Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mistubishi Lancer EvoX

124»

Comments

• stevecebustevecebu Posts: 493
    Thank you for the link!
    The 280HP is only for the Japan-market version, the US version is still expected to have 300+HP.
    The EVO X will be launched in Japan right around the time the Tokyo Motor Show runs. In the U.S. the EVO X is expected to launch within the first 12 weeks of 2008. Most speculation places the launch at late January early February...

Sure thing, I don't know what the new EVO will actually have but the pics in the catalog do at least show the Ralliart version as well as 2 other models, so it's an idea of what we will or might get.
    If they had launched it before Christmas I probably would have bought one but no chance of that now. Maybe the EVO XI. I have to have a car in January and no hope for the EVO X. I'm not going to buy a beater for 3 months.
    damn shame they were so slow on releasing it the way they did. They should be smart enough to release the US version along with the Japanese version but of course they won't do that.
    So probably either a Mini Cooper S or a Mazdaspeed 3 for me for the next 5 years. I wanted the EVO X but what can you do. :sick:
  • Hey, how much do you guys think this car is going to cost when it hits the U.S?
    Hey, how much do you guys think this car is going to cost when it hits the U.S?

You can be certain it will not be cheaper than it was for the EVO IX. I imagine it could be a few thousand more than before. Then many dealers will only get a couple of them so they will add $10K to the price. It's probably a limited edition and only so many units a year so dealer price gouging will be a big problem. also a lot of first in line buyers will buy the car and resell it on ebay for a lot more. I don't expect it will be reasonable due to all of that. It's a shame Mitsu doesn't actually keep their dealers from adding on money. But Honda does it as do most car dealers if a car is very desirable.
    I've walked out of showrooms and not bought cars when I see the ADM stickers on the car. I bought a Miata over a Honda S2000 way back in 2000 because it was loaded with every dealer option as well as a $10K ADM sticker. So almost $50K or so for a Honda S2000!
    No Thanks.
    Mitsubishi is dying on the vine so they really need to keep the dealers from doing this.
    If the Lancer and the EVO don't turn them around then they, like VW and Isuzu might leave the US market due to massive financial losses.
  • psychogunpsychogun Posts: 125
    I understand your disappointment regarding the timing of the US launch for the EVO X.
    However, please don't go off spouting unsubstantiated silliness about Mitsubishi's financial standing and highly unlikely departure from the US.
    Both the Lancer and Outlander are selling quite well and have been the main contributors to Mitsubishi's sales success this year. The EVO is a halo car, not a volume seller and will not make or break Mitsubishi.
    I understand your disappointment regarding the timing of the US launch for the EVO X.
    However, please don't go off spouting unsubstantiated silliness about Mitsubishi's financial standing and highly unlikely departure from the US.
    Both the Lancer and Outlander are selling quite well and have been the main contributors to Mitsubishi's sales success this year. The EVO is a halo car, not a volume seller and will not make or break Mitsubishi.

Mitsubishi from a purely business standpoint has been in trouble for a long time. They currently do not have any plans to pull out of the US market but they are really very deep in the Red and that is easily verified by a quick search on Google. I'd still buy an EVO but Mitsu really needs to turn things around. Their best sellers are the Lancer and Outlander and all their other cars are hurting in sales.
    You must be aware of how much money has been poured into them to keep them afloat.
    I can and will post links if you don't want to look it up but I think they have taken as big a Hit financially as VW has.

I mean they even admit to the problems they have had in the first article
    http://www.just-auto.com/factsheet.aspx?id=192

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0RRT/is_2006_Oct_30/ai_n16808842

They are loosing less in 2007 than in prior years tho
    http://www.japancorp.net/Article.Asp?Art_ID=14945

Just don't look at their other divisions like their Bank because it's hurting due to the changing value of the US dollar and a lot of other reasons.
    It might be a good time to buy Mitsu stock because it looks like they are going up more and more.
    The EVO might very well be a Halo car but the Lancer is their bread and butter as is the Outlander and they know it. The Asian market which is where currently live is a different story.
    Thank you for the links.
    Please note that the just-auto link is a bit outdated (2005)

