Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac G6 Coupe

Comments

• I love it! :D it handles great, has wonderful power, and nice luxury for the class that it's in. I looked at some of everything out there before I bought it and it by far was the hands down winner. I really do sometimes wish my drive to work was a little further :) I was able to negotiate a great price. You can guarantee get the processing fees and doc fees deducted from the price of the car and other options that you don't want, or if they don't want to take some options off, tell them you'll pay just the invoice price for the option. Do your research, stay confident, and firm and I promise you'll get the price to what you want. If all else fails just walk out of the dealership and it's guaranteed that they will accept your offer or will be calling you back soon. ;) And for all the woman out there, don't be intimidated by the salesman and managers. Even with two managers hassling me and telling me what they COULD'T do, I still come out with the deal I wanted by just staying firm and knowing a few tricks to the game.
  • xkssxkss Posts: 722
    All G6s have hydroformed steel lower engine cradles.

pic one

pic two

pic three
  • Hey, Glad you got a great deal!

Tell ua what some of the tricks you used are?

I know this is not a forum for prices paid and all that, so meybe you can tell us something else, any problems so far?

One of the things that (in my opinnion) hinder people purchasing this car is fuel economy, particularly the city fuel economy. What do you guys think, would it be ok fo the G6 to get 20mpg city if you loose a half second in acceleration?

GM should probably change the gearing. Another was to get this fuel economy up would be to lighten the car up a bit. If it was 200 lbs lighter the fuel economy hsould also go up.

I see the same thing with the G6 and Cobalt, when you look at it from the side, it looks a bit front heavy (i mean the coupe) because of the front overhang. What do you guys think?
  • Hello there,
    I just purchased the G6 coupe in black as well. After just about a week, and one car wash (by hand), I noticed a tremendous amount of surface scratching/swirls on it. I'm wondering if you've had any problems along those lines? The car is actually back at the dealership, as they recommended putting some type of protective polyutherane varnish over it to further protect from sensitive scratching. Would love to hear how your finish is doing now that you've had it for a few months...
    Thanks so much!
  • I recently bought a G6 Coupe in Electric Blue (bright blue)which had this same problem right off the dealer's lot... very fine swirl scratches in the paint surface. I attribute this problem to somebody along the way using a power rotary buffer to polish the car, and bearing down too hard on the surface... easy to do. Fortunately, I was able to remove most of the swirl scratches by hand using Meguiars Polymer Sealant (non abrasive). I made the mistake of buying this car at night and did not see the swirl scratches until later in the daylight. Never will make that mistake again.
  • Thats a nice color. How are you enjoying your car? The coups look pretty good, hell even the tailights are growing on me. The Pics GM released earlier sucked though.

Did you get a GT or GTP. If you got a GT tell us how you like the sterring, meybe at 2006 GM fixed the small lockup problem.

This car should get you plenty of looks, though :)

Any Idea is the G6 will get a Nav system and the 6speed auto any time soon?
  • G6 improves compared with Grand Am: In contrast to the Pontiac G6's good performance in the frontal test, its predecessor Grand Am was rated poor. When the Institute tested a 1999 model, the driver's survival space wasn't maintained very well, the steering wheel moved up toward the driver, and a high head acceleration occurred when the dummy's head hit the pillar behind the driver seat. Intrusion also contributed to high forces on the dummy's right leg.

"The performance of the G6 is dramatically better," Lund says. The structure was maintained very well, there was minimal intrusion into the occupant compartment, and most injury measures were low.

This car is rated acceptable for side impact protection, but only when equipped with optional side curtain airbags designed to protect occupants' heads. All injury measures recorded on the driver dummy were low, but forces recorded on the rear passenger dummy indicated the possibility of rib fractures or internal organ injuries. Without side airbags, the G6 is rated poor in the side test. This car earns the second lowest rating of marginal for rear crash protection.

here: http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/03/06/crash-test-results-ford-fusion-disappoint- s-video/
  • I just got a black gtp coupe 6-speed around christmas and i must say it is amazing. i test drove the accord v-6 coupe, the new civic si, a mustang gt, the new wrx, an acura rsx-s, and a couple other random cars/suv's. there was just something about the way the car felt that i really liked. also, the price was right. i got every single box checked except for the onstar for under 26K.

i dont care what the magazines say about this manual tranny(nobody likes it thus far), i really like it. the shifter is large and a bit heavy feeling so it makes it seem like youre really driving a powerful car. not like the toy-feel of the accord and certainly the cheap feeling civic si.

also, on the topic of gas mileage, i get BETTER than sticker! when i take it easy in-town i can squeeze 20 out of it, and on the freeway at 65 i get 31.5 sometimes over 32 if the a/c is off.

all-in-all this car is very well built and feels very solid. i am extremely happy with my pick of this car and would recommend it to anyone! i get tons of looks and when i have my windows down i get random compliments at stoplights. its funny cause ive never really experienced that before. :)
  • about throttle response, is it too sensetive?

