Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru B9 Tribeca: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• photoguy2photoguy2 Posts: 164
    Consistantly getting 23-24 on the highway in PA. This is all highway. If I go off the highway and into a city the numbers start to fall fast. My total combined Average fuel according to the NAV display is 20.7 for over 7,000 miles. I'd say 70% highway and 20% city.
  • nine51nine51 Posts: 78
    <<I usually use a synthetic blend. you save a few $$ and get 80% of the benefit of synthetic.>>

At the risk of beating a dead horse from another topic, I don't believe that is true. Blends are a waste of $$. Particularly if you have a turbocharger, the blend will not give you the protection against cokeing of the dino oil in the turbo bearings. If you are going to use a blend, you might as well save more $$ and just use straight dino oil. Only synthetic has the high temperature propertys to prevent the oil from cokeing in that high temp environment and scoring the turbo bearings. Now, if you don't have a turbo, and trade your car every 100K miles, it probably doesn't make a difference unless you live in a cold climate. Then the full synthetic is also superior. The dino oil blend will not flow as well as the synthetic and does not improve cold start lubrication.
  • wvroadswvroads Posts: 23
    This is a copy of a post I put on the main forum:

I didn't bookmark the new thread on "problems and/or troubles" and I would like to keep up with any issues others are having.

My airbag light went on over three weeks ago and it will be 3 weeks tomorrow since my dealer said it was the airbag module and that they will call when it is in. Well, I am still waiting. They said it was on backorder and that SOA didn't expect any failures so soon. At least it is still drivable, but maybe not so safe???? I am concerned that Subaru is unable to support the Tribecas that have been sold.

Anything similar happened to anyone?

Dave
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Posts: 648
    well I picked up my B9 after 1 week in the shop to get the door edges repainted and all the accessories installed (roof rack, bug guard, mudflaps, and tow hitch with oil cooler)...

the error i saw on the odometer area "Err HC" is tied to some error in the CAM timing! but it hasn't shown since. So Subaru said it should be OK to drive... The problem is they need a different computer to read the B9 Computer. its a totally different system then the other Subaru engines. so I will take it back in a week or so when they get their new diagnostic computer for the Tribecas (sigh...)
  • wvroadswvroads Posts: 23
    I had to wait 2 weeks for my dealer to get the software module to be able to get my "tire pressure" light off after they swapped out a tire and wheel from another new vehicle because of a tire problem on mine (couldn't get a tire locally).

Now I have been waiting 3 weeks for the airbag module to come in.

When I bought the Tribeca this was a concern that I had - parts availability, tech ability,programming support, etc. It has happened to me twice in 2 months. At least I have been able to continue to drive my B9.

Worst case scenario - you are out of town and a part fails that renders the vehicle undrivable? Leave it there, fly home and come back in a month or so???? So far I am not impressed with SOA's support for a newly introduced vehicle.

Couldn't they have pulled an airbag module off the assembly line in Indiana?
  • Couldn't they have pulled an airbag module off the assembly line in Indiana?

I know it is frustrating but if you were ever involved with a sophisticated manufacturing operation like a auto factory, you would find that pulling parts from the line would cause total chaos & totally disrupt schedules & quality.

If you do it once, then it can be done again. Where do they draw the line.

Having said that: If it was my car that needed the part - I would approve pulling that part. :-)
  • cptpltcptplt Posts: 1,075
    getting 20-21mpg in the chicago burbs
  • Getting 16 in urban Chicago
  • kmartinkmartin Posts: 427
    I'm getting 16.8 in suburban Phoenix, but easily 23-24 on Hwy.

-Karen in AZ-
  • Karen

With your highway mileage - what kind of speeds do you average?

At steady highway speeds I get about 21 - but I also avergae 75 mph on surburban Chicago highways.
  • When I've gotten 24 MPG I was driving 65-75. I'd say mostly around 70.
  • CD Changer is jammed. With six cds loaded it now gives me a "mechan error" message with any attempt to eject or play. Dread having to have console ripped apart. Can any audiophiles out there suggest a solution that would not require the dealer to tear into the dash? Anyone else had this happen? Thanks.
  • kmartinkmartin Posts: 427
    When I've gotten 24 MPG I was driving 65-75. I'd say mostly around 70.

Same here... -Karen-
  • Just drove from Chicago to Minneapolis running premium - speed 75 to 80 undulating hilly roads and got just under 21 mpg.

