Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A4 vs Acura TL vs Volvo S60 vs VW Passat

Comments

• Audi's Achilles' heel is being associated with the least reliable group on the planet - VW Group. The most unreliable vehicles in automotive history...
  • VW Group. The most unreliable vehicles in automotive history...

That's quite an exageration. VW may have a bad reputation based on now-defunct models, but they've been ave or above ave in recent years, according to consumer reports, that focuses on reliability as opposed to sportiness. From at least 2001 through 2005, the VW Passat was a CR recommended pick for its class. One of the significant factors is reliability.
  • Surely, you didn't recognize the sarcasm in my post (hint: my screen name)... :shades:

B.T.W. - I currently own 3 VWs (1997 Jetta, 2003 Wolfsburg Jetta, 2003 Passat GLS)
  • You're right, I missed it! :blush: I'm impressed with your collection. I love my TL - quite a blast, but aside from missing certain aspects of my Passat, one of the things Imissed was that my Passat was a "sleaper" car. THose who really know cars know it's a good one. Those who don't, just don't know what they're missing!!! Was real disappointed VW isn't offering the current Passat with both a v6 engine and a 6MT. Maybe in year 2?
  • > Was real disappointed VW isn't offering the current Passat with both a v6 engine and a 6MT. Maybe in year 2?

We can only hope... :)
  • ...an '05 Passat with the TDI about three months ago. He currently has 5000 miles on it and, as one would expect, his fuel economy has been superb. I think he had rather good timing with his purchase.

Oh, and so far the car has been great.

Byron
  • I've owned a 2nd Gen A4, an '04 Acura TL, and I've shopped the S40 pretty seriously. I couldn't wait to get rid of the TL, and eventually got back into an Audi. The only other cars that even come close are Mercedes. They're incredibly rigid without being heavy, and there's simply nothing "cheap" anywhere on the car.
  • I can't believe you got rid of your TL so quickly. I love mine - great compromise between comfort and handling; economics and luxury.
  • 'Compromise' -- that's a great word for the TL.

I didn't think the TL was as tight or as solid-feeling as I had come to expect after owning my previous Audi. I had been led to believe the Japanese luxury brands were comparable to the Germans; I've since reconsidered.

They're both good cars -- I just think the Audi is a much better car to drive.
  • "BTW, the Audi gets 24/32 and the Passat gets 22/31. Is that difference just from weight?"

Actually, I think that's the difference between Audi's CVT and the Passat's Tiptronic.
  • frisconickfrisconick Posts: 1,275
    I think "compromise" was a poor choice of words, "blend" is better.
  • I think "compromise" was a poor choice of words, "blend" is better.

6 to one; 1/2 dozen to the other. I think I used the word "compromise," and this might just be a temporary outlook of mine on life, but everything is about compromise, and determining which features are more important. With my TL, I may be giving up RWD accelleration and a smaller car's handling compared to most of its competitors, and may be giving up some luxury compared to Lexis' offerings, but the combo and balance on those things make the TL the perfect compromise for me. I guess "blend" would work, too!!! :D

BTW, Frisco, anything come to fruition re your search for the perfect car?
  • If you want to use the word "compromise", then by all means, use it. Stick to your guns and don't let anyone dictate to you what's acceptable... :shades:
    As a lawyer you should know the value of the correct wording, blend is much better than compromise. :P

I have expanded my search for the perfect car to include the exotic, and unusual, like the alfa. I keep expanding my search, that it's becoming a real chore. I think I am developing a psychlological block. :cry:
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Yep, you're right. You must be a linguist!

"Compromise" has a negative connotation.
  • From what I understand, if you want a reasonably priced, no-frills exotic sports car, the Lotus Elise can't be beat.
    My wife thought that the TL had the best blend of sport and lux than any car on the road, and I agree.
  • Thought I mighta caught ya sleepin' on that one!!! ;)
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Me? Never!! :P