Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Optima 2006.5-2008

Comments

• newbie08newbie08 Posts: 2
    Hi Everyone
    I was lucky enough to get a 08 optima 9 mi on it!! new and nice BUT...... am I missing something? The other night I went out to the car to check it out and opened the hood and no light?? it was 11 pm and well if I ever have a problem at night you cant see a thing?? is there one I dont see? or am I just not going to have that as a feature of my car 08 optiima lx 4 cyl 5 speed, :)
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Posts: 936
    Good grief Charlie Brown...don't judge a car by lack of a feature such as an under- hood light.Why are you checking under your hood at 11 PM anyway? Lose something? :confuse:
  • newbie08newbie08 Posts: 2
    NOT JUDGING IN A BAD WAY!! LOVE THE CAR IT WAS A GREAT DEAL AND HAS ALOT OF FEATURES BUT NOT HAVING A LIGHT UNDER THE HOOD WAS A SUPRISE I THOUGHT IT HAD TO BE THERE SOMEWHERE? AFTER ALL EVERY TIME YOU PULL THE MIRROR OUT THATS ATTACHED TO THE SUN VISOR THE LITTLE LIGHT COMES ON, GEES HAS ONE THERE BUT NOT UNDER THE HOOD? CANT BE RIGHT??? :shades:
    Newnie,
    My Optima EX cost around 22.5K and has no hood light.My 97 Chrysler Town & Country LXi cost 33K and had no hood light.
    I cannot remember a car I've had that had that a hood light.Out of curiosity,what car have you owned that had that feature?
    I vaguely remember having a hood light on some auto I had owned,but I cannot remember what it was.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,686
    Here's an idea:

1. Go to local discount or hardware store.
    2. Buy a $2 flashlight
    3. Put flashlight in glovebox.

Problem solved! :)
    I have a better idea..You might address this to the one who actually has the issue.I have no problem with my no light under the hood KIA Optima
    It was a general comment, not directed specifically to you. You just happened to make the previous post in the chain. Lighten up (pun intended :) ).
    Good one !
  • dkh1967dkh1967 Posts: 8
    There are things about my Optima that I am surprised it does and doesn't have. KIA's are built to a price and they put on smart equipment, not a lot of junk. That is one thing I have noticed. I like the struts that hold up the hood. You don't see that on many cars in that price range. My parents bought a new Honda Accord EX-L and it doesn't have hood struts or a light. So they have to fool with that rod.. I was shocked on that.

KIA doesn't have automatic locking doors when I slide it out of park or get to a certain speed, but my Ford Focus did. And it jacked the price up on the Focus. Each one of these little items keep the price higher. That is why KIA can build a good car at a good price. They have decided what drivers REALLY need and what they can do without. It keeps the price to a minimum.

If I need to lock my doors I just hit the lock button to lock them all. I can feel your pain a little when it comes to the light under the hood. I know what you mean. I missed it on the last four cars I had. Maybe cars run better these days and they don't think you'll break down on the side of the road and need that light. And with KIA (keeping that price low) it could be one more item that would take the price the other way..

Just my two cents worth... Still love my 2007 Optima LX 5 spd auto...
    And the Accord doesn't have struts for the trunk lid, either. Instead it has the old-fashioned spring lifters that take up trunk space and can crush cargo.
    You're exactly right.... I did a evil snicker when I saw those two bars (like cars used in the old days in trunks, and some still do) come slapping down in that Honda. I thought, "Wow, they really designed my KIA well." Those trunk struts are on the left and right side. I think that is a German design because my Focus had that.

I need to take one thing back.... my Optima has only ONE hood strut. I just went out and checked.. Regardless I just throw it up an that is that.. I do miss the light under the hood to check the oil in my dark garage.

I think one of those shielded work-light that hook onto the inside of the hood work great.

You guys have a good day..
    A BMW 3-Series I owned had only one hood strut too. That may be to maximize access to the engine.
    Hyundai and KIA both have auto-locking doors.A tech just needs to program them.They might tell you that they can't do it,but they would be wrong.You just need to find a more knowledgeable tech.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,681
    you already sold the Beemer? Wow, that didn't last long!

