Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Patriot: Styling Impressions

Comments

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,141
    These names are just ridiculous... I know we used the Patriot in the first Iraq war, and Freedom Drive sounds suspiciously like Freedom Fries. Am I alone in thinking that the Jeep division of DaimlerChrysler is tyring to play on jingoism until their buyers wake up and realize they were bought by a German company in 1998?

And, yes, it doesn't make sense to me for Jeep to have both the Patriot and Compass in their lineup. They're really diluting their brand by having too many models.

Commander - a cheaper, larger, uglier, GC; the answer to the question no one was asking
    GC - midsize truck-based SUV
    Liberty - small truck-based SUV
    Wrangler Unlimited - small truck-based SUV
    Wrangler - very small truck-based SUV
    Compass - small car-based SUV
    Patriot - small car-based SUV

The Commander should have been an extended GC. The Wrangler Unlimited should be offered with a full hardtop and replace the Liberty. Either the Compass or Patriot could have been added, but not both!
  • twaintwain Posts: 185
    While looking at a Patriot pic from a 3/4 rear view, I thought "It's an HHR!" The Patriot is very similar to the Chevy HHR, only it's a squared off Jeep design while the HHR is curvy retro. They're about the same size, they have about the same engine (the 2.4) and they're both car based (Caliber and Cobalt.)

Very similar vehicles. Except the Patriot will have an offroad option so the Jeep purists don't blow a gasket. ;)
  • gljvdgljvd Posts: 129
    whats up with the diesel not being avalible in the usa ? I wanted to get a liberty diesel but I hate the way it looks .
  • twaintwain Posts: 185
    whats up with the diesel not being avalible in the usa ?
    -----------------------------------

If the Patriot was offered with a diesel, say 150hp and 250lbs torque and got 35mpg hiway; it might be my perfect vehicle.
  • ergoergo Posts: 56
    Well after reading Edmund's review, I can't help but wonder if they even drove it. It doesn't sound like it. :blush: Judgement from the autoshow floor? :confuse:

So, they pick on Jeep's for being trucky and now that they make a road going friendly smaller one, they pick on it for NOT being a truck? :surprise:

Maybe we can get more info on what the vehicles ARE vs. someone telling us what pre-conceived notions they are NOT. Hey, it'd be a step in the right direction! :P
    Same . I love my 94 jeep cherokee but sadly its on its last legs and with gass inching up to 3$ a diesel would be awosome . 35mpg highway would save me alot of money a year . Next sunday I'm heading to the show myself , I really wish this was avalible in the summer though.
  • werm9werm9 Posts: 8
    I was looking to purchase a compass around fall because I knew it was going into production and I stumbled across the patriot; but I am still confused. Is this a concept or is this also going into production? When is it coming out?
  • shado4shado4 Posts: 287
    The Patriot is going into production and will be available this fall. Go to Jeep Patriot for all the details.
  • jkinzeljkinzel Posts: 735
    The Patriot looks like the right size for me, however if they don’t put a diesel in it, it’s of no value. And if they do put a diesel in it, it will probably be a 4X4 option only. No sale.

What is the “World Engine”?
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,675
    A diesel will be sold in other markets.

Bob
  • claudius753claudius753 Posts: 138
    The world engine is not an engine but rather a group of engines. Daimler Chrysler, Mitsubishi, and Hyundai created a spin-off company that would design a new family of 4 cylinder engines, and produce them but only for sale to the 3 companies. This new company is called GEMA or Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance.

They ended up with a 1.8, 2.0, and 2.4 liter engine, that each company can alter a bit to better distinguish the attributes they want in the engine, such as VVT tuning. The Dodge Caliber makes use of all 3 engines, while the Patriot is using only the 2.4. The 1.8 that Dodge uses creates an impressive 148 horsepower.
    yea that doesn't help me here with gas at 3$ a gallon and rising though.

Would love to have seen a diesel engine for this here in the states and with the changes next year to diesel they should be putting rushing ot put out diesel here. It would sell like mad
  • jkinzeljkinzel Posts: 735
    Thnaks Bob and claudius753. It is truly pathetic that we in the US have legislated our selves into a position that does not allow us to take advantage of the more fuel efficient diesels every other country can use. Maybe in 2008 a new batch of diesels will appear.

Thanks again for the information
    is the spare tire under the cargo area or under the suv itself ?
  • Anyone know if it will have a sun roof? I have an 03 GC laredo and love it, but would not mind something new and easier on gas... Will I be trading down? I hate not having a warrenty. I cant wait to test drive!
  • shado4shado4 Posts: 287
    Yes, according to preliminary specs the Patriot Limited will be available with a power sunroof.
  • I really like the Patriot and am considering making it my #1 choice for a new car. I'll need a new car in June... but could probably hold off a couple months (bumming rides from co-workers, borrowing family members' cars...).

What's bugging me is that the other primary interest is the 07 VW Rabbit. Is that a crazy comparison? I know the Patriot is pitched as a CUV and the Rabbit/Golf a little hatchback; but is the size/power/mpg really much different?

