Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti M35 vs Lexus GS 300

Comments

• donbldonbl Posts: 42
    The M35 has much more head room front and "especially" back than the GS or the RL.

I will also have a problem with son-in-law but he will have to live with it or fight my wife for her spot in front which isn't much better.....
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,594
    The new GS model ('06) has reduced headroom.
  • Thanks for all talk about BUYING the M35...BUT has anyone had any real problems? Mechanical or handling or tires???
  • M45 Sport with 7,000 miles. Not one single problem with mechanicals or tires. 2003 G35 Coupe, 25,000 miles, not one single problem of any type. 2003 MB SL500, 25,000 miles...not one single problem of any type.....multiple problems of every type.
  • docnukemdocnukem Posts: 485
    I've had two problems in 9500 miles, although only one is related to mechanical. The moonroof rattle has been fixed. The "mechanical" problem was a driver seat that became loose enough to slide about 1 cm with harder stops. They had to order a new bracket which fixed it (one week wait for part).

Others have complained about a pulling to the side when braking. Mine stops perfectly straight (I've even tested it without hands on the wheel--in a safe place, of course).

Handling and performance are great. The trade-off is mileage. I've had to replace one tire (a piece of metal went through the side-wall). It was pricey.
  • Dear All,

Thank you for this message board and comments. Really helped me in making decision between GS 300 and M35.

They are both great cars; can't go wrong either way.

But, having driven both cars multiple times, I must say M35 beats GS 300 in terms of fun to drive and cool factor. M is better in every area, particularly acceleration and handling.

Purchased new M35 sport liquid platinum yesterday, and it is a dream. Solicited bids on both cars. Best deal was on the GS 300, dealer out of south FL. Will sell car for 40K new (MSRP 46,174) and would ship to my front door for 40,500. M pricing is not as flexible. M appears to be hotter car and could not find it in Southeast for less than 288 dollars over invoice: m35 sport non-jouney, splash guards, full size spare and trunk mat: 41,288 and 41,487 actual price quotes in south. Invoice was roughly 41K.

Regards.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,594
    WOW, I'm surprised that the GS could be obtained for almost $6k under msrp.

BTW as a multiple previous Lexus owner I agree with your assessment.

Good luck with the new ride.
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Posts: 541
    Thanks for all talk about BUYING the M35...BUT has anyone had any real problems? Mechanical or handling or tires???

3300 miles with zero problems. Although the M is a new US model it debuted in Japan a year ago so it is not a new Nissan/Infiniti model. :shades:
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Posts: 692
    Allen: May I ask the name of the dealer in South Florida who was willing to give you 6K under sticker?
  • bcorigbcorig Posts: 13
    4000 miles - no problems. A dream to drive. No comparison to the RL and GS 300 in terms of headroom, legroom, rear seating room. Milage abot 19 mpg.
    One flaw - passenger seat. Not nearly as comfortable as the driver's seat. :)
  • I looked at the M35, GS430, GS300, BMW 550i, BMW 530i and the M45. I liked the interior of the GS series the best. It was clean and of very high quality. I liked the technology of the M series. It had the best Nav system, voice recognition, backup monitor, sound system and DVD player. I did not like the interior nor the technology of the BMW's. The performance of the GS300 was inadequate and the GS430 performed similarly to the M35. The M handling was definitely better than the GS. The performance of the M45 was similar to the 550i and completely blew away the GS 430.

I bought the M45 and am very happy with my purchase.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Posts: 692
    What's your gas mileage?
  • I am getting 19.5 overall and about 22-23 on the highway. The one down side of the M is the gas mileage. I have noticed from other forum members that the M45 gets about the same as the M35.
  • I drove all of them. What did it for me was the gas mileage and the price. I got very good deal, fully loaded, including navigation and ML for 45,500. Plus the fact the car looks and drives like a dream helped a lot. Hope this helps!
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Nissanfan_1, I moved your post to a better place for your question - just click on this link: nissan_fan1, "Infiniti M35/M45 2006+" #5483, 15 Mar 2006 2:29 pm.

