Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura TL Lease Questions

Comments

• jimmyvegasjimmyvegas Member Posts: 6
    At the end of May I got the following from Power

08 tl base
    357 /mo tax incl
    1500 OTD
    36 mo 12 k mi yr

hope I responded quickly enough to save you the $1630!!!!! Perhaps the dealer incentives or rates have changed since then. Ask for the internet sales guy (I think his name was Jerry). You will get the best deal. I hunted all over LA and he was better than everyone.
  • ezielanskiezielanski Member Posts: 15
    I just returned my 06 RL last week. Wow,the best car I ever had and will probably never be able to do again. I'm looking for 09 TL base for 36-39 mo, 10-12 per, $0 down except for 1st mo and tags. I have a price for $549 inc tax. I'm thinking it's should be $500. but that would mean $2K off list. I have a relationship with the dealer after several cars and I think they're working with me to a point. When do you think they'll be discounting this car a little? I'd really like to do something before the AWD comes out. Because when it does, I'll be back up in the Nav package price range that I can't afford. That AWD drive should be unbelievable. It was in the RL. Any input would be appreciated.
  • tim69tim69 Member Posts: 4
    same here - I extended my lease for 1 month and paid extra tax upfront, like paying taxes twice. For $422 no money down I would probably stay and see what 's coming up. The only downsize is you have to pay tax upfront $35/mo without knowing how much longer you will stay with your current TL. Also AHFC allows to extend your lease no more than 2 times. I paid $247 for '05 Pilot and $17 extra tax, which is much less than I'm paying now for 08 TL Nav $459/mo plus $1345 out of pocket ( no good deals on leases after money factor doubled and residual dropped in September). But man, I love my TL!
  • chuckjrchuckjr Member Posts: 95
    Car man,
    What are the current terms on an 09 acura lease - Base model 3 yr 36K miles. Top tier credit.
    Thanks
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi Chuck. Here's the information that you're looking for. Honda Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a base 2009 Acura TL with 12,000 miles per are .00290 and 65%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its "Super Preferred" credit tier and pay a security deposit at lease signing.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • njalannjalan Member Posts: 70
    Hi privatepilot83: I need your help in figuring out a lease program for a 2009 TL AWD with navigation, which comes out early November. The salesman at a NJ dealership told me the MSRP would be around $43000 with possible discount of $1800 for a purchase. If the money factor is 0.00290 and the residual value is 65% for a 36 month with 12000 miles per year, what kind of monthly payment (with or without sales tax) would it be with up to $2000 down and with zero down?

Also, what is the best time to lease this car in terms of getting the best deal (now or later)? The TL AWD is an all new but unknown car (vs the front wheel well-known for many years) and I don't want to buy it now but would like to buy it at the end of the lease if it proves to be as good and reliable as the front wheel version.
  • drtraveldrtravel Member Posts: 395
    Use the following formula to calculate a lease payment:
    (Cap Cost – Residual Value) / Term = Depreciation
    (Cap Cost + Residual Value) X Money Factor = Interest
    Depreciation + Interest = Base Monthly Payment

In your case the cap cost is 43000-1800 = 41200 (zero down)
    Residual value is 65% X 43000 = 27950

So the depreciation is (41200-27950)/36 = 368.06
    and interest is (41200+27950) X 0.0029 = 200.53

Monthly payment is 368.06 + 200.53 = $568.59 plus TTL
    Your timely info on the leasing formula will allow me to go to my local Acura dealership to start the shopping/bargaining next week. However, I do not fully understand the interest computation in the formula. Since the whole car is worth $41200 in this case, why $27950 (the 65% residual value) is added before multiplying the money factor (0.0029)? Does the money factor require the addition of both numbers?

Deeply appreciate your formula.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    The formula is actually trying to get an average of the two numbers.. So, they are added together.

Dividing by two is already accounted for in the money factor, itself.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Your explanation/answer is short, sweet and to the point, thanks. I actually proved the formula to be correct after I sent my previous posting. As it turns out, the effective interest rate is 6.878% annually and is accurate to within 30 cents over 36 months.

