Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Scion MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• cloned_2_deathcloned_2_death Member Posts: 22
    Yes, the S2000 is an incredible deal. For $30,000 you get great looks, possibly the best shifter ever put in a production vehicle, a convertible top that goes up or down in around seven seconds, made-in-Japan high-quality construction, Honda's legendary reliability, econocar fuel efficiency, a great engine and flawless handling. Yet somehow, Honda is having problems selling these vehicles despite their bargain basement price. Put a Porsche label on the hood and the pretenders would be lining up to buy it for twice the price...

I recently took my S2000 on a run up the Pacific Coast Highway to Mendocino. I wish every S2000 owner would have the opportunity to drive their vehicles away I do. It's sad to see so many S2000s in The City puttering around with their tops up and a yuppie behind the wheel.

How much did you pay for your xB? Since there were only two vehicles configured the way I wanted (base, black, manual transmission, with no options) left in the Bay Area when I purchased mine a few months ago, I didn't have the time to negotiate much of a deal. I paid MSRP, but I got the dealership to throw in the TYC tail light assembly for free. I was surprised to see how much the tail lights transform the appearance of the xB - they're probably the only Scion accessory I've seen worth buying. I later bought the (ridiculously overpriced) TRD leather gear shift knob and that will be the last change I plan on making to my xB.

It's too bad that you had to get the automatic. The shifter on the five speed is actually pretty slick, and its fun to hear the car growl as you rev the engine. One problem with the five speed is that because of the gearing Toyota chose, the engine RPM are way too high at highway speeds. The constant droning above 70 mph gets annoying if you don't have the stereo on. I rented an automatic from a local dealership last year and found that while it's nowhere near as fun to drive, the engine was a lot more relaxed at highway speeds. Even with an automatic, the xB is easily the best vehicle in its segment.

Too bad Toyota went and butchered the xB's styling for 2008. The PT Cruiser/HHR look and the Dodge Magnum-styled gun turret windows should have immediately received the thumbs down... Toyota never used to sacrifice practicality (or safety) at the expense of so-called styling, but looking at the massive C-pillars (and blind spots) of the FJ Cruiser and the shrunken windows + big C-pillars of the 2008 xB it looks like they've decided to cash in on whatever styling fad du jour seems to be selling to clueless consumers.

The S2000 was singled out (with a couple of others) as a car that consistently exceeded EPA numbers in the CR tests. I drive mine as intended (like I stole it) and get 23-24 mph commuting to work. The older 01 2.0l S2000 I had got the same mileage as the newer 05 2.2l motor - amazing.

I had a used Subaru for a "snow day" car and in the past had tried to talk both my wife and my daughter into getting an xB (I failed - they chose an Accord and a Civic). When I learned that the first gen xB was going way I waited until I could get a great deal on an 06 and traded my ScoobyDo in for one.

I drive it pretty hard, but it IS an automatic - I needed something others could drive if they needed to borrow it. So far around 27 mpg commuting and if I putted along I would think close to 30 might be possible. No road trips yet, but I would expect over 30 easy.
  • girlbuffalo1girlbuffalo1 Member Posts: 16
    Just passed the 500 miles mark on the new xB--average now (mostly city but two trips on highway) is now 25.5 on the automatic--getting better by the day!
  • stpericstperic Member Posts: 12
    I have passed the 250 miles on the new xB (AT) - average 26 MPG with city driving only. Better than I expected!
  • rovertonroverton Member Posts: 20
    2008 xb. Just purchased an xb, white, and took in on a 360 miles trip. Ovrall gas milage was 30.1.
    I am very please.
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    I am closing in on 35,000 miles on my '05 Scion xB and I am averaging just under 34 mpg city and around 31 mpg highway. I am getting an aftermarket cruise control installed soon and will be taking another extended road trip in a week. It will be interesting to see if the cruise control will provide better highway economy. I know it will make for a more comfortable trip.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The cruise may or may not improve mileage, especially if you leave it on going up hills. It will depend on the road you're on, etc.
  • ronhawkronhawk Member Posts: 3
    I'm getting almost 34 mpg on long trips and almost 26 in everyday driving. This is the first car that has gotten better mileage than EPA for me. I don't know if I just lucked out, but the trip mileage is almost as much as I get on my Suzuki motorcycle.
    A lot depends on how you drive, too. I can vary my mileage an easy 10-15% depending on how I drive my xA.
  • ronhawkronhawk Member Posts: 3
    I drive at or usually a little over the speed limit and don't baby it at all. I do tend to watch the gas mileage showing on the trip computer, so maybe I am turning into gas saver. Either way the gas mileage has greatly exceeded my expectations.
    If I stay at 65 mph or slower and practice anticipating traffic flow, I can get up to 39 mpg.
  • hachapmanhachapman Member Posts: 4
    Yeah, I'm at over 1000 miles now and still not getting above 20 mpg. I couldn't believe the guy at the dealership told me that it was because the gas has to much oxygen in it...I really hate it when mechanics try to treat me like a little lady whose never seen the inside the hood of a car.

