Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MINI Cooper MPG-Real World Numbers

2»

Comments

• british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    18-19 seems rather low as I got about 25 mpg in a 2004 MINI Cooper S with a similar style although shorter distance commute.

Are you using premium?
  • morgan5morgan5 Posts: 13
    Yes, I'm burning premium, but leven so, the MPG really seems to go down when I'm running the AC.
  • Regular Mini. Not the "S" with the supercharger. As I posted earlier, the range is huge. The worst case scenario is in the 28 MPG range (bad weather, hot weather with A/C, starts and stops, very short trips, heavy on pedal) up to a 250 mile trip of 44.9 MPG without braking once and driving 50-60 MPG and no heavy accelerating. I think that's probably about the widest range anyone could produce with a Mini. Typical mixed driving will for sure be in the 30s, but high-30s is only likely with mostly highway driving, below 65 MPH, and good weather without A/C.
  • I have seen some postings regarding this but I will ask again anyway. I have only had my MINI for about a week. As I was leaving the dealer told me I should use 91 octane. It is not always available, so when I filled up for the 1st time, I asked the gas station attendant if I could use 92 octane. (I figured the higher the better!?) and they said yes, it really wouldn't matter. Since then when idling and at low speeds my MINI is really sputtery. Is this because of the 92 octane? What should I really use, despite what the dealer told me? I have heard different stories.
    Thanks in advance for any input.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    have seen some postings regarding this but I will ask again anyway. I have only had my MINI for about a week. As I was leaving the dealer told me I should use 91 octane. It is not always available, so when I filled up for the 1st time, I asked the gas station attendant if I could use 92 octane. (I figured the higher the better!?) and they said yes, it really wouldn't matter. Since then when idling and at low speeds my MINI is really sputtery. Is this because of the 92 octane? What should I really use, despite what the dealer told me? I have heard different stories.

It is not the octane causing the sputtering. Your Mini will run acceptably well even on 87 Octane gas, although the mileage will not be quite as good. My wife's 2005 Mini runs on 87 octane beautifully. I would guess you are running a poor grade of gas currently.

I would suggest using a different, name brand gas (ie, Shell or Chevron) for a few tankfuls and see how it performs.
  • ilovebatzilovebatz Posts: 1
    We took a stock mini (non-S) from Evansville, IN to the Pacific Northwest and back, about 95% hiway driving, 5500 miles, and achieved 39.5 mpg. We used premium fuel at almost every fillup, a couple times we used plus. Best tank was 45.5 mpg, worst was 35.0 mpg. Didn't keep track of which gas had ethanol. Speedwise we averaged between 65-75 mph for most of the trip. We thought about taking the CRV but took Mini instead. We did take out the backseat so we could fit our camping gear. It actually worked out quite well.

I was impressed.

Regards,

Harry Faulkner
  • ltqltq Posts: 28
    I have a Clubman S, which shares the manual with the Hatch. It clearly states that premium is highly recommended, but also that 87 gas will NOT hurt the car nor void the warranty. Read the manual!! The knock sensor takes care of the car. As to whether the extra price of 91 gas offsets the poorer (as reported) mpg from using 87 gas, I don't know *yet* .
    I am getting 33mpg real (measured by gas fills of 91 octane) in mixed driving (31 mph average on a tank) on the turbo Clubman automatic (the worst mpg configuration). But I've got a couple of years of gas-pedal training from driving hybrid cars...... this makes a BIG difference.
  • 08 Cooper MT...average 38-39 mpg, highway driving 42-45.5 depending on top speed. Have all season 15 inch wheels and when I switched for the summer for 16 inch runflat summer tires mpg dropped about 2 mpg...
  • tezzztezzz Posts: 15
    80% Hw 20% Local actual 31.8(Miles/Gal(pumped gas) on baord computer 32.4
    Avg. 75-85 M/H on a Hw
  • I have an '09 classic and the speedo is 10% inaccurate. My actual speed is 10% less than both speedos say. I am from Canada so the readings are in kilometres but the difference is still there. This also means that my odometer is racking up milege 10% in error as well. Contacted dealer and was told there is nothing that can be done. I checked my speed with my GPS unit, knowing that is accurate. Anyone else with this problem? Makes gas mileage figures better than they really are.....
  • My '09 classic has only 5000 kilometers (Canada) and the both the speedo in the tach and the large centre speedo say I am going 10% faster than I really am. I suspected an error so I checked it with my GPS. Contacted dealer and said there was nothing they can do. I explained that my odometer was also racking up kilometers faster than reality. My true mileage on this car is only 4500 kilomters. I believe the factory does this so when we check our mileage it appears to be 10% better than it really is. I am presently in discussion with the company to have the problem fixed. Anyone else having this problem?
  • I have an 08 MINI S and I just came back from my first service. I told the service advisor that my speedo reads 3-4 mph faster, depending on the speed, then I am actually going. I have checked via radar and my GPS. They said there is nothing they can do. I have the stock tires so this is not the problem. In fact they wrote on my service order that all of their cars, MINI's, read fast so as to avoid "traffic speeding." Needless to say I was, and am angry. I have owned many cars and trucks, including BMW, MBZ, Corvettes, and Porsches, and have never had a vehicle more than 1 mph off.
  • Yes, and I had the dealer give me crap three times on my 08 S. I also had the factory rep call me and he said that as long as it is within 10% of the real speed they are good to go. I have never had any other vehicle, Corvette, Chev, Pick up, BMW, or MBZ ever off more than 1 mph. This is crap!
  • I just picked up my 2009 Mini Hardtop yesterday and drove it 300 miles back home and got great gas mileage. The comp said 35.3 mpg and that was including all the in-town driving that the previous owner had already done with it. I'm going on a 600 mile trip in a week or so and will reset the comp before we leave to get a more accurate number. Oh, and this was all on regular gas too.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,859
    Give it time. Judging mileage performance on a first tank can be deceptive. Certainly that first 300 miles doesn't get you into your normal pattern of driving.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Oh yeah, forgot to mention I bought it used with 60,000 miles on it.
    Well it's certainly broken in then :P