Since the interest rate is higher than I expected I better do more shopping or wait a bit longer for a better leasing term.

Any advice on leasing the 09 TL AWD vs leasing/buying an 08 Infinity G35x AWD as inquired by Metalblaze on Posting #9853 (Acura TL prices paid & buying experience)? At 32500 plus TTL and 0.9% financing, it appears to be a good buy, does it not?
  • seekacurainfoseekacurainfo Member Posts: 13
    Hey Carman,

Can you let me know what the current lease deals are for November? I am interested in an 08 TL (any trim level) 10k miles 36 months, what is the current money factor, etc.

Thanks
  • rxkerxke Member Posts: 168
    Hi Carman

I am interested in a 2009 Acura TL AWD and possibly the AWD with the technology package. I have not been able to find the invoice price for these cars. When do you think they will be available? I would also appreciate finding out the Nov numbers for this car relative to money factor and residual value so I can figure out the correct monthly lease cost for the car. I live in NY(Westchester county) and would do a 36 month lease with 15K per year with zero down and the taxes included in the monthly payment. You have always been a great help in the past. This information makes negotiating with the dealers a lot easier. Could you also tell me the Nov numbers(comiong out soon) for the Audi 3.2 with the premium plus package so I can compare the cost of leasing between the two cars?

Thank you again for your help.

RXKE
  • gabbogabbo Member Posts: 35
    Not an actual new lease question, but to get some help.

Not knowing about these types of resources, I got fleeced on my 2005 Acura TL lease. Well the deal wasn't too bad, but I made a few mistakes.

Long story short, I got a 48 month lease with first payment due at $460 a month. Living in Texas I got stuck paying interest of the full car which increased the cost slightly. The big mistake I made was getting a 12,000 month lease. I ended up changing jobs and will probably be about 12K-14K over over when the car is due. The car is also with US Bank, which from what I read is notorious for being very hard on end of lease condition. My concern is I can get hit with about $2500-$3000 when the lease is due.

There really isn't any car I'm itching to get and am changing my mindset. I want to get out of the leasing two cars, so I am weighing two options.

1. Get out of the lease and by a late model used car a step down (like a Nissan Altima) for around 15,000, pay it off quickly and drive it till the wheels fall off.

2. Buy the TL and plan on driving it until the wheels fall off.

I can get out of the TL for 19,000 right now or $16,400 when the lease is up. I'd purchase it through my credit union for a very competitive (4%) rate. I keep thinking that I'll have to write a big check for the end of this lease (or roll it into a note) which seems like a waste of money. So I may be better off sticking with the TL. It has a few more miles on it, but I have no doubt it will run fine for 5 more years. I'd rather have the bells and whistles of the TL for 5 years than a stripped down Altima.

Does that make sense? Or would buying it be a foolish financial decision?

Also, I read on the site that there can be some flexibility at the end of the lease purchase price. The value for the TL seems fairly close to market. If US Bank thinks they will get less at auction, would they be willing to move off the contract residual price.

When I called about the purchase numbers today, they were quick to waive most of the fees. It seems like they were anxious to sell.
    I just leased an 09 TL with Tech. $39,500 w/splash guards, side molding ans wheel locks. 36 mo, 10K per yr, no money down for $539 per month. After visiting several dealers I finally pulled the trigger at Princeton Acura in New Jersey. Great place to work a deal. I felt I could have did a little better (I always feel this way after a large purchase), but I was tired of the numbers after a month of working it. Anybody that's done better I would like to hear.
    what were the lease figures? did they change from the october numbers?
    Congrats. I hope to pull the trigger as soon as my current lease transfer goes through. I've got one local dealer at $900 over and another willing to beat when i am ready. BMW is also looking super attractive although i liked the TL over the 328
  • lax29lax29 Member Posts: 42
    Are you saying that you have found a price of $900 over invoice on a 09 TL?
    yeah $900 over $32895. if you are LA in the area try Internet sales at Sierra Acura in Alhambra - not exactly west LA but he was willing to deal. In my calls there were a couple dealers willing to deal since there are probably seven dealers within 50 miles. Most were still at MSRP.
    Hey seekacurainfo. Honda Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Acura TL without navigation with 10,000 miles per year are .00290 and 51%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its "Super Preferred" credit tier and pay a security deposit at lease signing. When negotiating your lease on this car, make sue to take advantage of the $3,500 cash incentive that is available on it.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi rxke. I haven't seen the dealer invoice price for the Acura TL yet either. I'm sure that Edmunds.com will eventually have it, but I'm not sure when. Interestingly, I haven't seen the lease program for the 2009 Acura TL yet either. Honda is being pretty secretive about it, huh. I heard that there was some sort of special "introductory" lease program on the '09 TL, but I don't know what the money factor would be for it. I suspect that it would be better than Honda Finance's current buy rate standard lease money factor of .00290 (for consumers who qualify for its "Super Preferred" credit tier and pay a security deposit at lease signing).

