Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura TL Lease Questions

Comments

• davidros11davidros11 Member Posts: 13
    does anyone know the money factor for the 08 tl :)
  • chuckjrchuckjr Member Posts: 95
    I picked up my 09 base yesterday. Took the new money factor of .0021 at $100 under invoice.
    Price - $32795
    $595 acquisition fee
    $819 drive off (first + DMV = no cap reduction)
    3 yrs (12k miles) at $411.25/month ($445 with CA tax)

I got home and noticed a ding on the trunk lid - called and they said they'd fix it.

Today the internet manager called to say that the special MF was only for the Tech and that it needed to be changed to .0251 Adding $11 in after tax dollars to the payment. When can you come in and sign the new papers?

I asked them to adjust the purchase price so that the payment stays the same, or if it has to go up then throw in the BS oil changes/tire rotation for the extent of the lease they tried to sell me or the scratch and dent policy. He said no.

I said I'd drop off the keys when i could (i worked 5AM until 8pm today and will do the same all week). He told me that I would be driving the car without a contract. Huh? What did i sign yesterday? What was all the DMV and transfer of title paperwork i have? I asked to speak with the GM and left a message. We'll see how it plays out.
  • gab2409gab2409 Member Posts: 20
    that seems a little shady to me. do you really think they would amend the contract if you were paying too much?
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    For $11? Wow, that Dealership is really desperate.
    The ball is in your hands, you have a signed leased agreement, they should eat that $11.
  • maltbiemaltbie Member Posts: 31
    I had a similar dealer SNAFU on my 08 TL lease this past August. Three days after the lease was executed the dealer called to tell me they needed me to execute a new lease because they had neglected to charge sales tax on the acquisition fee. They gave me a song and dance about how they would get in trouble with Honda and the state if I did not execute a new lease. They agreed to pay the sales tax and as the monthly payment was not changed, I had no problem in honoring their request.

You should stick to your guns on the $11.00. They can neither force you to sign a new lease or take your car away. Even if they have some legal basis to argue that the lease is not valid, they would pay far more in attorneys fees to litigate the matter than the $11 per month.

Your approach is correct. You should only agree to sign a new lease if the monthly payment stays the same. They can change the purchase price on the contract and should eat the loss.

Of course, they may not be so enthusiastic about fixing the ding or servicing other problems that might come up during your lease. Do you have another Acura dealer nearby?
  • ezielanskiezielanski Member Posts: 15
    Sorry Pal, I don't believe it. Unless someone else can sight a similar buying experience. Unless that "ding" is the size of a tire.
  • rxkerxke Member Posts: 168
    The dealers are complaining that Honda is not supplying them with enough AWD TLs. Some are only getting 5 per month but have 30-50 base models in stock. Some do not even have AWD TLs available to test drive. Consequently many dealers are not discounting the car. However, if you cast your net a little farther out(metro NY/NJ) you can find dealers who are willing to deal. Now some dealers who said they would not discount are now willing to discount $1000 or more off MSRP. The deal I made was $1145 off MSRP, zero down, taxes included in monthly payment, residual 61%, money factor .0051 (0021 is for different models and not all models), 36 months, 15K per year, monthly payment $599, delivery next week. If you are willing to wait dealers will become more flexible with their pricing.
    Car Man thanks for all of your help. You always make my car buying experience much easier.
    yesterday I got a call in the late afternoon from a random third person from Acura. He was matter of fact that i guess we screwed up and we need to re-write the lease so that the sale price comes down to keep the payment the same. When can we get new paperwork signed?

I never got a returned call from the GM or the internet manager.

They dropped off the paperwork and will be picking the signed contract up from my home while i am at work.

I will have to go back to them to get the ding fixed and if the internet sales manager wants to be a jerk he's the only one that knows about it.

They ended up eating $740

funny, I called another dealer on monday night in case i needed to return this one. They told me the MF was .0211 for a base and I was pissed. I told him that the other dealer quoted me that but had upped the MF. He said he would do some digging to make sure the .0211 was for a base and tech and call me back. This was at 8:30 monday night.