I am very aware of Mitsubishi's recent past. However, we are not talking about the past we're talking about the present and future.
    As you indicate yourself, Mitsubishi's financial picture is improving. For FY 2006 they were totally in the black http://media.mitsubishi-motors.com/pressrelease/e/corporate/detail1623.html
    Your link to the Q1 2007 is fine but the link below breaks out their financials better. http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/corporate/ir/share/pdf/e/kessan/070730-3.pdf
    As you can see on slide 4, they had a one-time charge. Without that charge, they would have reported a pre-tax profit.
    For FY 2007 they are forecasting a net (after tax) profit of 20 billion yen.
    The group of Mitsubishi companies are not divisions, they are separate companies, all reporting their own financials.
    Actually MItsubishi stock is down 17% for the year (the entire auto sector is down for that matter).
    Mitsubishi could do better in Asia, especially China. In the Philippines, however, they are ranked #3 behind Toyota and Honda.
    BTW, my wife is from Paranaque (south of Manila) and I have lived there for several short bouts in 2002 and 2005.
    I take it you're in Cebu (yeah I'm a genius when it come to deductive reasoning :P ). What do you do there if you don't mind me asking?
    The group of Mitsubishi companies are not divisions, they are separate companies, all reporting their own financials.
    Actually Mitsubishi stock is down 17% for the year (the entire auto sector is down for that matter).
    Mitsubishi could do better in Asia, especially China. In the Philippines, however, they are ranked #3 behind Toyota and Honda.

Yes Mitsubishi is losing ground even to Mazda in the Philippines which is really taking off with the Mazda 3 which is all over the place compared to Mitsubishi.
    But Mitsu is still selling their AUV's and those are really not up to par with the Innova nor the Revo before it, or the Tamaraw before that. Isuzu actually was selling a lot of their AUV's but I drove all of them and most were dog slow.

BTW, my wife is from Paranaque (south of Manila) and I have lived there for several short bouts in 2002 and 2005.
    I take it you're in Cebu (yeah I'm a genius when it come to deductive reasoning ). What do you do there if you don't mind me asking?

Actually my wife is from Cebu, We moved out of Cebu due to the massive growth there. It got so crowded and out of control that it was like Metro Manila but smaller scale.
    mango Ave (aka General Maxilom Ave.) is like EDSA most of the time. :sick:
    I left Cebu about 16 months ago. We are up in Pampanga now. There is work up here but it's best if you get it prior to coming to the Philippines rather than trying to get it while you are here.
    It's a shame about Cebu but it's barely recognizable from 2003 when I was first there.
    Mitsu had a lot of money put into their company to stay afloat. Lets hope it sticks this time. :)
    I could go off topic here with stories, something fierce... :)
    So instead I'll contact you via your CarSpace page.

Back on topic... EVO X... ummm... yeah... :P
    I could go off topic here with stories, something fierce...
    So instead I'll contact you via your CarSpace page.

Yeah it's easy to do when you have wives from overseas.
    I don't really use carspace tho, not enough time in the day. But email works well it's just
    stevecebu at yahoo dot com

Regretably;y I had to take the EVO off my list. The price being close to the 2006 model (or more) means I can buy one but then my wife would end up with a Hyundai or something. :(
    So I'm narrowed down to either a Mazdaspeed 3 a Mini Cooper S or a Civic Sedan Si.
    The EVO will spank everything but the Mazdaspeed.
    Problem is you really can't drift a FWD car not even the Speed 3 very well.
    The EVO will gladly do it at higher speeds.
    My wife wants to RallyX and I think the EVO is better and she says she doesn't care if she drives a Hyundai or a city car if we can buy the EVO. But I'm not too fond of the ultra cheap cars, no trade in value.
    Although I imagine an EVO loses money as people figure it's been raced, so they shy away from it.
    The EVO is going to stomp Subaru flat since they haven't done anything but cheapen the car. The STi will probably be the same way :sick:
    But $36K+ is a lot when you have to buy 2 cars within a month of each other.
    email me
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned... What about the Mazdaspeed 6? Is it too big and heavy?
    I guarantee you, the EVO will easily outdo the Mazdaspeed 3(stock-for-stock). As good as the MS3 is, it just can't match the grip and power of the EVO.
    Then again, you also spend $14k less and you will have lower running costs (just ask how much a new set of EVO tires cost - every 10k miles)... :sick:
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned... What about the Mazdaspeed 6? Is it too big and heavy?