Honda Finance's current 36 month, 15,000 mile per year residual value for the 2009 Acura TL is 62%. It drops to 59% for '09 TLs that are equipped with the Tech package.

As far as the A4 goes, Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Audi A4 3.2 Premium Plus Sedan with 15,000 miles per year are .00169 and 55%, respectively. This program is only scheduled to run through November 11th.

Car_man
    Host
    Car man did the MF change in November for the 09 TLs?

I am looking at an 09 TL base at 12k/yr for 3 years.

thanks. Also what did BMW's change to? 328i w premium 12K/yr for 3 yrs.

thanks,

chuck
  • gab2409gab2409 Member Posts: 20
    I was told today that my local dealership is agressively pricing its 08 TL's (w/ NAV) for leases (nothing down; sign and drive). I've created a spreadsheet based on the calculations on this site (which I'd be happy to email if anyone wants), and here are my numbers. this seems terribly low for a monthly payment, and was wondering if anyone could share where I am off:

msrp: $36,625.00 (msrp from this site)
    purchase: $30,000.00 (quoted from dealer)
    money factor: 0.0027
    residual: 0.65
    total: $23,806.25
    pmt - residual: $6,193.75
    pmt (3 yr): $172.05
    interest: $145.28
    total pmt: $317.33

total pmt + tax: $341.12
    I'd double check the residual of 65% in your calculations. An 08 without nav has a resid of 52% for 3yrs/36k miles. (This is as of last month)
    The 09 base has a residual of 60%
    ah, ok. where can I find the residual values?
    you can call a dealer, pose the question to car_man the moderator or just browse back in the threads to find the details regarding an 08 w nav. keep in mind that the numbers changed a bit over the past couple months.
  • olivioboliviob Member Posts: 23
    hey there gab, would love more info, been going back/forth w a dealer in so california, and more ammo the better. had my eye on a tl w nav lease, but they came back w 500/mo, which i know isn't at all true. can you send me info? jaredlsiegel@gmail.com. thanks!
  • rxkerxke Member Posts: 168
    Thanks car_man. You are the best. Thanks for the infor. I can guess the invoice price based on the MSRP/invoice of the base car and the price between the models(tech $3500+ and AWD $3500+) I am seeing that many of the dealerships have lots of base 2009 TL that do not seem to be moving fast and are therefore starting to deal. I am interested in the AWD model and the dealers do not seem to have alot at the moment but will have more within 2-3 weeks. I will keep you posted and if I need any additional info I will contact you again.

Thanks again for all of your help. You have made negotiating with dealers a lot easier.
    I'm a little confused about the residuals...I've read over the past couple of pages that the 09 residual is between 60-65%, and the 08 is between 50-51%.

what are the current numbers for a 12k/year, 25 month lease for the 08 and 09 TL's with NAV? perhaps I am getting confused with the different numbers for different mileage requirements.
    I just got a quote from the dealer that ended up being about $530/month with $1k down as the 1st payment and tax. the numbers he used were 49% residual and .0030 money factor, and it appears as if his purchase price was about $30.5k. thanks but no thanks, buddy.
    Hey Chuck. I believe that Honda Finance's November buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Acura TL Base with 12,000 miles per year are .00290 and 64%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its "Super Preferred" credit tier and pay a security deposit at lease signing.

