. What price should I be targeting for a automatic grand touring?

Thank you in advanced.
  • kivokivo Posts: 64
    I have the Consumer Reports New Car Price Report for the Mazda5. For the Grand Touring, the total MSRP is $23000, including the $635 destination charge. The CR Bottom Line Price is $21111, so it looks like your $21000 was a good deal. Anything close to $21111 is good. I'll be looking in a few weeks for the same thing.
  • cydwelcydwel Posts: 3
    From Blue Ridge Mazda, Lee's Summit, Missouri
    Mazda 5 Grand Touring / Stormy Blue Mica
    Added Port Installed Options:
    Sirius Satellite Radio
    Remote Start
    Auto-Dimming Mirror w/ Homelink
    All Weather Mats
    Rear Bumper Protector
    Wheel Locks
    Bottom Line w/ Destination: $23,520 (about $1K over invoice :( )

But this is still $980 less than having those items added at another dealer who had a copper red one on the lot with only the rear bumper protector.

Now we just have to wait... and wait... and wait.
  • randyl1randyl1 Posts: 2
    Just signed for a silver 2008 Mazda 5, GT (Canadian model) with leather and auto. Funny that I didn't read much from this forum about this car until after I bought it.

The out of door price is insane comparing to the US price (cdn $32,100), in addition to what come with a GT leather, I also got the rust proof, under coating, and paint protection, cargo cover, and all weather mats. I think I could drive the price down another 200 - 300 but was too excited ;-)

We considered Honda CRV (1st choice at time), and Toyota RAV4. Really liked the 08 CRV but really hate the fact Honda Canada thinks the Canadian customers are all suckers. The EX we liked (moon roof, no leather) would be around $40,000 on the road. And that is more expensive than a RAV4, V6, 7 seater. We have a Civic ( just sold my Del Sol the day before buying the 5), we thought we'd be lifetime Honda customers but sad to say they have completely lost us.

BTW, I know the price is much higher in Canada, so the same applies here to with the 5. But at least there is the 0% financing for 60 months so that's like a few thousand saving over the years.

Anyway, very happy for the decision made. The only problem is we have to wait for probably over a month as ours is in production this month in Japan. The sales manager told us it would be at least a month before we get it. He also said if MSRP drops before we get the car, we'll get the difference too, and we'll get the 0% no matter what. So, I'm now hoping they drop the price on 5 and lift the 0% ;-)
  • gschulzgschulz Posts: 17
    Mazda 5 Touring
    Options:
    Crystal White Pearl Mica paint
    Remote Start
    Auto-Dimming Mirror w/compass
    All Weather Mats
    Rear Bumper Protector
    Front Splash Guards
    Bottom Line w/ Destination: $20,405.00 plus $125.00 paper fee, tax, title, license.

Great buying experience, very happy with my decision for a Mazda5, and Morrie’s Chippewa Valley Mazda, all they sell at that dealership are Mazda’s might be a good reason they do such a good job.
  • hondax2hondax2 Posts: 9
    From: Kennedy Mazda in Valparaiso, IN (far suburban Chicago)
    Mazda5 Grand Touring in Copper Red
    Options:
    Mirror w/Homelink and compass
    rear bumper guard
    cargo cover
    all-weather floormats
    Took the special financing: 1.9/3.9
    Price including options: $22,450