I got rid of a nine year old pontiac sunfire that was getting 20 mpg because I wanted better mileage and reliability. I can't believe a brand new Japanese model isn't doing as well.
  • bigfieromanbigfieroman Member Posts: 12
    There may be something wrong with your new xB, or you must be at full throttle all the time.

On my ride to work every day, (9 miles with lots of hills and stop signs, plus 8 miles of stop-lighted 45mph road), I am averaging about 28.5, and that is usually with the AC on a mid-level setting. I also have a manual, in which I think it is harder to maintain smooth driving and easier to lead-foot. (they are rated the same for both transmissions) Even when I had 5..."oversize" guys (including myself) in the car, with the AC blasting, un and down hills and all city driving, I STILL got 21 mpg.

Edit: I am talking about a 2008 xB here.
  • girlbuffalo1girlbuffalo1 Member Posts: 16
    I think there is something wrong too--20 mpg doesn't make any sense. Even for the first 200 break in miles I was getting around 21mpg-23mpg Now I am at around 1100 miles and am sitting right around 27mpg--and I like driving fast..
  • subjectivesubjective Member Posts: 62
    Our 08 XB is averaging 29.1 mpg at 1500 miles. At my first oil change to Mobil 1 the Toyota dealer overfilled the second hole in the stick full mark by one quarter of an inch. This caused the MPG to drop by 2 to 3 MPG. I had them to drain oil to the full mark which brought MPG back to 29 MPG with the same driving conditions. This also happened three times with our 05 XB. I think because of the odd to the US metric oil capacity, this happens frequently. Our 05 XB averaged 33MPG over 35k mi. as long as the oil was not overfilled.
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    This also happened three times with our 05 XB. I think because of the odd to the US metric oil capacity, this happens frequently. Our 05 XB averaged 33MPG over 35k mi. as long as the oil was not over filled.

Sounds like it is time to find someone else to service your Scion - if they keep making the same mistake they are not very bright. I saw a car (not a Scion) that had been marked on the radiator fan shroud in yellow Sharpie "4.5 qts" or something to make sure whoever fills the crankcase does it right.

That little bit of overfill is probably not a problem, but if the oil level gets high enough you can do serious damage to the engine.

Dennis
  • lenzailenzai Member Posts: 7
    "That little bit of overfill is probably not a problem, but if the oil level gets high enough you can do serious damage to the engine."

May I ask what kind of serious damage to the engine is it? I thought that if you fill it up way too high then it will just leak out from the car, and that's bad for the environment.
    If it is filled excessively, lots of things can happen....yes, it can leak out, and ruin gaskets and seals as it does so....also it can contaminate the catalytic converter and destroy it, and lastly, the oil can cavitate (start to foam up with air bubbles) and thus lose its lubricating properties.

So a horrendous overfill (like DOUBLE) can have catastrophic consequences.
  • aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    "... At my first oil change to Mobil 1 the Toyota dealer overfilled the second hole in the stick full mark by one quarter of an inch... This caused the MPG to drop by 2 to 3 MPG... This also happened three times with our 05 XB. I think because of the odd to the US metric oil capacity, this happens frequently...."

