Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru B9 Tribeca: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I'd suspect the PS Pump also. I'm sure they'll test it before handing it back, just take it on a couple of short trips when you get it back. If it's fine, I say don't worry, be happy.

cue Bobby McFerrin

Ooo, ooooo
    Don't worry
    Oooooo
    Be Happy
    OOOOO
    Don't worry be happy now!
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Posts: 648
    nope I have one free oil change from the dealer. they have the car right now and my accessories came in (yeah).

but after that I usually use a synthetic blend. you save a few $$ and get 80% of the benefit of synthetic. I use that in my turbo motorycle and thats 300 hp ! pure synthetic to me is not worth the extra $$. there is a difference between standard oil and syth blend. also I change my oil every 3k miles anyway.
  • jerrys2jerrys2 Posts: 181
    interesting ... makes good sense to me, but I think I will do the 100% synthetic and change 5k to 6k. Lets compare notes 5 years from now and see what worked best.

Incidently, Subaru owners are supposed to have mountain bikes not motorcycles (bad for the enviorment) but that is fine with me because I don't fit the sterotype myself ... actually don't even come close, even after 4 Subarus.

Enjoy your Tribeca !

Jerry
  • photoguy2photoguy2 Posts: 164
    but I think I will do the 100% synthetic and change 5k to 6k.

I asked my dealership if I could bring in my own oil as I can get a good price at Costco on case qty's. They said fine and will only charge labor and filter cost.

Question, which grade should I purchase? Costco has Mobil 1 5W-30 or 10W-30
    I plan to use Mobil 1 5W-30. That is what came in my '03 Saab and I have used it ever since. You could use 10W-30 in the summer I suppose, but 5W-30 has worked well year round for me. I hasten to add I am no expert so someone else may have further thoughts.

Jerry
  • foxbat121foxbat121 Posts: 211
    Manual says 5W-30.
    the first number is the initial viscosity so 5W is better on startup and the second is the viscosity after warm up ... so best is 5W-50 if the B9 is approved for 5W50. but I would use 5W30 over 10W30 or 10W40
    well it looks like Subaru was familiar what the display "Err HC" but thinks there should have been more to the code then just "Err HC" I dont remember anything else showing up ... hmmm so they still dont know exactly what it means. this code was shown right were you normally see your Odometer. They manual for the B9 mentions something about this area sometimes showing Err 00 but not Err HC...

well hopefully find out Monday when I get my B9 back and I am out of the loaner Jeep they gave me to use.
  • mhaymhay Posts: 2
    Is anyone getting good gas mileage?
    The best I have gotten so far is 17.7 on the highway.
    17 - 18.9 some city and highway, not much stop and go around Spring field, Ma
    :)

Jerry
  • photoguy2photoguy2 Posts: 164
    Consistantly getting 23-24 on the highway in PA. This is all highway. If I go off the highway and into a city the numbers start to fall fast. My total combined Average fuel according to the NAV display is 20.7 for over 7,000 miles. I'd say 70% highway and 20% city.
  • nine51nine51 Posts: 78
    <<I usually use a synthetic blend. you save a few $$ and get 80% of the benefit of synthetic.>>

At the risk of beating a dead horse from another topic, I don't believe that is true. Blends are a waste of $$. Particularly if you have a turbocharger, the blend will not give you the protection against cokeing of the dino oil in the turbo bearings. If you are going to use a blend, you might as well save more $$ and just use straight dino oil. Only synthetic has the high temperature propertys to prevent the oil from cokeing in that high temp environment and scoring the turbo bearings. Now, if you don't have a turbo, and trade your car every 100K miles, it probably doesn't make a difference unless you live in a cold climate. Then the full synthetic is also superior. The dino oil blend will not flow as well as the synthetic and does not improve cold start lubrication.
  • wvroadswvroads Posts: 23
    This is a copy of a post I put on the main forum:

I didn't bookmark the new thread on "problems and/or troubles" and I would like to keep up with any issues others are having.

My airbag light went on over three weeks ago and it will be 3 weeks tomorrow since my dealer said it was the airbag module and that they will call when it is in. Well, I am still waiting. They said it was on backorder and that SOA didn't expect any failures so soon. At least it is still drivable, but maybe not so safe???? I am concerned that Subaru is unable to support the Tribecas that have been sold.

Anything similar happened to anyone?

Dave
    well I picked up my B9 after 1 week in the shop to get the door edges repainted and all the accessories installed (roof rack, bug guard, mudflaps, and tow hitch with oil cooler)...

the error i saw on the odometer area "Err HC" is tied to some error in the CAM timing! but it hasn't shown since. So Subaru said it should be OK to drive... The problem is they need a different computer to read the B9 Computer. its a totally different system then the other Subaru engines. so I will take it back in a week or so when they get their new diagnostic computer for the Tribecas (sigh...)
  • wvroadswvroads Posts: 23
    I had to wait 2 weeks for my dealer to get the software module to be able to get my "tire pressure" light off after they swapped out a tire and wheel from another new vehicle because of a tire problem on mine (couldn't get a tire locally).

Now I have been waiting 3 weeks for the airbag module to come in.

When I bought the Tribeca this was a concern that I had - parts availability, tech ability,programming support, etc. It has happened to me twice in 2 months. At least I have been able to continue to drive my B9.

Worst case scenario - you are out of town and a part fails that renders the vehicle undrivable? Leave it there, fly home and come back in a month or so???? So far I am not impressed with SOA's support for a newly introduced vehicle.

Couldn't they have pulled an airbag module off the assembly line in Indiana?
  • Couldn't they have pulled an airbag module off the assembly line in Indiana?

I know it is frustrating but if you were ever involved with a sophisticated manufacturing operation like a auto factory, you would find that pulling parts from the line would cause total chaos & totally disrupt schedules & quality.

If you do it once, then it can be done again. Where do they draw the line.

Having said that: If it was my car that needed the part - I would approve pulling that part. :-)
  • cptpltcptplt Posts: 1,075
    getting 20-21mpg in the chicago burbs
  • Getting 16 in urban Chicago
  • kmartinkmartin Posts: 427
    I'm getting 16.8 in suburban Phoenix, but easily 23-24 on Hwy.

-Karen in AZ-
  • Karen

With your highway mileage - what kind of speeds do you average?

At steady highway speeds I get about 21 - but I also avergae 75 mph on surburban Chicago highways.
This discussion has been closed.