Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mistubishi Lancer EvoX

igor2igor2 Posts: 148
edited March 8 in Mitsubishi
Well I just thought this discussion was missing ( I was not able to find it).. and the fact that I fould some prelim renderings/pictures.. I though I Will start it...

Here is a link to the pictures:
http://imgs.pravda.sk/sk_aaktual/A050824_P21_MITSUSPOTB01_V.JPG

http://imgs.pravda.sk/sk_aaktual/A050824_P21_MITSUSPOTB02_V.JPG

http://imgs.pravda.sk/sk_aaktual/A050824_P21_MITSUSPOTB03_V.JPG

http://imgs.pravda.sk/sk_aaktual/A050824_P21_MITSUSPOTB04_V.JPG

http://imgs.pravda.sk/sk_aaktual/A050824_P21_MITSUSPOTB05_V.JPG

source: Slovak Daily Pravda www.pravda.sk

Also this is an european source so there is a chance of changes to the body or a whole concept when crossing the Atlantic...

And finally, I am not sure how long the source keeps the pictures up, after the article gets dated, so I apologize if they do dissapear (the article came up today, so that should take a while, though).

Igor

Comments

• 1racefan1racefan Posts: 932
    is that it looks heavy. Not quite as light weight and "clean" looking as the current model.
  • chris65amgchris65amg Posts: 372
    It doesn't look as svelte. It reminds me forcibly of the R-Class.... although it could probably fit inside of an R-Class
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Posts: 1,986
    Apparently, from the schnozz, Audi now owns part of Mitsu!
    ;-]
    looks more European than Japanese. I would think this would appeal more to an older crowd than the current EVO.
    Considering what they've done to the Eclipse, I think you may be on to something there, racefan.

I don't dislike the overall concept here, though I'm not excited about it either. It does look heavier to me, but I think I'd call that more "solid" looking. Looks kinda tough.

Actually, the more I look at it, the more it reminds me of the A3, only nowhere near as appealing (IMO, of course).
    some specs and pricing on it. I would like to know the "bang for the buck factor"!!!
  • igor2igor2 Posts: 148
    well I re-read the article, that there are none.
    IT will be offically revealed as a Sportback concept in Frankfurt in a month... The only spec they mentioned are 18" wheels....

blah...

sorry for no help...

but I think you guys are onto something with mentioning Audi influence.. The front grill definitely resonates, and Sportback is an Audi designation..

lastly, as expected and already known, it's the same platform as Dodge Caliber.
    Is it going to be the EVO X, or the next Ralliart Sportback? This design would make a good Ralliart Sportback, but not so good of a next generation EVO in my opinion.
  • igor2igor2 Posts: 148
    Well. while the original source mentioned both names linked to the pictures, another source (a czech online auto mag www.auto.cz) mentioned the sportback as different from an upcoming evo.. we'll have to see I guess..

Igor
  • I'm debating between a STI and an EVO, what I would like to kmow from current owners, first how much are your maint cost a year ( I read that the EVO maint is pretty expensive), How's the car holding up after a year, does it still have the same or close to new car zip, and what other problems have you guys encountered over the first year of ownership
  • oh and how's the gas mileage ? I just bought a Nissan frontier big mistake BIG mistake
  • Maintenance has been ok, but I have the dealer do oil changes @ $50 a pop (Mobil1). I have yet to have a scheduled maintenance done by the dealer - I've only got 18.3K miles on my 2003 EVO. Unscheduled maintenance has included running a new bead of sealer on a leaking oil pan (warranty), a warped driver's side rear view mirror replaced (warranty), and a clutch installation ($1300 Exedy twin disc + $690 installation) to replace a slipping stock clutch. Stock clutches are notoriously weak on these cars, and an aftermarket clutch is a necessity, although you can get the preferred ACT clutch for about $450. I've replaced the spark plugs about every 6K miles - the car runs so rich that they foul pretty quickly. A Vishnu "Cannonball" ECU reflash that supposedly leans it out hasn't helped noticeably. I've also had the diff + trans fluids changed due to my spirited driving. Bottom line - if anything breaks, you're in for some serious charges. Drive it like a Corolla and it should do you just fine. Drive it like it's meant to be driven, and you risk $500 warped rotor replacements, $2500 diff changes, $3500 transmission rebuilds, and $7000 turbo/engine repairs. If you're lucky like a majority of us are, and you track it, you'll only have brake pads and tire replacements (the stock ADVANS run $247/each).

