Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• smariasmaria Posts: 279
    That does seem like a great deal...I got $600 under MSRP.

I wonder if prices are going to drop because of the recall?

Steve
  • I hope so coz i am ready to buy one... :P
  • I too have been working on the Gerber rebate but may be too late. Gerber emailed me back today saying they would not be sending me a copy of the offer because it has expired. I called Mazda customer service and she explained that if I sent the coupon (which I'll have to find at the library or some doctor's office) and sent it to Mazda along with the Mazda certificate number I have, they might honor the rebate. She also said the $500 would now be coming from Gerber. Doesn't sound too good to me. By the way, I can't quite remember what my Mazda 5 looked like.
  • bwatersbwaters Posts: 52
    We also had a terrible experience when we purchased our Mazda5 at Whitten Bros. Trying to tack on the $295 etching fee wasn't the worst of it. That just added insult to injury. I won't go into details but if roverton wants to email me, we can compare notes and both send letters to Mazda.
  • i called mazda today. i ask if there any rebate coming up due to 5 recall. he told me possible but it's going to be next month though.....what do you think..
  • Hi,baxtersit ,

When did you purchased the car? My friend has an email from mazda usa saying if the car was purchased BETWEEN 08/17/2005 AND 10/17/2005 and if you have the certificate number from mazdausa through email, you could mail them to apply for the $500 rebate.

I did try but not get any reply yet.
  • I purchased the 5 on 9/8. I don't have the Gerber coupon or ad so I'll go the library and see what I can find. If you can forward your friend's email that would be great. Thanks.
  • I purchased 9/16 this is the first I have heard of a buyers rebate.
  • smariasmaria Posts: 279
    There's no blanket rebate (i.e., no rebate covering all Mazda5 sales), but there are $500-off certificates that are given to people who attend the Zoom Zoom Live events. There also was a (now discontinued) program through Gerber to give out some additional $500-off certificates. These certificates aren't specific to the Mazda5, but are good for any Mazda vehicle purchase.
  • I posted earlier that I paid $16,300 for a Mazda5 5 speed with no options. Mazda customer service just told me that the $500 Gerber rebate check is in the mail (I initially wasn't sure I qualified)! That brings my price down to $15,800. If I can count the $500 recall check, that brings my final price to $15,300. Either way I'm smiling and glad I didn't get a used CRV or Forester... I'm excited to be getting my 5 back.

$16,800 - $500 zoom-zoom rebate - $500 Gerber rebate = $15,800
    No trade. No dealer financing. No extended warranty.
    $380 dealer document fee tacked on, plus tax, title, and license.
  • kev604kev604 Posts: 30
    Got CDN$1110 off.
    Here's the story I purchased a Platinum Silver 2006 Mazda5 GT Automatic with Climate Control on Sep29 from a dealership in Vancouver, Canada. MSRP for the vehicle was CDN$25000.00 freight and pdi another $1310. A couple of dealerships were actually wanting $100 over MSRP. Called all the dealerships finally found two who were willing to knock $500 off the price. Probably not a coincidence that the two dealerships were the furthest out of town. I also called a broker but they couldn't come close to what I did on my own. The rest of the dealerships laughed when I asked for a discount saying that all dealerships had a waiting list for this vehicle, the vehicle was very popular locally recall or no recall, the Canadian market had a limited supply, and if I wanted a rebate to talk to them next year. Anyways, I went to the dealership that I was more comfortable with when I was talking with them over the phone. Negotiated hard and got another $110 off. So I got $610 from the dealership. Also in Canada most car manufacturers are offering a rebate for recent college grads who purchase a new vehicle with that manufacturer. Mazda Canada was offering $500 rebate on the 5 so luckily I with the help of my recent college grad sister were able to snag another $500 from Mazda Canada.
    So to make a long story short the dealer price was $26310 less $610 to make it $25700 then plus $120 for air con tax and tire levies plus the local 14% sales tax and then finally less the $500 bucks from Mazda Canada and no document fees. The dealership I bought the vehicle from said I was the first customer at that dealership to get any dealer rebate on the 5 and would be the last atleast in the near future. I was told that if I was lucky would get the 5 mid November but probably end of November but not to be surprised if it doesn't show up till mid December. Haven't heard from the dealer since the day I went in to purchase the vehicle.
    As a heads up I pretty much had the deal done over the phone before I went in to the dealer. They'll say they don't give any discounts over the phone but that's total BS, just tell them you need something from them to get you in the dealership, the whole idea is to get you into the dealership. They know you can't buy the vehicle unless they get you in so they'll do as much as they can to get you there. Which is the same thing they would do if you were there anyways to try to sell you the vehicle. There's no pressure over the phone and whatever deal they give you, you can immediately shop it around with another dealer. That's what I did. When I called I used the lines "I want to know how competitive you are and if you're ready to take business away from somebody else".
    Hope this helps somebody!

