Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Patriot: Styling Impressions

Comments

• slkslk Posts: 2
    As reported on Jeep Canada's website:

"JEEP® VENTURES INTO NEW TERRITORY WITH THE ALL-NEW PATRIOT.

This compact SUV is the newest member of the Jeep family. Patriot combines fun, freedom, fuel efficiency, utility and advanced capability with unbeatable interior flexibility."

Personally, on behalf of several of my friends and acquaintances, the majority of us agree that the Patriot as a compact commuter AWD and the new 2007 Wrangler/TJ as a compact fully capable off-roader combining some nice modern touches (standard safety/performance features like the ABS, ESP, 4-wheel discs; and options such as power door locks and windows etc - hey you don't have to buy them if you don't want them) would be a very convincing one-two punch for Jeep's leadership, and maybe even survival, in this world of wannabees.

Jeep, thanks for bringing back that classic Jeep look, and now you definitely have several new potential customers here, both in the Patriot and TJ camps!
  • twaintwain Posts: 185
    I think the Patriot will be a homerun for Jeep. It looks like a classic, rugged Jeep but mechanically it's a car based crossover that should be economical and comfortable.

I've read that the Patriot 4WD version may even be trail rated. If so, that's the best of both worlds.
  • transpowertranspower Posts: 182
    I would be interested in the Patriot if

1. It had at least 72 cubic feet of cargo space, like the Honda CR-V.
    2. It had Quadra-Drive II, the best 4-wheel drive system on the planet.
    3. It had a turbo-Diesel engine, like the CR-V in Europe.
    4. It had a navigation system available (preferably touch-screen).

Does anyone know what the Patriot cargo capacity is? Does anyone know if it will have Quadra-Drive II? One of the demerits of the CR-V is that it has a very unsophisticated AWD system (just front to back, not side-to-side). Will the Patriot have a Diesel engine available in America, or just in Europe?
    I don't expect 72 cubic feet of cargo space. The Patriot is a small crossover/SUV, about the size of an Escape but not as tall. I'd guess no more than 65cf on cargo space.

I don't know what kind of 4WD it will have but apparently it's good enough to be trail rated. Personally, I'm interested in the 5sp, FWD. Hopefully, the base price is about 16k, like the Compass.

The diesel is for Europe only. I hope that changes.

Don't know about a nav system... we should know a lot more after the NY Auto Show next week.
  • Jeep has released detailed specs for the Patriot. They're at autoblog and slso on allpar.com. There's two kinds of four wheel drive- Freedom Drive I and Freedom Drive II. The first is an AWD system, while the latter sounds like the real trail-rated deal. Just one fly in the ointment- you can't have the off-road 4WD with the manual transmission. Since I want true 4WD and I don't want an automatic, there will be no Jeep Patriot in my future. Shame too, as I really like this little SUV. I'll just have to bide my time until Jeep brings the Gladiator concept pickup truck to market.
  • navigator89navigator89 Posts: 1,080
    Check out this link, it's got tons of specs.
    That's too bad that the 5sp isn't offered with the 4WD. I don't know why manufacturers do that. Manual and auto should be offered on all models. I'm still interested because I want the 5sp and FWD. I don't care about offroad. I love the Jeep styling and this Patriot may be the best looking Jeep ever, even an improvement over the Cherokee that it closely resembles.

I'll take a Limited with a 5sp, air, power, remote entry and cruise and I hope it comes in under 19k. That's right, I want a comfortable, economical vehicle that looks like a Jeep. ;)
  • faroutfarout Posts: 1,609
    Looking at the dask and the engine and Transmission and features, this looks very much like a beefed up Compass. Afterall it is being built at the same plant and same line. This might well be as much as a Liberty Sport well decked out. I think this will sell better than the Compass, as the Patriot is trail rated

Farout
    Originally, Jeep planned to only manufacture one...the Compass or the Patriot. Then someone got the bright idea that the Compass would appeal to women and the Patriot would sell to men.