PS why do you think so many ppl ignore this car? All the specs have it pretty good against its competitors.
  • Coupe popularity in general has been down when compared to sedans. For the G6 specifically, I think the visibility out the rear and rear-side hurts this car. The rear window is narrow and the pillars are large and what space that exists seems to be taken up by the rear headrests.

I have a camaro which I've always considered to have visibilty issues but they are not as bad as the G6 coupe.
  • martymartmartymart Posts: 23
    The rear window is narrow and the pillars are large and what space that exists seems to be taken up by the rear headrests.

I bought a G6 GT in January and it did not take long for me to release the headrests and throw them in the trunk. It gives a little more visibility, no one has been in the back seat yet and it has been 2 months. Push the backseat forward a little bit and release the headrest. This should help, I tinted out my windows and it would be impossible to see with these still in.
  • I just bought the 06 Accord coupe EX-V6 6MT, and I liked the shifter feel better than the G6. The G6 GTP was a lot lower in price (about $3000 or so in Canada, but a lot of stuff like side curtain airbags are options that are standard on the Accord) and I didn't think it was worth the difference. The interior of the Accord 6MT is nicer in my experience. It seems classier to me, and the manual transmission is much more precise. Plus it blows the doors off the GTP while getting better fuel economy. I get 21mpg if I'm driving hard in the city and just over 31 on the highway. The only G6 that will beat the 6speed manual Accord is the GXP, and I don't see any lying around as of yet.

Although the 2006 G6 GTP coupe felt like a solid, well put together car, something I can't say for it's sedan counterpart I drove in 2005. It also has fairly nice styling. The front end is better than the Accord's, but the rear the Accord wins, IMO. I prefer the Accord's seats to the G6's, and the ergonomics too. It was the little tactile things like the dash and roof material, and plastics difference that helped along with the Accord for me.
  • but the G6 has a good price advantage over the Accord, and if you load the cars up to be similarly equipped, the G6 still comes out much less. The Power is almost exactly the same, the ride is similar. The G6 GTP should give you better of the line feel (judging from the tourque curve on the GTP) and has 18inch wheels.

I dunno about the shifter though. Personally i think the G6 GTP Coupe makes the Accord Coupe look like it belongs in a florida retirement home. :P
  • ajay5ajay5 Posts: 10
    Signed the papers this morning(fri)and will pick it up wednesday on my day off. Msrp $26480. Selling price $25296 minus $750 rebate, -$500 auto show bonus cash, -$500 dealer coupon. Additionally there was $500 trade in assistance for 1999 and newer cars. I traded my 03 grand Am and with the extra 500 and savings on the sales tax I probably got what I would have gotten privately w/out the hassles. Dealer was above Kelly BB to begin with. Now I will be a member of the book of the month club again. Dealer only had one GT with the equipment I wanted; onstar, leather etc. so I didn't want to wait for better offers and then have no car available in the area. Will keep you posted.
  • lacrossecxslacrossecxs Posts: 12
    I just bought an '06 G6 GTP in Red. Got 100 miles on it already and having a lot of fun driving it despite the clunky shifting 6-speed. The car is very solid and has a very confident feeling on the curves.
    Has anyone found a manufacturer of aftermarket performance mods for this vehicle yet? I'm interested in a body kit, short-throw shifter, performance exhaust, and cold air intake for starters. If you know of any suppliers, please let me know.
    Thanks, Fazone! I checked it out and it's a real nice kit. May wait until a few others show up on the market just to be sure it's the one I want. I also was able to locate a ram-air hood that makes the car look a lot like a GTO from the front. My wallet is starting to cry already!
    I have been looking at user car pics on other sites, and see a lot of people are removing the headlight covers and painting the chrome bezels to match the body color. I was wondering how to do that. What kind of prep has to be done to the chromed plastic to make the paint adhere properly? Any clues out there?
    Thanks!
  • hillsg6hillsg6 Posts: 10
    I bought my new '06 g6 coupe GT in silver, and I couldn't be happier with my choice. An option you don't hear much about but really adds to the look of the car is a dealership-installed spoiler. The dealership I went to had about three g6 coupes in stock with a slightly elevated spoiler (not the factory lip spoiler), and I fell in love with the look that it gives the car. Plus, the chrome tires with the silver exterior make it a beautiful car! Because of a lot of the reviews I had read, I was worried about the rear visibility of the car, but once you get used to looking in certain places its no different than getting used to any other car's "blind spots." Definitely a price worth paying for the HUGE back seat (I had two 6ft. tall guys in there yesterday!) and nice lines of the car. I've already put about 200 miles on it and loved testing out the manual shift mode; it's a lot of fun and it definitely does help with getting slightly better gas mileage (about 22 mpg brand new/all city driving).

