Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dealer_gurudealer_guru Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    Just purchased a 2012 GT with weather mats, rear view mirror option. MSRP 25,045 Invoice was 23,475 if I remember correctly. Anyways, I paid 22,800 but it gets better that's with Remote Start included!!!! Then to ice it off I got them to give me more money for my car than what it was worth.

I used to be a car sales manager. I forgot what an advantage that is when buying a car. It's been a long time. Hope this helps others!!!
  • danielldaniell Posts: 128
    I am interested in a GT too. What do you mean by "rear view mirror option"?

Thanks.
  • mdashimdashi Posts: 6
    The "rear view mirror option" is a dealer installed auto-dimming rearview mirror with compass and Homelink controls. I think it is somewhere around 300 bucks. I passed on the option on our '12 GT.
  • greg_h1greg_h1 Posts: 1
    Mazda5 Touring with moonroof/audio package, all-weather floor mats, and window tinting for 20600. Generous trade-in and a fast, enjoyable transaction with no nonsense from reception to financial office.
  • squigglessquiggles Posts: 2
    Frustrated with the lack of discounting but think it might be due to the earthquake restricting supply. Dealers seemed to only have 1-2 of this model and trim in stock. Here's what I got (Libertyville via email and then follow up for the trade):

MSRP 19990
    Rebate -500
    Discount -208
    Before doc fee 19282 (zag.com quotes for this line were 19286, 19386, 19386. Other direct-to-dealer email quotes were 19292, 19513 and 19413 - none of these included the doc fee)
    Doc Fee 156
    After Doc Fee 19438
    Trade in (3,000) (Carmax offered 3000. Dealer initially offered 1200 and met Carmax offer when I told them about it)
    Title 145
    Tax 1396
    Out the door: 17979

That's how I discussed it with the salesman. For some reason the business manager wrote this up as:

Price of Car 19,940
    Doc Fee 156
    Trade in (3,200)
    Rebate (500)
    Title 145
    Tax 1,438
    Out the door 17,979

If I didn't have the Carmax trade reference prices and the zag.com quotes - which were the best I thought I could do elsewhere - I think I would have walked away. Really didn't feel like I could do better. I was also considering a 2010 from Carmax for 18598 with 20k miles. The difference seemed worth it for new. Also frustrated that I couldn't seem to save on the zag.com quotes even when I told the dealer I was trying to save us both the referral fee (I think they pay $300 for the referral).
  • squigglessquiggles Posts: 2
    I was complaining to my wife about the lack of discounting and she just pointed out that I had the MSRP wrong. It was 20990, not 19990. Maybe an unconscious negotiating strategy on my part.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,680
    Oxmoor Mazda seems to be offering "4000 off MSRP!" for a 2012 Mazda5. It's probably for the manual, but that's the better vehicle by far in my opinion anyway...Great deal for anyone in the area.
  • We bought it new in July for $17,700 sport AT...chased down the add car. There are 5 dealers in the portland OR metro area no tax, nice and smooth ride. been averaging about 28 mix city and hwy.
  • Very satisfied with the selection of cars avaiable, dealers were very knowledgable and they answered all the questions to picking out the right car for me
  • Discounts of $2500 to over $2900 listed right on the website for new 2012 Mazda 5's. Seems like a pretty good deal based on current incentives and what others have indicated they've paid.
  • Painless purchasing experience with Browning Mazda in Cerritos CA. First offer via email was $20,412 + ttl. My friend and I showed them a quote from zag and they beat it by $10 using the $300 LA auto show rebate.
  • vwmazdavwmazda Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    Scored one for $19960 before TTL. Dealer beat the truecar price by 400 after quite a bit of haggling. This is in Northern CA.
  • oyuwtapoyuwtap Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    would you share which dealership you went to (in nor-cal)?
    i am in the market for a touring as well.
  • One of our relatives visited us over Christmas, and his rental car was a new Mazda5. I was really impressed by the car, and I think it would be perfect for our 3 small kids. $40K for a new Odyssey is insane.

Of course the rental was an automatic, but what really appeals to us is the manual version. Has anyone bought/driven a new Mazda5 with the 6-speed manual? What did you think of it?
  • Could you please let me know at what dealership you got this price? I also live in Portland.
  • whobodymwhobodym Posts: 151
    I'm not exactly the guy you want an answer from, but I do own, since new, both a 2006 Mazda5 with 5MT and a 2010 Mazda3 2.5L with 6MT. So my 3 has exactly the same powertrain as a new 5 would with an MT. I like both cars very much, and the 2010 2.5L 6MT is a distinct improvement on the 2006 MZ5's, that I believe is due to more than just the 300 lb less weight the 3 is carrying. The newer car drives very well, a big improvement over the older 5. One thing I suspect would still be present in the brand-new 5 is that our 5 has a mushier-feeling shift linkage. But it's not that bad. I would definitely recommend (or buy myself, if I needed to) a manual 2012 MZ5.
  • Received a quote on a 2012 Mazda5 Sport manual of $17,701 before TTL, in the Portland, OR area.

Would like to hear of others recent quotes to determine if this is competitive, or not.
  • thanatos72thanatos72 Posts: 1
    edited April 2012
    MSRP: $24,823 ($24,025 + $795 doc fee)
    Invoice: $23,290 ($22,495 + 795)

Trade-In: $13,500 for a 2010 mazda5 with 30k ($1,500 more than what Edmunds said I should get) but I had $15,163 still on the loan, which the dealer paid-off, so I carried a negative equity of $1,663.

Paid: $26,445 out of the door, which includes $22,676 (car price, including doc. fee) + $2,874 (tax, tile, fees and negative equity) + $895 (gap insurance)

The car came with a few extras that the dealer agreed to take care of as part of the deal, namely:

1) Remote Start Engine ($320);
    2) DVD Entertainment system ($960)
    3) Auto-Dimming Mirror w/Compass and homelink ($295)

According to Edmunds, the TMV for this car with the above extras would have been $24,314 (plus tax, title, fee and gap insurance). So unless I missed something, I think (hope) that I got a good deal.

P.S.: By the way, the sticker indicates that the dealer also did “wheel opening protection mouldings, Autogard acid rain protection and custom interior protector with 5-year warranty” (a $890 value). It probable is something that they do to all cars to protect them in the lot.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    A reporter would like to speak to someone who owns a minivan or considered purchasing a minivan, but opted for a crossover or SUV. If you own a minivan or considered purchasing one, and you are willing to discuss your decision with a reporter, please email PR@edmunds.com no later than 10 a.m. Pacific /1 p.m. Eastern Thursday, April 12, 2012 with your daytime contact information.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• berchooberchoo Posts: 2
    Bought a new Mazda5 Touring for $20,000 plus MA sales tax $1,250, doc fee $195, Registration, $125. Total out the door: $21,570
    Tasca motors in Seekonk