Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda5

Comments

• bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    Could you tow the boat with a mazda3, since that is what the 5 is based on? It's hard for me to picture a Mazda3 or 5 towing a 14' boat down the highway!
  • dcdingodcdingo Posts: 21
    Check out this UK site. They have a hitch for a Mazda2! (and a Mazda3) They also say elsewhere on the site that they are working on a Mazda5 towbar:
    witter

See also: Reese for a Mazda 3 hitch sold in the U.S. supposedly rated 2000 lbs GTW. I'm talking 500 lbs max for my purpose.

There may be a good reason why the Mazda5 can't do it but I'm not getting any answers.
  • dcdingodcdingo Posts: 21
    Thanks for contacting Mazda.

>From my information, the U.S. model MAZDA5 is not designed to tow
    anything behind it. Unfortunately, the details as to why the MAZDA5 is
    not recommended for trailer towing are not available, only that Mazda
    does not recommend it.

Again, thank you for contacting Mazda and have a good day.

:cry:
  • I hope this works better than last time. I just uploaded 55 pics of my Mazda5 to imagestation. The people in the picture are my cousins and range in height from just under 5 foot to 5' 11" so you can see the scale. I included a bunch of shots of the interior with the seats in different configurations/positions too.
    http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2122839645
  • sonodadsonodad Posts: 4
    Just a quick question I haven't seen answered - what is the emission rating of the Mazda 5? LEV, ULEV, SULEV? Mostly I'm just curious.
  • davondavon Posts: 2
    On the sales brochures here in England the towing capacity is clearly stated as up to 600 kgs with an unbraked trailer and up to 1400 kgs with a braked trailer.
    I am ordering my new 2.0 Sport Diesel this weekend.
    DJ England.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,877

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    WHAT?! You get a 2.0 liter diesel in England?

ARE you sure England doesn't want to become part of the US? j/k.

I am envious. Who makes the engine?

John
    I haven't heard of this before. It would be odd since so many cars are made in Japan. My Forester is ice cold, our MPV is also fine.

Sounds like some kind of psychological technique to try and resolve concerns of a mini van type interior with AC registers only in the front.

My guess is we see AC registers in the back, if not rear AC in the next gen 5.

John
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    The cargo size for the '95 - '98 Honda Odyessy is 45.9 cu.ft. with the rear seats folded.

For tires, look at Kumho ECSTA 711 205/50/HR17 or 712 205/50VR17 at Discount Tire Co. I know Mazda5 uses VR tires, but HR are also available and listed as acceptable by Mazda. HR's are rated at 130mph max. The Mazda5 will never reach that speed. They are very quiet, ride smoothly and have high wear factors.

For aftermarket leather, which is softer than factory leather, check http://www.classicsofttrim.com for a dealer near you. Buy the covers on your own, much cheaper than through the dealer who has to farm out to the same supplier.

fowler3
  • My Mazda 5 was sitting in a driveway next to a Dodge Caravan, so I evened up the back bumpers and took a photo that shows how the silhouettes of the two vans compare.

pagetuner
    http://pagetuner.com/mazda5/
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,877
    Hope everyone has had a great summer! Stop in at the chat tonight and share some of your summer road trips... or just drop in to meet and greet with your fellow enthusiasts. Either way, we'll have a bit of fun and escape from the real world for an hour! :)

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles

The Mazda Mania Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Any word about Roof rails for the 5? Shopping for a 6 wagon this spring I was told it was a factory mount only option for the 6 wagons. Will the roof rack for the 5 be compatible for a dealer or owner installed option?
  • davondavon Posts: 2
    Yes we are getting the 2 litre 143 bhp turbo diesel in December. Have ordered Phantom blue, with a towbar (!!). Engine made by Mazda as far as I know, MIGHT be an offshoot of a Ford unit, but appears to be too smooth and quiet for this !
    Davon UK.
    I asked the question of our local Mazda dealer, and he had no clue that there was a 5 made elsewhere with a diesel engine.

He offered to call me when he heard something.

I am impressed with the 5. There was only one on the lot. Directly across from where it was parked were at least 20 MPVs, all of which were discounted to the same or cheaper than the 2002 MPV I bought 3 years ago. The same salesman said he heard Mazda had no intention of abandoning the MPV and that it was a "bestseller".

John
    I read in the brochure that this was standard, but didn't know to check this out when I was at the dealer.

Any comments?

John
  • smariasmaria Posts: 279
    Yup, the steering wheel telescopes in my Mazda5 Sport...I was able to find a comfortable position without any trouble.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    I asked the question of our local Mazda dealer, and he had no clue that there was a 5 made elsewhere with a diesel engine.