he never called back
    Is that the AWD with the tech or the AWD base?
    anyone know the current money factor for the base 08 tl
  • rxkerxke Member Posts: 168
    Hi. It was the AWD base (MSRP $38505 + destination) and not with the technology package ($3500 way to high. Invoice on that car AWD + TECH is 38812 + destination of $760 with an MSRP of $42,235 + destination). I am now hearing back from dealers who I told I already had a deal and not interested in $1000 off MSRP giving me offers of $1500 to $2000 off MSRP. The longer you can wait the better the deals will get. I know that dealers have indicated that you can get the base car (not AWD) for invoice or less because they have a load of them in stock just sitting. Good luck and have fun.
    Thats what I figured because the AWD TECH is leasing in the high six hundred range- no way I am going to shell that out monthly on a TL.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    You might want to give the new VW Passat CC a test drive! It looks amazing! Worth a look! The black looks very very upscale. Although itself is a new model too, but you can probably do better on it than the TL on a lease. It comes available with all wheel drive, navi, V6, or the 2.0T engine. Check it out! VW are alot of fun too!
  • whit5whit5 Member Posts: 65
    i do believe that price is what he payed, i was giving a price of $31,500 3 weeks ago at a dealer. But walked out cause i wasnt going to pay the $500 in DOC fees, it doesnt cost $500 to fill out forms for a car. So i left. I have also got many quotes from dealers for $32000 on the type-s 08.
    i think im going to wait till after thanksgiving to pull the trigger on a type-s, i do believe i can get the car for $31,000 or $31,200 with no doc fees.
    Oh and i was also giving a price over the phone on a type-s maccoron red at $30,700 in boston. (i hate that color tho) and dealer would not swap for another color.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi lax29. I haven't crunched the numbers, but dealer invoice plus the use of Honda Finance's buy rate lease money factor (.00210 for "Super Preferred" customers) is about as good as it is going to get on a 2009 TL right now.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    You're very welcome, chuckjr. I'm glad to hear that the dealer was willing to lower the price a lot more. I suspect that dealers are going to be cutting deals to the bone for a while to come. This is a great time to buy or lease a new car.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi drtravel. Honda Finance's money factor on the 2009 TSX is still .00263 for consumers who qualify for its "Super Preferred" credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi davidros11. Acura is not currently providing any lease money factor support on the 2008 TL. As a result, if you were to lease one through Honda Finance right now, you would have to use its standard lease money factor of .00300 (for "Super Preferred" tier customers who pay a security deposit at lease signing). When negotiating your lease on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $3,500 dealer cash that is currently available on it.

Car_man
    Host
    No problem, rxke. Thanks for the information about the AWD model. Yep, dealers always seem more willing to discount models as the model year progresses. Too bad that the clock is ticking on snow in your area with the cold weather that you've been getting lately :surprise: .

Car_man
    Host
    acura is not providing any leasing support right now on the 08 tls.
    as a result, i was thinking about leasing through us bank. has anyone had any experience with us bank? do they hit you with fees if you trade the car in etc etc?
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Well, I got an offer of $494 on a Tech TSX, with $0 down. Just first payment due, 12k miles a year. Now, the other post stated they got a base TL for $411 with $819 drive off. Now is there something not right about the TSX deal? Since the cost of the Tech TSX is a few 1k, lower than the TL, so am I missing something? Shouldn't the TSX deal be lower??

When you have not signed the lease contract, most of the time you have a little wiggle room, the ball is in your court. They sometimes make you feel so pressured, that you sign just to be over with it. I wish I would have slowed down a bit when I had a situation last Spring. Seeking all options before signing. But, this dealer I delt with was very nice, They didn't have to go this far. I guess I should be thankful they helped me. However, I was never happy to be in the car I am in now. Oh well, its a car. A lease, heck, I have already had it nearly 9 months. WOW! It does go by fast. A little over 2 years to go, but I do not plan keeping it that long..lol.

Also, I am really disappointed too in the car, as I never really felt I got a fresh, new car, as when I later found it had a ding on the right side (I NEVER park near any cars) its not from me, the scratches on the rear bumper that they "buffed" out are back, the paint job had a bunch of swirl marks all over. Not able to get them all out even with multiple wax jobs. I hate swirl marks! Also there are very very faint dings in the driver door, so faint, you need a special circumstance to see them, very minor, not even dings but slight push in's, in the sheet metal. Now, I know this can be done all before signing, so this is partly my fault. I did inspect, but perhaps, I should have waited for a fresh car off the truck. Its too late, no way they'll believe me about the dent, now I think I get 1 free dent. I might get that fixed. Along with a rattle in the dome light, driver seat is loose, vanity mirror fell off.

After I leased the car, I called the dealer, told them I didn't want it, TOO LATE!
    Oh well.

Verdict! Inspect the car, inspect the contract, heck if you need a day to think before signing than that is more than fair. Its a big deal. Do it, the car will still be there, if not, there is one to follow. Don't let them pressure you, or walk!
    The VW dealership is about 5 minutes from my house, saw the CC- not intrested, but thanks for the recommendation.The Acura dealers will probabaly start to come down on prices late January early February- I am in no rush to accumulate more debt right now.
  • gator5000egator5000e Member Posts: 90
    Happy Thanksgiving, all. I received a quote today a 2009 TL Tech. Based on a $39,445 MSRP, selling price $37,868; money factor of .00211 and residual of 61%. 12,000 miles for 36 months; Upfronts are $1,688 (doc fees are $599) including first months payment. Total payment is $623/mo including tax.

