Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Optima 2006.5-2008

Comments

• csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    mickeyrom...I have an '07 LX with the 4 cylinder and appearance package. Your Kumhos sound like the base tire rather than the narrow aspects. My car should drive even harder. I read that Hyundai substituted 55 series for 50 tires in 07 because of complaints of harshness.

Iluv... five years ago I was convinced that I had to have a manual transmission. The Optima is fine with an automatic, however. Neither the Optima nor Maxx had an available manual so I had to make do. Now it doesn't bother me at all.

Some cars are geared a lot lower with the manual and new automatics are GREATLY improved, so I don't think the savings with manuals (have to learn not to say 5-speeds) are there compared to the automatics.

I think the original Sportage was a tough little truck. I do think quality control stunk, but if you lucked out and got a good one the basic toughness was there. You apparently drew a good one.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Posts: 936
    csandste,
    What kind of MPG are you getting?Mine for 3000 miles avegaged 25.5,the Sonata for 10,000 miles averaged 28.6
    Dont you find that a bit strange as the Optima is lighter and has a 5 speed automatic?

My biggest complaint is the air bag issue on the passenger seat.Ive been now back 4 times to the dealer and the problem persists.I called the KIA number on their main site,snd essentially the guy told me that the seat belt is the main restraint.He also told me to give him a call when the car is actually at the dealer.
    My wife's driving the car. Haven't had it out on the road yet and so it's too early. Looks like low twenties around town. If you're getting 25.5 mixed for 3000 miles you're probably doing a bit better than my Malibu Maxx. I'd guess that's averaging 24. Kia (for some unexplained reason) doesn't have a mpg calculation-- did Hyundai? My Maxx is about a mile and a half too optimistic. Right now I've been driving around town with it and it's probably showing 24. Fill-up would be closer to 22.5

I'm not sure what is the problem with the air bag. Does it indicate that the bag is off when someone's in the car. I could have had heated seats for an additional $50 with the leather but dealer said that would interfere with airbag indicator.

Having a non-functioning passenger airbag and having Kia tell you that's not serious is a problem. Obviously cars need functioning airbags to be certified. I'd contact NTSB on that one. I haven't looked at their site to see if this shows up (assume I've got the correct one)-- have you?
    Yes,the light does come on when the seat is empty.When my wife is in the seat,sometimes it goes on and sometimes it doesn't.I thought maybe that even so,the air bag was active.But no,the KIA people say that when the light is on,the system is not functioning.
    Ah yes,the MPG...another stupid decision by KIA.Hyundai and every other car that has a computer,has a MPG mode.Isn't that the most important part of the device?

As far as my car and the air bag,,,my wife is VERY irritated because she seems to think that since we paid for the safety device it should function.ALL THE TIME.What a concept, :surprise: lol,that what we paid for should actually work.
    Should have said NHTSA. Here is their site for lodging complaints:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
    Thank you,if my next appointment is unsuccessful,I will use your suggestion.
  • yeah, we got a good Sportage 4x4. The truck had a few pickups that needed to be done under the Long-Haul and under the 20,000 mile mark, so it didn't go perfectly when we just got it. But since then the alternator has gone out(at 88,000 miles)and the brake light switch. Those two repairs totaled about $400 to take care of and were not covered under Warranty.

Everything else on the SUV were either Long-Haul covered or brakes or tires...all the normal maintenance stuff. I really can't believe how minimal the 5+ year costs have been to own and operate the Sportage 4x4. Oh, the truck has gotten me out of about 4 or 5 stuck-in-the-ice issues so far, too. It's nice to have the 4WD available. The rig is highly reliable and runs quiet and smooth and runs right away and doesn't need any warm-up period. Nice truck and we won't be trading it in anytime soon.

As for this thread's topic, the new Kia Optima, I would expect a different response concerning mickeyrom's airbag problem, too. Disappointing handling of that issue and it needs fixing. That is a safety issue-mickey...do get it handled by your dealer ASAP.

