Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• danixdanix Posts: 19
    What facts are you basing this statement on?
    I really don't care if they charge it back or not, since I don't plan on driving from SF to LA to get my oil changed.
    But I have a feeling this is just more misinformation.
  • audia8q is a Mazda dealer...

And.. he is correct... If you pay off the loan before the 3rd payment, then the dealer will get a chargeback on the loan...

regards,
    kyfdx

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

OK, then the dealership lied to me, saying that I could not pay off the loan immediately. It may be in their best interest to have me hang onto the loan, but I am under no obligation to do so.

The dealership does not have the ability to revoke the $1000 credit, I assume?
  • No... the dealer would have nothing to do with the credit rebate..

You'd have to check with Mazda Credit about it... My guess is that once you've received the rebate, it is a done deal.. But, I'd check the fine print.

Really.. the amount of interest over 90 days is minimal...

regards,
    kyfdx

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

2 emails to MAC produced only canned replies about "what is interest". I called and spoke to 2 people at Mazda and neither could answer my questions.

I know that on my paperwork, nothing says I have to keep the loan open for any amount of time. I assumed that the dealer telling me to keep it open for 3 months was the same as telling me what a great deal the aftermarket alarm at $450 was - lies.

I'm disappointed that Mazda can't make their policy and promotions more clear. My check's already in the mail, so if the dealer eats $1000, so be it.
  • Yes, the finance manager did explain the rebate would get charged back to Mazda. The salesman did not know. We put a fair amount on our down payment, so MAC interest will only be $100 or so, which is a fair trade for the $1000 rebate. Well... I guess it is more like a one-sided trade in my favor!
  • d5ad5a Posts: 64
    Been looking for the past two months at getting a larger car. Keep coming back to the Mazda brand. Have a dealer offering me a new 2006 MPV LX-SV with a MSRP of 23,710 out the door for 17,500. The MPV has a few options like rear air, Cargo net and roof rack and floor mates but i would have to add privacy tint to the rear glass. Also have another Mazda Dealer offering me a 2007 Mazda 5 touring with a sticker of 20,695 on the road for 20,880. The 5 has a sunroof and automatic air, rear bumper guard and floor mates also. I cant decided which car will be the best one over the long haul. Should I save the money and go with the MPV and hope its a good van, but fear taking a loss on the resale value due to it being an older model, or should I pay more and get a newer style Mazda 5. Each car has its pros and cons just trying to figure out which one will be best for the next 5 or so years. I'm worry the MPV may not be as reliable due to having a ford engine but not sure if the 5 is any better with it being a new model. Any words of wisdom would greatly be apprecaited. Also please tell me your thought on the prices I have been offered. Thanks everyone for your help!
  • The reason they can get you a much better deal on the 2006 MPV compared to the 2007 Mazda5 is the MPV is now discountined as of 2006, while the Mazda5 has been out for 2 years now, and gaining in sales as people realize that you get more bang for the buck and standard features for a smaller price. If you want more room than the Mazda 5 yet don't mind spending the money, consider the Mazda CX-9 coming to dealers mid January.
    When i'm sitting inside the Mazda 5 it seems to have a better fit as far as arm placement however the weird thing to me is there is no arm rest for the passenger or arm rest for the rear passagers on the rear doors. The MPV give much more room which I prefer for trips plus I'm tall and I like that it sits higher for ease of getting in and out. I also like that it has more leg room up front but as far as rear leg room they both seem to be the same. The downfall to me is the MPV looks old, basic style wise. The MPV looks like a base model car on the exterior and looks like a minivan. The interior is nice looking more upscale to me then the 5, but the exterior is lacking. The Mazda 5 interior seems cheaper but durable then the MPV's but and exterior seems 100% nicer. Newer styling, fog lights, sunroof. Just seems more updated. Have a small family and have decided to go to one income I.E. now one car. So the next car will have to fit all our needs. Want room but want reliability not sure about either of them in that case. I also fear the resale value on both especially the MPV since this is its last year. After looking at the honda and toyota vans they are just to expensive for us. I keep thinking what other car can i get with as much room as the MPV for 16,400 plus tax and tags so does that make it worth it? Do i go with the cheapest thing I can find and live with it for many years or spend more money to make me feel like i have a newer car but have a larger car payment that may get in the way of our expenses but make me feel less like a soccer dad.
  • fred222fred222 Posts: 200
    I was looking at Mazda 5s a couple of months ago but have quit now. Before I quit I had a quote from University Mazda in Seattle of $16.8k for a new 2006 Sport 5 speed with additional $1000 cash back from Mazda making the price $15.8k.
    Also, take a look at the Kia Rondo if you really want this type of vehicle. We have a Honda Odyssey which is about twice the vehicle a Mazda 5 is. You will have to spend more money for the Honda, but it is a vehicle you can live with as you family grows. If you need to haul anything the Honda can take 4'x8' sheets of plywood with room to spare with the back closed.
    thanks for your input. I love the Honda but its out of our price range. Going to a one income family and a one car family to have someone at home with the kids. The honda would make me feel safe from a reliability stand point but cant swing it at this time. looked at a toyota sennia for $22,000 plus tax and tags but it has nothing on it. So wondering if the Mazda 5 or MPV will work for us. :confuse:
  • wusterwuster Posts: 153
    Personally, I think the Mazda5 will do better in a crash vs a MPV.