Welcome!
  • aveghteaveghte Posts: 68
    I have been driving a GS300 as a loaner car and have been very impressed with the functionality of the intelligent key. However it doesn't look like there is a manual override option. How does this feature compare with the M35?
  • zidecarzidecar Posts: 49
    I have been driving a GS300 as a loaner car and have been very impressed with the functionality of the intelligent key. However it doesn't look like there is a manual override option

Not sure what you mean by a "manual override option". There is no "key" for the M, except for unlocking the doors/trunk in the event that the battery in the key fob fails. If that happens, there is a slot on the lower left corner of the dash where you can insert the fob, similar to inserting a key. At that point, you can press the starter button and the M will start.
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Posts: 541
    I get about 18 around town and about 24 on the highway.
  • bocatripbocatrip Posts: 194
    I currently own a 2004 G35 Coupe. I usually change cars every 3 years or so. I test drove the M3, Porsche CaymanS, Lexus IS350, M35 and GS300. The BMW and Porsche in my opinion were overpriced junk. Alot of plastic, super hard rides, high prices, and of course poor reputation for mechanics/electrics. I have decided to stick with Japanese and narrowed it down to the M35 or GS300. I test drove the M35, and like my G35 was not impressed with the erratic and abrubt shifting of the transmission. I liked the interior but just could not get used to the outside (rear design). It keeps reminding me of a G35 sedan. The acceleration is excellent on the M. Owning a G35 I know as a fact that this car drinks gasoline. Around town, which is most of my driving, my G35 gets around 15. I also was never in love with the body integrity of Nissan/Infiniti. Way too many rattles,wind noise, creaks etc. The Lexus drove like a true luxury car. Grant it, it does not have the power or sports feel of the M. However, I am at the stage in my life of wanting total luxury and the GS300 delivers. 2 areas of dissappontment are, the inferior Nav system in the GS which lacks the 3D Birdseye View and not quite enough zip in acceleration. Therefore, I have decided to hold off and wait for the 2007 GS350 hopefully coming late this year with any extra 50HP or so and a 5th generation Nav system which has 3D shadow graphics. Before I shell out 50 big ones I will wait for the upgraded GS350 version to make my decision.
  • billyperks1billyperks1 Posts: 151
    I am also waiting too, I hope it does not disappoint.

I like the M35X but i just cannot get past those tail lights.
  • blov8rblov8r Posts: 567
    Infiniti's made a couple of mistakes, and one of them is giving NO fall back mechanism to start the car if the fob gets lost/misplaced (as by a valet, even one's own clumsiness). That, plus an inadequately adjustable passenger seat, plus the doors not locking automatically when setting the car in motion are TO ME its main frailties ... none of which has been addressed in the 2007 model. Bart :shades:
  • ghstudioghstudio Posts: 959
    I'm not sure we know if the passenger seat has changed yet...All I've seen is a list of feature content changes and some rumors. We also don't know if the 2007 M35 has the increased horsepower of the G35...they are both 3.5l engines but the G35 has a horsepower increase.

I plan to lease a 2006 M35 for two years....by then, someone will have gotten this right. I've been looking at everything. Navigation is very important to me as a realtor and the system in the BMW's, Audi and MB are just antiques. They are still better than the Chrysler 300 which has, by far, the worst navigation system I've ever encountered. The Lincoln zephyr is just a non player as far as I can tell. I hate the passenger seat on the M35...I have been riding with a friend and it's just plain uncomfortable. I would buy an Acura, but just bought an Accord with all bells/whistles for my wife..now there's a great nav system, albeit, without birdseye view. The RL just isn't worth the money and the TL is just buying another Accord with a much tighter/less comfortable suspension.

GS300 drives like a Slushy American car and while most seem to like a thick steering wheel, it drove me nuts..I don't have large hands.

Maybe I should just buy the Porsche Cayman I really want, but I'd find it awkward asking my clients which one would like to see the property first :)
  • art234art234 Posts: 103
    I just made the plunge-pick up my M35x relatively loaded on Saturday. My only real concern is fuel economy. I drove the GS300, and found it cramped and small, and generally unimpressive on the road. I am going to have some fun with the M, which has much nicer road manners than the 2005 G35x I am trading (long story.)

I actually bought 2 cars this week--traded the G35X for the Lexus RX400h for my wife, and traded my 2003 Murano for the M--now I have the sedan and she gets a fuel efficient SUV.