Does that sound normal given the facts?
  • I think the mileage thread probably belongs in the main B9 forum not the problems forum. :confuse:
  • No one has post anything here for awhile.. I guess that's a good thing...
    Anyway, the headlights project a really sharp edge on top. In my car, the right headlight project a line that is lower than the left. Does anyone has the same issue?
  • headlight straight across on my car .... there is one area where it is higher on each light pattern but they match up when the lights are on. I see this on the garage door when I pull in ....
  • Maybe someone on the forum has some advice since Subaru doesn't. I wrote a snail mail letter to Subaru of America about the fact that I can't seem to get XM radio installed in my car. (I don't have the navigation system or DVD.) Here was their response:

---- ---- ----

Thank you for visiting the Subaru Web site and congratulations on the
    purchase of your 2006 B9 Tribeca. We wish you many happy, reliable, safe
    years with it!

We are not aware of any method to use your XM Radio with the stereo system
    in your new Tribeca.

While I cannot state that we will definitely offer this feature on future
    models, I can advise that we are researching our options for this concern. I
    am not aware if this feature will be able to be retrofitted into your 2006
    Tribeca. My thoughts would be that it would not, since so much work goes
    into development for current model vehicles' accessories/parts, we generally
    do not design parts and accessories for previous model year vehicles.

Your comments will be noted in our Customer/Dealer Services database. We use
    such information to track the performance of our products with the
    intentions of improving upon them. We will also forward your message to our
    Product Planning Department for their review and consideration.
  • As far as I know there is no easy or reliable way (i.e. w/o using FM transimiter) to connect any external audio source without factory DVD system.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    FM transmitter or maybe one of those in-line antennaes that some Legacy owners have tried. You'd still have a wire poking out of the dash, and you'd have the open the dash up to access the back of the radio where the antennae plugs in.

-juice
  • Shut the Tribeca off and the orange headlights and rear-upper taillights remained on. Checked everything and can't get them to turn off. Outside of disconnecting the battery, any suggestions?
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    I think you got this answered elsewhere, but there is a switch on the top of the steering column that will turn just the parking lights on/off without the key in the ignition. Standard Subaru 'quirk'.

-Brian
  • dell128dell128 Posts: 11
    This quirk has already struck twice on me. I wonder how much I am shortening the life of the battery and at what point would I have a dead battery. Just some bell/chime when you open the door would help. I'm thinking that trying to reset the trip meter is a contributor.

Doug
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    you'll figure it out soon enough and not accidentally trigger it. I can only think of one time in the 5 years of Subaru ownership that I've triggered the switch accidentally. Not that I have used this feature much at all though...

-Brian
  • foxbat121foxbat121 Posts: 211
    Every first time Subaru owner will encounter this sooner or later :) I was almost freaked out when I can't turn the parking light off on my first Subaru a few years back. Subaru should put instructions in bold letters on first page of the manual.
  • naclnacl Posts: 3
    Also in AZ I get an all time MPG of 19.2 runs in the mid 20's on highway.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Probably because you have to crank the A/C all the time.

But it's a dry heat. :)

-juice
  • dorrdorr Posts: 4
    Today on my drive home from work, minding my own business cruise set at 65 mph - suddenly my cruise goes out. I look look down at the dash, my check engine light is on, cruise control light is flashing, and the traction control disabled light is on. Called Subaru - of course the first question is did you buy it here, well no you guys wouldn't deal...but that's a different story...Subaru tells me it's probably a wheel sensor, okay to continue to drive it, and I've scheduled to take it in on Monday.

I love my Tribeca, however I was hoping to go a little longer before it started to break. Purchased in July - now has 5,025 miles on it...this is two quick to have problems. I guess the bright note is that my engine isn't blown (sorry Sheila, couldn't resist).

The last new model I bought was a 99 Honday Odyssey - drove it until July, had 160,000 miles when I traded it, and outside of a few emissions problems it was a perfect vehicle. Hoping the Subaru proves to be the same.

-David
  • anyone experience a squeak in the front dash area passenger side. above the glovebox area but toward the window more ? I removed all the stuff out of the glove box but still hear a squeak when I hit a quick bump where only the front right tire hits the bump separate from the other 3 wheels.

taking to the dealer on Saturday. but wondered if anyone else had the problem before.
  • nope.. haven't notice anything.
This discussion has been closed.