Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Optima 2006.5-2008

Comments

• csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    The Michelins alone would pay for a large chunk of that thousand dollars. For my part, the major advantage is the very nice instrumentation upgrade.
  • I am dumping a 2002 Mercury Sable LS that is a P.O.S. nothing but problems with "check engine light" gremlins now costing me over $1,000. to fix and it came back on today. I am looking at a 2006.5 Optima EX V-6 loaded (supposedly it belonged to a family member of the dearship's owner) w/15K miles. I drove the car today and it performs well and seems to be very well built and super clean. I can trade in my POS (above) and walk out paying $12,382.77 which equates to about $240.00 a month for 48 months at my credit union. This is an easy payment to live with, however will I still be happy with this Optima three or four years from now?? What about this timing belt replacement?? That kind of scares me. I recently retired and while a new Accord or loaded Sonata would be nice they are getting big big $$ for them.
    You Optima owners seem to be very happy w/these cars. All I read here says "do it". What do you owners think???
  • I am dumping a 2002 Mercury Sable LS that is a P.O.S. nothing but problems with "check engine light" gremlins now costing me over $1,000. to fix and it came back on today. I am looking at a 2006.5 Optima EX V-6 loaded (supposedly it belonged to a family member of the dearship's owner) w/15K miles. I drove the car today and it performs well and seems to be very well built and super clean. I can trade in my POS (above) and walk out paying $12,382.77 which equates to about $240.00 a month for 48 months at my credit union. This is an easy payment to live with, however will I still be happy with this Optima three or four years from now?? What about this timing belt replacement?? That kind of scares me. I recently retired and while a new Accord or loaded Sonata would be nice they are getting big big $$ for them.
    You Optima owners seem to be very happy w/these cars. All I read here says "do it". What do you owners think???
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,681
    Is ABS/ESC standard on the EX now for 2008? It used to be optional on the EX as well.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Posts: 936
    It is optional on all Optimas,but I do believe it is standard on the Sonatas. I didnt mean to imply that it was standard,just that it was available and not hard to find.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,681
    Maybe not as hard to find on the EX as the LX. When I checked a couple of months ago, there were two LXs with ABS/ESC available in a five-state region.
    OK...I checked the dealer's where I bought mine inventory (Lujack in Davenport IA),and all of the 2007 EX had the ESC/ABS option and the only 2 2008 Optimas they had were LX and one had the ABS/ESC and the other did not.
  • So I just bought a 2007 Optima EX V6 yesterday...here are the specifics:

2007 Optima EX V6, Deep Ocean Blue
    Appearance Package
    Power/Tilt Sunroof

$21,989 out the door, including TTL in Southern California

Plus $500 trade, $500 competitive model rebate

$20,989 financed.

I purchased from Citrus Motors in Ontario, CA, and they were great. If you're in the southern California area, go give them a shot, and ask for Mike. He was no pressure, worked the best deal he could, and was an all-around nice guy.

As of day 2, I'm completely and fully happy with the vehicle, and can't wait to continue to drive it for years to come.
    Welcome to KIAworld.Don't forget to change your timing belt at 60,000 miles.
    On prices paid, it's more comparative to ignore TTL since states vary so much in how they treat this. In Missouri, for instance, sales taxes is paid to the city of residence, not the dealer location and is delayed by up to 30 days from the sale date. Some states charge extra for plates and others such as Missouri have plates that transfer from car to car. Some states don't have sales tax. California (at least when I was in the market) was dirt cheap for Kias, so I'm sure you got a good deal. My 07 LX with appearance group and add on leather cost $16,100 but I had to add about 8% sales tax to that total.
    Have a 2007 Mazda 6 for two days as a rental. Someone backed into Kia (their fault, my engine was off). No sheet metal damage whatsoever but the bumper cover had to be repainted. I'll save my final review until I turn it in, but so far the Kia seems quite a bit better in NVH and fit and finish. I can't believe this given the 6's handling reputation but the Kia seems better in that department too. Of course the Mazda has 25,000 miles of what is probably abusive driving.

