Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Acura TL Lease Questions

CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Posts: 38,515
edited January 30 in Acura
Hi everyone. Please use the following discussion to post any questions that you have about leasing an Acura TL. Thanks.

Car_man
Host
Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums

Comments

• My old faithful Accord sustained some serious damage today after hitting a piece of steel that fell off a vehical.

It may be a total loss, busted oil pan and tore up the muffler, most unpleasant. So I may be moving along a little quicker then I had anticipated.

Everyone at work says it was Karma after test drove a TL last week!

I can do the math on a purchase, but I'd like to get some rough numbers on a lease in the DFW area.

Any help?
  • Why is the lease on the TL so bad?

36 Month
    12K annual Miles
    $605.06/month

New to the whole car buying/lease, so please explain. Looking at Audi A4 and BMW 3 series and their leases are more affordable. Please advise.
  • Here is the quote i got from acura dealer in NYC.
    MSRP $33,760/dest. charge incl.
    Selling around $30,800.
    42 months money factor .000230.
    Residual 10k miles, 42 months 55%.
    42 months lease - $437/tax. incl.
    Up fron costs - Bank fee $595+tax, first month payment $437 + motor vehicle around $90. Total out of pocket $1186. Does this sound like a good deal?
  • That number looks like the RL lease.
  • Your're very wrong here...RL lease is $599 PLUS about 2500 out of pocket.....Checkout acura.com
  • Sorry :), i've misread who you replied to :) ...yes over 600 is definetely a rip off for $31000 car
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    billyperks, I need for you to drop me an email as soon as possible - pat AT edmunds.com - thanks!
  • Pat or Car_Man,

Pls help me out, i am one foot into the Acura dealership :) ....dealer wouldn't budge for less than $437 with tax for 42 months..... :(
  • Clear to me leasing is not the way to .....
  • Sorry to hear about the damage to your old car, hostage46. I hope you at least saw the vehicle that the big piece of metal fell off of and held them accountable. Since you are not familiar with how lease payments are calculated, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment. I would be happy to give you an idea of what the car that you are interested in should cost to lease, but in order for me to do so I need some additional informaiton from you first. This info includes whether you want your car equipped with navigation, how long you want to lease it for, how many miles per year you need to be able to drive it, its full MSRP (with the destination charge added in), and an approximate selling price.

Car_man
    Host
  • Hello sks109. Always remember that the selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. If the Acura TL lease that you were quoted is based upon a high selling price, its lease payment is not going to be very good. This is a relatively expensive car to lease even if you are getting it for a good price because TLs sell well enough on their own that Acura does not have to provide any sort of lease support on them.

Car_man
    Host
  • Hey ozzynyc. You were quoted an excellent selling price for the TL that you are interested in. I looks as though it is probably very close to dealer invoice. Furthermore, the dealer that you are working with does not seem to be marking up your car's money factor any. This is also a good thing. Using the numbers that you provided, I come up with a zero down, pre-tax monthly lease payment of around $405. If you like the car, I don't see any reason not to pull the trigger on this deal.

Car_man
    Host
  • I have owned one car in the past, financed it for five years and paid it off. I am not trading my car in, I am giving it to my younger brother. I live in the Fort Lauderdale, FL area. I want to lease a 2005 TL with the navigation system. I don't have a lot of out of pocket money to put towards it. I have NEVER negotiated a lease before. I have learned a lot from the forums here, but would really appreciate any advice this forum could offer. I want to keep my lease payment as close to the $400 a month mark as possible. I am going in next weekend 9/24/05 to lease the car as I heard the end of the month is the best time to lease as sales people are more likely to deal since it’s the end of the month. One other factor is that my credit score is about a 658 (student loans from law school will do that!) I am not sure what effect that will have on the lease. I want to thank anyone who responds for taking the time to help out a first time leasor out.
  • I am looking at the 2005 TL, Automatic with nav
  • Many thanks Car_Man...

This car is 1000 times better than Murano in pretty much everythiing EXCEPT for the trunk space LOL....

I accidently sat in RL when i walked in the dealership and was glued to the gorgeous interior of that model. I have a 2003 TL now, and once sat in 2005 TL didn't have a WOW factor, but i think it's a great car...One thing that concerns me is the torque steering issue that some people have and some don't....I wonder if it's based on a certain production release, maybe there is a VIN category to avoid? Any info is appreciated...

Thanks!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,998
    The torque steer is most noticeable on manual transmission models.. Most automatic buyers claim they can't detect it....