I know this is high, but I was wondering if there was any play in these figures. I am sending this from my pda so I can't tell what invoice is an whether the selling price of $39,445 is a decent price, so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
  • lax29lax29 Member Posts: 42
    Hope its not too late, but you can do better. Just rec'd a quote from a dealer that I had been dealing with. Offered 36500 for the TL w/TECH. I really do think that if I counter offered 36000, he would do it. Personally I am holding off until Jan/Feb to see if they start getting dealer cash back. The Acura manager mentioned that there was no cash back yet. But, by the way he said it, could be coming soon.
    For a TL AWD TECH-
    One dealer offered me $500 off sticker another $1000, then I told another dealer that I am willing to bargain from invoice, he told me that this is not the car for me.
    I am just laughing to myself, no way on earth I am going to fork over 42K for a TL, I would rather bite the bullet and get a left over GS 350 for under invoice.
  • lax29lax29 Member Posts: 42
    No, was responding to GATOR about the TL (TECH) only with the msrp of 37445. Sorry not the AWD/
  • ceg1ceg1 Member Posts: 11
    Is this a good deal? 36 months, 12K, $700 due at signing, $540 per month (this is rolling in two remaining payments of $626 from my current lease)? I have 2 dealers, and both quoted this same exact deal.
    Don't sound bad, but two questions. Is old lease with Honda? If so, I wouldn't be paying it. And, do you want the car now? Unless dropping down to some big incentives come out after the first, I can't imagine the TL/T coming down to $500 per until mid next year or so. But with two dealers quoting the same #s, there's your chance to play them both for $525-530. With Christmas coming, the end of the month comes early in December. Use it.
    Hi ceg1. The best way to evaluate this deal is to look at the selling price that the lease payment is based upon. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Without this number, it is difficult to tell how much of a dealer discount you are being given. Let us know what it is and I'm sure that either myself or another knowledgeable community member will be happy to tell you what they think.

Car_man
    Host
    Car_Man--The dealer said he is selling me the TL-Tech (with protection package) for $36,196.75 (plus rolling in $1252, which are my remaning two payments to Infiniti, for a total of $37,448.45 (+TTL). The dealer says MSRP for this car is $39,445 (+TTL).

Does this help? Am I getting a good deal? I really don't want to go back and forth between two dealers. This is the best deal that the closer dealer is going to give...I have asked..asked and asked again. Your thoughts are appreciated.
    My current lease is with Infiniti. I don't need the car now--I could wait until Feb., when my current lease ends. However, unless the TL is going to get a better price in 2009, rolling in my two payments vs. keeping my current car and paying them myself is only really a $80 ding to me, so not major. Thoughts?
    I'm thinking if you tell the dealer, because of the $$ you'll wait until Feb, he'll work it closer. Take the $1250 off the TL deal and you gotta save $35-40 per mo .And there's no way you'll get it now for that much. There's extra $ in there somewhere, maybe in the buy back for your car. So the dealer is going to want to sell you now. He knows if you wait, chances are it's not going to be for his benefit. I understand why you want it now, I should have waited too. But I couldn't, and I know I they'll be cheaper out there next year. So if you can't wait and won't mind knowing that 2-3 mo from now the deal might be $20-30 cheaper, do it. But if it'll bother you wait, and who knows maybe you'll be buying the AWD . If you buy it, drive by and honk the horn. Good luck.
    I was told by one of the dealers that Dec is the best Acura is going to get on the TL and in early 2009, the deal will be more. I realize this may be total BS, but it seems like a dice roll. This dealer, as far as dealers go, seems pretty honest and he won't come off 540 with 700 down. I looked at a A4 with Prem Plus and Audi matched the TL deal and may go lower, but I like the TL better.
  • automan999automan999 Member Posts: 9
    Two questions car_man

1- What is the Dec. money factor on the TL & TL/Tech, Nov was 0.00211, & res which I think was 62% in 15M?
    2- What are the same numbers on the AWD, No-Tech

Also ceg1, if you use Nov. numbers your payment shoud be about 515+tax, and that is using 15,000 per not 12,000.
  • ronbarsronbars Member Posts: 11
    Hi all,

I'm looking to lease a 2008 TL Type S. The dealer has agreed to a selling price of $32,299 but they're telling me the lease payment with $1000 to start will be around $720 for a 36 month lease with 15k miles per year. Does anyone know what the current residual on this car with a 36/15 lease is? Also, any idea of the money factor through American Honda FInance?

