Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Equus

Comments

• rcf8000rcf8000 Posts: 619
    I prefer no hood ornament and the vertical grille.

While I'm at it, let me comment on the price comparisons with the LS460. I keep reading everywhere that we are supposed to be comparing a $55K Equus to a $63K LS460. But the Equus should be compared to an LS460L, as the dimensions of the two are almost identical. If the base Equus is equiped as I think it will be, I think a comparable LS460L would be about $80K. That's enough difference to get a lot of people's attention.
  • allmet33allmet33 Posts: 3,557
    I think everyone will have their own preference as to those things and maybe they'll offer the "other" grille upon production to give folks a choice.

With the dimensions of the Equus already being almost identical to the 460L, I wonder what target the Equus LWB model would be. I know they are trying to figure if a long wheel base version of the Equus would be a viable move or not.

$80k vs. $55k...yeah, who wouldn't want to pocket $25k? :shades:
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Posts: 619
    With the low volume they are projecting for the Equus, why not offer both grilles? Let is be a dealer installed option, at least.

I don't see why they'd need an LWB version.
    LWB model would work for those that want to be chauffeured around, but would like to save money vs. traditional limo type cars. Why would anyone need the 460L vs the regular 460?
  • High-level executives expect to be chauffeured with lounge-out leg room and all the amenities available to them...
    actually the comment was meant to show that a LWB version would probably be welcomed by mid-level executives that want to be chauffeured around with lounge-out leg room and all the amenities available to them...and not have to pay what those high-level execs. are paying. ;)
    Hyundai Equus

* 2011 Hyundai Equus: This new flagship sedan will go on sale this summer with a price tag around $55,000. It's larger and more luxurious than the current Genesis and will feature a V8 engine only.

Hyundai Future Vehicles
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    Here are Motor Trend's First drive impressions on the Equus...

MT First Drive
    Yes indeed! Considering it's a prototype model and isn't completely tuned as it will be for North America...the fact that the driving characteristics fall between the Lexus LS and the BMW 7-Series...that's not a bad thing at all. I imagine they can tweak and give the best of both worlds with the air adjustable suspension. :shades:
  • A reporter would like to speak to consumers who are in the market for a premium luxury car and may also be considering a Hyundai Equus, but may not be convinced that it is a valid competitor in the premium luxury market. If you are interested in being interviewed, please send an email to jacevedo@edmunds.com by end of day Friday, September 3, 2010.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• kenb757kenb757 Posts: 149
    edited September 2010
    "Under the skin is a modified Genesis chassis, though the air suspension system is all Equus. In Normal mode, we enjoyed a smooth and quiet ride on good roads, but on rough pavement Hyundai's luxurious sedan transmitted too much jounce and felt stiffer than expected. Tap the Sport button next to the shift knob and the steering becomes more responsive and the suspension firmer. When subjected to tight corners at impressive speeds, the 2011 Equus responded with plenty of grip and little body motion."

From: http://www.autobytel.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_pag- - - - e_order_int/5/article_id_int/8774

I guess Hyundai still can't engineer a luxury car ride. If there is the slightest bit of harshness on my test drive, it'll have a snowball's chance in hell of making into my garage. Evidently the Genesis chassis was not modified enough.
    Hmmmmmmmm...if you notice, they also said the ride fell between that of the Lexus LS and the BMW 7-Series...if that doesn't qualify for luxury ride, what does???

Inside Line 2011 Equus Full Test

Some Sport With Your Plush?
    As we noted in our First Drive from Korea, the ride quality of the 2011 Hyundai Equus sits somewhere between the feathery Lexus LS and the firm-footed BMW 7 Series. Instead of floating over the road like the Lexus, the Equus feels heavier on its feet, more like it's pummeling the bumps with its big 19-inch wheels and tires. On the flip side, the Equus has less body roll than the Lexus and feels more buttoned-down through big sweeping corners.
  • kenb757kenb757 Posts: 149
    An adjustable suspension is supposed to cater to everyone's tastes without compromise. When I want a sporty and harsh BMW ride, I'll buy a BMW. Guess it's the Lexus for me.
    Says who? BMW's don't cater to everyone's expectations, nor does Benz or Lexus. The adjustable air suspension is there to give the driver choices, but that doesn't automatically mean that it will offer choices that would please everyone in the crowd. Sorry, best thing to do is to wait and test drive one for yourself and see if it fits YOUR idea of what a ride should feel like in a $60k car. Everyone's opinion will vary, just as everyone's expectations. You have to be careful because a $60k Benz doesn't ride like a $60k BMW or a $60k Lexus. For the Equus to find a zone between two luxury cars...that's not exactly a bad thing at all.
  • The Equus should be in select showrooms around Nov 1st. Only dealers that qualify, will be allowed to stock the equus. A whole new showroom has to be built in order for a dealer to qualify. Only 40-45 dealers in the US will be carrying the Equus at launch. The way you can tell if your local dealer is carrying the car is to see if their showroom is currently under construction. If it is not, then they will not carry the Equus until the showroom is complete.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,624
    Does this new showroom have to be physically separate from the existing showroom, or can it be another "room" in an existing building?

