Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A4 3.2 quattro vs. Infiniti G35x vs. Volvo S60R (AWD-geartronic)

agsastaragsastar Posts: 1
I am close to buying (no lease) one of these 3 but can't decide on which one! I have test driven them all, they all have different performance each with pros and cons. I plan on owning the car past the warranty life of 4 years so I am also concerned about reliability. Also, what kind of out the door price can I expect on these models? (plan to pay cash, live in SoCal) Any input would be appreciated. :)

Comments

• frisconickfrisconick Posts: 1,275
    Japanese cars, in general, are the most reliable, the Volvo is boring imho. The Audi is very nice, but I would go with the G. :)
  • klpeelklpeel Posts: 46
    It may not be an issue with you, but I just bought the G35x, and my decision process was much the same as I wanted an AWD. The cost of getting comparable to the G35x in the Audi and Volvo S60R was something I just couldn't justify. If I remember right, both require getting up (possibly well up) into the 40s, where you can hit the G35x in the mid to upper 30s.
  • mnrep2mnrep2 Posts: 200
    I also chose the G35x. A friend has the A4, I came from a 2000 Passat. Wanted to get away from the fwd bias of those two cars. The G has a much larger interior than the Audi as well. I am truly impressed so far with the G. Fast and quiet with great handling. AWD and stability control are awesome as well. I test drove the car this past winter and found the AWD to be very unobtrusive and confidence inspiring. Great ability to start and turn on slippery surfaces.

I also believe that you will have much better long term ownership bliss with the infiniti vs. the other two. My Passat needed a $1,200.00 timing belt change shortly!! You don't have to worry about that particular issue with the G.

Finally, bought the car with every option except chrome wheels for $36,500.00 + TTL.
  • frisconickfrisconick Posts: 1,275
    Enjoy your new ride! I think you made an excellent choice. :shades:
  • klpeelklpeel Posts: 46
    mnrep2,

That is exactly the same transition I made (from the 2000 Passat). I am very happy with the move. The G35x is quick, powerful, smooth and agile. I find that I miss only one thing from the Passat GLX, and that is the auto locking doors at 10 MPH, which is minor enough given the huge improvements in almost every other way. The only thing that really bugs me about the G35x is the lumpy seat bottom on the right side of the drivers seat (to accomodate the brain-dead location of the seat controls). Driving with my wallet in my left back pocket is bad enough (on long drives I always take it out). It makes me feel like I'm sitting on a second wallet on the right side ... only wish I could take it out as well!
  • I've read that the 2006 S60R comes with a 6-speed auto, and a change to the AWD system for shifting more power to the rear wheels on launch. I'm looking at the S60R ... wife requires the Auto-trans, refuses to deal with the stick (hey, at least I won the 'R' debate, even if I have to compromise on the tranny :-) ). Anyone know if the new 6-speed has the same torque specs as the 2005 5-speed auto, i.e., did Volvo make it robust enough to dial the torque back up to the manual-trans spec? Or is it still pretty much the same spec as the 5-speed?

Also, anyone know much about the 2006 changes in the AWD system?

I'm close to purchasing a 2005 for a couple-K under invoice with model year end incentives ... just wondering if waiting for the 2006 is worth the extra cost (probably $3-$4K). I don't intend to take it to the track ... and the wife certainly isn't ... so I'm not too concerned about shaving off a few tenths from the standing quarter mile. Just like a it to be 'quick' and agile for my day-to-day driving.
  • poeti18poeti18 Posts: 10
    Although I can't answer your specific questions ( changes for 2006), I can assure you, that the "old" automatic ( I have the 04 S60R automatic) is plenty agile and fun for day-to-day driving. I too compromised on the tranny secondary to wife/stick issues. However, I have no regrets.
  • Well, we went ahead with the 2005 R two days ago ... figuring that I'd already cashed in all my 'brownies' with the wife talking her into the R instead of the 2.5T or T5, there just wasn't enough to justify the extra cost, and wait, for the 2006 R. I got a 2005 R loaded with everything except the sports skirts package for $2K under invoice. The 2006 would have meant probably $2k over invoice and a wait ... so at a minimum a $4K spread to improve the 0-60 time. That just doesn't compute with the wife ... put together female DNA and a CPA and I've got a 'no contest' situation versus my testosterone. If I'd actually made the play for justifying $4K to shave off a second from 0-60 ... I'd probably just get the blank stare.

Am I right in my understanding that after you get up into 3rd gear in the GT, that the torque limit between the 2005 & 2006 would be similar, i.e., the changes in the 2006 mostly address off-the-line acceleration ... but 40-100+ the two cars would be pretty similar in acceleration? The AWD changes in 06 sound like they are limited to torque pre-charging for off-the-line, but once you're rolling the AWD behavior should be very similar, i.e., the 06 change isn't a permanent bias to send more power to the rear wheels, just a bias for the initial launch. Is this a correct assessment?

