Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Optima 2006.5-2008

Comments

• mickeyrommickeyrom Posts: 936
    :surprise: Is it IFCAR who bases the ratings on brief test drives?How about Backy...is he some kind of car expert or is he just a normal car enthusiast like me.
    If you get better mileage on your V6 you must be doing great,because my Optima,at least on the highway is pretty good.Straight highway driven 65-70MPH I averaged 36.1 MPG.
    Of course in town it's another story,I'm sorry to say.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    "Normal"? That's a good question...

But, back to the Optima! Whenever I've read a review of the Optima, it praises the I4 and talks about the relatively low power of the V6. I can't figure out why Kia didn't get to put the 3.3L V6 in the Optima, unless its because of supply problems or maybe because Hyundai didn't want the Optima stealing sales from the Sonata V6. Personally, I don't care because the I4 in the Optima (and Sonata) has enough power for my needs. I am eagerly awaiting the IIHS side impact tests on the Optima, so I can hopefully add it to the short list for my next new car (LX I4 automatic with ABS/ESC package).
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,675
    Kia Optima is an awesome package overall. And it's styling is classic Kia. That is, great amounts of thought put in to it. No kidding, I still believe my '99 Kia Sephia had it all over Honda's Civic and Toyota's Corolla in the looks department. Kia has made nice strides in quality since 1999 and the new Optima is a great car giving the owner great value. Gas mileage is certainly doable in the Optima, IMO.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    Nice to see you back here ILUV, did you buy the Suzuki?

As for mileage, I get about 33 on the road with the Maxx. I haven't quite hit that yet on the Optima but they're notoriously stiff when new. We're taking the first decent road trip this week from St. Louis to Branson. That ought to put another 800 miles or so on the car.

My wife has put fewer miles on the Optima than any car I've ever owned. 2500 miles in five months! I average almost 2000 a month on my 'Bu. Did the first oil change today. Got in a big fight at Wally-World trying to get them to substitute a Super Tech oil filter for the crappy Fram. Finally did. I went with Super Tech 5w30, tried to get ST 5w20 because I suspect that it might have some group III base stocks. They were out, however. I notice that Warren Performance Products has 5w20 semi-synthetic on their web site but not petroleum. Suspect that Wal-Mart might be buying the semi-syn and selling it at dino. prices. They already have semi-synthetic Phillips at the roughly the same price and if I was still changing my own oil I'd be buying that as I think the basestocks and additives are more durable than the Warren PP.

Anyway I had good luck with ST oil on my Elantra. I normally buy Pennzoil for the Maxx because I'm pushing it to 7000 miles, but for 3000-4000 mile OCI's the ST should be fine. Any SM oil should be fine.

I'm amazed that Kia allows just about any weight of oil in the summer. With my Elantra I started out with ST 10w30 for 9 months a year, but wound up with 5-30 for 9 months. I've stayed with 5w30 religiously with the Maxx. I wanted to try 5w20 with the Kia based on the good UOA's for all 5w20's on Bobistheoilguy, although I haven't seen any ST (Warren) yet.

BTW-- The Champion (ST) filter for the Optima is not an Ecore design, it has metal in the core of the filter. Really like AC and ST Ecore filters in the Maxx. With that kind of design oil flow should be excellent.
    Maybe I should have said amatuer...OK?
    I agree about that 2.7 engine.No point in having slightly more horsepower,losing MPGs and having to change a timing belt at 60K miles.The Sonata 3.3 has some real power and the same economy as the 2.7...so why would anyone buy a 2.7 Optima?The price is close enough,especially with incentives.The 2.4 is the only way to go,IMO.
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    I had a v-6 EX for a week while leather was being put on my LX. I agree with you. I think it's a little strange that IFCAR didn't differentiate between the Hyundai and Kia sixes more strongly. He did on his previous review.
  • micro99micro99 Posts: 51
    Methinks you all are trying too hard to justify your choice of the Kia four engine and in doing so. fail to acknowledge some balancing perspectives ! May I offer the following for your consideration:

- the KIA 2.7 mu engine IS. IN FACT. a modern. newly built engine. with all the very newest technology that the 2.4 possesses including CVVT. Please do not mistakenly characterize it otherwise when comparing it to the Sonata or other V6`s. It is what it is- namely, a smaller displacement V6 which has its own pluses and minuses.
    - although making less torque and horsepower than the larger displacement competitor engines, the 2.7 mu is extemely smooth, quiet and dare I say refined, with a willingness to rev quickly and freely.
    - whether one wishes to select ANY V6 over an I4 is a personal subjective choice- involving tradeoffs on smoothness/ refinement/power/ fuel economy/ other factors. In my situation, the 2.7 mu is nearly the perfect compromise for the following reasons:
    - it is noticeably smoother and quieter than the I4, at idle and particularly under certain load conditions
    - it has more than sufficient power under all conceivable real world driving conditions, but also has more reserve power than the I4 when needed on those infrequent occasions when others might put you at risk
    - it has more torque than the I4 and therefore does not need to seek a lower gear as quickly when in cruise control in hilly terrain
    - it has remarkably good fuel ecomomy on the highway cruising at 65 mph, with acceptable fuel economy in suburban or even city driving. I suspect that the 2.7 engine would be grouped more with the I4 engines , rather than competitor V6 engines, when it comes to fuel consumption stats, PROVIDED all cars were driven in a non aggressive manner. My observation is that the 2.7 mu (and the Optima drivetrain of course) is particularly sensitive to the type of driving- perhaps more so than other competitors. I do not know if this might be true for the Optima I4 as well.

