Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Patriot: Styling Impressions

1235»

Comments

• The Patriot has a maximum towing capacity of 2000 lbs, providing the vehicle is equipped with the available trailer tow prep group option; otherwise the towing capacity is 1000 lbs.
  • faroutfarout Posts: 1,609
    frostyy: We have been looking at travel trailers, and even with our CRD Liberty it's only rated at 5,000 lbs. The only camping trailer that the Patriot might be able to tow would be a very very small popup camper. That's IF one is made that small.
    Towing should not be something a person would buy this Patriot for.

Farout
  • frostyyfrostyy Posts: 52
    The 2000 lb towing capacity would be suitable for people who simply want to tow a standard flat-top trailer with a snowmobile or ATV or motorcycle/small boat or perhaps a small tent trailer and so on....The Patriot could handle this with no problems...

....for those who need a vehicle to tow a large camper or large boat...the Liberty or G.C./Commander would be the way to go....
  • I read that the low range on the Patriot is actually a super-low mode on the CVT transmission rather than a seperate group of cogs. That's why the manual doesn't come with it. It sounds like a neat idea - just make that infinitely variable ratio transmission go a little lower than normal driving would demand.

An inexpensive, not too low mileage manual with low range would be the outgoing jeep wrangler 4cyl model. I don't think the new one has a 4 cyl because its quite a bit heavier.
  • By the way does anybody know what kind of engine braking you get with a CVT? (Isn't that the whole point of low range - to coast down steep hills without using the brakes.)
  • frostyyfrostyy Posts: 52
    Update: patriot production now set to start Dec. 11 and go on sale early 2007...
  • Engine braking on the CVT is similar to a manual. Not quite as pronounced as a manual because of the your physically preparing for the feeling after you let the clutch out when you downshift on steep terain in a manual transmission SUV. As I have driven both the Compass and the Caliber I expect the Patriot engine braking will be very good, just not quite as good as the Low Range mode will not let you operate past a certain ratio. I am certain its engine braking will be much better than my 1989 Ramcharger I use for offroading with its 727 Automatic with its non lockup torque converter. I hope this helps.
  • Patriot production finally started Dec. 20th
  • I am in the Washington DC area, and I located 2 dealers in the area that had the car - this is a HUGE area and I found only 3 Patriots - not even the largest dealers have them yet. I found a red one in Springfield, Va, a crummy little dealership being renovated, but the salesman was very nice. Went for a test drive and took some pictures inside and out of this cutie. I have to say it is the best looking small SUV out there!! Looks very African safari in the front end. It's small, but it didn't feel cramped, though one complaint was the shape of the seat cushion it flares up on the sides so if you have anything but a small butt, lol, you might find it a little uncomfortable. It held the road well and was easy to drive - but my main complaint was that the engine is very noisy and underpowered. VERY noisy. I am used to driving a Toyota Sienna minivan which is super quiet inside. I think the engine is too small for the car, but if you don't expect a peppy engine and aren't in a hurry, I guess you could live with it. The interior on the one I drove was pretty spartan, and the fabric on the seats seemed a little cheap and flimsy. I drove the 2x4 not the 4x 4 and the sticker price was 19,010 (base price 14,425). Gas mileage is rated at 24/27. I like the Grand Cherokee better overal with the larger engine, but the foot/leg position in that care is fatiguing, so I guess no Jeep for me :-( I will enjoy watching them on the road though because they are so cute. :D

Wendy
  • Ha! That's funny. I feel the same way about some cars. I'm attracted to them because they're so cute but I often feel like it would be better to enjoy just looking at other people's rather than buying one myself. I think the Ford Ranger pickup is the cutest and I love researching them but I really have no use for a truck. But I enjoyed helping my friend buy one. He even let me drive it!
  • "I'm looking for an inexpensive vehicle with a manual 4 wheel drive low gear with average mileage and decent reliability. Not sure this exists."

Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4, 3.7L V6, 6-Speed Manual Trans, decently equipped at $22,875 before options or freight, EPA 18 mpg city/22 hwy. I'm holding out for the redesigned (Cherokee-ized) '08 model...
  • djp_63djp_63 Posts: 10
    I posted this on the Compass Forum also:

I have been a Mopar fan for years, owning several Dodge and Jeep products over my driving career. I have been anxious about the Caliber since I saw the early pre-production pictures. I waited, watched and read everything I could to see how they would hold up, especially the CVT. Then I saw that Jeep was coming out with a Cherokee sized vehicle that delivered decent mileage; so I decided to wait until I could see that. But first I had to wait for the Compass to come out first. I never warmed up to the looks of the Compass, and honestly, I think the Patriot is going to outsell it 3 to 1.

With intent to finally buy, I began to test drive my interest and the competition so that I had a point of reference. The Caliber and Patriot stayed right at the top of list the whole time. They both looked good, had good crash ratings, good mileage and were priced well. With Patriots arriving, I found myself taking turns driving a sport appearance Caliber and Sport Patriot. In the in end, the Patriot had a better interior, outer body hardware, more room, bigger engine and future better resale. I still like the Caliber, but the interior was light coloured and was already scuffed up on the lot. It also had some plastic trim along the roofline that would degrade in a few years in the Florida sun. I was so glad to have them side-by-side and happy with my Patriot.

My first fill up yielded a tad over 27 mpg, which was mostly mixed highway. I am 6'2 and 180 pounds and the driving position is great. I like the Yes Essential fabric better than the leather, and the darker interior plastic seems to be good and cleans easily. The CVT is very nice, and the motor seems powerful, but a little pokey off the line but still strong. I was used to an straight six in a Cherokee. The long-term reliability of the CVT is my main concern though, but that withstanding, I really like the Patriot.

DJP
  • Hello,
    I'd like to know the water fording capabilities of the 2008 Jeep Patriot 4x2? I'm not planning to take this vehicle to the outdoors, it's just that when it rains heavily on my home town, you have to cross several flooded avenues on your way home.

I've read that the 4x4 model with the additional off-road package provides and extra inch of ground clearance (from 8" to 9") and a water fording level of 19 inches, but it clearly says that it has to do with some "extra sealing" a feature present only with the off-road model.

thanks

-pastor
  • I checked out the specs myself and there is no specifics for a 2WD Patriot and water fording depth. The 19 inch recomendation is because of the location of the fans for the radiator. The electric fans will fail in deep water. 19 inches is pretty deep to begin with. A 2WD Patriot could be safe to the bottem of the electric fans and the air intake location. I would get the 4x4 with the offroading set up myself but I do spend time off the beaten paths. Hope this helped.
1235»
This discussion has been closed.