Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda5

sschribersschriber Posts: 89
There appears to be several specific discussions for the new Mazda 5, but no general discussion. Personally I was wowed when I first saw the the Mazda 5 3 weeks ago. This was the car I was looking for to replace my 95 Odyssey (Honda lost me when they grew to a full size mini van.) Unfortunately, I purchased a new Forenza wagon at the end of May. But who knows?....

Comments

• I have planned to buy a new car and trade my Matrix since April this year. I needed one that's a little bit bigger. I was torn between the Mazda Tribute and the Honda CRV. I drove test both of them. I was impressed by both. Each has strong points so I could not decide which one to buy. Then, I read about this Mazda5. It got my attention. In its pictures it looked like my Matrix and I loved that looks. It also has everything that I was looking for. I especially like the sliding doors, easy in and out. So I decided to wait. I checked this forum everyday. People are excited about this car. Two weeks ago, I finally had the chance to test drive it. I got hooked. A week ago, I bought one and could not sleep the first night I had it. I'm still excited and there's that indescribable feeling whenever I'm in front of that wheel. I'm really happy that I waited.
  • bjerrybjerry Posts: 59
    I just can't believe how pleased I am with my Mazda5. It's been years since I've been happy to own the car I own.
  • pointatobpointatob Posts: 30
    I just drove by a mazda dealer yesterday and sat in a mazda 5. i had been reading a lot of the posts about it so i was excited to see it.

overall, i was pretty impressed. i liked the look of the vehicle and the overall size. a couple of impressions and questions that i had for owners / people who do more research than myself:

1. i forgot to look - do the windows next to the second row seats roll down?

2. i was disappointed that i could not get the steering wheel in a fully vertical position; i like to tilt the wheel so that the top of the wheel is as close to me as the bottom. no big deal or anything, but it adds to the driving experience because you can pretend you're in a go cart...

3. in response to some other posts about being able to get a fifth or sixth passenger into the backseat if carseats were present in the 2nd row: yeah, it would be a little difficult, but you can still use the fore / aft slide bar on the front of the 2nd row seat to slide it forward (since the side lever requires that you tilt the seat before sliding). this works okay for getting in, but once someone is back there, they can't reach that slide bar on the front of the 2nd row seat, so they either squeeze in between the 2nd row seats or wait for help! this probably isn't too big a deal either because as many others have stated this vehicle is not for someone wanting to fit 6 people in it on a regular basis.

4. i was disappointed with the cargo space when using the 3rd row. i don't think that we could even fit our evenflo stroller back there if we were going to dinner with the grandparents! however, i haven't tried this yet so maybe it's possible. i don't know what the spec for the luggage volume is, but it certainly looks much smaller than i expected. i saw an old 95-98 odyssey today and in looking at the luggage space behind the 3rd row, the tailgate glass was still fairly close to the seatback, but there was a lowered well at the floor which increased the usability greatly (i would suspect). i don't know what the luggage volume spec for the old odyssey is, however. anybody know these figures?

overall, i'm really excited to test drive a manual (they only had automatics there so i didn't bother to test), but as many others on this post seem to want a manual also, my guess is that they will be difficult to find for a while anyway.

any thoughts on these impressions?
  • smariasmaria Posts: 279
    1. i forgot to look - do the windows next to the second row seats roll down?

Yup, they roll down all the way.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    Can any of you new owners take some photos with adults inside the 5 to give perspective.
  • What's the story on roof racks for the Mazda 5? On inspection there appears to be four covered slots in the roof line much like my old Rav 4. My local dealer doesn't have any literature available yet and couldn't answer the roof rack question.

On a side note, am I alone in feeling that as a car salesperson, you should know your vehicles inside and out? Countless times I've spoken with sales folk who knew markedly less about their products than I, the customer, did.
  • momstoymomstoy Posts: 30
    "What's the story on roof racks for the Mazda 5? On inspection there appears to be four covered slots in the roof line"

In the manual it shows that the 4 covers simply remove and the roof rack fits into the slots there. The dealer told me they should have the roof racks, rear bumper cover, cargo net, etc. available sometime in August - I was considering going aftermarket for a roof rack - but if they'll have ones that just slip into the slots already in the roof I'd rather go with that.
  • ccweemsccweems Posts: 33
    Despite the fact that they have the time, the vehicles and the information most salesmen would rather read the paper, talk to their girl friend and smoke cigarettes. I know this unfairly depicts a very few but it is a fair appraisal of my experience over the last 30 years. Remember, turnover amongst car salesmen is over 100% per year and the salesman before you was likely selling time shares, Herbalife or cell phones the month previous. If you ever go to a dealership and depend on any information apart from inventory status you are doomed.
  • sampsamp Posts: 7
    Hi there,

Can anyone who has bought a Mazda5 tell me if it has any towing capacity at all, as per the manual? None of the web sites, including Mazda's, say anything at all about towing. But I had a Mazda salesman tell me it can tow 2,000 pounds, which I find hard to believe (I'd think maybe 1000-1500 if anything at all). I am hoping I could tow just a small utility trailer with it.