I also love the looks people give me in the car. I haven't seen any g6's that look at all like mine (with the spoiler) and I've already had several people pull up to me and ask me what exactly I'm driving. I can see the resemblance that people claim to the Solara; however, I think that with the spoiler it looks almost like a cross between an Infinity G35 and a Solara, with a better-looking front and interior. I would highly recommend this car to anyone looking for an unusual, practical but sporty car!
  • pr0gr4mpr0gr4m Posts: 1
    I had a '97 Dodge Avenger that I ran into the ground. It finally gave out on me last week. So had to get a new car. I liked the G6 but did not want a sedan. I didn't even know the g6 coupe existed until last Thursday. A co-worker told me they made a coupe so I went to the local dealership to test one out. The 3 that they had on the lot all had dead batteries. So I hit another dealer and they had a much wider selection (about a dozen or so) and I found one that had everything I wanted and more. I bought it right then and there.

The only thing I didn't really want was a sunroof, but the one that had the options I wanted had a sunroof. I love the look and the ride of this car. I got the automatic after reading about the "clunky" 6 speed. I really love the car. The visibility thing is not an issue for me as the Avenger had crappy visibility too. So I'm used to it.

I have a couple questions.
    My radio sounds yukkie. I got the 6 disc changer Monsoon system with XM but I can not for the life of me get a good sound out of it. For the radio I have to turn the bass way down and then for CD's I have to boost it back up. In general the system sounds very midrangy to me.

Are there aftermarket radios that have the full system integration (the info and menu and programming stuff) built in to them so I don't loose those features if I want to upgrade?

Do you think that just a simple speaker upgrade would improve the sound?
    I also have an 06 GTP Coupe, but mine is a 6MT. The shifting is clunky, but after only 500 miles I am used to it and it's not something I even think about anymore. I'm looking forward to finding a replacement shifter once more mods come on the market.
    I agree with you about the crappy sound and huge differences based on which component is playing. Since I do not switch between disks and radio all that often, it's an inconvenience more than a problem for me. But I doubt very much that there is an upgraded aftermarket audio system available that will both fit in the dash and integrate with the DIC (Driver Information Center). You should also be aware that most GM remote lock/unlock/remote starter systems key into the radio as well. So you might also lose those OEM functions as well as the DIC if you switch the radio to an aftermarket system. However, you MIGHT be able to find a system from a higher level Pontiac (AKA Bonneville) that would work. You should try speaking with a knowledgeable Tech at the GM ranch. I was thinking of upgrading the speakers and adding a subwoofer myself since I think the speakers are kind of weak. It wont FIX the fact that you have more bass from radio than CD's, but it might make it easier to live with. The subwoofer would help a lot in filling in the bottom when the speakers find the music out of range.

Good luck...and post again if you find out more information.
  • 72chevelle72chevelle Posts: 8
    Metra makes a DIC that fits the G6 (model Metra 99-3303). You can then add an aftermarket stereo. You can check out various Pontiac boards for folks' experiences.
  • ajay5ajay5 Posts: 10
    Have 1700 miles now. Car is a lot of fun to drive and feels very solid. Engine is smooth and quiet with plenty of power. Sound system is great and I really like having Onstar. 4 wheel discs are a big improvement over disc/drums. Everyone gives the exterior styling a thumbs up. The car looks great! Just took a trip and got over 30 mpg highway. Car is a great package.
  • is htis right?
    Too Many Engines

Snapshot
    Available Engines:
    169-hp, 2.4-liter I-4
    217-hp, 3.5-liter V-6
    224-hp, 3.5-liter V-6
    227-hp, 3.9-liter V-6
    240-hp, 3.9-liter V-6
    252-hp, 3.6-liter V-6

Available Transmissions: 4-speed automatic w/OD
    4-speed automatic w/OD and auto-manual
    6-speed automatic w/OD and auto-manual
    6-speed manual w/OD

This can't beright. Meybe Gm should drop some enignes/engine plants. Too much here for 1 car. Keep it simple. A 4 cyl and the3.6, if your really in trouble give it the 224hp 3.5 in the middle but thats it.

Can't wait to see the 3.6L version.
  • g6gtpg6gtp Posts: 2
    do you have a link or and image of that spoiler. i cant seem to find one other than the low factory "lip" spoiler.

thanks
  • I don't know what spoiler the other poster installed, but I just installed this one on my '06 coupe...from ebay. GREAT color match, perfect fit, looks incredible on the car, very reasonable price. Took about 2 weeks from payment to delivery. I love mine, it really makes the car look great!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PAINTED-2005-2006-Pontiac-G6-Coupe-Custom-Spoiler- -Wing_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33638QQitemZ8072888492QQrdZ1
  • g6gtpg6gtp Posts: 2
    yeah i saw that. thanks. but the other post said it was a factory install when she bought it i believe. i havnt seen it yet on the lot.
    It was a pontiac dealership install, but the spoiler is made specifically for the g6. My image hosting isn't working right now, but I'll post a picture or two of it tomorrow so everyone can see. Sorry it took me a while to get back to y'all.
    Actually, I found a different way to post them.

Hope that helps!

I now have almost 1200 miles on it and I still love everything about it! I've had soo many people ask me what it is or stop and BACK UP down my street to look at it! It's a great car.
  • martymartmartymart Posts: 23
    It looks like I have the same car, I like the spoiler. I did add limo tint to my rear windows and 22% in the front. It looks really sharp tinted out. It would look great on your car.