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Car_Man,

They want $595 bank fee (+ TAX, there is tax on bank fee???), first payment up front and the motor vehicle fee of about $90 to transfer the plates or $171 for new plates...Is this reasonable with $405 + tax a month for remaining 41 months plus these fees? Thanks!!
  • When will the 2006 lease residual be available for the 2006 TL? I plan to lease a TL by Nov 1st when my current TL 2002 TL lease is up. (wife wants a new car every 4 years) I got a screaming deal back them and I hope to get a new TL close to invoice again. I remember the dealer giving me a new '02 TL in the fall of "01 because the residuals and better on newer cars.

Has anyone compared the lease pricing from an internet fleet leasing company that delivers to your door vs a dealer? I Google this and it brought up several car leasing companies. I was wondering if anyone has used any of these?

My dealer has already called me and asked me to come in and pick out another TL. I asked them since my 2002 TL type S is within a few hundred bucks MSRP of the new 06 TL non navi as well as the almost same invoice if I could get the same deal.
    They told me to come and and we will see. My current payment is $400 total.

Troy
  • Car_man, I am wondering if you can help me. I want to do a sign and drive lease on a new Acura--I am kinda torn between doing a 36 month lease, no money down, 15,000 miles on the two cars:

2005 Acura TL with 6 speed and Nav

2005 Acura RL

I drove both and loved 'em. The TL was sportier but the RL has AWD which is important here in Massachusetts. I got a high lease quote on both as the opening shot from the salesman. However, I stopped by a second dealer and the numbers for the two cars, while both still a little high, were coming closer together. The salesman seemed to imply that the RL would be close to the TL because of the $2,500 that Acura has in place right now for the RL. The dealer quoted me $637 for the RL (36 months nothing down but the first months payments and the fees) and $545 for the TL. I think he cranked the number up on the TL because he wants me to take the RL. How do these numbers look for a quote in Massachusetts? Shouldnt the TL be closer to $400+ per month? How about the RL. Any help you can provide would be appreciated; I've never leased before, but a colleague told me it's the way to go, as I like to get new cars every 3-4 years.

Thanks,
  • Welcome stgel01. Since you are new to the world of leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

Once you have checked these articles out, stop back and ask any specific questions that you have on leasing this car.

Car_man
    Host
  • You're welcome ozzynyc. kyfdx took the words right out of my mouth on the torque steer issue :). Thanks.

Car_man
    Host
  • Ozzynyc, Honda finance's current base acquisition fee for leases of Acura models is currently $595, which is right in line with what you were quoted. Having to pay this plus your car's first month's payment at lease signing is typical of a new lease. I am not sure how much your state charges for transfer fees or new plates though.

Car_man
    Host
  • Hello Troy. Acura has not published its lease program for the 2006 TL yet. It will not do so until they begin arriving at dealers. I've heard rumors that the '06 TL will not begin to hit lots until mid-October. It is difficult to say how much you will have to pay to get your new TL, but I suspect that you will not be able to get an '06 model at dealer invoice when it first arrives. Keep an eye on the following discussion to see how much other community members are paying for similar cars: "Acura TL: Prices Paid & Buying Experience".

Car_man
    Host
  • Hey mmcporter. I just replied to the identical post that you made over in the Acura RL Lease Questions discussion. Please check there for my response. Thanks.

Car_man
    Host
  • Car_man,

Thanks for the reply. Car_man,

For the TL, the MSRP is $35,100 plus destination of $570. I havent negotiated the pricing yet, but the invoice is $31,985 with the $570 destination. So I would say that I should be able to get the car for $33K without breaking too much of a sweat. Again, looking for 0 down except the first payment plus fees, 15K miles per year on a 36 month lease. Hope this helps. I will post the similar information in the RL forum on the RL.
  • You are off by 2K, the MSRP for the car is 33,100 + dest. (unless you mean you want nav @ $2k). You need to find out from the dealer what's the selling price is, EVEN if you're planning on leasing it. If they tell you they don't give out selling prices, tell 'em to go do something biologically impossible and move on to another dealer. Once you get the selling price, all you need is 2 more numbers:
    1. The money factor (banks rate that translates to interest rate) which is a set number that you can post here and we'll find out if they made it higher than it is.
    2. The residual value or %.
    Then caclucalting your lease payments is very easy. Good Luck!
  • see my earlier post above--car I am interested in is the TL 6 speed with NAV--$35K+.
  • What i said before still holds true. You need these 3 numbers, else there is nothing to calculate:
    1. Selling price of the vehicle
    2. Money factor that THEY quoted you (to see if it's real or not)
    3. The residual value of the car whether it's $ amount or %
  • Ok, pulled the trigger and signed a 42 months lease. $1070 out of pocket that includes $595 bank fee, first month payment of $436 payment (that includes 8.375% NY tax) and new plates ($170 in NY using a dealer). They gave me a break since i have 3 more payments and lower the payment to $1070....Overall, i think it's a great deal....Got antracite color with light silver leather...
  • I hope you got the Nav with that payment of $436.00.
This discussion has been closed.