Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Shelby GT500

07shelby107shelby1 Posts: 1
I was wondering if there was going to be aconvertible for the 2007 Shelby Cobra GT500? I contacted my local SVT dealer and they said that there was not going to be intentional. I don't believe that thou. If you have any information about if there will be a convertible for the cobra or not. I was also wondering when will Ford will let you start ordering the new cobra. If you have any information on these two subjects please reply.

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,850
    You can read about the 2007 Ford Shelby Corbra GT500 on InsideLine - this is a great discussion for our Future Vehicles board, so I'm moving it there.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• xkssxkss Posts: 722
    This car is going to own so many other cars it is hilarious!!! :) :)
  • xkssxkss Posts: 722
    The GT500 will change slightly from the car shown at the 2005 New York auto show.

The side mirrors should be painted the same color as the car, imo.

The hood vents should be left as they were on the show car.

• hi ..........i talked to a ford manager at team ford marriette ga today !according to him a con.model shelby will be offered ,he said they will be getting ordering information on the shelby mustangs in late feb. or early march.......and taking orders....est production is 11000units,but ford may opt to build less, maybe arount,6000to 5000 hope this info helps........cobra/steve privett
  • dhamiltondhamilton Posts: 873
    Anyone know if the GT500 will be at the Houston auto show at the end of the month?
  • flasvtflasvt Posts: 64
    Inside Line's overview of the 2007 GT 500 Convertible shows a picture of the Interior with a caption that reads "Nothing changes in the interior other than the installation of a six-speed shifter. ".

Well, Inside Line may want to reconsider this statement. Plenty is new in the interior. The instrument panel as whole different graphics and the tach swaps position with the speedometer. The steering wheel significantly altered and now is contoured and the black out trim is metallic not plastic as in the black trim of the lower versions. The interior feels the best of all Mustangs so far.