No surprise here ... I've been a customer at my local dealership for 14 years, and it was I who showed my sales manager the first photos of the Protege5, Mazda3 and Mazda5. He had no idea they were coming and didn't get confirmation until at least six months later in each instance.

Meade
  • jc9799jc9799 Posts: 70
    ...Mazda had no intention of abandoning the MPV and that it was a "bestseller".

:surprise:
    the MPV is a great van and well planned. The '03-04 tranny issues, CR yanking it from the "recommended" category, average mpg, and America's passion for bigger and more HP have reduced sales. Meanwhile Honda and Toyota came out with 8 seaters and more mpg.

Good news is that the 5 doesn't yet have much competition. And, I believe the timing is just right.

John
  • We will have three children under the age of 2 and are interested in purchasing the Mazda 5. We will need a triple stroller and other items for babies to store in the car. We are feeling that the space may not suffice. Any suggestions? Thank you. :)
  • mazda6smazda6s Posts: 1,901
    "We will have three children under the age of 2 ..."

Oh no! :surprise:
  • Not a very good choice IMHO. Three rows of two seats and little space behind the third row would mean the stroller goes on the roof if it doesn't fit with one third row seat folded, and I doubt it would.
  • 5thave5thave Posts: 13
    We have 2yr-old twins. Seems just right for us. But we did consider that 3 kids and a stroller would have been a very tight fit (3rd kid not yet ruled out for us!). One thing I can say for sure is this: On our test drive I put 1 child in 2nd row and 1 child in 3rd row, all on passenger side with my wife in the passenger seat. My wife and I are average to tall ( 5'7" and 6'1"). With front seat adjusted to give us plenty of legroom, and 2nd row seat set 1/2 way back in its travel, and both kids sitting in their safety seats, both kids (who are quite tall for 2 yrs old) complained that their feet were uncomfortably positioned against the rows in front. Since you'd always have someone in the back row you'd be giving up storage behind and room in front. Carefully consider a larger van. If price is an issue, maybe a 1 or 2-yr old van coming off lease is a good option? In a couple years your kids will be much bigger. How will your space be then?

Good luck.

We've ordered a '5 and can't wait. Had we had 3 kids, our choice might have been different.
  • smariasmaria Posts: 279
    If the biggest thing you'll carry is the stroller, and it fits in with one of the 3rd row seats folded down, the MAzda5 might be fine for you. But it'll definitely be tight for 3 car seats + stroller...you should at least consider something bigger.

My experience (with no children yet) is that I drive around 10% of the time with both 3rd row seats up, 80% of the time with one of the 3rd row seats folded down, and 10% of the time with both of the 3rd row seats folded down.
  • Didn't a previous post mention that 05 MPVs are being discounted down to close to the price of a Mazda 5? The only minivan listed as compact in the US, it would be the next size up for you.
  • :) Yes, but the 3rd row is a bench and not a 60/40 split. Thank you for your imput.
  • I participated in Mazda's performance and precision test-drive event at Pomona last Sunday. Aside from being a fun, free way to try out the RX-8, new MX-5, 3, 6, and 5, you get some driving instruction and at least a free t-shirt out of it. There are three timed events that require matching or beating the goal time posted, and a fourth event that gives driving instruction. Another thing you get is a $500 rebate offer from Mazda on any new '05 or '06 vehicle. The offer is transferable.

This event is moving around the country for the next few months and you can sign up at www.zoomzoomlive.com. It's a flash site so be patient. And my suggestion for those interested would be to sign up as early in the day as possible to avoid the long lines. It took us nearly 6 hours to complete the 4 events once each. You And popcorn and pretzels are the only food although water is plentiful. Sticks and automatics are available in the RX-8s and MX-5s and all of the Mazda product line is on display as well.

The first event I would suggest trying is the School of Zoom which gives you a quick chalkboard lesson and then ride-along coaching in an RX-8. Next is a timed event that teaches smooth driving by using golf balls in a large bowl affixed to the hood of an MX-5. You also have a chance to drive a 3, 6, or 5 in another timed event that requires you to match the posted time EXACTLY. And finally, there is the all-out speed blitz in the new MX-5. Workers are there giving demonstrations and tips for each event. A lot of fun but bring some extra patience.
  • dapontdapont Posts: 21
    Check the lower right of this site for a couple of upbeat Mazda5 commercials for the British market. The one on the left is pretty long but shows the middle seat fold-up feature and the self-closing doors:
    http://4a.mazda.com/product/mazda5/
  • perfectofcperfectofc Posts: 155
    Actually those are the same commercials used in Japan, rebadged as "Mazda 5". :) Funny!