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,784
    "My '09 classic has only 5000 kilometers (Canada) and the both the speedo in the tach and the large centre speedo say I am going 10% faster than I really am. I suspected an error so I checked it with my GPS. Contacted dealer and said there was nothing they can do. I explained that my odometer was also racking up kilometers faster than reality. My true mileage on this car is only 4500 kilomters. I believe the factory does this so when we check our mileage it appears to be 10% better than it really is. I am presently in discussion with the company to have the problem fixed. Anyone else having this problem? "

I seem to recall that Honda had to provide additional mileage warranties on one of their vehicles a while back, because it was reading the wrong speed, and therefore causing the warranties to run out earlier. There was a class action settlement. Do a google search on Honda Odometer Settlement.
  • adra21adra21 Posts: 3
    I've had this car for several years now and it consistently gets great mileage--I think the gas tank holds 13 gallons and I usually fill up when I hit 400 miles (am usually buying about 12 gallons of gas, to explain the math), but I've gone as far as 500 miles on a tank (all highway driving and making use of cruise control). Granted, I do a lot of highway driving, but I'm pretty happy with the mpg--just one more thing to love about my car.
  • puffin1puffin1 Posts: 276
    do you drive it in the snow? I have always wanted a Mini but, the horror stories about their transmissions have scared me away.
  • puffin1puffin1 Posts: 276
    Buy 1/.2 tank 89 octane and fill other half w/93 octane = 91.
  • jeffreyojeffreyo Posts: 1
    Puffin, the issues with the transmissions are largely confined to the CVTs. Get a manual, avoid the issues and have more fun driving.

About fuel mileage, I have a '04 JCW and have gotten as good as 39 mpg and as low as less than 6 mpg (the computer only goes as low as 6). It all depends on how you drive.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,529
    My MPG is very consistent...about 27 mpg in mixed city/hwy and 31 mpg was the best ever on the flats of Nevada. I have an S, 6-speed with modified supercharger pulley.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,683
    edited February 10

@MrShift@Edmunds said: My MPG is very consistent...about 27 mpg in mixed city/hwy and 31 mpg was the best ever on the flats of Nevada. I have an S, 6-speed with modified supercharger pulley.

Is your mpg still the same 2 years later? What's your 0-60 time?

In a few months, the new larger-size Mini will come out. And even with the standard engine it's supposed to go 0-60 in c. 7.5 seconds or less (auto or manual) while getting c. 30 mpg in the city and c. 42 on the highway. That's about 2 seconds faster with the standard engine than the 1st and 2nd generation of Mini, while getting significantly better mpg in a significantly larger car.

I wonder if they kept the size the same, kept the acceleration the same, kept the power the same, etc., what kind of mpg they could have achieved with a new engine. It might need to be only a 1.0 liter turbo, like Ford has put in the new Fiesta, and then it might get something like 45 mpg highway--or maybe even more.

But anyway, I think a larger Mini is actually a good idea, since it's not only more functional but also safer, and so can appeal even to people like me, someone who currently drives an Accord. In any case, I'm looking forward to some mpg reports for the new Mini sometime in the next 3-6 months.....

Maybe it's my head cold :)

At what point does a larger Mini cease being a "mini" heh

• ljmattox1ljmattox1 Posts: 9

I bought my MINI Cooper S in February, 2012.

My week's driving is about 375 miles, mostly highway, and I average 36mpg. Highest for a full tank was 38.7.

Now at 52,000 miles, very good experience with the car.

Good job on that mileage. I had a friend with a Mini who always complained about his Mini MPG, but always went on about how "zippy" his Mini was. Well, yea... drive it like a sports car all the time and there IS a cost for that ;)

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,529

People with the "S" model or JCW will get considerably fewer MPG than those with the normally aspirated engines, as a rule. So when you say "Mini" you really need to specify, so that you aren't comparing two somewhat different cars.

2»