By my math, the residual must have dropped a LOT since August when my friend leased an '08 Type S for $1700 out of pocket and a payment of $451 with (6%) tax in on a 36/10 lease. Looking at his contract, the gross cap cost of his car is a tad more than $1000 higher than the $32,299 figure I was quoted. I know I'm using more miles, but sheesh...

Thanks for any help to de-mystify the situation...
  • ronbarsronbars Member Posts: 11
    I asked for the MF and residual and the story changed. Somehow we went from $720 (never did get the figures this was based on) to $590 based on $1000 out of pocket and they of course "reminded" me of the $695 acquisition fee and $699 dealer fee (he called it "miscellaneous fee"!!) when I plugged int heir MF and residual and asked what the REAL selling price was (the math never lies). I counteroffered $540 based on the math without those two bogus fees. We'll see how badly they want to sell a car.
  • toyoman8toyoman8 Member Posts: 114
    Ok guys I got an offer on 2009 Base model for 36mos12k +$3000 cash down total for $399 I think it's a hell of a deal. What do ya think guys?
  • drtraveldrtravel Member Posts: 395
    the $695 acquisition fee and $699 dealer fee

Just review some of the lease deals at Acura.com - no mention of the added dealer fee and the acquisition fee is $595 so they are marking it up. The dealer fee is an add-on otherwise know as extra dealer profit.
    you did not mention the selling price. If the selling price isn't within a few hundred of invoice then it's not a good deal. The rest is just math.
    With $819 down on 3 yr 36k I am at $412 so there is no way that with $3k down it's a good deal.
    Really CHUCKIR on a base model 2009 TL $412 tax included? I don't know the selling price at this point. I told the dealer that I changed my mind about getting a new car and he just send me a $400 a mos quote for a base model.
    No $412 is before tax but since the tax consequences on leases vary from state to state they were not included.
    I pay $446 after tax for an 09 base but there was a mixup with the money factor so i actually got the car at $800 under invoice (dealer's fault). Even without the mixup the payment would have been $453 including california tax with $819 drive off (no cap reduction just DMV and first payment) at $100 under invoice with a $595 doc fee.

Just ask them how much they are selling the car for - call the internet sales manager and he will usually tell you straight out. The rest is based on figures set by your credit and Honda Finance
    I am offered $399 tax included, so it is a good deal then? I will let you know tomorrow on the price. It must be below the invoice.
    If they are asking for $3000 of your money then the simple answer is no. What you are doing with the extra $2200 is paying down your monthly payment. If I had paid down my payment by an additional $2200 ($3k-$800) my payment would have been around $350.
    Invoice on the base is $32895.
    well lets calculate:
    MSRP 35,715
    Invoice $32,895
    Residual 64% right? Not sure
    MF .0029? not sure
    Texas Tax 6.25%
    $3000 down total
    . Acquis Fees $550,
    T&L +doc's $200

Payments ???? 36mosx12k lease
    I get $430 a mos using those numbers. SO if the numbers are correct it's a good deal right.
    One thing I don't understand, in my calculator it says the total tax $2,000, I thought the tax is calculated on a lease only on what you finance not the Sell Price. was I wrong?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,570
    Texas taxes the entire selling price on leased vehicles.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Here is some additional info. for someone to weigh in on my lease proposal: residual is $24,061.45.
    Is this is a good deal in Dallas, TX:

$540 month (includes rolling in last two Infiniti payments of $626 each)
    12 K miles
    $700 down
    TL-Tech with protection package
    The dealer said he is selling me the TL-Tech (with protection package) for $36,196.75 (plus rolling in $1252, which are my remaning two payments to Infiniti, for a total of $37,448.45 (+TTL). The dealer says MSRP for this car is $39,445 (+TTL).
  • dimariadimaria Member Posts: 44
    Just got a call from my local Acura dealer and he stated that American Honda just changed the MF for the 2009 TL and TL-Tech.

The new MF for the TL is .00197 and the MF for TL-Tech is .00165.
    The residual seems to have stayed the same.
    For 10,000 miles its TL is 65% and for the TL-Tech is 62%.

This should bring down the lease prices
    How should this new MF affect on December deal? Here is what I have had quoted thus far:

$540 month (includes rolling in last two Infiniti payments of $626 each)
    12 K miles
    $700 down
    TL-Tech with protection package
    The dealer said he is selling me the TL-Tech (with protection package) for $36,196.75 (plus rolling in $1252, which are my remaning two payments to Infiniti, for a total of $37,448.45 (+TTL). The dealer says MSRP for this car is $39,445 (+TTL).
This discussion has been closed.