Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Shelby GT500

Comments

• bri66bri66 Posts: 220
    Has anyone bought a die-cast 07 GT500? I just received mine today and was amazed as to how close in detail it is. Anyone looking for one to buy, check out the Hot Wheels version. Happy New Year. :shades:
  • Yes, I have several in each color. I got the ones by Carroll Shelby and the Hotwheels Elite. Auto Art has some out and Hotwheels has some out you can buy for about $22.

The Auto Art runs about $70 and the Carroll Shelby editions run about $32.

Also check out the Eleanor by Carroll Shelby. Very nice!

The one flaw I did notice is that all of the Carroll Shelby models have the red inserts in the seats even on the colors that the red inserts are not available on. Some of the colors only come in the dark charcoal.
  • 7shlby7shlby Posts: 9
    From Thursday Jan 4th to Monday the 8th my wife and myself drove our GT 500 from Ky to Ocala, Fl and return. Went to the Natonal Parts Depot Ford Roundup at Silver Springs. Great show! Almost 2000 Fords of every make and kind. There were 11 GT 500's including mine. We put a little over 2000 miles on our car in the 5 day trip. some two lane but mostly interstate at 75 to 80 mph. Averaged 19 to 20 mpg.
    This car rides excellent, seats are very comfortable on the long haul, quiet except for some road noise on rough concrete pavement. If you guys (gals) get a chance to take a trip such as this, you won't be disappointed. I have owned my car since August 5 and had 1700 miles on it when we left. At this point I have no complaints with this car at all. I have owned and resored old Mustangs for several years and made no mistake in purchasing this car.
  • I was told my order was to start production on 11JAN07. Anyone have any idea how long until I get the call that it's ready for pickup? I got the call from a dealership back in October that an order slot opened up; I wrote my check out so fast I singed my fingers; been waiting patiently. I don't know whether to believe my wait will only be ~4/5 months, when I've been reading stories of 18 mo./+ wait... I also feel "lucky" the dealership is only gouging me $20K over MSRP...
  • I'm hearing blind spot is an issue. True?
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Its only a problem if someone is going fast enough to be in your blind spot duh.

If someone is in your blind spot in this car, you don't deserve to be driving it. :P

Mark.
    ........I also feel "lucky" the dealership is only gouging me $20K over MSRP...

Wow you don't see too many people admit to that. Everyone that you speak to claims they got theirs either at or below invoice. My Shelby was purchased by my wife as a gift to me and she too paid an extremely high premium. You know I don't feel too bad though because Kelly Blue Book has the 2007 GT 500 true value at just under what my wife paid $63K. I look at it as an investment for my kids future benefit, and why shouldn't I enjoy my kids inheritance. HA! HA! My Shelby was born on August 30th and I took delivery on Sep 29th. If yours is scheduled to be built Jan 11th then you should see it by mid to the very latest end of February. You will be more than satisfied once you get the first glimpse of her. You will forget all about the waiting and fall in love the second you see her. Although I didn't want to pay the premium either after having her now since September I can easily say I would pay double what my wife paid to buy her today. What's really cool too is now I have Mr. Shelby's autograph on the air filter cover, making it all that much more special to me. :shades:
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,741
    There is no way dealers are selling those at or below invoice. MSRP - maybe, but probably not. Dealers aren't stupid.
  • My brother in law works at a Ford dealership up in Dallas and he tells me $25K over is "routine" if you go through dealer. There are a couple on E-Bay for less, but I didn't want someone else's 'hand-me-down'. Got the options I wanted- albeit few to choose from- so I'm living with overall purchase price of $65K. First time I've ever overpaid for anything in my life. Forget future kid's benefit (of course my kid is named "Shelby"), this car is all for ME. I'm gonna burn the tires off that pony in the first month and if my husband is lucky, may let him drive it, too! Have a Valentine One to sniff out the jellys, just hope it can keep up with me. Thanks for info, hopefully wait is almost over. P.S. You'd better hang on to that wife of yours, most women don't even know what a Shelby is. Any other wife would have bought you a minivan! LOL
  • That's the date they were to start production on it. Dealer is to check next week to make sure they did, in fact, start on it. I sure hope so, spring is coming and I feel a roadtrip coming on...
  • Anyone else out there have an INTELLIGENT response to my question? I don't live in a forty-mile town, there are actually intersections where I live.
    Every car has blind spots. It shouldn't be any worse than a regular mustang, so go sit in one and check it out yourself. I can't imagine it being a big problem.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    I have an '05 GT Premium. Yes, the blindspot is bad if you're at one of those odd-angle intersections. Otherwise, it's not that big of a deal. Proper mirror adjustment and knowing where/how to look over your shoulder will cover the rest.
  • Thanks, you responders. I feel better. I rely heavily on my mirrors when I'm opened up, typically going too fast to take chance on looking over my shoulder. But intersections, I'll be slow enough to do a quick check.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Seriously, I find my mustang to have less of a blind spot because there is no B pillar.

Mark.
  • After checking the mirror, you should always look over your shoulder. This is one of the basics I learned when learning to drive.
  • Anyone paying 25K over MSRP for a Mustang has to be nuts. For that kind of money you can buy a real sports car (Corvette).
  • Huh???