If I got a Patriot, I'd probably just get a 2WD Limited (AT). I know that's not very faithful to Jeep's core... but I really spend 95% of my time on city streets and carry more groceries than rock-climbing gear.

...of course - I'm also slightly interested in an 07 Elantra... but that is definitely a different vehicle all-together.
    The jeep would weigh alot more than the rabbit and thus get alot worse MPG .

I would see the jeep getting in the 18-24 range with the 2.4l engine (only choice) Though i believe the jeep would have much more room than the rabit for storing stuff and for the passengers esp with the seat that you can push back.

Aside from that getting the 2wd is kind of a waste on a jeep . You should really get the awd option to help you out in rough weather .
  • clarkkentclarkkent Posts: 154
    I don't know what you guys are talking about! The Patriot is bigger than the 84 thru 2002 Cherokee! It has about 83 (YES 83)feet of cargo space! That is more than the Honda CRV, Hummer2, Ford Escape AND Ford Explorer! Is that big enough for you!? And the only reason the CRV has 70 feet is it's all in the high roof line. Speaking of the CRV, The sheet metal in the CRV is thinner than the metal tap I used to measure it!!. It about as strong as an alum. beer can!

The Patriot it about 1 to 2 inches larger than the 84/2002 Cherokee in width, length and height and wheelbase!

Sorry about the columns. It's harder than heck to make them here.

Take a look
    84/02 Cherokee-------Patriot
    WB 101.4----------------103.4
    L 166.9----------------173.6
    H 63.8-----------------64.4
    W 67.7-----------------69.1
    HeadRoomF 41----------------41.0
    LegRoomF 41----------------40.6
    HeadRback 40.4--------------39.6
    legroomB 37.2--------------39.6

Sure looks like what the Liberty should have been all along. It looks very much like my 91 Cherokee and is almost the exact same size or larger almost everywhere!

So how does one say it's so small?

It's actually the perfect size!

It's not a small SUV. It's a true Cherokee! :)

The 2L diesel will come. It's going to Europe first, but it will be here. They are making the Patriot with the diesel 2L. We just don't get it here yet.

My only concern with the Patriot is the smaller 2.5L engine. 170 hp. Will that be enough? My 91 Cherokee and 98 Wranger have the 4L. The 4L has enough power. I had a Wrangler and Cherokee witht the older 2.5 and it just didn't have enough power. It was find up to 70 mph but after that it had very little.
    The 2L diesel will come. It's going to Europe first, but it will be here. They are making the Patriot with the diesel 2L. We just don't get it here yet.

not going to help me when i buy a car this fall .

Also with the new diesel law it may be a while before we get tehse . No 2007 liberty diesel .

as for the engine . I'm sure it will be fine . my cousin has a caliber with the 2.4 (its not 2.5) and it has some nice top speeds . Of course I espect this to be heavier so it may not be as fast and will most likely get lower mpg
    I forgot to mention the back door window in the new Patriot. Has anyone noticed, it is made in two pieces with a vertical window channel separation of the two pieces of glass, just like the last(84/02) cherokee.

They should brought back the Cherokee name for the Patriot because that's what it is.

CK
  • pegacornpegacorn Posts: 6
    Yep... The Patriot is indeed bigger than the XJ (85-02) Cherokee... but then again, so is my 01 Honda CR-V ;) .

SUV's have grown larger. As noted, the XJ's were not very large. There are almost no SUV's left on the road smaller. The Wrangler is shorter, but heavier. Even the RAV4 is larger now. The Hyundai Tucson and Kia Sportage are perhaps the only true compact SUV's left!

Look at these specs:

84-96 Cherokee 4 door (from Consumer Guide):
    Wheelbase, in.----------101.4
    Overall Length, in.------166.9
    Overall Width, in.--------67.7
    Overall Height, in.-------63.8
    Curb Weight, lbs.-------2955

2006 Honda CR-V
    Wheelbase, in.----------103.3
    Overall Length, in.------181.0
    Overall Width, in.--------70.2
    Overall Height, in.-------66.2
    Curb Weight, lbs.-------3428

Now, the 2006 Jeep Liberty
    Wheelbase, in.----------104.3
    Overall Length, in.------174.4
    Overall Width, in.--------71.6
    Overall Height, in.-------70.2
    Curb Weight, lbs.-------4011

And, just for comparison, the original 93-98 Grand CHerokee:
    Wheelbase, in.----------105.9
    Overall Length, in.------179.0
    Overall Width, in.--------70.9
    Overall Height, in.-------64.7
    Curb Weight, lbs.-------3614

The CR-V is over 10 inches longer, and almost 500 lbs heavier. The Liberty is a bit longer, though in both of these cases the spare tire accounts for a good amount of the length. Also, note that the Liberty has gained over 1000 lbs., 4 lbs in length, and 6 inches in height. Still, both the current Liberty and CR-V are almost the size of the original Grand Cherokee.