Didn't realize all carmakers were installing mpg-a-meters as standard equipment these days. My Sportsman sure doesn't have one. I don't really need one, either. I just figure mine up the old-fashioned way, in my head! ;) It is true that the old-fashioned method doesn't give me real-time miles per gallon data on a constant basis, indeed. I look forward to my next new rig having one of these new-fangled mpg-a-meter's.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

I didnt mean to imply that all cars have the MPG features,just the ones with "trip computers"I have a 97 Chrysler T&C and even that 10 year old car has one.Its pretty accurate too.The Hyundai computer on every model that has one has the MPG feature.I think KIA is the only one for reasons I cannot fathom,does not.
    Re. the airbags,now the light stays on all the time,so it actually might be easier to fix.We have an appointment at a dealer on the 6th of Feb.
    Agreed. If it computes mileage to empty it's got the smarts to do it. Was it this thread that postulated it was because the mileage would be under EPA?-- didn't want it in your face.
    It just somehow got into the conversation.No idea when or how.
  • w9cww9cw Posts: 888
    It seems Kia chooses to place the trip computer on vehicles sold outside of the USA - go figure! I've been seriously looking at the new Rondo, and I don't think it has a trip computer either, even on the EX model. Interestingly, the online service manual shows that there's a trip computer, but this must be for the fortunate few in other countries.

Heck, my old 1994 Grand Caravan ES had a trip computer, and the MPG readout was within .1 MPG of the calculated figure.
    They have a trip computer,they just dont give you the MPG.Which IMO makes it almost useless,except they do have a Range to empty,which is somewhat useful.My trip computer has 2 odometers,range,average MPH and outside temp.Not sure what the purpose of the MPH part is,but there it is.
    My 87 Chrysler Le Baron had the same computer.I enjoyed it.It was a cool little toy.So does my current back up,an 97 Town&Country LXi.BTW,that is a car that gets terrible reviews,but I love mine.Even the highway MPG is pretty good.23-25.
    I have looked at the Rondo,and for such a small vehicle 29MPG isn't impressive,not with a 4 cyl engine.What do you think of it?
    I like the Rondo a lot and it would be on my short list if the Malibu bites the big one. On the other hand I also like the Maxx a great deal. Give me a big hatch....
    See if you can find a 2006 Hyundai Elantra hatchback.I drove one,pretty cool especially if you get the GT.
    I had an 01 Elantra sedan. Second or third best car I've ever had, but I like the Malibu Maxx better. Of course they're different classes of cars.

It took me several months to get used to the larger size but now I think I'd miss it if I went back to a C class car.

I did like the looks of the last gen. Elantra hatch-- very Saabish and better looking than the new one IMHO.

I don't have enough time behind the wheel of the Optima to make a judgement yet as to whether it's better than the Maxx, I do know I'm going to spend more on maintenance.
  • about the 2006.5 and 2007 Kia Optima's and their timing chain instead of timing belt? Was it just on the 2.4L 4 cyl engine that a timing chain is installed and not on the 6?

Or was this found to be bunk information?

csandste...I found out yesterday that the 2008 Chevy Malibu us not going to have a manual tranny on any model 'Bu. I have removed myself from that particular race then.

Oh, well...I still have the '08 Lancer, '07 or '08 Optima, '08 Hornet, '08 Obvio! 828/2, '07 or '08 Suzuki SX4 crossover and SX4 sedan to follow closely as owners get 'em and drive 'em to make up my mind what I might want next. Also, the Rondo is cool, the Kue looks cool, the Soul may come here(or is the Soul really the Kue)...whoa...Kia has been/is very busy lately! Lots of choices so the '08 'Bu can be dropped with no real pain inflicted.

But I do wonder about the new Optima's timing belt vs. timing chain question. Did we resolve that?

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

The 2006.5 Optima 2.4 engine has a timing chain.I managed to find the actual diagram of the engine.The 2.7 V6 has a belt.
    The new Elantra isnt quite as attractive,but is roomier.About like the Optima.Also is rated as 36MPG Hwy.
  • joe131joe131 Posts: 972
    The new Elantra is about like the Spectra in size, not Optima.
    I sat in one and it was just like my Optima.Outside looks a bit smaller.
  • joe131joe131 Posts: 972
    For 2007, the interior sizes of the 3 are actually all different from one another, but the Elantra and Spectra are very close, while the Optima is significantly larger for passengers.