It's being discontinued for 2008 and by the time I get back to the US no chance any will be leftover. Yes it is heavy but it's AWD. It's probably the best contender out there for the WRX but I think it's more sized to the Legacy.

I guarantee you, the EVO will easily outdo the Mazdaspeed 3(stock-for-stock). As good as the MS3 is, it just can't match the grip and power of the EVO.
    Then again, you also spend $14k less and you will have lower running costs (just ask how much a new set of EVO tires cost - every 10k miles)...

Yeah the EVO kicks some serious tail, but it is a world of $$$ more expensive and I'd rather my wife not drive a beater while I drive a new EVO and add to that her insurance rates being a new US driver. They will kill her on insurance. They'll nail me and I have a good record.
    The Mazdaspeed 3 is a good compromise but we both like the Mini Cooper S. The new Mitsu Concept with the EVO nose, diesel engine and AWD in a 4 door hatch looks like it would rock for us as well. Too bad it's only for Europe.
    The price of an EVO is too high figuring on 2006's prices and my wife want to know if we can drift a FWD car and I told her, not really! :sick:
    We want to start doing RallyX but I figure a beater for that would be best an older RWD or something probably GM and easy to repair.
    I'm still waiting for prices and release dates. The Mazda is top in it's class tho and has a spare tire which means a lot if you get a flat in the middle of nowhere. ;)
  • nwngnwng Posts: 664
    why don't you get a used impreza and work on it?
  • why don't you get a used impreza and work on it?

I prefer to buy new most of the time but we are thinking of doing RallyX when we get back and I have some inexpensive options in the RWD category.
    For me I'm probably going to pass on the EVO this time around $40K is not what I want to spend for any car.
    I'd rather buy a used one and work on it but parts can run into serious bucks as well.
    We need reliable daily drivers and I have to figure if I have room for a 3rd car as the driveway is long and narrow you couldn't fit a Hummer down the driveway for example and there isn't much room to move cars around when you get to the house. So one car in storage possibly but it would make plowing in the winter a nightmare as that's the only place to put the snow. I might look into some alterations but I cannot move the stonewalls around anymore.
    Just not enough room to park without cutting down trees and the like. I'll have to see when i get back, maybe if I could actually use the garage for a car.... :surprise: :blush:
  • isn't that what a garage is for, for parking a car? :blush:

It can be tough depending on how much stuff we all want to park in our garage besides cars, huh?

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• It can be tough depending on how much stuff we all want to park in our garage besides cars, huh?

Yeah tell me about it but my elderly aunt does not like to see cars in the garage and prefers to store wood for the fireplace in there. :confuse:
    But I will try and sort that out. For me a garage is where you store your car not your other stuff although most of my stuff has been stored in the garage while i've been out of the country for over 4 years. :shades:
    Women always seem to see any flat space as a table and any room that doesn't contain their stuff is a place to put more of their stuff. That's why we lose the garages to them. :sick:
  • The Current Evo has an RS model that starts at $28.6 MSRP, and you can get one off the lot for right around 28K I have checked, The new Evo will likely be priced very much the same as the current. Which means if you can live with a stripper missing things like power windows, the huge spoiler, a stereo ect, then it offers the best bang for the buck, and it's also the lightest of the Evo's.

The base Evo IX starts at 31.4K MSRP and even with the Special Edition package you can get one off the lot for around 32K.

The Evo is not a $40,000 car, Even an MR with all the options is currently going of the lot for under $35,000 if you bargain properly.

If that is still out of your price range then it is still out of your price range, and you will need to figure out what works for you.

There should be a Ralliart Lancer soon as well, Rumors are AWD and a turbo 4 making around 230 HP, priced to compete with the stock WRX, which would be around 24~26K I should think. For that matter there is always the stock WRX, and the MS 3, is a nice car, it looses to the Stock Evo IX by almost 1.5 seconds on a 0~60 sprint,( EST 4.6 seconds Evo and 6.0 seconds MS 3) and the 3 looses the handling war badly, but for the cost it's a very nice little car.