A vette??? Vettes are a dime a dozen, produced year after year after year....

The Shelby GT500 is only being built for two years and that's it! Much more collectable.

I had the pleasure of running against several vettes so far and dusted everyone one of them!!! And you call that a real sports car, moron?

Sounds to me like you really wanted a Shelby but just can't afford one!
  • Ford dealers in my area want 10K over MSRP to contract for a 2008 GT500. I have counter-offered with 5K, but no takers. Should I remain patient in anticipation that one will call back in a few months in agreement or will I have lost my "window of opportunity"?
    I understand Franklin Mint is selling a very nice 2007 GT 500 for just a little over $100. ;)
  • Oh I see. You don't want to drive it. You just want to store it in your garage for 40 years and then sell it. :)
    I have an 05 Mustang and it's the best one I've ever owned but I don't like the idea of all the weight they have gained. I rember the first Mustangs (65) were about 2600 pounds and about $2600. A dollar a pound sounds reasonable. :) The Shelbys are getting very close to 4000 lbs!? I remember when that kind of weight only belonged to Oldsmobiles and Cadillacs. :surprise:
    No we like to drive our cars and we enjoy talking to one another and sharing our experiences about ownership. If you would like to join our group and discuss your pleasures and displeasures about your Mustang or about the premiums being charged I welcome you aboard. If you would rather not share your thoughts and call us stupid for paying premiums we are not going to talk with you. My name is Brian and I own two Mustangs. A 1966 coupe and a 2007 GT 500 Shelby. Both my Mustangs can be seen in my album here at Edmunds. I hope you enjoy the pictures and again I welcome you to our forum. :shades:
    That's a call you have to make. My wife paid 20K over sticker, so if you have a chance to get one at 10K over that doesn't sound bad. Most on eBay from what I can tell are selling anywhere from 10 to 20K over stickers, but if you wait, you might do better. One thing to think about is is this dealer a local dealer that wants 10K or is it a dealer you may never go back to for service? If it's a Shelby you want but don't want to pay too much how bout checking on buying one of the Mustang GT Shelby's being finished in Las Vegas. They don't have the label GT 500 but they do have the Shelby insignia and I do believe they don't cost as much. Good luck.
  • Hmm. I don't recall calling anybody stupid. Where did that happen? If you can't take a little friendly ribbing then I guess I'll have to try to avoid you. Untill last week I owned a C5 corvette and my '05 Mustang. I sold the Corvette because it was mostly sitting in the garage gathering dust. My Mustang is a 6 cyl and honestly the Corvette got slightly better gas milage in spite of the extra hp. I guess I'm not impressed with the Shelby. Paying 10-25k over invoice will certainly help the Legend grow. I just read an article about somebody else who took a standard Mustang V8 and added a blower/suspension and a few other things and outperformed the Shelby for a lot less money. Shelby certainly earned a reputation but seems nowdays it's just hype by adding his name to the car. I will be curious to see if the '07 Shelby brings big money at the auctions in 40 years. I'm sure I will not be around then (I'm 66 now). I know most Mustang guys are really hard core so I just figured I'd stir the pot a little and see who jumped up on the bandwagon. Sorry but I love both the Mustang and the Corvette. I fell in love with the Corvette in 1961 when one could be had for about $3800. I immediately liked the Mustang when it came out in '65. It was almost like a poor man's Corvette. I mean it was lean and mean on the street. It was about the time the muscle car fad started at least in my neighborhood. Sorry I got to rambling on. Enjoy your Shelby. They are hot.
    Post #275 .......Anyone paying 25K over MSRP for a Mustang has to be NUTS. For that kind of money you can buy a real sports car (Corvette).

Post #282 .......I don't recall calling anyone stupid. Where did that happen? If you can't take a little bit of friendly ribbing then I guess I'll have to try to avoid you.

Post #283 Franklin Mint is offering a very nice GT 500 Shelby for $100 for people who want a real one but can't afford one. Good luck with your 05 Mustang. :shades:
  • Hmm. I never thought of Nuts as "stupid". It's more like "crazy". But since you have so much money it's not crazy its just eccentric. Rich people are like that.
    About the Franklin Mint, how about sending me one of those GT500s. I'm too poor to buy one myself. Us old retired folks living here in Florida are having a rough time lately. Yes I'll need some luck with my Mustang. You know FORD (Fix Or Repair Daily). I don't wish I had one of those Shelby Mustangs but I do wish I could afford to buy gas for one.
    Regards,
    Moronix (Moron for short)
  • Well as long as you stay away from the Z06 you'll do fine.
    Hmmm. Lets see now. Mustang 500hp/3920lbs vs Corvette 505hp/3180lbs. Make sure you let the other guy know he's in a race.
  • Z06 470 lb-ft torque VS Shelby 480 lb-ft torque.

Bye bye ZO6.

seeeeeeeeeyaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!
    You don't honestly think that 10 lb/ft of torque will make up for an extra 740 lbs, do you?
  • Yes I do!

Over all we are talking about 1 lb of weight per every lb of torgue difference.

It will also depend on drivers.

Also, with minor modification you can more than make up the difference for weight, HP and torque.