Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Economy Sedans (~$16k-$20k)

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,624
    It's just a little strange though. Five sedans and a hatch. It's like C/D hasn't heard of the Jetta--and we know they have.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    The Rabbit is a better handling vehicle. Why test the Jetta with the extra weight and lesser utility of a trunk?
    Because... the Jetta is a sedan?

Oh, I get it... which car did C/D want to win the comparo, is that what you are implying?
  • d_hyperd_hyper Posts: 130
    Because they are testing sedans (also mentioned in the article text). Besides "Gotta have it" score, Rabbit outscored Mz3 because of trunk capacity. So...where's Mz3 hatch now? Furthermore, the whole article is amateurish with only few sentences describing each auto. From now on, I subscribe to Edmunds instead! ;)
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    I agree, they could have used the Base or 2.5 Jetta, but it is what it is. (In the end, if the Jetta was tested, it would have gotten the same 5 points as the Rabbit for trunk space, at 16 CU FT vs. the Mazda 3's 11.5.) There's never going to be the PERFECT comparison test for a multitude of factors - from fleet availability to feature content to price to personal preferences.... but overall, I think C/D did a VERY good job with this one.

Edmunds.com comparison tests historically have left me much more perplexed than this one, though they've gotten better as of late. Still, the scoring is whacky.

~alpha
    Oh, I get it... which car did C/D want to win the comparo, is that what you are implying?

I get it, you are implying that you did not want the VW to win and would have prefered the Jetta to be tested as it would be less likely to win.
    I would rather that when a publication tests cars under rules they establish, they actually stick to those rules. Otherwise it raises a question as to WHY they chose to ignore the rules--e.g., testing a hatchback instead of the sedan version of the same car, when the test was for sedans.
    Any Mitsu Lancer owners here?
    If so, did you cross shop Corolla, Elantra, Sentra, etc. before you purchased?
    Mitsubishi seems to have faded from the minds of car shoppers.
  • tsgeiseltsgeisel Posts: 352
    "So...where's the Mz3 hatch now?"

With a self-imposed "limit" of 18k, there's no way they could have gotten a Mazda3 hatch to test, even stretching things as they did.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Mitsubishi seems to have faded from the minds of car shoppers.

Probably because vehicle like the Lancer look dated when they debut. Honestly, can you tell me that the Lancer looks like a fresh design compared to these?

Lancerimage

Mazda 3

To me, the Lancer doesn't look any newer than this 13 year old Honda sedan. It's a dated looking design because of its very square flanks. The new pointy nose doesn't exactly flatter the car either, IMO.

Isn't a new Lancer due for 2008? Will be interesting to see what Mitsubishi, with their troubles, comes up with.
    A new Lancer has been needed for awhile, although I'm not sure of the due date. It is still making due with a 120 horsepower 2.0L engine.

Is 120 hp the lowest in the class now?

The only ones I can think of near that would be 126 hp (Corolla) and Focus (136 hp).
  • I was very suprised that the Corolla didn't finish last, and shocked the Rabbit won! I didn't even know it was in the comparo, until I got to that page. Where was the Cobalt, Focus, and Caliber, though? Of course, all they would have done was keep the Sentra out of last place. Man, the old Sentra might have finished better than the new one. I also thought the new Elantra would have finished higher.
    If you'll check the opening pages of the article, they mention that none of the domestics could provide a manual transmission-equipped vehicle for the test.

I doubt the ancient Focus and mediocre Cobalt would've faired much better than the Sentra or Corolla.
  • 1racefan1racefan Posts: 932
    I stopped by my local Mitsubishi dealer yesterday to look around - it is on my way home, and I have a friend that works in the service department. A transport truck had just arrived with a full load of the new Outlander, so I took a peek at a few after they were unloaded. The Outlander was pretty impressive looking - they had 1 fully loaded model, and several middle of the road and base models. Over all, fit and finish seemed nice, and it was a HUGE inprovement over the previous Outlander. I did not ask to drive one.

I have seen a few spy pictures (on the web, and in magazines) of the supposed next generation Lancer, and it does appear to share several design cues with those of the next generation Evo (which pictures of the next gen Evo are all over the web). In my opinion, the pictures I have seen of the next gen Lancer, remind me of the previous generation Galant (that was pretty successful), only more aggressive looking. Depending on what they offer for powerplants for the Lancer, and what they offer for standard/optional features, it may be worth a look.

Now that the new Outlander is out - I think that if Mitsubishi would "clean up" the looks of the current Galant and refine it a little, offer an AWD turbo 4cyl version of the Eclipse (and drop the V-6), redesign the Endeavor to make it a little larger with more off road capability (especially now that the Montero has been discontinued), bring out the next gen Lancer and Evo, and DROP THE RAIDER all together, they would see an increase in their sales.
    The new Lancer will be shown at the Detroit Auto Show.
    I wandered over to Mitsu dealer and looked around and I my feelings are that they have a pretty decent product line.
    Not as attractive as Toyota or Honda and better than Dodge, Kia or Chevrolet. Excluding trucks of course.
    The Lancer may be an old design, however, I would take it over a Cobalt any day.

Interesting to note that the Nissan Sentra (pre-2007) was listed as one of the "least reliable" vehicles in it's latest reliability survey.
    In the small car category, the most reliable vehicles are the new Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris, the Honda Civic Hybrid, and the Toyota Corolla. The Chevrolet Cobalt, with 37 percent more problems than the average, scored the lowest among small cars, followed by the Nissan Sentra (2006), the Volkswagen Jetta (5-cyl.) and the Chevrolet Aveo.

Hmmm...
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Actually, have you driven the Cobalt? I'm not sure why it gets SUCH a bad rap, I've found any that I've had competitive, though the one area where GM REALLY missed the boat is the pint size rear seat. What the hell were they thinking? Drive-wise, though, the Cobalt is pretty quick, handles well, rides decently, ergonomically correct, and comfortable. To my Steve Maddens, the brakes also feel better than your typical GM pedal (ABS), for whatever reason, crash scores with Side Curtain option are respectable, and prices are low.

Sure, there are about 5 or 6 competing vehicles I'd buy first, but I'd put the Cobalt over the Mitsu.

~alpha
    Sure, there are about 5 or 6 competing vehicles I'd buy first, but I'd put the Cobalt over the Mitsu.

I'm pretty sure I would too.
    The highway ride on the Cobalt is pretty good I think and it has decent power. Also fuel economy isn't that bad--I got over 35 mpg on a 200-mile jaunt a few weeks ago. But the rear seat really is a joke (enough right there to rule it out of my garage), the driver's seat wasn't all that comfortable for me, and I think the controls are cheap-feeling and looking--although the instrumentaion is quite complete, with a nifty trip computer and, on the car I drove, XM radio. And of course OnStar is available.

I'd put the Cobalt over the Lancer if only because I think Chevy will be around awhile, and I'm not so sure about Mitsubishi--at least in the U.S.