What has happened is a shift in how we view SUV sizes. In the 80's and early 90's, an S10 Based blazer, Jeep Cherokee, or Ranger-based Explorer passed as a midsize, while smaller vehicles such as the Suzuki Samurai and sidekick represented the compact end. We have forgotten just how small the XJ's truly were! At least, those of us who have never ridden in the back seat of one!!!

The (02+)Explorer, Grand Cherokee, and Trailblazer are all a size larger than their predecessors. Compact SUV's have grown to take their place, leaving an opening below them. Even the little Sidekick grew into the larger Grand Vitara! The Patriot has the potential to be the only off-road capable SUV in this this market, while offering the styling that made the Cherokee so popular for so many years.
  • I love the idea of it being a revitalization of the Cherokee, but if I am not mistaken, it is based on the Caliber and compass CAR platform. How truck, or should I say JEEP like will this thing be?

I am not an off roader, but like the stiff, up high, rougher ride of a real SUV, not the padded down socker mom trophy car. I love my 03 Grand Cherokee, but like new things every now and again. Would this new machine even come close to what the Jeep linage has been pre liberty?
    Its tough to say . First you have to look at its price range. Its price range is 15-22k I believe like the compass . However this will be the more off road version while the compass is the soccer mom version.

Its all going to come down to how well the freedom drive 2 works .

Sadly my cherokee is slowly dieing and I doubt it will last past this fall. So I have to buy soon and nothing is coming close to my old jeep. I'm hoping this will and whats nice is it will be a good 5 grand or so less than the cherokee when my father bought it new in 1994 and for the price I will get alot more inside (leather seats , chlilzone cooling , 60/40 seats in the back , keyless entry , sunroof , decent stero )
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,675
    One spec that is conspicuously absent is towing from the Patriot press release is towing.

If it's the same as the Dodge Caliber, which it's based on, then that means only 1000 pounds—which is lousy. The Cherokee, properly equipped, could tow 5000.

Bob
  • Dont get me wrong, I love the idea of the Patriot--perhaps a name that is less meant to lure us to buy the vehicle based on national pride, but I am just wondering if this thing will really be as good of a deal/good of a thing as we are making it sound... The price and that hype seem almost too good to be true, I am hopeful, though!
    If it's the same as the Dodge Caliber, which it's based on, then that means only 1000 pounds—which is lousy. The Cherokee, properly equipped, could tow 5000

Perhaps the caliber was designed around towing with the smallest engine which is the 1.8 . The power train may also play a part in the towing capacity.

The patriot is using the 2.4l engine . So perhaps we can get a higher capacity.
    Sorry to hear your Cherokee is dying. When it dies, if you love it. Go get an 2001. I think that was the last year. That 2001 will go at least as long as your 94, with was 12 or 13 years. So you will be good until 2013 or 2014! That should give you a lot longer with the good old Cherokee. (many, many cherokees are still running well after 20 years, so you may have your 2001 past 2021.

I think the Patriot is going to replace the old Cherokee quite nicely. I don't want something bigger. I like the size of my 91 Cherokee.

And to the gentleman that has the CRV. I had one too. You can't compare any CRV to a Cherokee. If you took any CRV off road. It would get stuck when it got to any mud over 6 deep" or snow got over a foot deep! and they would power out with 13" of snow. No low range. An awd Subaru will run circles around a CRV.
    My CRV went into passing gear at 65 any time it started up a 2% grade! You can't drive a CRV in Montana without it being in passing gear 1/2 the time. and that's on a level road! :)

The CRV is an all wheel drive for ladies who don't want to get stuck on road with an inch or so of snow on them. :)
    eh , I don't really want to go with a 5 year old car . Who knows whats been done to it over those 5 years .

I want a new toy to play with and break and fix and break and fix ...
  • pegacornpegacorn Posts: 6
    Hah... Sure you can compare a CR-V to a Cherokee. Do you know how many of the XJs were sold with only 2 wheel drive and open differentials? While it had the potential to be a good off-roader if outfitted correctly, it was also very popular as a road vehicle. In the southeast in particular, it's comparitively rare to find a 4x4 Cherokee, but of course, this isn't so in the midwest or Rockies. Hell, look at how many Wranglers never see dirt!*

The CR-V is for folks who want some characteristics of an SUV (high driving position, ability to drive on flooded roads, good traction when the roads are slick, versatile interior with plentiful cargo space), without the downsides that come with a vehicle such as the Cherokee; for example, sloppy driving dynamics, stiff springs, solid axles, and numb steering. The XJs were truly awful on paved roads, much like the TJs, but these same liabilities became assetts offroad.

*I owned a Wrangler for a while, but decided that with the infrequency that I left paved roads, it wasn't worth the terrible ride or squirrely handling. I'm sure I'll be run out on a rail for saying this, but I'd love to see the open top, doors off customizability of the Jeep implemented on this chassis. Rather than the Compass which essentially is a Patriot with curvy styling, make a short wheelbase, open top, unibody FWD/AWD vehicle with the traditional Jeep soft top, or even a semi-soft-top setup like the old Amigos and Sidekicks.
This discussion has been closed.