As mentioned earlier, the current MPV is at the end of it's current life cycle, so it's safety features were designed 5 years ago (e.g., can't get side curtain air bags).

The 5 on the other hand is new (can't call it brand new anymore, cause it's been out for two years now), and based European and asian crash testing results, it's done quite well. Though I'm not sure why the IIHS still haven't tested the 5 yet.

We've owned our 5 for over a year now, and it's been great. The car handles well, we can sit six if needed, and it gets decent gas mileage.

Its smaller size was also a big bonus for us. My wife transition from a first gen CRV to the 5 without any issues. Where as she was very uncomfortable driving the Odessy and Sienna when we test drove them. Not to mention a year ago, I couldn't get an Odessy LX or Sienna LE for under $22k.

It all comes down to what you need. If you do a lot of local driving with a crew of 4 or less in an crowded area with small parking spots. The 5 is a good bet. If you have a crew of 4 or more, and need the extra space, I'd go with the Sienna or Odessy.

Good luck! :)
  • I've owned both an MPV and a Mazda5. Our experience with the MPV was mixed, at best - it was pleasant enough but we had a large number of problems (all of which were fixed under the warranty). Many of those were related to the transmission.

Shortly before the warranty expired, we got rid of it and bought the five. Better warranty (although I guess that's not true for the '07s), better airbags, better gas mileage, and we could get a 5-speed.

I'd buy another 5; I don't think I'd take another MPV no matter how good the deal.
    Wish I had seen your review before last night. I did decided to purchase a 06 MPV over the 5. brought it home last night. Went with it due to the room and the price over the 5. Had a really hard time thinking which van would fit us the best. Decided on the MPV due to a roomier interior and a much lower cost for a more expensive van. Now wishing I may have bought a 5 if the MPV is going to be problems. Only had the van for a day and I'm liking it. I did notice the grab handle on the back of the passengers seat is broken. Has anyone else had issues with the handles? They seem flimsy. It's no sports car and it doesnt have the sporty look of the 5 but it is what it is.