• bri66bri66 Posts: 220
    Has anyone heard anything about the sticker price of what one of these will sell for? :confuse:
  • flasvtflasvt Posts: 64
    Road & Track reported $44K for the convertible. Hardtop should be around the high 30Ks.
    Boy that wouldn't be bad at all. The new 8 cylinder GT Mustangs are going for $30k now aren't they? If they keep them under $40k i'll take mine in Tahoe Turquoise. HA! HA! :D
    I guess I can forget ordering one where dealerships are tacking on $25,000 to $30,000 over sticker price. I wonder if that happened back in the late 60's early 70's? Oh well, hope they choke on em. :cry:
  • robsm1robsm1 Posts: 4
    I'm hoping to find photos of the other colors of the 2007 GT500 especially the Alloy Clearcoat. Also where were the smart ones when Ford gave the option of silver stripes on tungsten grey cars for a awesome car what a dull color combo, what a shame you can't order silver with black strips or white stripes. :confuse:
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    anyone know when this car will hit showrooms??
    Dealers started ordering them yesterday 3/14/07 they should be showing up on dealers floors June-July hope this helps.
  • Who said Dealers are asking $25-$30 large over MSRP for the 2007 Shelby? Dealers don't even have pricing on the vehicle, or estimated production allocation. If you saw the $25-$30 large over MSRP on eBay, please note they dropped off the radar screen on Monday, March 13, when Ford Dealers received their ordering guide. These bandits with black masks always appear when any new car that's hot is going to come out - then they disappear just as fast as they appeared. Anyone who would pay that over MSRP deserves to get shafted. Get real out there!
    My March 2006 edition of Mustang Monthly on page 8 mentions a dealership in Maryland that will be receiving six 2007 Shelby's and for $1000 refundable you can have your name placed on their waiting list. The terms of their offer is that no matter what the sticker price is they are adding $25,000 to the sticker price. In addition I have done some searching where in the past few weeks there have been several Ford dealerships listing their expected delivery count on E-Bay. What their terms are is selling to the highest bidders over the sticker price and I have seen several of these auctions going for more than $30,000 over the MSRP stickers. These 10,000 Shelby's are only available to dealerships and not to the general consumer who wants to buy one. These dealerships are going to get as much as they can for these limited number of Shelby's. It's a free country and they are allowed to get what they can, consumers will set market prices. Shame on Ford for limiting the low number of Shelby's that will be available. If you can find a Ford dealership that will take an order and guarantee delivery of the actual sticker price could you please post the name of that dealership here at Edmunds because I want to buy one. Thanks ;)
    I just wanted to follow up on my last post. I just spoke to the sales manager of a larger Ford dealership in my area south of Boston and he claims that Ford as of today has not provided any ordering information as of yet. He claims that based on his dealerships sales and inventory he is hoping to get 2 or 3 Shelby's. He claimed the information I received of a 10,000 build unit is not a confirmed number and that he claims speaking to his regional people that that number will be much lower than 10,000 total units. He claimed that several people have inquired ordering information for them and he guaranteed his units if and when he receives them will not sell for sticker. I asked him for an honest reasonable figure that he intends to sell them for and he claimed that 10 to 15 thousand dollars over sticker would be an approximate estimate. He said it's going to be a war and he's selling his to the highest bidder. He told me to call back if I am seriously interested in a week he would gladly give me an update as soon as he hears more. He claims he's having a hard time getting a hold of just a 8 cylinder GT at this time. I did another search on E-bay and there are quite a few for sale presently. I agree with you as to anyone who would be willing to commit $30k's to anyone on E-bay deserves to be taken for a ride. These figures are pretty darn close to what these baby's are going to be sold for. For now I am going to continue to pursue one locally, but certainly I am not going to pay $10 k + for one either. I will get in my 66 Mustang and be happy for now. ;)
  • pjb53pjb53 Posts: 1
    I was at Barrett Jackson auctions last January and they were offering the first production GT500 with the proceeds going to charity. The winning bid was $600,000 plus %8 commission for a final price of $648,000. I guess you could claim that approx $600,000 was a charitable contribution and take a tax write-off. For those interested it was lot #1259.1 at the Scotsdale auction.
    Ford also had a supercharged Mustang on a dyno where people picked from the crowd could try 1/4 mile runs. If I remember correctly Ford guys had posted times of 11.9 @ 121 mph and the guy from the crowd while I was watching took three tries (missed the light, bogged down) and on his third try ran about 12.2 @ 117 mph. I'm not sure how the dyno's compare to the real world but I was impressed. From talking to the Ford guys I got the impression the GT500 would be faster.
    This comes as first hand as it can on 3/15/06 I went to my local ford dealership, looked at all the options and colors, filled out the paper work and watched as they ordered on line one of the two cars allocated to that dealer. As for price there is no MSRP yet but I agreed to pay $10,000 over dealer cost. The dealers get a set allotment according to the amount of GTs they sell annually. I hope this clears up any rumors.
    $10,000 over dealer cost is pretty good compared to most stories I've heard and read about. Plus you had the opportunity to order what you wanted. Good luck with your Shelby. :D
    Thank's bri66 I will keep my fingers crossed that everything goes well.
  • Are you saying $10,000 over dealer cost or MSRP? I ordered mine on 3-20-2006, and the salesman was talking $10,000 over MSRP. I will get my deposit back if he honestly thinks i am going to pay $10,000 over MSRP.
    Thank you
    If you ordered one how much did you expect to pay? Dealers don't pay what's on the sticker they pay invoice. The deals I've heard and seen are as high as $25,000 to $30,000 over MSRP. If you agreed to pay $10,000 over MSRP with your salesman and have one on order for you, your a lot better off than some.
  • cccompsoncccompson Posts: 2,388
    While I ordinarily blast dealers for such mark-ups over MSRP, in this case it seems to me that it's the customers who are nuts - folks who have more money than sense.
    I don't fault the dealers either. The true blame I feel needs to go more towards Ford and Shelby for hyping these cars up for close to 1 1\2 years and then setting a low production amount to be built. If I could build one at MSRP prices I would order one today, but that option is not available to me. To be paying this huge mark-up to own one is absurd. If these Shelby's were being made as the original ones were by Shelby's employee's that might be different. Where these Shelby's are being made strictly on an assembly line to me there not worth double the price. :shades:
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 20
    Come on guys.....If your going to pay over MSRP your crazy.....It's like the guy in Dublin, CA. who was trying to justify to me that spending $62,000 for a SVT 300. He told me it was on a AMG frame. So its like getting a $120,000 AMG for half price. I told him no matter how you look at it, you don't spend over MSRP or 60k on a chrysler. It took me 20mins on the internet to locate a dealer who would sell me a SVT 300 at 46k MSRP. But even that was to much to give to a salesman. Do you really want to give anyone 10k to 15k just to sell you a car? They have a big laugh as you drive away. And yes your picture goes on the wall. It will say another proud SVT owner. But thats not what the salesmen really says about the pictures on the wall.

Ford has pushed me over to waiting for a 400 hp Camero. This doesn't mean chev will not try the same tactics. It will be harder when camero's line their lot just like the mustang GT out here. Just remember chev will release their SS and it will probably be 500hp or more.

There are V8 GT out here just sitting on lots and not selling. Don't believe anything the dealer says.