I think Jeep messed up the Compass. The concept vehicle was a really cool 2door with great styling. However, the production Patriot looks even better than the concept (mostly by moving the fog lights into the bumper instead of the cheap looking add-ons of the concept.) The Patriot might even have been OK with Jeep purists but now it will catch negative fallout from the Compass. How well the Patriot's offroad package performs will determine its credibility.

The other question is how many people who like the SUV look but only want it for normal driving will flock to the Patriot? I think its the best example of that category so far. It has the right look, it has a big 4cyl for a good compromise on economy and performance and from what I'm reading, it will be priced in the teens.
  • Even if you have to take the auto to get the off-road package, patriot still offers a lot more options combinations than Escape. I can see the Patriot making some serious incursions into Ford Escape sales...
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,003
    These names are just ridiculous... I know we used the Patriot in the first Iraq war, and Freedom Drive sounds suspiciously like Freedom Fries. Am I alone in thinking that the Jeep division of DaimlerChrysler is tyring to play on jingoism until their buyers wake up and realize they were bought by a German company in 1998?

And, yes, it doesn't make sense to me for Jeep to have both the Patriot and Compass in their lineup. They're really diluting their brand by having too many models.

Commander - a cheaper, larger, uglier, GC; the answer to the question no one was asking
    GC - midsize truck-based SUV
    Liberty - small truck-based SUV
    Wrangler Unlimited - small truck-based SUV
    Wrangler - very small truck-based SUV
    Compass - small car-based SUV
    Patriot - small car-based SUV

The Commander should have been an extended GC. The Wrangler Unlimited should be offered with a full hardtop and replace the Liberty. Either the Compass or Patriot could have been added, but not both!
    While looking at a Patriot pic from a 3/4 rear view, I thought "It's an HHR!" The Patriot is very similar to the Chevy HHR, only it's a squared off Jeep design while the HHR is curvy retro. They're about the same size, they have about the same engine (the 2.4) and they're both car based (Caliber and Cobalt.)

Very similar vehicles. Except the Patriot will have an offroad option so the Jeep purists don't blow a gasket. ;)
  • gljvdgljvd Posts: 129
    whats up with the diesel not being avalible in the usa ? I wanted to get a liberty diesel but I hate the way it looks .
    whats up with the diesel not being avalible in the usa ?
    -----------------------------------

If the Patriot was offered with a diesel, say 150hp and 250lbs torque and got 35mpg hiway; it might be my perfect vehicle.
  • ergoergo Posts: 56
    Well after reading Edmund's review, I can't help but wonder if they even drove it. It doesn't sound like it. :blush: Judgement from the autoshow floor? :confuse:

So, they pick on Jeep's for being trucky and now that they make a road going friendly smaller one, they pick on it for NOT being a truck? :surprise:

Maybe we can get more info on what the vehicles ARE vs. someone telling us what pre-conceived notions they are NOT. Hey, it'd be a step in the right direction! :P
  • gljvdgljvd Posts: 129
    Same . I love my 94 jeep cherokee but sadly its on its last legs and with gass inching up to 3$ a diesel would be awosome . 35mpg highway would save me alot of money a year . Next sunday I'm heading to the show myself , I really wish this was avalible in the summer though.
  • werm9werm9 Posts: 8
    I was looking to purchase a compass around fall because I knew it was going into production and I stumbled across the patriot; but I am still confused. Is this a concept or is this also going into production? When is it coming out?
  • shado4shado4 Posts: 287
    The Patriot is going into production and will be available this fall. Go to Jeep Patriot for all the details.
  • jkinzeljkinzel Posts: 735
    The Patriot looks like the right size for me, however if they don’t put a diesel in it, it’s of no value. And if they do put a diesel in it, it will probably be a 4X4 option only. No sale.

What is the “World Engine”?
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,652
    A diesel will be sold in other markets.

Bob
This discussion has been closed.