I change my oil, and have done it 4 times so far. My xB1 holds 4 quarts. That brings the oil to the top mark on the dipstick. To overfill, I would have to open and pour in part of a 5th quart. What does metric have to do with overfilling?

However, I change oil at 2500 miles and filter at 5000 miles. So at 2500 miles I am adding 4 quarts and not removing the cup of oil that is in the filter. Then the oil is slightly above the full mark on the dipstick. I don't notice less mpg after those oil changes. How can a little extra oil cause less mpg?

Most cars oil sumps hold up to a quart more than the running capacity, before the oil is contacted by the crankshaft. If the oil is contacted by the crankshaft, energy will be lost as the crankshaft beats the surface into froth and mist. Did you see any evidence of that on the dipstick, to confirm that gross overfilling was causing less mpg?
    I really do not care to differ with anyone on this forum and mean no disrespect, but this is the point. We have put 35 k mi. on a XB 1 and can tell you with experience that the mark on the dipstick is somewhat unclear and at 4 qts or more you are overfilled and your MPG will drop 2 to 3 mpg. The XB 2 has 2 holes in the stick which is easier to read. We now have 15kmi on our XB2 and I can tell you with actual experience if you overfill that 2nd hole mark, mpg will drop. Im reporting with experience on this forum not to argue but to help other owners of the XB. Thank you.
    xb 2 MILES SHOULD BE 1.5K. THANK YOU.
  • lingnanlingnan Member Posts: 7
    Thank you for all input your folks are posting on the forum. I finally bought the 08 xB on 6/2/07. Since then, i have only put in 400 miles, coz i work out at home.
    But during my first tank, going into SF, and back to SJ, i recorded 33 mpg, which included driving around in the hilly SF. But i was light footed.
    Last week, when my son took it out to Monterey, may be his leaded foot, only recorded 26 mpg.
    About oil change, the director at Scion told me not to use synthetic oil because the engine doesn't require syn oil but just regular.
    BTW, mine is an automatic and the pickup power is surprising to me, almost like my S500.
    Definitely a nice car for local and run about car.
    It will be interesting to see if the cruise control will provide better highway economy

The dealer had the Rostra "official" Scion cruise installed in my 06 xB and I have to say it holds the speed about as well as an 80's model cruise did. Up hill it loses 2-3-4 MPG and down hit you zoom up 1-2-3 or more MPH - just like my old Pontiac 6000 company car did in the 80's. In contrast, the cruise on the old T-100 truck, the S2000, and the RX-8 are all rock solid. The cruise on the old Legacy I traded in on the xB was also much better. I may call the folks that put it in and complain, but maybe "they all do that" ???

Better than exercising your leg, and probably way better on MPG since it does not maintain speed going up hills, but not exactly a first rate system. I understand the "logic" of their not being a standard cruise, but Totoya should have put one on anyway - from the factory.

Dennis
  • dbc123dbc123 Member Posts: 105
    The sensitivity of the Rostra cruise control can be adjusted. It is very sluggish responding at the factory default setting. By increasing the sensitivity (as I did mine), the unit functions MUCH better. (See discussion @ ScionLife on how to change settings)
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    The cruise control has been pretty good at maintaining speeds for me. I have a manual transmission so if I get to a big hill I need to disengage and shift manually ... however, I have noticed an improvement on highway mileage. My overall mileage has increasd from just under 34, to around 34.5 since I have been using the cruise.
    I am a member over at SL and had looked into it, but it appears everyone seems to point to slack in the cable as being the problem. I checked my cable and it seems fine to me. Did you have something else in mind? Got a link?

Got rid of the RX-8 and I am waiting on a new "Daily driver" so I have been in the xB a lot more lately - and the cruise is getting tiresome with the speed variations.