I heard a rumor about some sort of special "introductory" money factors on this model, but I have yet to see anything in writing on it yet. Mention it to the dealer and see what they say. If you are able to find anything out, make sure to stop back and let us know.

As far as the 3-Series that you're considering goes, BMW Financial Services' November buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 328i Sedan with 12,000 miles per year are .00150 and 62%.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi gab2409. Chuck is right, the 65% residual value that you used is way too high. That's why the payment that you worked up looks so good ;) . Honda Finance's current residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Acura TL with navigation and 15,000 miles per year is 47%. This rises to 49% for leases with only 12,000 miles per year.

Using the prices that you mentioned in your post, an MSRP of $36,625, a selling price of $30,000, Honda Finance's buy rate lease money factor of .00290, and a 49% residual value, I come up with a zero down, pre-tax monthly payment of around $474 for this car.

Car_man
    Host
    You're very welcome, rxke :shades: . Most dealership lots have a ton of everything sitting on them. Consumers with cash or who can get financed should be able to get incredible deals right now.

Good luck in your negotiations. Let us know if you need anything else and make sure to stop back and let everyone know how things turn out.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey gab2409. I suspect that you are interested in Honda Finance's current 24 month residual values, because it does not offer 25 month leases. According to the latest information that I have seen, its current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2009 Acura TL with Navigation and 12,000 miles per year are .00290 and 70%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its "Super Preferred" credit tier and pay a security deposit at lease signing. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '08 model are .00290 and 59%.

Car_man
    Host
  • lax29lax29 Member Posts: 42
    Hi Car Man
    In your opinion, what is an incredible deal on a 09 TL TECH? 36,500??
    Thanks car_man.
    I spoke with the internet manager yesterday. What a difference a couple weeks and crap economy make. He's down from MSRP to $100 below invoice $32,795. Funny thing is that i started the conversation asking to pay $500 over. for 3yrs 12K miles the residual is 64% and he mentioned .00290 going to .0030 with no security. Comes out to $457 + tax.
    I received a quote over the phone from the manager of my local Acura dealership. Here is the summary:
    MSRP $42995 including $760 destination charge
    36 month lease based on $41900 purchase price
    12000 miles annually
    60% residual value
    0.00211 money factor
    First month $1820 including all fees
    $628 for the remaining 35 months

The deal for 10000 miles annually:
    61% residual value
    0.00211 money factor
    First month $1820 including all fees
    $616 for the remaining 35 months

Based on the above data I am not able to come up with the $628 (or the $616) monthly payment even with the 7% NJ sales tax. The manager declined to give further details but invited me to go there this Saturday when the car comes in. Right now he only has 2 base AWD in the lot.

Do you think this is a reasonable lease program? I value your input.
    Is it common for dealers to offer or have flexibility in MF? The .0021 quoted by njalan is much cheaper than what i was quoted in California on a base 09 TL.
  • 10sfan10sfan Member Posts: 136
    Received a lease quote on a 09 TL base , 3 yr/36K at $479.00 mo + Tax with $1,000.00 due at signing. Will be meeting with a few dealers in the area to secure the MSRP, Residual and Money Factor to fine tune this quote. If they continue to stack up in their lots as with all car dealerships right now, the lease price may become acceptable.
  • kingpcgeekkingpcgeek Member Posts: 1,051
    Dealers can markup the MF for additional profit. Most don't, but I have seen it done.
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
    $628 a month for a TL? You could lease a G35x which in my IMHO is a much nicer car for at least $100 a month less.
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
    I am closely watching the 2008 Infiniti G35X too. Do you mean the 08 G35x with premium and navi packages is better than the all new 09 TL AWD with tech package? If so, in what way, value or features or both?

The 08 G35x is $10000 less than the 09 TL AWD with tech. The lease payment should be much lower than $100 you mentioned. I would not pay $528 a month for 36 months for the G35X either.
    New money factors for 09 TL.
    I posted a question about the MF of .00211 that someone mentioned. Today the internet sales manager I have been dealing with called to tell me that the MF had gone down from .00290 to .0021. That saved me ~ $50/month
    We started this conversation five weeks ago at MSRP and $529 + tax now we are at $403 +tax

Picking up my silver 09 base on sunday.
    I said at least $100 a month cheaper, and yes that would be a G35x with premium and navi, even though for the life of me I can't understand why people pay outrageous sums of money for nav. The turn by turn talking nav on my Blackberry Curve works great for the one time a year I might need it.