Maybe I can talk my way into an Evolve powerchip upgrade down the road ... still wouldn't be as quick as the 2006, but close. Anyone have some quantitative info on whether the 5-speed GT auto can handle the occasional 288 ft/lbs ... for average city/hwy driving, not talking about taking it out onto the track every weekend. If I were a weekend rally type of guy, I'd have waited for the 06.
  • mike048mike048 Posts: 10
    2005 G35x - Graphite/Graphite Premium Pkg C, with splash guards and floor mats - full size spare. No Nav. $32,600 I bought the extended warranty for an extra $1,000 bumping it up to 7years/100,000. Miller Infiniti in Sherman Oaks.
  • nodecafnodecaf Posts: 2
    While my R is manual tranny (wife refuses to drive auto), the powerchip replacement is a wonderful thing. My '04 came with a wrong chip originally that limited it to 13x top speed, so the chip was replaced as a recall. Not that I'd notice moving at city speed normally, but it did help with both low end and high-end acceleration if and when I'm able to get on the expressway (oxymoron if I ever heard one). Not exactly apples to apples comparison, but hope that helps.
  • Does anyone know is there any big difference in speed with the automatic for 2005 and the new six speed for 2006?
    Any other rmajor differences between 2005 and 2006 - like the AWD system?
    Reason is that I can get an 05 leftover at a real good deal - but I don't want to make the worng decision over a few K.
    Thanks.
  • The 04 to 05 did not change much of anything.. the most changes was in the outside of the car, and the 6 presets in the radio (instead of the dial presets for 20).
    If you are trying to get the most value and I sugeest you look at the 04 S60R. There are not many for sell, but if you search you can find them. A good deal for a low 30s... in a car that will last almost for ever.
  • hey my dad recently bought the 2005 volvo s60r. its a 5speed auto. i have seen and have ridden in the new 06 model. i have been into cars my whole life and what what i think is that the 05 and the 06 models differ is i think the 06 runs the same horse power but with but with a little more low end torque off the line. my dad raced a new 05 infiniti g35x turbo'd and exhaust and smoked him w/o his foot to the floor. the handling is fe nominal it sticks to the road like no other. serious. i dont think it matter much about the new 06 its just preference of knowing you have the newest model.
  • I drove the S60r and found it to be a nice car. In comparison to the A4 I find it apples to oranges. I find it hard to compare any non-German car to a German make. The Volvo is fast to be sure and has a nice interior. The steering and gear box feel is relagated to second.. no third class citizen status IMO. These are very important benchmarks for me, thus negating any advantage in speed the Vovo had over the Audi. I have an S4 on order so I guess my wallet has spoken.
  • There is absolutely no way that a s60r (300hp) smoked a turbo'd g35x w/o flooring it. There is no way that a s60r smoked a non-turbo'd g35x (280hp) w/o flooring it. A s60r is a little faster than a non-turbo'd g35x, but not by enough that it could "smoke" a g35x w/o flooring it.

If your dad smoked a g35x w/o flooring it then the g35x wasn't racing and/or it wasn't turbo'd.

S60r is a very nice (and fast) car, but there is no way that it would smoke a turbo'd g35x when a non-turbo'd g35x has virtually the same power as the s60r. No way.
  • If you are concerned with reliability and durability,after the warranty, do not buy a German AWD car. I own a 1999 A4 Quattro and it is has not been reliable or durable. In less than 60K miles I'v had to replace both left and right front control arms (Audi recall), and at my expense both rear wheel bearings. In 50 years of car ownership, I have never replaced a wheel bearing, let alone 2 on the same car. I would stick with a Japanese car, the G35x or the new Lexus IS-250 AWD.
  • My experiences are about 180 degrees of yours.

I am, however, not suggesting that the Japanese cars are unreliable -- only that our 28 Audis and 2 BMWs (both AWD) have been reliable.

Expensive to repair out of warranty? Breathtakingly.

But, I think this probably describes any car these days.

On the other hand there are ceratinly lots of folks who swear by their "fill in the blank" car's reliability.

We all want more reliable cars, he said in his best Homer Simpson style.

But we also want cars that are rewarding to drive. Test them all, over the same test drive loop. Then test them again.

Drive it like you live. :shades:
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Posts: 1,747
    How much more expensive is "breathtakingly"? Double? Is this all parts related (as another poster suggested)?

Perhaps Audi is the ultimate lease car? Drive it 4 years/50K miles and close out/return it once the warranty is gone?
  • esfesf Posts: 1,020
    We've had the complete opposite experience- I've owned three Audis for more than a year each (one was used), and none had problems (except for a minor oil leak).

'98 A4 1.8T (we got it four years old for my son's first car)

'00 A6 2.7T quattro (our first Audi)

'05 S4 Cabriolet (replacing the A6)

'06 A3 2.0T FronTrak (this is not AWD, but I've only had it for two months anyway [replaces the A4; my spare car])

No problems worth noting... the first week I got my S4, the air con wasn't up to snuff, and Audi not only replaced the system but offered to throw in a free set of 17s for the winter.
  • zheka212zheka212 Posts: 57
    I second that (and not only because I drive '05 G35x -- previous models had 260 HP, but the '05 and later do have 280). I have test driven the Acura TL (270 HP), Accord (240), Audi 2.0T (the 6 cyl is out of my price range), Jetta and the Volvo (T5 not the R, so I'm sorry if I am making assumptions here).

In my experience no other Japaneese, and very few European makers can compare with the pickup of Nissan's VQ engine. The turbo always has somewhat of a lag (we are talking single factory units here), and the other Japaneese and some European makers are too concerned with saving gas -- which is why a 270 HP Acura does not come close to the pickup of my G35. Nissan engines burn gas like there's a hole in every cylinder (I get about 12 MPG with "spirited" city driving), but I am yet to find a car outside the Mercedes S500 league (and this includes the new Mustang GT) that I had trouble keeping up with off the light. I never tried to race an S60R, nor would I say it is not an impressive car, but I still have trouble picturing the Volvo "smoking" and Infiniti without climbing past 60 mph.