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

No, some love affairs are fleeting. Sometimes you find out that sexy lady is "high maintenance", likes to grab your credit card a lot etc. I could go on with this metaphor, but I'll spare everyone so we can return to our regularly scheduled program. ;)
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,681
    got it. Now back to our regularly scheduled auto program.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• jimrichjimrich Posts: 4
    My '07 kia is very nice BUT the gas pedal is a little too light and makes smooth, gradual accel rather difficult and jerky sometimes. I want to know if anyone has adjusted the tension of your gas pedal and how.
    thanks,
    Jim :)
    You'll get used to it.I did.
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    More than 28 months on my wife's car with absolutely no problems. Flawless. Gas mileage is slowly improving.
    You are trying to get some action CS? I'm afraid that the KIA Optima thread is dying from lack of interest.Have you checked out this car on youtube? Or Facebook? There are some posts there.
  • bmetelskybmetelsky Posts: 10
    I have 58,000 on my 2007 Kia Optima and it continues to run like a charm! I have only had one issue to date - the serpentine belt needed to be replaced at 30,000 miles - a little soon in my estimation. I'm assuming it was a quirk. The car still looks and runs great!
  • aruba531aruba531 Posts: 11
    Just last week I had to get my serpentine belt replaced on my 2007 Kia Optima too. I had 29,000 miles on mine. I got the 100,000 mile warranty and it wasn't covered. Said it was one of those maintenance items. I was so mad, I had my husband change it for me. Also other problems I had was getting my directional fixed. Right after I bought the car that went, but was covered, but it was a pain losing the car for a couple of days. 1st time when I brought it in, they had to order the part so I ended up losing the car for the whole day till they decided to tell me that and then had to do it all over again the next time. This week my front tire keeps losing pressure. Found out nail was in the side wall. I know this isn't Kia's problem, but I haven't had much luck lately. Also found a dead bird in my grill. Must be an omen. haha
    It's been a great car. The only thing I don't like is the automatic transmission changing too quick. I'll say the 2.4 has a lot of power! I've never driven a 4 banger like this one before. But it seems like a lot of power for the transmission to take.

Overall this is one of the best cars I've ever owned.. And that 5th gear slows those RPMs on interstate. I'll be doing 80 before I know it. The cruise control is a nice feature and a needed one to keep from getting tickets. It's a smooth car on the open road. Friends that have driven it swear to God it's a 6 cylinder... It's also the quietest 4 cylinder I've ever had when its idling. It's a nice ride to be an economy, cheaper brand. I get lots of "what is that?" at work. The headlights and overall look gives it an uprate look. :blush:
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    I agree that the transmission hunts between gears. I usually shove it into manual mode in fifth on long trips. This increases gas mileage.
  • jimrichjimrich Posts: 4
    I am getting a lot of specific info to flush my '07 2.4 optima transmission. When I look at info in Kia tech web page, there are a lot of details missing.
    For example, I just bought a filter for my trans which mounts outside like an engine oil filter but see nothing like that at the Kia Tech page (?). I haven't looked under the car yet to see if there is such an external filter.

My question is which is the return line to the trans cooler?
    Have any of you flushed an '07 optima trans? If so, can you offer any special info about problems or details on doing a flush?
    thanks
    jim :)
  • rfeltrfelt Posts: 1
    I am thinking of buying a 2008 model KIA optima, but not sure. Is it a good car? Are the any problems I should know about? Is the quality good?
    The only significant problem I have with the 2008 Optima is that important safety features--ABS and ESC--are optional and almost impossible to find, especially on the I4 cars. And I think the I4 is a much better buy than the weak V6, which has higher maintenance costs (timing belt vs. chain, harder to replace spark plugs etc.) than the I4. If the lack of ABS and ESC doesn't bother you, you can find great deals on the 2008 Optima, either as a new close-out (may still be a few left) or a slightly used car.
    I have a 2006.5 Optima EX and the only difference is that mine has a tape deck in additional to the 6 disk CD changer.I have K on it and I still love it.No problems.You might get a better deal on a 2007,and it is essentially the same car.I agree with the other poster that the 2.4 engine is by far the better option.
    I would definitely recommend this car to anyone,even friends and family members.
    Keep in touch to let us know your impressions if you get an Optima.
    Backy ole chum,no offense,but how can you have a problem with something that you don't have?(scratching head)Many EX models with I4 engines have those features,don't you agree? Mine certainly does.
    I can have a "problem" in the fact I would probably own an Optima now would it not be for the hard-to-find ABS and ESC before 2009 MY. And when I was looking high and low for an Optima, new or used, with ABS/ESC I found ONE (EX) I4 model within a 500 mile radius of me (actually it was about 400 miles away, in Schaumburg) in a six-month period. I also found one used 2007 EX I4, but it was sold before I could get to it. I wouldn't call that "many."