Its all in the hype.........
  • sssstsssst Posts: 21
    I too have jumped ship. Been a Ford guy all my driving life until now that is. Been waiting on the Shelby since I found out about it just after I sold my 96 Cobra 4 years ago...(Dream Car White 68 Shelby GT 500 KR). With the demise of SVT so do I go banging on the GTO's door or maybe I'll hold up till the Changler get to town. It does look like Ford will be down for a while. :( :mad:
  • hardhawkhardhawk Posts: 702
    I spoke with my dealer about purchasing a new GT 500. Price will be $20,000 over MSPR with a non-refundable deposit of $15,000 required. Period, end of discussion. Good thing I don't really want one. I can get an SRT8 Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger, Dodge Magnum, or Jeep Grand Cherokee at invoice from the same dealer. It's all about what people are willing to pay. P.T. Barnum said it best, "There is one born every minute!"
  • Ford is going to build about 16,000 Shelby's. About 8,000 per year for two years only. If you think it about it, getting one for only $10k over MSRP is CHEAP! The 2005 GT Mustangs were selling for $3k - $5k over MSRP and the Convertibles were selling for $5k - $10k over MSRP. So a Shelby with such a limited production and only being built for two years and being able to get one for $10k over MSRP is a gift! There are Ford Dealers offering to buy dealers allocation on these for $20k over! A dealer paying 20k over and the public being able to get one for only $10k over??? I'd say that's a GIFT!

Here is the real scoop on how this works. Every Dealer get's at least ONE! If they sign up for it, get certification, and pay Ford the fees! The fee is $1,500 to Ford from the dealer PLUS the dealer has to buy special tools from Ford to work on this car. With MOST dealers only getting ONE of these cars, and having to pay $1,500 in fees plus buy the tools, the dealer would LOSE money at MSRP!

Every dealer that signs up, get's certified, pays Ford the $1,500 fee plus buys the required tools, will get at least ONE Shelby Mustang. Dealers that are SVT Focus dealers will get ONE for that. Dealers that are Full Line SVT Dealers will get TWO for that. Dealers that are 2005 Presidential Award wiiners will get ONE for that. Any remainder units will be divided up based on prior year sales. IF there are any remainder units left, which will be few, far and between!

So if you are a dealer and not a SVT Focus or not full line SVT and not a 2005 Presidential ward winner, you get only ONE.

Dealer plus SVT Focus dealer you get only TWO!

Dealer plus full line SVT dealer you get only THREE!

Dealer plus full line SVT dealer and 2005 Presidential Award Winner you get only FOUR!

Any remaining allocation left after that will be divided based on prior year sales. So top volumn dealers MIGHT get an extra unit. MAYBE!

Since the mark up on these from Invoice to MSRP is likely to only be about $2k which is about the same as a GT Convertible, a dealer that only gets ONE will have paid out more than that for the $1,500 FEE that it cost to enroll to get this car, plus the cost of the tools required, plus the cost of materials required by Ford to be displayed in the showrooms, ANYONE that is able to buy this for only MSRP will be one LUCKY individual! The dealer selling it for MSRP will LOSE money on the sale at that price unless they are a dealer that gets more than ONE unit to sell!!!

This is FACTUAL information here based on FORD's information provided to the dealer.

Yes, I'm a dealer!
  • BTW,

Orders are now being accepted. No pricing is available yet. Production on this car starts June 5th, 2006.

Ford is releasing both coupes and convertibles side bt side. They were going to release convertibles about six months later after the coupe, but decided to put both out at the same time.

Also, the coupe will have racing stripes over the top and on the side. Convertibles will NOT have over the top stripes and on the side only.

You can have the option to delete the stripes if you choose.

We are a dealer. We will get two. They are both sold! We turned down $20k over MSRP from another Ford Dealer to buy our allocation! We sold ours at MSRP plus $750 over on each to cover the $1,500 fee charged buy Ford to enroll to get this car!

A lot of these will sell for $75k. Anything less than that is going to be a good deal! Whether you like it or not, they will sell out at a premium because there are more buyers for this car than there are cars being built to meet the supply and demand.

Also remember one important thing. The dealers do not set the pricing on these. YOU, THE PUBLIC DOES! If NO ONE was willing to pay a premium the dealers would have no choice but to sell them for less. But is YOU the general public, that sets the pricing on these based on supply and demand and the willingness to pay the extra money to get one!
  • You will get your deposit back if they are selling it to you for $10k over MSRP, but you gladly agreed to $10k over dealer cost???

And just how much do you think dealer cost is in relation to MSRP??? Dude, you're talking about $2k from cost to MSRP! So you are saying you'll pay $10k over cost but not MSRP and will get your deposit back over a measly $2k difference between cost and MSRP??? LOL