EPA lists volume in cubic feet for passengers/cargo:
    Elantra........98/14
    Optima.......104/14
    Spectra........97/12

Manufacturer lists passenger/cargo volume:
    Elantra........97.9/14.2
    Optima.......104.2/14.8
    Spectra........97.0/12.2
    http://newcartestdrive.com/

"Ride quality varied between the cars we drove, with the LX wearing the Kumho tires on 16-inch wheels the less compliant, although by no means rough or bumpy. This surprised us, as generally the taller a tire's sidewall, the more give and the better the ride, and on the Optima, the 17-inch wheels wear the lower-profile Michelin tires with shorter sidewalls. On the other hand, and probably because of the sidewall height, the EX delivered the crisper, more responsive handling. This isn't to imply the EX is a sports sedan, given its forward-weight bias and comfort-oriented suspension settings, but merely that it's the more enjoyable of the two models."

Looks like the 60 series Kumho tires are actually stiffer than the sporty Michelins. When they wear out you might want to change tires. Kumhos usually score pretty high with TireRack.com's user ratings. This might be a unique tire-- OEM tires are sometimes cheaper.
    Its not so much a complaint ,as an observation.My car originally came with Michellins,but they seemed to be out of round,so they just switched the wheels with another Optima.Before I bought this car I drove an Optima with the appearance package,which includes the 17 in. rims.This one was definitely a harder ride than the 16 inchers.Matter of fact I found it so hard that I had almost decided to forget about the Optima altogether.A loaded Sonata Ltd. would have cost me only around a thousand more after the discounts.The only reason I went to the KIa was for the alleged better mileage.34 v 30 MPG on the top of the line car.You might not know,that there is no Sonata with leather available with a 4 cyl.
    Look back at my earlier post about add-on leather (not you, others-- too late for you unless you buy a Hyundai). Dealer only charged me $500 charge. Actually looks as good as factory leather to my untrained eye.
    Yes,I saw that post.I also wanted a power seat and that required a LTD.
    My base (LS in 2005) Malibu Maxx had a 2 way power seat. Not as upscale as an 8 way but a lot handier than the lever on the side of the Optima. Not bad for a sixteen thousand dollar car.

Yet, the Malibu boards had someone complaining about that--wanted an eight way seat on every car. I guess everyone's expectations change over time. I bought my last new car without air conditioning in 1980.
    Let me see...my first new car was a Plymouth Belvedere II with no radio,with automatic transmission,and a vinyl interior.I thought it was wonderful.Oh,it also had whitewall tires and full hub-caps.Wow!!!!(MSRP-$2650)
    The first car I bought with air was a 70 Ford LTD.It was a gorgeous car,but it didnt have any power equipment.In 1980 I bought a new 1980 Toyota Corolla station wagon,and the only extra was the automatic transmission.It cost, $6000.00
    BTW the 67 Plym and 80 Toyota got almost the same mileage,although the Plym had a slant 6 and the Toyota a 1.8 4 cylinder engine.Not only that,but the Plym. was much heavier.Didnt make much sense to me.
    Only averaged 21 mpg. Roughly 5 mpg less than what I would have averaged with the 'BuMaxx V-6. Not real good for a four but I do know Hyundai engines are really stiff when new and it has been extremely (for Missouri) cold.
    Just got my latest issue of Consumer Reports.Optima was rated 5th among "family" sedans,yet didnt get a red check mark of approval.Neither did the cars rated #1 and #2.Pretty weird.It also says that real word MPG in the city is 16 and HWY 34.
    I can live with my MPG,25.5 after 3000 miles,but my Huyndai averaged 3 more MPG,which doesnt make sense.
    CR would want more consumer feedback before awarding the check. 15 city and 30 hwy (new engine) would have averaged 22.5 mpg-- roughly what I got and less than you've been averaging-- tight engine I'd think. Your car should continue to improve up to about 5000 miles.

An average of 28.5 is really outstanding for a mid-sized car. Is this from actual computations or does the Sonata compute mpg in its drivers information computer?