Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda5

Comments

• What problem? What are you guys talking about? :P

• Lucky smarta$$!! Just because you have "double the fun" doesn't mean you have to rub it in!

LOL!
  • :)

I bought the 06 for wife and I liked it so much that when it was time to trade-in my old ride, another Mazda5 got in the way. Deals are great now, but I also got a good one for the 08 back in 07, especially because it also came with Manual Tranny, which are even more rare to find...
  • speddyspeddy Posts: 16
    Nice! You even have the roof rack. That's going to be our next purchase.
  • ...I want a roof rack so bad, but I cant see paying so much ($250-300) for one, and I can't find one on eBay used either....errrrrrrr!!!!! >:(
  • So the wife and I are considering a new car (maybe two new cars) to replace our high mileage cars (1995 Civic and 2000 Maxima)

I've a lot of reviews and many of these Mazda 5 forums - still have a few questions

1. This would be our first Mazda - worried a little about reliability. We would be expecting this vehicle to last 8-10 years with normal useage. What are Mazda owners opinions on reliability and build quality.

2. I kind of want a manual transmission - tell me your thoughts on whichever you have. Is the manual easy to drive - what about this manumatic or whatever Mazda calls this auto you can shift.

3. According to my logic - the manual transmission car should be sportier - that begins with fog lights for me and maybe the spoiler. Since Mazda won't give it to me - has anyone attempted these mods?

4. What other autos did you look at before picking the 5? Was the 5 an easy choice.

Hoping to test drive one later this week - but having a hard time finding a manual in DFW area
  • 5_more5_more Posts: 43
    Regarding reliability, I bought another Mazda...

My last Mazda was an '87 323 Wagon. I sold it for $650 in 2002 with almost 240k miles on it and the original clutch -- which still did not slip.

The car spent all of it's life in the salt belt. Rust starting showing at roughly year 14.
  • 1. That was my main concern when first buying my 06 MZ5 since I have been Honda avid. Bought mine used and now after 10,000 miles after still running smooth and strong. So it seems reliability is up to normal standards for Japanese vehicles. As far as build quality, perhaps Honda is a notch better then Mazda but about the same if not better then Nissan (at least in our models), but I see you are replacing a 95 Civic and a 00 Maxima. The MZ5 will definately be an upgrade, specially if you buy a new 09 model.

2. I went with the Automatic trans with the manual mode, solely because it was a used MZ5 that someone traded in at the dealership I work for and I could not pass the great deal I got on it ($12400 out the door including GAP). If it would have been a new model however, I would have opted for the manual trans, but this works because the wifee can now drive my vehicle as well (she never did before because all my vehicles have been manual trans.). The auto shifts like a normal auto but has this weird hesitation when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, this seems to be a normal operation on all 06'-07' model year 4-speed autos found on the MZ5s, I cannot speak for the new 5-speed auto found on later models. The manual mode seems to give the vehicle a more responsive and pep feeling but it certainly does not compare to a normal manual trans. I tend to use manual mode solely when I want to have control of what gear I want the trans to stay in sort of like going up a steep hill or in bumper to bumper traffic.

3. On 09' models I believe you can only get manual trans with the Sport model which to Mazda is the base model, so if you are going to go for the manual trans you will be able to add both foglights and the rear spoiler as an accessory. I do not know how hard it is to install since mine is a Touring and came with both already. If you opt for the Touring or Grand Touring however, you will get both of these already in the vehicle but you will have to go with the Auto trans.

4. The other models I looked at was the MZ3 wagon, Toyota Matrix, MZ6 Hatch, Honda Fit. All not enought room or sort of not appealing completely.

Hope my opinion helps you!
  • Wanting to get impressions on Auto vs. Manual transmission for the Mazda5.

I really thought I wanted the manual, but it is really hard to find that version and it lacks a few things I think should be standard I could get with the Touring version over the Sport.

I'm hoping to test drive this weekend - will probably end up being a auto since based on the Mazda website the nearest manual is like 160 miles.

So if you auto owners could let me know how you think the auto accelerates, how the transmission responds when power is needed - I don't need a drag racer, but with a manual I would likely run the RPMs a little higher than the car manufacturer will design for the auto
  • I just took my 5 to the mechanic today and they're telling me it might be the AC compressor. I don't know for sure, they will let me know tomorrow morning but for what I read here, it seems that the 5 has a history of problems wit this part. I will keep you posted with any updates. Also, if anybody knows a good mechanic that can replace the compressor without costing me an arm and a leg please post it here. Thanks.
  • Rookie question here, although I've had my MZ5 for 6 months now. Does anyone know if my 2006 MZ5 Touring auto came with factory alarm? I can't seem to set it off. If not, is it an added accessory? If anyone knows for sure please chime in. Thanks!
  • I do believe only the Grand Tourings come with anti-theft/alarm (2008+ for sure, don't recall for the 2007 model). The rest only have the typical immobilizer thingie...
  • Just picked up a new 2009 Monday and love it. My wife has had a 2006 model we bought used a bit over a year ago. Got a better deal on a new one this time. The improvements made over th 2006 are fabulous such as auto climate control, rear air-conditioning vent. The new 5 speed automatic works smoother than the older 4 speed. All in all the perfect car for us, in town or on the road. Now I just need to add a roof rack for my bicycle.
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Posts: 525
    You own 2 Mazda5s and want one with racks? That is freaky :P

What color are they?