What year was your van? I had read many postings about the transmission and had some worries about it but it seemed to be on older models. I saw that the MPV was a 5 gear auto and the Mazda 5 was only a 4 speed auto. I thought the 5 speed auto would let the engine rev lower and save gas plus make for a quite ride. thinking the 5 speed auto would Cause the engine to not work as hard as the Mazda 5's. I'm hoping the 06 year is ok. We test drove a toyota sennia and the transmission drove me crazy. It was horrible. Drove 2 of them just to see if it was a problem in just one van. It wasn't. It shifted back and forth and waited to long inbeweteen gears. The mazda didn't do that at all and was much smoother when changing gears. I'm 37 and have never owned an automatic transmission and the MPV seems to not drive me crazy. Most automatics due because I'm wondering why are they changing gears and I hate feeling the gear changes. I'm ok so far in the MPV. It also felt faster and more like a car then a van. That was one reason to go to the mazda's

Hears hoping I made a good decision with the MPV. any advise is always welcome.

Thanks! :confuse:
  • Just got a Sport manual through Congressional Motors in Rockville, MD - 17.1K + TTL. Worked through the internet department - very helpful and quick to quote. Though they did send me an e-mail 3 days after picking it up that would have knocked another $200 off the price :(

Love the car so far - people call it underpowered but they must not have driven my 97 Protege and its 92 horsepower 4 - now that's underpowered. :) I'm struck by how high the car actually sits - it's a good 10" taller than the Protege.
  • Since you mentioned that you can sit 6 if needed, how uncomfortable is it? I would be buying the 5 for my family which is me, my husband, and my kids who are 10,6 and 1. I figure the older two will sit in the back and the baby will be in the middle seat but I don't want them to be squished. How is the leg room?
  • wusterwuster Posts: 153
    It's not bad. We've had six people in the 5 several times, and the middle row has quite a bit of room to slide back and forth to give the 3rd row passenger leg room.

I'm 5'6" and didn't have any problem in the 3rd row. Though I do need to point out that it is not as big as a regular mini-van, and when you have the 3rd row up, there isn't much room for storage.

We've got two small kids (3 and 10 months), so the 5 works great for us. My wife also refused to drive a mini-van or large SUV, and the 5 is classified as a wagon by DOT. :)
  • I agree. The legroom in the 3rd row is fine, especially for a child.

But you may want to have only one of the older kids sit in the 3rd row. That way you could fold the other seat down, which would give you enough room for several grocery bags.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    With the 1yr old in the 2nd row, you could slide that seat up pretty far to give more legroom for the 3rd row. I agree with the poster who said it's better to put another kid, probably the 6yr old in a car seat in the 2nd row also, so you can fold one of the 3rd row seats to get some storage space, since the storage space behind the 3rd row is pretty small.

The 10yr old will easily be able to get to the 3rd row between the 2nd row seats, so even with car seats in both 2nd row seats, the 10yr old can access the back. The only thing is that with 1/2 the 3rd row folded flat for luggage, groceries, strollers, etc., all that stuff is going to be sitting right beside the 10 year old in the 3rd row, so you'll want to make sure you secure it somehow. Otherwise, you'll go around a corner too fast and all the groceries will be in the 10yr old's lap!

Would the mazda5 be your "big" car? To me the mazda5 is perfect for a family with 2 kids who occasionally need space for a couple of more people, but with 3 kids in it all of the time, if this is your "big" car, than to me it's too small, mostly because of the lack of storage space behind the 3rd row and I wouldn't want to have a 10yr old sitting in the 3rd row with a mountain of stuff ready to fall on him on a regular basis. But if you already have a bigger 3 row vehicle, then the mazda5 is also a great backup car, since you can always use the bigger one if you need the storage space.

Here's the mazda5 webpage. They do have a lot of picturs and videos, but it would have been nice if in one of the videos or photos they actually showed 6 people getting into the car.

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsMain&vehi- cleCode=MZ5&campId=934

What are you currently driving now?
  • Hi everyone - after an exhaustive search for our new car, I think we have settled on a Mazda5. Our local dealer has several 2006 Mazda5s left, in addition to a number of '07s. Anyone have any recent experiences? How much of a discount under MSRP do you think is possible?

Thanks in advance,

Caroline