And does it have to be "new", or could a dealer use an existing but different building, maybe remodeled (like a defunct Saturn dealership, for example)?

My local dealer has no space to build or expand anything at their present site, so it looks like they are out of luck for the Equus.
  • toyetoye Posts: 351
    Had to RSVP for the first open house for the Equus in the South Florida area.
    It was held last night at Rick Case Hyundai and they had on hand the 2011 Equus Ultimate that will be in showrooms is a couple of weeks.

It was NICE!!! and was able to play with all the goodies.
    They also gave each and everyone of us a bottle of "Equus" wine
  • j2jj2j Posts: 147
    "An adjustable suspension is supposed to cater to everyone's tastes without compromise. When I want a sporty and harsh BMW ride, I'll buy a BMW. Guess it's the Lexus for me."

Uhh, the top-of-the-line LS460 comes w/ an adjustable air suspension.
  • j2jj2j Posts: 147
    edited October 2010
    "I guess Hyundai still can't engineer a luxury car ride. If there is the slightest bit of harshness on my test drive, it'll have a snowball's chance in hell of making into my garage. Evidently the Genesis chassis was not modified enough. "

That review may be a bit out of date.

Hyundai has since made adjustments all around according to The Car Connection which has driven the Equus 3 diff. times.

"Now, we've had a shot at the final production Equus. The third time's definitely a charm, since the 2011 Equus has been tweaked to give it better handling, which in turn raises the stakes in the luxury bona-fides lottery.

Hyundai's changed the suspension settings noticeably since we last drove prototypes outside of Seoul, and it's entirely for the better. The 4.6-liter, 385-hp V-8 remains a good and faithful companion to hurtle to 60 mph in under 7 seconds, and the Equus lets in just the right kinds of noise and vibration so you're sure it's working underhood. The six-speed shifts willingly, too. It's swift and quick, and the 429-hp, 5.0-liter V-8 coming in spring will no doubt boost the performance score we give to the Equus over on TheCarConnection.

It's in handling that we had the slightest of qualms with the Equus: those early cars drove with less precision than the Lexus LS, and well off the pace of the BMW and Benz sedans. The Equus has seen some significant suspension tuning in the past three months--engineers describe shock and bushing changes in vague terms--but it's clear from a run across the Skyline overlooking HGM HQ in Palo Alto that the Equus can now rifle off switchbacks as well as or better than the Lexus, with some of the taut ride control of the bigger Bimmers and Mercedeses. The Equus' electrohydraulic steering is pretty lovely, too--it's the ideal blend of motors where they save energy and hydraulics where linear, consistent feel are required. The vagueness at traction limits from prior drives has gone away, and what's left is an appealing driving "smallness" that doesn't go harsh at all, even with 20-inch wheels and tires."

http://www.thecarconnection.com/marty-blog/1049029_2011-hyundai-equus-third-driv- - - e

And if we are going to find nitpicky comments in reviews, then I guess BMW doesn't either.

"Best is the 750Li with the standard 18-inch wheels. Other 7-Series cars fall short of the lofty ride-balance standard we've come to expect from BMW. The adjustable suspension offers Comfort, Normal, Sport, and Sport+ modes. Thanks to its longer wheelbase and standard tires, 750Li is pleasant overall in comfort mode. Sport isn't overly stiff, but it does bring out some tire patter. In other 7-Series cars, comfort mode induces more tire thump and reaction to bumps than in top rivals, such as the Mercedes-Benz S-Class. Normal mode decreases the latter only slightly. Sport and Sport+ are increasingly firm. While never outright harsh or uncomfortable, these 7-Series cars are not as composed as they should be."

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2010-bmw-7-series-1.htm
    I guess Hyundai understands that to be taken serious, they have to create a different experience for the luxury car owner. I just came from the Hyundai USA website and directly from there here's a quote of something you Equus owners will come to expect...

"Hyundai has retooled luxury from the ground up. Instead of an incomprehensible owner’s manual, you get an easy to navigate iPad with service scheduler. When it’s time for service, our service center picks the car up from you, gives you a loaner and returns your car as well. And if you want reservations at that new restaurant, our concierge service can even help you there too."

Quote found here Hyundai Future Cars

I mean...when the Genesis dropped, folks were worried about what would they do with the service area to accommodate a "luxury" sedan. Well...Hyundai is saying we aren't worrying about the service department because you get to wait in the comfort of your own home (or office) and we'll even bring a loaner to you so you won't be inconvenienced. I think Hyundai is stepping out in a big way with the Equus and with that type of service plan, along with the concierge service...it won't take long before they are taken seriously.