• dona83dona83 Posts: 67
    Import a fully loaded Mazda 5 GT with Luxury (leather) and NAVI package and 5 speed manual transmission from Canada. :)
  • katbugkatbug Posts: 2
    I know it's been a year since you posted the note, so I'm wondering if you ever were able to get the daytime running lights hooked up in your M5 GT?

I have a new 2009 here in the states, and I'm trying to find out how to get them hooked up here for safety reasons. So I'd like to ask again ... does anybody know how to do this?

I think if I just drove over the border to a dealer in Canada, he could probably hook them up for me ... but it's a bit of a drive so I'd rather do it here.

Thanks
  • So I took the plunge and trade it in my little Mazda5 for a 2007 Mazda CX-9...WOW!! what a difference. We needed more room and more cargo capacity and this thing is nicely loaded with leather, bluetooth, tri-climate control, etc...

Thank you for all your suggestions and information you can find me at the CX-9 forum.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    The next generation Mazda 5 will be pretty close to the upcoming Ford C-Max Grand (google it), which has the sliding doors and includes the 2nd row center folding seat currently available on the non-US versions of the Mazda 5. I'll wait for it and keep my current car another couple of years. MPG should be a lot better too.
  • vicenacvicenac Posts: 229
    Oh....
    I've seen this one some time ago. Before the picture showed up in the browser I felt really bad that I had to buy a car now. I've been thinking of leasing again and wait for the new one.
    And the pictures loads! Oh ja! I'm buying the 2010 MZ5 all right!
    The front looks nice, but the rear part of the vehicle is another story. I think the horizontal lamps are a mistake and also there is a lot of sheet metal over the rear wheel. Just ugly (French), to me.
    Now, that's not to say that the Mazda will look as horrid.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    I'm not so much interested in the exterior style of the C-Max Grand but of the extra seat in the second row, better engine and MPG.
  • Yeah, it looks really nice in pics for the European spec (and sliding doors!), I hope they don't get rid of many goodies to make it price attractive in the US and I hope they bring the manual transmission (I really doubt it though)

How long it took to Ford to realize that the Mini MPV is good? 5 years? :D

• riproyriproy Posts: 57
    Hello,
    We have to replace the windshield on our 5, The OEM replacement would be 600$ CDN installed, the high price owing to the rain sensor. The non-rain sensing equivalent would be about half that cost. My question is, if we opt to go the non rain sensing route, would we lose the intermittent wipers setting?
  • Hello, considering purchase of a new Mazda5. Would love to get a stick shift. Can anyone tell me, who owns such a beast, what your indicated RPM is in 5th gear at a steady 60mph cruise, and at 70mph? Can't find one to test drive in a manual. Thanks!
  • pi_manpi_man Posts: 9
    The gearing is somewhat high, although it feels smooth to me (sometimes I forget to shift up to 5th) on the highway and then notice it when I look at the RPMs). I only saw your question now, so I can give an inexact answer. When I drive around 65, the RPMs are in the low 3000's (3100 - 3200). Doing the math would get you a bit under 3000 for 60 MPH and a bit under 3500 for 70 MPH. I sure wish it had a 6-speed manual so highway driving could be down around 2500 RPM. My 2000 MPV automatic did around 2700-2800 at 65 MPH and my 2005 MPV with the 3.0 engine was around 2200-2300 at the same speed. Did C4C with the 2000 MPV to get the M5 Sport Manual.
  • Better late than never! The 2010 Mazda 5 finally has available stability control. I was always surprised that was missing in this class of car.
  • dona83dona83 Posts: 67
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnkHCJ4JBTw

A Mazda 5 ad that's been airing in Canada. :)
  • Was in Montreal a couple of weeks back, you Canadians love Mazda5s :)

Having kids is never been cooler? Wait a minute :P
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,785
    Got a great price on a Sport with the manual. Cool car so far.

But this thread seems pretty dead. Any owners out there still looking and posting?

I'm thinking of getting a roof rack. Any suggestions?

Best, Ben
  • katbugkatbug Posts: 2
    I have a 2009 Mazda5 GT and I'm still in love with it. I thought about getting a roof rack, but decided not to ... I did have the windows professionally tinted. And that worked out VERY well.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,785
    katbug:

Ours came tinted and it looks pretty nice. But I wonder if it will cut down on vision at night. What's your thought on that?

Why did you decide against the roof rack? My thought was that in the rare time we'd be carrying six on the trip we'd need more room for a bit of luggage...