Thanks,
    Dennis
  • dbc123dbc123 Member Posts: 105
    The cover on the electronic module under the hood needs to be removed - inside are a row of two position "dip switches" The settings can be changed to modify sensiivity. It was discussed at length a couple of months ago in SL under the XB forums. If you cant find it I'll try to dig it up. I changed mine and it made a world of difference.
  • jku72jku72 Member Posts: 3
    I have been getting 36 mpg for a lifetime average on my 2006 xA with an automatic, after 19,000 miles. Thats overall highway and around town. I dont think I could get into the 20's as some have reported, unless I punched a hole in the tank. The very first tank was 36 mpg, the best ever was 38, the worst ever tank was 34, with my whole family (2 adults, 2 kids) in on a hot day with the A/C cranked.
    I have to assume that anyone getting in the 20's has a serious problem with their cars.
    Frankly, I was disappointed that a 1.5 liter engine ONLY got 36. My feeling is that it should be in the 40's.
    It's not that light a car for a 1.5 to push around, and the gearing is fairly low in the transaxle, so as to give you decent city performance from the stoplight. Also questionable aerodynamics.
    I found it, thanks. It was back in Feb.

If you open the black box that the cable comes out of,(#10 torx) you will see a series of micro switches numbered 1 thru 12. You only have to adjust the first two, Leave The Rest Of Them ALONE!!! If switch 1 and 2 are down (default position) That is the least sensitive. 1 up and 2 down are more sensitive, 1 down and 2 up is where I have mine, and 1 up and 2 up is the most sensitive, which you probably don't want. Give it a try and report back!!

I will try to adjust it tonight and see how it does on Wednesday!

Thanks again,
    Dennis
    Transaxle has a 4.56:1 final drive, I think.
    Wow, that is really LOW. No wonder it "only" gets 36 mpg. But the car would be a real dog with a 3.08:1 or some such.
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    What is the final drive when factoring in the Tranny overdrive?
    I'm not sure of the overdrive ratio, I think it might be .8:1,(80%) so that figures a total ratio in overdrive to be 3.67:1.
    I am open to correction of course.
  • curiousrcuriousr Member Posts: 1
    Took my tC into the dealer here in Salt Lake City today for its second oil change. The first time they overfilled it - about 1/2-inch over the Full mark on the dipstick. But they were good about draining it to an appropriate level when I called it to their attention so I decided to give them another chance. Today, I reminded them of the problem last time, and asked them to be extra careful about not overfilling it. So I was surprised to find that they had filled it to more than an inch above the Full mark this time. But more than the sloppy work, it was their response that SHOCKED me - "We just fill it to what the book says." They admitted they don't even check it after filling it. I wonder how many Scions and Toyotas these guys have running around with way too much oil in them. Finally, after over an hour, I managed to get out of the Toyota Express Lube, with what I hope is a properly filled engine - (going out to check it now!)
    I was checking the oil in my 06 xB and mine is over filled as well. I applaud them using a yellow dipstick - easy to see the level even with clean oil. The markings are confusing - the xxxx'd area ends at F for full but there is a line above that F. That is where mine is filled to and not the the top of the xxxx area which the owner's manual says is full.

Mine was last changed at a Scion dealer as well.

Either they don't know how to read the stick or as curiousr found they just put "what the book calls for" in for an oil change and never check it.

I am not sure if over filling can cause loss of MPGs as some have claimed, but getting your oil filled correctly seems to be a common problem.

My last tank (commuting to/from work only) was 28.6mpg which is not bad given the route and my lead foot :D

Dennis
  • lenzailenzai Member Posts: 7
    I have an 05 xA & I went to the dealership for the first 3 oil changes back 2 yrs ago, & I couldnt tell you if they over filled it or not. However, after doing oil changes myself after that, I noticed that the oil amount stated in the manual is not the correct amount. I have over filled a few times when I just pour the amount stated in the manual. And I had to drain out the clean oil to the correct amount.

I also believe that a little bit over filled will not cause any problems. Designers/engineers (should) have safety factors built into all their designs. Let's say if the car can really hold max 5 qt of oil, they would maybe put "4.5 qt" on the manual just to put a 10% margin for those who cannot read.

My xA is still getting mid to low 30s mpg with combined highway/city driving and I am loving it!
    Over-fill is only dangerous in LARGE amounts, where the oil starts to get blown out past the seals, or worse, starts to cavitate (foam up), thereby losing lubication properties. But 1/2 a quart this way or that doesn't matter, so rest easy.
    I am not sure you can make a blanket statement that 1/2 quart does not matter. It would depend on the design of the engine, crank, and oil pan as to the amount of problem (or lack thereof) over filling could cause. Clearly with all these xB and xA cars running around over filled it seems to not be a problem :D

Dennis
    Well okay fair enough...I'd rephrase it to say "in a modern automobile engine 1/2 quart overfill doesn't matter".