Oh for those who have yet to see someone leaked the JDM sales brochure for the Evo X it's out on the net, It looks like a range from 3150~3400 lbs, and a listed engine output of 276 hp and 311 ft lbs, keeping in mind the old 276 hp gentleman's agreement in the JDM market, I would guess 300 hp is the real figure. The worst news seems to be a weight gain of around 120 lbs for the heaviest version of the car, it's around 3280 lbs for the current Evo IX. And 120 lbs is not as bad as it might have been, seeing as the base car picked up just over 200 lbs.
  • The Current Evo has an RS model that starts at $28.6 MSRP, and you can get one off the lot for right around 28K I have checked, The new Evo will likely be priced very much the same as the current. Which means if you can live with a stripper missing things like power windows, the huge spoiler, a stereo ct, then it offers the best bang for the buck, and it's also the lightest of the Evo's.

For a 2006 model no way I'd go with an RS model. They are good but too much hassle for everyday use.

The base Evo IX starts at 31.4K MSRP and even with the Special Edition package you can get one off the lot for around 32K.
    The Evo is not a $40,000 car, Even an MR with all the options is currently going of the lot for under $35,000 if you bargain properly.

Correct me if I'm wrong but all of these are labelled as 2006 models which makes them 2 years old even if they have no miles on them. The depreciation I would take driving one off the lot at any price above invoice would be insane. Factor in that you lose $5-6K your first year and about $3K the next and the figures just don't add up. It's still a2 year old car for a new price.
    A Speed 3 is brand new and fast so a possibility but it's the AWD I like. For me Subaru has lost the plot and I won't be buying one.
    The new EVO is rumored to be under 40$K but for me $36K is not under $40K in car terminology.
    I think the new EVO X looks great, but I will need a car prior to spring of 2008.
    If I knew the prices of the EVO X it would help. What would also help is if the dealers wouldn't put markup on the car.
    I'm still a few months out from my trip back to the US but
    once i'm there I'll see about a deal on an older model if new and also check out the EVO X if it's available.
    A Speed 3 is not out of the question even tho I prefer AWD or RWD.
  • Correct me if I'm wrong but all of these are labelled as 2006 models which makes them 2 years old even if they have no miles on them. The depreciation I would take driving one off the lot at any price above invoice would be insane.

Evo's are a specialty car they go by model and not by year, and it's not uncommon for them to go well over a year on a model. So I guess they might be considered 2006's but that's more of an arbitrary designation with a car like this. The other good news is they are limited production, and the last good news is that they are sports cars, they do a pretty good job of retaining value. For instance if I do a used car evaluation on a 2003 Evo with 50,000 miles, in clean condition comes up with around $19K for private party sale. If I do the same with KBB it comes out to be about 21K. Some other cars like the RSX and the RX7 did amazing jobs holding their value as well.

It looks like prices will be about the same so baring massive dealer markups I would expect a normal trim Evo to be priced around 32~33K with decent equipment on it.

Failing that it's hard to say when the less powerful rumored to be AWD+Turbo Ralliart will be out, but I expect around 230 hp and a price of around 25K if it comes out, Also the new WRX non STi would be a good choice.

I just started the first good job of my life, and I am looking at these cars as well.
  • tiff_ctiff_c Posts: 531
    Evo's are a specialty car they go by model and not by year, and it's not uncommon for them to go well over a year on a model. So I guess they might be considered 2006's but that's more of an arbitrary designation with a car like this. The other good news is they are limited production, and the last good news is that they are sports cars, they do a pretty good job of retaining value. For instance if I do a used car evaluation on a 2003 Evo with 50,000 miles, in clean condition comes up with around $19K for private party sale. If I do the same with KBB it comes out to be about 21K. Some other cars like the RSX and the RX7 did amazing jobs holding their value as well.

I understand Steve's point you are still buying a car which is a 2006 model designation and that's all some people will care about when it comes time to sell it, also resale value is lower in the real world because many people fear the car has been beaten, raced etc.... and let's be honest, many have. ;)
    With pricing no way to know for sure until it's announced and that's probably a while off yet. I have an older Rex and it's a great car, but the Mazdaspeed 3 looks very tempting and I have a sedan and would like a wagon. I could drive the new model but I tend to steer clear of first year models. Maybe in 6-8 months they'll have any kinks worked out.
124»
This discussion has been closed.