Had to wait just less than a month for them to track down the color I wanted. The dealership was easy to work with--especially liked the sales manager. I was very pleased with the price. I almost feel guilty knowing how much our Canadian cousins are paying. However, I do owe several hundred dollars in medical bills at the moment...maybe, I don't feel so bad.
  • renu_prenu_p Posts: 6
    hondax2 (mazdax2 now),
    i assume this includes destination charge. and does not include tax/registration. did they put too many additional fees like doc fee, credit check fee.
    That is correct--destination charge was included. There were no additional fees beyond what the state and county charges for tax/title/registration.
  • renu_prenu_p Posts: 6
    Does $22,450 include the taxes?
    No--Indiana sales tax of 7% was added as were the titling fees charged by the state. At registration, Indiana residents also pay the county excise tax on the vehicle. I took advantage of Mazda's 1.9-3.9% financing incentive, too.
  • 01le01le Posts: 18
    I just bought mine last night and it's my first brand new car ever. Double whammy of excitement, for me. I paid $18,400 that includes destination but taxes & reg. excluded. I got the 4.9% financing and the dealer gave me $1,000 more for my trade than the next closest dealer offered. I did the edmunds.com dealer price quote search and every dealer came back at $18,900 and none would budge from their quotes. Then I e-mailed a dealer I found on autotrader.com that had 11 Mazda5 in stock. They came back at $18,400 and would not budge on their price. Finally I got them to throw in tinted windows for every window except winshield of course and they agreed. Thats a $250+ value according to 2 local shops I called this morning. I hope I did good, please give me your opinions.
  • x5savx5sav Posts: 44
    Stop thinking about the price you paid now. ENJOY your car and congratulation. :)
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Posts: 525
    +1, any opinion is too late :D, just drive and have fun
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,032
    A reporter with a large national newspaper is interested in talking with owners who had considered purchasing a Chrysler Town & Country or Dodge Caravan. If you had considered one of these vehicles and purchased another one instead, please contact Chintan Talati at ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, May 9.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• dave594dave594 Posts: 218
    We were shopping for a replacement for our 10 year old Odyssey, and wanted to downsize and looked at the M5. We liked the M5 sport and wanted to deal with the dealer, hoping to get an OTD price of about $18k. They are holding firm to their offer of $18,700. So we went to the Scion dealer just out of interest, and the xB really blew us away for the value. Yeah, we'll miss the 3rd row seats, but for $15,400 we get everything we want (power everything, AC, traction control, ABS, VSC), and with the manual tranny we save $1k. That price includes freight. OTD is about $16k including tax.
  • prosendprosend Posts: 7
    We just picked up our new car last week. It has been raining steadily since then, but driving it in the rain is great. We got the GT pkg b/c I wanted leather seats. I didn't really care about the auto on lights and wipers but using them in the rain this week has been fantastic. I am totally spoiled.

We actually used the Edmunds dealer link at the TMV page. We got great response and pricing. I do think the dealers are suffering for sales and that helped us get a great price. We got one response from a dealer in Annapolis that was willing to drive a car to us to test drive and check out. That is 60 miles each way. We went with our local dealer.

We got a price of $20,290 from Brown's in Alexandria for the GT version. No other options. Tags, taxes fees etc. added another grand back to the cost.

We took the price to the local Brown's Fairfax Mazda and they matched it for us. Great service. They called all around and got us a vehicle the next day. Even threw in the mats, the bumper protector and wheel locks that were already on the unit.

They did play the trade-in game, but they came close and we gave on that.

We went with the Mazda financing.

The car is fantastic. It fits me, small mom, perfect and the kids love it. The seats are a dream to fold up and down. The dog loves the center aisle to get to the back. It is the same length as the Passatt wagon we traded in. It has a taller roof line.

It is so cute. We parked it next to a "real van" at McDonald's and it looks like a baby van. I am super happy with my mini-mini van!
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Posts: 525
    Yikes, a Scion would never be on my list of Mazda5 potential runner-ups but the most important part is that you really seem happy with your purchase and the deal, enjoy the car!
  • dave594dave594 Posts: 218
    I know it may seem strange to you, but $3k in savings, plus getting TC and VSC. On the downside we lost the third row (which we rarely ever use). I can be happy with it.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    If you went down to 2 rows, there's the Nissan Versa, Honda Fit, Toyota Matrix, and a lot of others to compare against too if you don't need a 3rd row, but you don't want a small sedan.
  • I got Mazda 5 Sport manual in Massachusetts.
    I paid $17,499 plus $239 doc fees = OTP of $17,738
    On top of that I had to pay $1059 for tax and registration (you don't pay tax on the trade in value in my state).
    It's silver with black seats.
    I bought cargo cover and net on mazdastuff website. They haven't arrived yet. I'm annoyed that it doesn't have center console cover (what's up with that) so I can't keep money there.
  • bbork10002bbork10002 Posts: 6
    I just called a Mazda dealer in NJ and was given a quote of $17200 for a Mazda5 Sport Automatic color gray. According to the person I spoke to, MSRP is $19,645. I didn't see that MSRP figure in Edmunds.com for Mazda5 Sport Automatic. I saw instead MSRP $18,945, INVOICE $17,734, and TMV $18,174 for "2008 Mazda MAZDA5 Sport 4dr Minivan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)".

So with a TMV of $18,174, I think the price quote of $17,200 is very good.

My question is, is quote over the phone any good? Will they change the number once I visit? I made sure they won't but it's all verbal.

I called another Mazda dealer in the same NJ area who told me phone quotes are no good. They just want me in the store then change the quote. He said if I go to him, he'll give me a quote that won't change. But he won't give a quote over the phone, though.

Who do I believe? Thanks!
  • prosendprosend Posts: 7
    I agree with that salesman that quotes over the phone are no good. :cry:

GET YOUR QUOTES IN EMAIL. This will list all options, taxes fees etc. Take it to the closest dealer or the one you are most likley to use for service and I bet they will match no problem.