Why would I choose the G or the TL? Way cheaper for a higher performance car and it looks a lot better, once again IMHO. I think the new TL's front end is butt ugly. The grill style that all of the new Acura's just aren't my thing.
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
  • 23109vc23109vc Member Posts: 218
    this is not a flame on Acura. I have an 07 MDX that I love. but let me say this, I recently bought a Porsche and have a whole new appreciation for driving.

I would serioulsy suggest that ANY of you who are looking at a new TL go test drive a boxster, cayman, 911, or even a BMW go drive a 3 series. you could easily pick up a used 3 series for less than what you will pay ona new TL and the car will drive so much better.

even as much as I love my MDX for the utility that it has - if I was in the market for a four door sedan - i'd buy soemthing more sporty like a 3 series.

i just bough a boxster and it is the MOST FUN CAR I HAVE EVER DRIVEN.

if you have to have back seasts... great. but if you can spare the back setas -0 listen to me. go test drive one. even a certified used one. mine was not brand new, it was used. and it is so freakin amazing I can't believe it.

this is not a flame on the TL. nice car, but if you haven't driven a sportier car than you are missing out.

the car market is sucking big time and you can get into a car that you would have never thought you could have.

screw buying a new TL. you coudl go buy a two year old 3 series, 5 seris, boxster, cayman - you name it. lowball the hell out of people and eventually someone will say yes and you will have a way nicer car.

you can't go wrong with a Tl -it's a great car, but it wil NEVER NEVER NEVER had the feel/handling of a Porsche or BMW. sorry.. i own both - so I'm not bashing, just giving you all a real honest opinion. i love both cars for diferent reasons. if you want to DRIVE and have FUN - it's not even close.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    So... to sum up.. a Porsche drives better than an Acura? Who would have guessed? ;)

Just kidding... congratulations on the Porsche!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• myonemyone Member Posts: 1
    I have driven the Porsche Boxster, it is not that great. Why are you even comparing Japanese to European? Take the TL SH-AWD and compare it with a BMW 3 series and I am sure you can tell which one is better? :-) Congrats on your Boxster anyways. My 911 is a great car, and for sure, I won't compare it with the TL SH-AWD, LOL
  • gator5000egator5000e Member Posts: 90
    kingpcgeek, I have not gotten to the local, and only, Infiniti dealership, but none of the lease deals, if any, are advertised on the main web site. Do you know of any lease deals on the G36x? Thanks.
  • mjf70mjf70 Member Posts: 5
    can you post your details as iam trying to lease a 2009 TL tech and my best quote is 750 down, and 575 a month whcih includes tax, selling price of 37366 and a MF of .0020 and 59% residual. tax is 9% as i am just outside philly. if you are getting 403 plus tax, for non tech is 450 realistic for tech miles are 15,000 per year for 36 months
    I don't think $450 per is realistic now , next year maybe. I just a tech with $850 down, 10K year for 36 mo. @ $530 per w/tax (10% in Jersey). I do think over the next couple of months you'll be able to pick up a tech for around $500-515 or so. If you can wait, you'll save. If you can't, and I couldn't, get the car and start enjoying it. you won't be disappointed. I got mine at Precision Acura in Lawrenceville, NJ. Great place but remember, they're still car salesman. you gotta work for it.
  • drtraveldrtravel Member Posts: 395
    Today the internet sales manager I have been dealing with called to tell me that the MF had gone down from .00290 to .0021.

A bit off topic, but do you know if they also changed the MF on the TSX?
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    Quoted this on AWD, Tech Package-
    36months, 12k miles
    1408 fees
    60 residual
    679 per month
    Selling price-MSRP (They wont come down)
    Acura got to be out of their minds for a car that competes with the ES350 and G35.
    I can lease a GS 350 for less than this.
This discussion has been closed.