Also, where is the spare tire on this thing? I didn't think to look while at the dealer.

Thanks,
    Sam
  • robyneilrobyneil Posts: 26
    As far as I know, you can't tow anything with the Mazda 5. You won't find a hitch below the rear bumper. Everyone, just please correct me if I'm wrong. There's a trailer hitch adapter that can be inserted on the front bumper though for towing the 5. This is the reason I'm searching for mazda/aftermarket roof racks for the 5 for versatility and extra space.

The spare is below the cargo area behind the third row seat, below the hidden cargo area compartment with tools inside (raise the lid). If they didn't put the spare there, I guess there'd have been more cargo space behind the third row seat just like with other vans and SUVs.

P.S. I subscribed for an email Thule notification for MZ5 roof racks and they said they are still working on the fittings for the MZ5. 'Let you know if they finally have fittings available.
    Thanks for the info. Does the manual say anything about towing in the specifications? Or does it void the warranty?

Thanks again,
    Sam
  • robyneilrobyneil Posts: 26
    Thanks for the info. Does the manual say anything about towing in the specifications? Or does it void the warranty?

Sam - 'Went through the manual again and there's nothing about towing specification. Here're the only things I can find for you:

page 10-4
    Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: 4572 lbs (actual curb weight is 3333)
    Front Gross Axle Weight Rating: 2218 lbs
    Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating: 2325 lbs

page 4-12
    Never tow a trailer with your Mazda

I did see detachable tow bar, Tow bar detachable, includes
    single wiring harness (12n), for the Mazda 3 at:

http://www.mazda.co.uk/buy/accessories/Accessories_Lifestyle.pdf

There are also 2 tiedown hooks behind the rear bumper, but it is for securing the Mazda 5. Another source says around 3000 lbs towing capacity for the Mazda 5, but I don't think its accurate because my subaru legacy sus (with 2.5L, 165 hp, trailer hitch) can only tow much less than that...2000 lbs:

http://www.drivewire.com/newcars/mazdamazda5specs.html

Thanks,

Robert
    Thanks for taking the time to look this up, Rob. Sounds like it probably will void the warranty, or could be interpreted that way.

I guess my only question now is what kind of crash test results it will get (particularly with side impacts), and I'll just have to wait for those. :)

Sam
  • carazycarazy Posts: 6
    I am kind of excited about this vehicle for my family but my only concern is that it may be a little smaller than I expected. Edmunds reports 44cu.ft. with the second and third row seats folded. Mostly we will just use it for 2 adults and 2 kids and occasionally a dog in the back. I would love to be able to fit a dog crate measuring 39 inches, front to back. I wonder if anyone owning this car can save me a trip to the dealer with the tape measure and see if this would fit between the second row and rear hatch (3rd row folded of course)?
    Thank you,
    Scot
  • momstoymomstoy Posts: 30
    With the 3rd row folded down - I get a width (at the narrowest part where the armrests are) of 40.5" and a depth of 38" (from the top edge of the folded 3rd row seat to the plastic edge trim at the rear hatch. I can move the middle row up a few inches and still have more than enough leg room for the kids - expanding the depth to 41 - 42". I forgot to measure the height of the cargo area.
  • smariasmaria Posts: 279
    Edmunds reports 44cu.ft. with the second and third row seats folded.

The 44.4 cubic feet of cargo volume is with only the 3rd row folded down. There's much more than that if you also fold down the 2nd row.
    Perfect! Thanks so much. Sounds like I would be able to make it work (something I can't do with the Jeep we have now).
    Does this account for the angle of the second row? You really need to measure from the back of the 2nd row at the top to the back of the closed hatch to see what you can really fit.

You should really take it with you and check it out, since just by measuring you won't take into account the angles of the sides, the back hatch, and the back of the 2nd row seats. Plus you may find if it does fit, you won't have space for anything else back there.
    44.4 cubic feet with just the 3rd row down makes much more sense. Thanks.
    Plus if you're not going to need the 3rd row for sitting, you could fit that better into the back of a Ford Focus wagon...but then you'll only have the capability to seat 5 instead of 6.