I'll post my final review in the midsized comparo and wait for the taunts of the Korea haters.
    I haven't taken a close look at the dealer yet. When you were there were any 08's on the lot? Surprisingly no 08 Optimas have been reviewed yet. Biggest change is improved instrumentation, hopefully that means the DIC shortcomings (no MPG, right mickeyrom?) have been corrected.
    Let the abuse from Korea haters begin...

I actually own both an 07 Optima and an 05 Malibu Maxx. The Optima got rammed while parked. Damage was minimal but I got a two day rental on an 07 Mazda 6.

Although the Mazda was tighter handling than my Maxx (which I still prefer to both cars, all things including utility and comfort considered), it was not better than the Optima. Both had the same Michelin 17 inch tires. The Mazda looked like about 70% of the way to wear out at slightly more than 20,000 miles. Ouch.

NVH and internal fit and finish were better on the Optima. Maybe I'm too old to appreciate zoom zoom zoom. The Mazda 6 was less comfortable than the Optima, especially in the lumbar region. Instrumentation (if you like red, I guess you like red) was not up with the semi-electroluminescent panel of my appearance pack LS. The Mazda did have more thigh support (longer seat), a short coming of the Optima. I didn't like the additional seat bolstering, probably because my fat [non-permissible content removed] was too wide.

I've criticized the Kia for having a crippled DIC compared to my Maxx (no MPG for example--probably corrected in 08), but the Mazda had nothing but outside temperature and two trip odometers. Hopefully the new one will catch up.

I'm not a Mazda hater. I loved my 01 Elantra but could see that the 3 was clearly a better car. Not so with the 6 v. the Optima.

Both the Milan and Fusion were on my short list when I bought the Optima. Frankly both interiors were less polished than the Optima but the cars were more satisfying than the 6 and would have been the equal to the Kia with the exception of engine power and price. I think both handled slightly better than the Optima. Not so the 6 which was slightly more compliant (surprise, earlier Korean cars I bought were softer-- probably the tires). The Mazda traded the better over bumps feel for poorer on-center handling.

Maybe it was 20,000 miles of rental car abuse and maybe it's just that the 6 is more than ready for an update. I've read that Mazda has among the lowest rates of brand retention, IMHO it's because the 3 is clearly the better vehicle than the 6 and drivers take off for more refined hot handling brands.

Unlike the (probably) last 20 renters, I didn't abuse the car and have no idea whether or not the 6 would be better on the skid pad; my preferences were based on normal around town and interstate driving.
  • Your computer has MPG on it Dave???? My 2006.5 Opti EX does not.How can that be? :confuse:
    Mine neither. That has been Mickeyrom and my biggest complaint.
  • Atlanta paper lists two 2007's with Auto transmission for 12,995. I checked it out at the dealer and they will offer the price but will not give me what I want for the trade. Anyone seen a better price for a 2007 LX brand new with Auto transmission? There
    seems to be a number of them at the Atlanta dealers. I am going to list me car my car on my own and then go back to a dealer.
    Bruce
  • I paid $21,000 for mine a year ago. Sounds like a great price...
  • You better buy one,that is less than a used 2007.
  • gy563gy563 Posts: 44
    I just bought 2007 Optima EX Ocean Blue with Appearance Package and sunroof on Feb 22nd!
    Car Price = $18,200 +Tag, Tax etc= 20,544 out the door! (No trade, No competitive Bonus, just dealer deal and $2,500 rebate. Paid Cash)
    I think I got great deal!
    The dealer only had one 2007 EX with Appearance Package and was willing to sell it and bring 2008s the whole process took about 2~3hrs (dealing and purchasing).

since it's my first car I would really appreciate any advice as I'm new to owning cars!
  • Looks like mine except for the color(black) the 17" rims and the duals.(that looks sooooo cool) He absolutely stole it. I am green with envy,although I am happy with my 4 cyl because of the dreaded 2.7 timing belt.