All of the above leads me to wish that KIA would make a commitment to stay with a smaller displacement V6, and focus on further technology and tuning to improve fuel efficiency even further, with only modest increases in torque and horsepower.All the above IMHO.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,675
    do you own one of the new world order Kia Optima's? It is a nice car that I considered for a while. I appreciated your comments on the new Kia V6 2.7L engine. Good insight from an informed person is usually a good thing, eh?

csandste...nope, my wife and I traded the beloved '01 Sportage 4x4 in on a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS! With the CVT engine and the Sun and Sound package. The Sun and Sound gives is a 650-watt Rockford Fosgate 6CD changer with AM/FM/and a prepaid 6-month Sirius satellite radio subscription. I left the manual tranny fold with this one but am not struggling with converting back to driving automatics...I get the 6 forward magnesium paddle shifters when I feel like playing a bit. It's pretty cool, although, most of the time I just drive the thing in old-fashioned 'D'.

We have put about 2,100 miles on it in two months of ownership so now's the time to think about filters and oils. Out first three years of maintenance are prepaid with the contract, so, we'll go to a Mitsu dealership to get the first oil change. We also get the 'Auto Butler' done every 6 months(no extra cost, at least that I'm aware of :D ). The 'Auto Butler' coats your car with a protectant coating for the paint.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

Yes I do own a 2007 Optima- a very attractive Ebony black color, powered by (what else :o)) a 2.7 V6 !! It is loaded with every conceivable option,and if you researched this car as you indicated, you`ll know that the Optima has a full load of convenience and safety features. I have had the car since early January, have approx. 4200 miles on the odometer, and can say that it has been absolutely flawless to date ! Absolutely tight, with no squeaks or rattles and very solid feeling in all respects. Although the car handles nicely, it clearly does not have the acceleration
    traits that some of the professed enthusiast drivers would be looking for (but more than adequate for my needs) .

Wish you well with your new Lancer !!
    Sounds like my 2006.5.except that I have the 2.4 engine.It has plenty acceleration enough for me.I also dont get all the things critics say about "handling".How much handling do you need going down the interstate? IMO,unless you're going to race the thing, handling is overrated.Maybe they mean tracking,in which case the Sonata was better.
    Actually, I think the reviewers/critics had to struggle really hard to find ANYTHING negative to say about this car!! To my recollection, they did not say much negative about handling , just that it was average and in their mind not up to the Accord (what else would you expect?) The I4 like yours compared very favorably against others like it, and the only thing they could offer was that the V6 was not
    comparable to the competitor V6 in power ! You already know my thoughts on that !

It`s really quite interesting to see how well this car rates with owners on all the internet sites. You might want to check for yourself !
  • joewbjoewb Posts: 1
    I recently purchased that car, I4 with ABS/ESC. But I had to also buy the appearance package, ABS/ESC is not available without the appearance package. So far the car has been great.
    I haven't wished for the V6 yet, the I4 has done just fine.
    I am eagerly awaiting the IIHS side impact tests on the Optima

Me too ! Do you have any info as to why this test is seemingly taking so long? Is it simply a matter of IIHS scheduling and test info publication, or, has Kia been intentionally slow for reasons unknown ? I suspect the former but would like your view. If the side test is positive, the Optima would be in limiteed company for all-round safety testing !
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    The former, unless Kia made recent changes holding up final testing. I'm also waiting on the Elantra test resuls.
    I hate to contradict you,but my car is an EX without the appearance package and I do have the ABS/ESC.I do have the leather package however.
    Micro,trust me I have read every review on the Optima that I could find.Some say it doesn't handle like a "sports sedan" whatever that is.I'm just saying that you dont need sporty handling unless you race.
  • are you aware that the sonata is basicly the same car. Did you know that KIa has been owned since 1999 by Hundai so whats your point?
    The new Optima is not the same as the Sonata.The old 2006 Optima was based on the Sonata,but according to Consumer Reports,the new style Optima is based on the Hyundai 2007 Elantra.I had a 2006 Sonata and I assure you it is not anything like a new Optima.Doesn't drive the same,it doesn't ride the same and doesn't have the same wheelbase or turning circle.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,415
    Mickey is right. The previous generation Optima and Sonata were the same car. The Optima and Sonata no longer share a body or underlying architecture. The Optima is an enlarged Elantra. I don't think that takes away so much from the Optima as it says how the Elantra has been improved.
    the Optima is an enlarged Elantra

Do you have any references or publications to support this statement that you could share? I always thought that the Spectra and the Elantra were "cousins"and that the Optima had the same platform as the Sonata except for differing suspensions ( the Sonata using double wishbone with the Optima using McPherson struts in front and mutilinks in rear ).