I wasn't meaning to suggest that you just "keep it in there"--only to say that there's no pressing need to remove it. Had it happened to one of my cars, I would just leave it in there and not worry about it.

I don't think 1/2 low matters either but of course I'd top it off at some convenient time.
  • rchorcho Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a used 2006 xA (automatic) for $12500 with only 21000 miles on it so I got a pretty good deal. Unfortunately, like some of you, I have not had much luck with my mpg. I have never gotten over 30mpg. The only time I come close to that is if I make at least 1 freeway trip once a week that's about 35 miles one way (and this would be fully loaded with wife and 3 kids in the back). If I'm just using the car to commute to work (about 10 miles) I would use local streets and get between 25-26mpg. More than half the time I do need to drive somewhat aggressively otherwise someone might shoot me here in LA, hehe. Also add my almost 200lb weight, and I can kinda understand my mpg. Putting things in perspective, our 2000 Chevy Venture minivan yields 15-17mpg doing the same local driving.

My tire pressure is good and I use Mobil or Chevron gas so it's not your cheap gas. The funny thing is, when I had an xB with a turbo, I'd get about 24-25mpg in mixed driving but more highway than local. Dang I miss my xb!
  • ebaynm4u2ebaynm4u2 Member Posts: 3
    We bought our xD last week with 8 miles. I drive it two days a week to work and so does the wife. Our first tank in town averaged 33.8. This weekend we drove to the ocean and hit 40.7 mpg on the open road. So far so good. We still like the little car. We packed a bag apiece and took the dog (german shepard), plenty of room.

We do the trip fairly regular and am going to compare this odometer with our other car.
  • gunga64gunga64 Member Posts: 271
    Hi,

I am looking at the auto v4 2008 can anyone tell me what kind of MPG they are getting?
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    That is some really good mileage, especially considering the engine and car are larger than what they replaced. What mileage are/have you gotten with other cars making the same trip?

Thanks,
    Kip
    I took my TC in for its first oil change. I was told by the sales guy to bring it in every 3000 miles, when I made the appointment, they asked how many miles was on the car and I told them, rather guiltily 3150. When I went in for the appointment, I was told that I didn't need the oil changed until 5000 miles and that Scion service is every 5000 miles. A big waste of my time. I went ahead and got the oil changed, but they didn't want to rotate the tires until next time I came in. They said is should be at 8000 miles since I came early.

Should I take the chance of them telling me that I've broken my warrenty by coming in late at 8000 or should I just go in at 5000 for the tire rotation?
  • ebaynm4u2ebaynm4u2 Member Posts: 3
    The other car I have to compare with is the buick lacrosse with the 3.8 v6. Doing the same commute it averages 24.7. The same trip to the beach is gets 28.9. Total miles has proven to be the same with each vehicle so the Scion reads accurate.

Tomorrow I'll be filling up the xD for the second time. This tank is to and from work. No freeway. It's at 33.5 in town. We've driven it about 800 miles and still like it. What I wish is that the drivers seat goes back further than it does. I wouldn't need much but a couple inches would go along way with me.

Jay
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    Today's cars can going more mileage per oil change. However, if you have something older (which you don't) ot something that you don't drive very often, use the 3000 interval. Personally, I get the tires rotated every 6000 or every two oil changes. However, None of my cars get drive very much.
  • sactoericsactoeric Member Posts: 4
    I have an '08 xB w/ around 700mi & w/ nearly all city driving I'm experiencing below 20mpg.
    More 2008 Scion xB mpg stats here
    As long as your records show that you changed oil every 5,000 miles, you should be fine. Tires aren't even under your regular warranty.
    The dealership inflated my tires to 35 psi to help the mileage, but I'm still getting the same. I sold a 98 pontiac sunfire that was getting better mileage with the same driving patterns. They fed me a line about how the engine is peppier.
    Give the engine some time, it should get better.