Can't wait to drive my Mazda5!
  • "Got CDN$1110 off. "
    Nice job. You used something I don't have any of, tho -- patience. I haven't bought a car that wasn't right there on the lot since 1989, and probably never will again.

I am very interested to see what effect (if any) the recall has on 5 prices. I felt like the prices were getting ready to up but then the recall hit. I STILL haven't seen any 5s on the road besides mine.

I paid MSRP, which would make me feel bad when I read results like yours, except that I traded in a 2000 Nissan Xterra and got substantially more (over $1000 more) than I had expected to get for it. And since then we've gone thru the whole $3 gasoline scene, so although I had enjoyed the Xterra I was very glad to be out from under any SUV, even a small one.

pagetuner
    http://pagetuner.com/mazda5/
  • kev604kev604 Posts: 30
    All the dealers locally here want MSRP if not more. Really had to haggle to get the $1110. I could count on one hand how many I saw before the recall. Haven't seen any since the recall. A guy down the street bought one in August thats how I found out about the 5.
    I was thinking that prices might go up for the 2007 models even with the recall. Because the recall happened now and not later in the year, by the next model year nobody will remember the recall anyways because only a relative small number of vehicles were affected. If sales slow down they'll probably offer manufacturer rebates but I don't think they will drop the MSRP!
  • jonv8jonv8 Posts: 5
    I was ready to buy right before the recall. Had I purchased then, I would have gotten the $500 Gerber rebate plus $500 cash for the recall.

Now I'm thinking twice about a car with a fire trap reputation that costs $1000 more than it did in Sept!!

The sad part is Gerber still mailed a flyer to our house long after the rebate expired.

I called Mazda and got no sympathy.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,150
    If you seriously think it has "a fire trap reputation," why in the world are you considering it and, furthermore, calling mazda concerning a rebate?

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• jonv8jonv8 Posts: 5
    I don't think it's a fire trap. I would even drive it without the fix. I love the Mazda5.

However, I think resale value is affected negatively. I personally know people considering the 5 who had doubts about first year reliability and then this recall confirmed their suspicions and they walked away. That is why I said "reputation". I'm just not happy about paying more for a vehicle that's now worth less.

Since I don't plan on selling, I really don't even care about resale. What bugs me is that Mazda wouldn't sell me a car and therefore let my Gerber rebate expire. So while the people who bought in early September are getting $500 back (plus the original $500 rebate), I'm paying $1000 more for the same vehicle.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,150
    ah, i see. well, that's a good point about them not selling you one when the rebate was in effect. When did it expire and when did you try to buy one?

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    However, I think resale value is affected negatively

Most people don't even know the Mazda5 exists....This recall will not hurt resale values. If anything it will help sales and resale. This recall will force Mazda to actually launch the vehicle with some advertising. This was not part of the plan before the recall. As we read on here, once people discover the MZ5 they seem to really love it!!. Also, very few car makers go to the lengths that Mazda did (warranty reset, $$check, new loners cars) to help address ruffled feathers of the customers. It shows that Mazda stepped up when it needed to and customers like that in a car company.
  • Interestingly, despite the recall the reviews have been very good for the mazda 5. Some reviewers even had their test car seized early as part of the recall yet they still gave it a favorable review. Perceptions of the cars safety will not be universal across the population but so far it looks like concerns about ongoing fire issues are low. And, as long as there are no more "surprises" the Mz5 will slowly become more popular and you will get less and less discouting. I agree that Mazda should have issued "rainchecks" to legitamate buyers who could not take advantage of timesensitive discount programs. This is customer care 101. I can't blame you for getting a sour feeling from it. But make sure that you don't take it out on yourself. Keep trying to get the discount you missed but in the end don't buy something else that you really won't enjoy as much. Then who will you be hurting?

Perhaps the best approach is the wait until 2007 model releases when some competitive models come out. Right now the MZ5 is the only game in town.
  • frgjbfrgjb Posts: 10
    I would be very surprised, even with the inclusion of some competition, if the price point on this vehicle went down.