Otherwise the car is holding up fairly well. I've got some rust appearing under the car, which other EVO owners have noticed on theirs, too. Not surprising for an upstate NY year-round driven EVO and a car that's undercoated just for the States. Still zippy, but the aftermarket clutches can be a bit rougher than the smooth stock clutch. You just have to pretend you're driving a WRC rally stage each day to work and then it makes it fun.

Gas mileage has been abysmal. During the winter I average around 16mpg city / 22mpg hwy. Summer is around 18mpg city / 24mpg hwy. Unfortunately I drive mostly city.

As a daily driver this car is punishing - I can't even imagine what an EVO RS owner goes through. I miss cruise control, I miss a smooth clutch engagement, and I miss a suspension that absorbs bumps rather than stiff-arms them. The power and laser-like steering almost make up for it, but how much can you use it in normal driving conditions? The track is where the perma-grin attaches to the EVO driver.

I'm currently debating between an RSX-S and an A3 as a civilized replacement for the EVO. Or... maybe in addition to the EVO. ;)

Courtesy of Autoweek. This is the EVO, and the Sportback resemblence is, of course, clear.

I like it. I prefer the Sportback shape, truth be told, but the rub is that this car should have been intro'd now. It makes the current Eclipse look antiquated as opposed to slightly retro. This rocks!

The article says the concept is a turbo-four (OK) mated to a 6-speed manumatic. The print said "clutchless", which translates to torque converter to me. WTH? Yeah, that'll go over real well in enthusiast circles! DSG I could understand...

Mitsu needs to get a new, medium-small displacement (3.0-3.2) DOHC six with an alloy block and heads into these kinds of cars. Pronto.

I do like the shape and proportions though. A lot. It's really grown on me in a very short time.
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    "The article says the concept is a turbo-four (OK) mated to a 6-speed manumatic. The print said "clutchless", which translates to torque converter to me. WTH? Yeah, that'll go over real well in enthusiast circles! DSG I could understand..."

I think some sort of DSG is what we'll get.

"Mitsu needs to get a new, medium-small displacement (3.0-3.2) DOHC six with an alloy block and heads into these kinds of cars. Pronto."

Naah, that's what the Eclipse is for now that it's a de facto Galant coupe. The Evo will always be a 2.0 liter four as long as it's a homologated WRC car. 300hp off the GEMA block is plenty.
    The Eclipse has gone way too far that direction Bumpy. That's the problem with it. What the heck they were thinking putting that chunky 3.8L in there I'll never know.

My bad on saying "these cars". I would never suggest tainting the EVO itself; that's exactly the kind of thing that ticks me off.

If I'm ever gonna get in a Sportback, though, I really don't do fours, and from the looks and size and description, I might indeed like to be in a Sportback. I'd prefer a 3.0 all-alloy inline six, but a nice compact lightweight V will do.
  • What a great looking car! Excellent job, Mitsubishi!

By 2007 it will be time for me to buy a new car and this will be it if the production Evo is close to the concept X. I hope, for Mitu's own sake, that they will offer it with a REAL transmission for REAL drivers, i.e. a 6-speed manual. I ain't getting no power-robbing, boring auto-tronic or CVT piece of garbage. My car must have 3 pedals!

The Evo and the STi are absolute gems among today's cars. The level of performance and leading edge technology for the money is unparalleled. And with the Evo's new styling, I will never look at another M3 again. Ever.

• kernickkernick Posts: 4,072
    those taillights. They look like the eyes of a kid's toy robot. I even like the wing, which on today's EVO looks like it was glued on as a last-second thought.
  • It's value will fall faster than DaimlerChrysler stock! This car persist ONLY due to the genuine love of car mags and owners. No marketing guru could make this car hot, only the real drivers know, and love it.

Note to Mitsu: THIS IS OFFICIALLY THE LAST CAR YOU HAVE OF ANY WORTH! DO NOT DROP THE CLUTCH! IF SOMEONE ASKS YOU, JUST SAY NO! NEVER! EVER! EVER!!

You've done a good thing. :shades: Now just don't screw it up! :mad: K?

DrFill
    Major BINGO on the lights. The bright trim bezels are silly.

The wing? Ho hum. If it has to have it to evoke the true EVO experience then so be it. I think it'd be cleaner and definitely more sophisticated without, but sophisticated was never what this car was about. Never needed to be.

Tranny? Unless they can come up with a rally-proven race tranny like Audi's DSG, they'd better stick with a 3-pedal 6M, says I.
    They need to be a smokey color - not this goofey clear/white color. Maybe a smokey, gray kind of carbon fiberish looking design?
This discussion has been closed.