Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scion MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• aathertonaatherton Posts: 617
    "... Driving at a higher speed with the least rpm gets the very best mpg."

The very best mpg is obtained by driving with the least throttle, the least rpm, and the slowest and steadiest speed that conditions allow.

I my 5-speed xB I have gotten 42 mpg on two Interstate tanks by doing that. Each trip was 250 miles at a steady 60 mph with no stops.

On two other trips of the same length using the same rules, I got 37 mpg. But those trips were on 2-lane roads with hills and curves, and passing through many small towns. Cruising speed was held around 55 mph, and of course there were gear changes and stops.
    "... 35 MPG: That's good! You must have a fairly light foot or flat terrain? Or you just got a really good one!"

It is the combination of a light foot, good driving conditions, and using the least rpms and speed that conditions allow. I shift around 2000 rpm, and do not have to drive in either heavy stop and go traffic or on Interstate commutes. I match my speed to the slower part of the traffic around me.
    Fast driving, aggressive driving, showing off what the car can do -- the few times I have done that the mpg has gone below 30.
  • exzur2071exzur2071 Posts: 43
    "The very best mpg is obtained by driving with the least throttle, the least rpm, and the slowest and steadiest speed that conditions allow."

The faster you can move the car with the least rpm(foot off the gas pedal, gear in neutral) squeezes the most mpg.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,403
    My mileage is getting better lately. Not sure if it's the gas or that the car is just "maturing". It has 22,500 miles on it now and seems to run better than ever.

• dwynnedwynne Posts: 4,018
    If you live where winter "oxygenated" gas is mandated, maybe they switched back to "normal" gas this month?

Dennis
  • I too have noticed a difference this week and I'm relieved. I don't know if it's the "normal" gas or the warm weather in the Mid-Atlantic region, but my MPG is back to what is was last Fall. 324 miles on 9.8 gal. = 33.06 mpg for the '05 TCM auto. The "box" seems to have better response also. I think that I'll swap the winter snows off this weekend for the Falkens.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,403
    Maybe so...I'm consistently breaking 36 mpg and I'm not driving slowly either.

• I just filled up today with 10.85 gal. and drove 348.7 miles for 32.138 mpg. Majority of the driving was highway at 60-75 mph in DC metro area driving with an '05 auto TCM XB. MPG is still holding steady with the warmer weather.
  • I hope the new XB gets similar MPG as the original. I just came back from a 347.8 mile highway jaunt at speeds mostly 70-80 mph. There were several stretches where 80 mph for several hours was the norm. I filled 10.78 gallons for an avg of 32.26 mpg with my auto '05 XB. If the new XB can get similar mpg I might trade my '05. If not, I'll hang onto it until it clicks over to 100k and give it to my daughter.
  • chitowntomchitowntom Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of buying a tC and I was wondering if it required premium gas. That is my main reason for buying a new car. $3.69 a gallon is killing me
    You can read/download the EPA mileage guide (2007 and 2006 editions) here:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

The 2006 guide shows:

tC ................................................. A-4 ..... 2.4/4 ....23/31 ...$1,530
    ..................................................... M-5 ..... 2.4/4 ....23/30 ...$1,530

There would be a "P" to the right of the figures if the car in question required Premium fuel - and there is not.

The xA got:

xA................................................ A-4..... 1.5/4 .. 31/38 ..... $970
    .................................................... M-5..... 1.5/4 .. 32/37 ..... $970

And the xB:

xB................................................ A-4..... 1.5/4 .. 30/34 .. $1,066
    .................................................... M-5..... 1.5/4 .. 30/33 .. $1,066

There is also a spot on the web page for other to share their real world numbers:

at this link

this should give you a better idea of what to expect (just over 20 city, it appears).

If you are tired of paying a lot for gas, I would suggest finding an xA or xB - not as sporty as the tC but returns better real-world numbers. Gas prices may continue to climb and regular may soon exceed $3.69 per gallon.

You should also check with your insurance agent before deciding what to buy - I would bet the tC will carry a high price to insure. It is a couple and the target market is one that has a lot of accidents :sick: .

Dennis
  • lingnanlingnan Posts: 7
    Talking with my insurance underwriter, a comprehensive policy, comparing to a 2006 and 2008 model xB, the premium goes up by 80 dollars annually. But judging at the standard equipment list on the 2008 model, it definitely worth it.
    The "new box" does not much interest me. I got the "old box" for the style (and cheap price and high MPG) and the new design does nothing for me.

I know the new box will have more power and more stuff, but I have not seen any pricing so I wonder if they can deliver more for the same money (another thing attractive about the old box) ? Also, with gas going over $3 per gallon I wonder if the new box will get as good in the mileage department? I would doubt that.

To each his/her own, though :D

Dennis
    "... I have not seen any pricing so I wonder if they can deliver more for the same money... Also... I wonder if the new box will get as good in the mileage department?..."

About $1,500 more and 5 mpg less.
  • kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    "I think that the ScionXb is the ugliest car ever made, designed, etc.It looks like a mini milk truck.I wouldn't buy that car for a dollar, I wouldn,t own that car if you paid me".

So why are you on the Scion forum?
    This is from a quick look and poor memory. :cry:

I believe the HP is 156. EPA estimate is 23/28 mpg. Body edges are more rounded and much softer looking. Sides. top and hood all blend together with no visible trim dividers.
    Seems the price was in the neighborhood of $18k.

Because of the rounded edges the car does not seem as "UP RIGHT". There seems to be a bit more rake on the windshield.

Instrument cluster is long horizontally and short vertically and resides in front of the driver.

I was on the right side of the car and it all happened quick, Sorry I don't have better info.

Kip
  • hachapmanhachapman Posts: 4
    I might be over anxious about this, but I have a new tc that is only getting about 18-20 mpg in the city. The frustrating thing is that I bought it to replace a 9 year old pontiac that was getting 20.

Does it get better? Does anyone remember the milage they got when their tc was brand new?
  • With the first 75 miles on the new 08 XB I drove the computer says it is averaging 21 mpg (this is in down driving only thus far)--I'm sure this will improve with breaking in (total miles on car: 150--75 put on by me since Saturday when I bought it). I'm not overly anxious at this time--my previous car 02 Suzuki Vitara got around 18-20 and I expect this to be much better overall after it has been broken in.
    Which engine and transmission does your car have?

Kip
  • My new xB is an automatic with the standard 2.4 4 banger engine. Now I am just over 200 miles on it as of this morning and the computer registers gas average at 23.3 mpg---I have not driven it on the highway yet--just back and forth to work and around town--generally going between 35 and 45mph (with a 3 mile or so stretch at 60mph each way to work). I only imagine the mpg to improve.....