I took the M for a relatively long (30 min) test drive yesterday and that was all I needed after driving the Lexus.
  • bocatripbocatrip Posts: 194
    Sorry to burst your balloon, but the M as well as the G35 is a thirsty car. The Lexus on the other hand does well for gas/economy. Good luck with your purchases regardless of the extra cost of fuel..It seems as if you have broken even with your trade.
  • sfcharliesfcharlie Posts: 402
    "Sorry to burst your balloon, but the M as well as the G35 is a thirsty car. The Lexus on the other hand does well for gas/economy. Good luck with your purchases regardless of the extra cost of fuel..It seems as if you have broken even with your trade."

Consumer Reports overall mpg with the M35x AWD was 18.
    Consumer Reports overall mpg with the Lexus GS was 20.

At 15K, you would save only $250 (at $3 per gallon) with the GS, and, generally, the M35x gets one mpg less than regular M35, which is a fairer comparison with the GS. I'm not sure I'd decide to go with one $45L-$50K car, over another, to save $125-$250 per year. If we're looking for mpg, none of the cars recently discussed are the road to mpg heaven.
  • I drove both the M35 and the GS300 (and the Acura TL), and chose the M. I really liked the GS, and I'm sure it's a great car. But I found the inside so small and cramped relative to the M, the trunk is tiny, and the price for an equivalently-equipped GS is several thousand higher.

I also had a '96 Maxima that was the best car I ever owned - most reliable, most fun to drive, most spacious. My great experience with that car definitely had an influence on my selection of the M. I'd replaced that car with an '02 Volvo V70 that needed to have the transmission replaced at 35k miles, fortunately under warranty. I sold it as soon as it was fixed, and decided it was time to go back to Japanese cars.

I ordered an '07 M35 in April, and it'll finally be here in another week or two - it's been a painful wait, but I'm excited that it's finally on its way. I special ordered because I wanted a Crimson car with Graphite interior, which was very hard to find. Glad that it ended up being an '07, since Nissan did make the passenger seat a 10-way adjustable seat like the driver's seat.
  • buyer10buyer10 Posts: 1
    For the last two years, I drove a 2004 GS 300. I recently looked at a 2006 GS300 and then looked at an Infiniti M35. The M35 won me over immediately. More room, better Nav system, and it just screams down the road.

It's actually a quieter drive than the GS-300 as well and was several thousand dollars cheaper.

The GS-300 just seemed like a bland car versus the M-35. Yes, the M-35 seems to use a little more gas, but it's like riding in an F-15 when you're going down the highway. It is definitely a lot more fun to drive than the GS-300.

I had to have the dealership check one thing on the M-35 when I thought the NAV system froze up on me. Turned out it didn't, but the service personnel at the dealership went above and beyond the call of duty to make sure I was satisfied. When I got home, I even got a followup call from the salesman who sold it to me to make sure I was satisfied. That's very good followup.

So far I don't just like the Infiniti. I love it.
  • I love my Bimmer, still have it, just gave it to my Mom. I wanted to upgrade, the 5 has nice exterior but inside looks cheap. I hate to say it coming from a bimmer owner but I was not about to drop 60K for something that looks cheap. I went to the lexus dealer the next day and bought my GS300, I like the luxurious feeling that it gives, its also very well known for reliability and holds it value over time, so I don't have to worry about depreciation. The M was okay, the exterior doesn't do it for me. The inside is nice with all the Nav and voice activation system but the smooth ride, and the feeling from a lexus is not the same for me. The M has a more boxier look to it. I think really all depends on taste, both are good cars. My in law bought a M35 and she loves it. I'm not easily impressed by technology, for me its the whole package. Not just the look, not just the way it drives... but I think about insurance cost, up keep costs, depreciation, safety, and overall smoothiness and luxury feel. I'm happy w/ my lexus
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Posts: 317
    I know what you are talking about. I loved the 2006 GS, BUT my head touched the sunroof. That killed it for me.
  • blov8rblov8r Posts: 567
    The GS-300 just seemed like a bland car versus the M-35. Yes, the M-35 seems to use a little more gas, but it's like riding in an F-15 when you're going down the highway. It is definitely a lot more fun to drive than the GS-300.

With all its other attributes, I think you've hit the nail squarely on the head on what separates these two cars. I felt I was "riding" in the GS, "driving" the M. I have a hang-up about handling machinery .. I've raced cars, boats, and flown planes. I like to feel like I'm more than merely a passenger ... that I'm having fun actually driving! And that's what grabbed me about the M. For that matter, 12 years ago I opted for a Q45 over an LS because it was more of a driver's car. Bart :shades:
This discussion has been closed.