Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru B9 Tribeca: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• samiam_68samiam_68 Posts: 775
    Inflating the tires too much actually reduces control, because the car becomes very "bouncy" and the tire may lose contact with the road in some emergency maneuver situations. Also, an overinflated tire is more prone to punctures and blowouts when hitting various potholes. The MPG difference between properly inflated tires and way-over-inflated tires is negligible, not worth the increased risk of blow-outs, poor ride quality, and smaller contact pach area.
    Keeping the tires inflated to about +3 PSI above manufacturers specs should be more than adequate.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,035
    The consensus over in Tires, tires, tires is that running your tires at the sidewall amount isn't the best practice from a wear and safety standpoint.

You're going to have to do better than "my sources are secret" to convince me not to rely on the car manufacturer's recommendation on the placard.

Steve, Host
  • Same issue on my 06 Tribeca - love the look inside and out and love being the oddball with a Subie, but SUBARU went to Wal-Mart for this radio and CD player - accept it, the radio and speaker system is of poor quality - it will not get better ;-(
  • Yikes - no sooner was I griping about the quality of the audio system *jinx* - my wife came in and said the CD player is not working - the display read "MECHA ERROR" - obviously short for mechanical error - I looked for this msg in the handy dandy Subie owners manual but nada was found on MECHA ERROR. Egad, anyone else seen this, and if so what was done to correct it, I have tried pulling the fuse, starting the 'beca, reinserting the fuse - to no avail.

By the way the radio plays, but the 5 loaded CD's will not eject or play. My wife said this started on a company retreat this weekend, where she was playing some STP and Sevendust on the way there, a person with her that she does not know well turns out to be a bit of a presumptuous twit and ax'ed (ahem) her to put in a gospel CD. I would have chunked the guy out, buy my wife does not have charm of her dear hubby. Anyhow she said the CD was not a special shape and it played for a few moments then kaput - the MECHA ERROR message displayed.
  • jandj94jandj94 Posts: 17
    My right is slightly higher than my left- driving me a bit crazy. I'll ask them to even them out when I go in for my oil chg. :confuse:
  • jandj94jandj94 Posts: 17
    I have about 2700 miles on my 7Pass Ltd.

1) Right headlight a bit higher than the left
    2) Rear dome light keeps falling out when I hit a bump
    3) When the temperature dropped, my tire pressure went to about 31-32 PSI and the TPMS light went on. (I guess it's good to know when you're 5-10% low).
    4) Also in cooler weather the rear hatch hydraulics move slower and I've bashed my head into it twice. It also doesn't open up all the way sometimes when cold.
    5) With the air temp at about 40 deg. F., the transmission 'bangs' from gear to gear when upshifting after a cold start. Maybe I should get some synthetic transmission fluid?
  • hmm maybe your Tribeca is "possessed" - sorry for the poor halloween humor...

where is the message popping up at? on your Audio Screen or the area where you read the odometer on the dash?

bummer - sounds like you need to get it the dealer ... you could try hitting the eject button with the radio turned off and then hold it down and power the radio on... just a wild idea ...
  • its been cold here in the mornings... and just saturday it was out all night and about 40 degrees. did not shift hard at all ... with the cold start... factory transmission fluid... I dont think synth will solve your problem if its dropping in gear hard.
  • has anyone got a diagram of the fog light lens area? is it a separate lens or part of the entire fog light assembly ? thanks just need to know what I need to order and if I can just change out the lens.

Took a serious rock hit in the fog light lens on one side :sick:
  • Uh Oh - this does not sound good - I have the same issue - the Subie dealer is going to have to remove the entire console to get to the disc magazine - I sure (ahem) it will be put back together just the way I purchased it (right).

see post # 137 and #138
  • Looks like the lens is availble separately for $80 :surprise:

or you can buy the whole foglight assembly for $95 :confuse:

the amount of time to heat the lens and remove and reglue the new lens I thinkg buying the whole assembly makes more sense.

now I noticed the right lens has a small crack in it. going to try windshield repair on that side... the left lens is really cracked :mad:
  • aka1aka1 Posts: 110
    What do you think you hit to cause so much damage to the lenses- and both of the lenses as well? Any other damage to the bottom of the front air dam?

I'd probably replace the whole unit, and save the old one for parts... Good luck

AKA
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    You get a CHASE Subaru credit card and save up Subaru Bucks.

We've got $300 stashed away. Got a rock chip on the windshield of our Legacy, so with a $100 insurance deductible, it'll be free, and we'll still have $200 left. :)

-juice
  • absolutely nothing... normal commute to work on the highway.

the front bumper is in perfect shape. the lens on the foglight is way too thin plastic. its needs to be glass or they need to make a rock shield like they do for the WRX line.
    That's what I would recommend. Cut the film to fit, and voila, it's protected.

-juice
  • how would you hold it up without a full front bumper bra?

I do not like those because you have to keep them clean underneath or the dirt will act like sandpaper to the car finish.
  • I was washing the car the other day and noticed a road chip spot on the car and rust was forming! I purchased the vehicle in Sept in DE and now currently live in NC. Do I just have to take it to the local dealer for touch-up?
    I don't think Mahogony Red paint is out in the stores yet. Thanks for the advise.
  • Does anyone have a diagram of how the fog light lens is assembled to the fog light body? it looks like it might snap on .. or is it like alot of tail lens - they use a heat sensitive type glue/sealant ...
    :confuse:
  • aka1aka1 Posts: 110
    I would think the part is bonded to the housing to keep moisture out of it... You'd have to get to it anyway to fix it, might as well remove and inspect.
    The panels that aren't aluminum are galvanized steel. That basically coats the panels to prevent rust. Then they are primered and painted.

But it sounds like the chip was deep enough to get through all that and expose the bare, unprotected metal. The coating was basically scraped off.

Clean the area up with some naval jelly (be careful and read the instructions) and then use a dab of touch-up paint. You want to cover the exposed area as soon as possible.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.