Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier Audi A3 Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi flyfish23. The residual value that you were quoted looks about right, but you're correct the money factor that you were quoted is indeed too high. Audi Financial Services' current buy rate for a 42 month lease of a 2010 A3 is .00028. Make sure to insist that the dealer uses that factor to calculate your car's payment.

I am not personally all that familiar with what the market is like for the A3 in your area right now, but I would be very surprised if you couldn't do better than full MSRP. Between the high selling price and the marked up money factor, I personally would want to shop around to see if I could find a different dealer to work with if I was in your situation.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • flyfish23flyfish23 Member Posts: 57
    Hi Car man:

What are the residuals for the A3 Quattro at 36, 39 and 42 months with 12 and 15k per year?
  • oli1oli1 Member Posts: 33
    I am interested in the A3 TDI, but worried about reliability. Would I be better off leasing or purchasing?
    Here's the information that you're looking for, flyfish23. Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 A3 2.0T Premium quattro with 15,000 miles per year are .00062 and 50%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 39 month lease are .00082 and 48%. This car's 42 month numbers are .00082 and 46%.

If you were to lease it with only 12,000 miles per year, its residual values would be 2% higher.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi oli1. One of the advantages of leasing is that as long as you are not over mileage and don't have any excess wear and tear you can just walk away from your vehicle at lease-end for free if you're not happy with it. This feature comes in handy with vehicles that have been in serious accidents. Even if it a vehicle has been repaired properly, an accident is going to take a serious toll on its resale value. On a lease, the bank has to absorb that hit, not the lessee. The same goes for problem vehicles that don't quite qualify for the lemon law. If you are afraid about the reliability of Audi's TDI engine then you may be better off leasing.

Car_man
    Host
  • eurocar3eurocar3 Member Posts: 1
    Offer on Audi A3 premium quatro with bluetooth package, heated seats and metallic paint. I have $500 audi loyalty and live in Michigan (sales tax 6%) 12000 miles per year for 3 years
    MSRP 33250
    Selling price 31997

Payment at deal $ 1369 includes $500 loyalty
    Monthly payment 467
    The numbers they use are residual 0.52 and rate 0.00093
    Does not include audicare

The rate seems high. Is this a decent deal
    Thanks
    Hi eurocar3. Let's take a look at this deal. The dealer invoice price for the car that you described is $30,982. That puts the selling price that you were quoted at around $1,000 over invoice if the $500 loyalty cash has not already been taken into account and $1,500 over if it has. If you are in an area that has a decent level of competition, I would not be surprised in the least if you were able to negotiate a price more like $500 to $750 over invoice.

Also, the money factor that you were quoted for this car is way too high. Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor for a 36 month lease of a 2010 A3 2.0T quattro Premium is only .00043 for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier. Make sure that the dealer uses this factor to calculate your payment.

Car_man
    Host
  • jp540jp540 Member Posts: 1
    Hello Car Man,

I'm looking to lease an A3 with a MSRP of $32,675 in California. Currently, Audi has a 10,000 mi/yr, 39 month lease special running on this car for $399 a month with $999 down.

My questions to you are:

1) If you think it would be reasonable to get this car for around $360 a month with 12,000 mi/yr?

2) Does a 12K vs 10K annual mileage affect the depreciation and lease rate structure? More so than just a tacked on extra $X amount per month?

3) Edmunds says the invoice price of this car is $30,448, though one dealer is telling me it's $31,069. Think there is any truth to this??

Thank You for your help.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    12K vs. 10K lowers the residual by 1%.. That will add about $9/mo, to the lease payment...

As to your first question, the lease you propose would result in a selling price of $1900 less than the advertised special.. Don't know if that's reasonable or not...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Hi jp540. Manufacturers' official advertised payments definitely usually leave a little meat on the bone in terms of the selling prices that are used to calculate them. The problem is that they don't include sales tax and they are usually for lower mileage allowances than most people drive. Once you switch the advertised lease to 12,000 miles per year and ad CA's massive sales tax there's a good chance that you'll be right back at the advertised payment, or even higher even if you are able to negotiate a lower selling price.

Switching from 10,000 miles per year to 12,000 miles per year lowers Audi Financial Services' residual value percentages by 1%.

I suspect that Edmunds.com has the dealer invoice price correct and that the dealer you spoke with is adding some sort of fee or fees to arrive at the higher price that they mentioned.

Car_man
    Host
  • westoftownwestoftown Member Posts: 3
    Hi Carman,

I've got an '08 A3 2.0T with a lease that expires in mid-November. I've just spotted a 2010 A3 TDI Premium Plus with the convenience package, cold weather package, and Bose for $31543. Could you tell me the current residual rate and money factor for A3 TDIs for 3yr/36K leases? Is Audi running any customer loyalty program right now? Does Audi ever buy you out of an existing lease to get you into a new one, or should I expect to pay several month's worth of duplicate payments? Thanks for the help!
    I'd be happy to help you out, westoftown. According to the latest information that I have seen, Audi Financial Services' July buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 A3 TDI Premium Plus with 12,000 miles per year are .00174 and 51%, respectively. That residual value is definitely right, but the money factor might be old and off slightly.

Audi is currently running a loyalty program on the 2010 A3. It is providing $1,000 on purchases and $500 on leases to current owners and lessees of its vehicles.

A number of manufacturers run official early lease termination programs from time to time. While it's possible that Audi has such a program right now, I have not heard anything about it if it does. Chances are that you will be better off waiting until the scheduled end of your lease to get something new.

Car_man
    Host
  • nebatuganebatuga Member Posts: 9
    I'm really curious about how Audi handles early lease termination when you pick up a new Audi lease. I'm about half way into an A3 lease through AFS. When I had the car in to the dealer for service, I was browsing the showroom. A sales person came up and told me that it's no problem to turn in a car early, as long as you sign a lease on another Audi. He made it sound as if there were no penalties. They simply evaluate the market value of your current car, do some calculations, and voila!-- "here's what we can do on a new lease." He also said the "sweet spot" for market valuation of your current car is likely around the two year old point. I didn't get the specifics from him, nor am I able to find any information about how this process works. Anybody know?
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Check your lease for the residual. Then add up all your payments as if you put zero down. Check trade in values for your model and see if there is any equity. I doubt there is so you will be charged for the lease buyout. Have them run the numbers and don't forget you will lose the sales tax on the current a3 and be recharged for tax on the new one. Unless you are having problems with your current a3-- why even consider a swap unless you can save on the payments big time.
  • nebatuganebatuga Member Posts: 9
    Thanks.

How do you figure "equity," provided the three figures you reference in your post?

No problems with my A3. Really nice car. I like it just fine, but I haven't loved it (as I did previously leased A4s). I wouldn't have even considered trading, but the sales associate made it sound pretty easy. I figured if it's not too costly, I'd look into it. Obviously, I know that paying for the remaining payments (all 21 of them!) is too costly. But if there's no penalty for moving from one Audi lease to another, and you can roll into a new lease (or pay cash up front) a modest difference between whatever two values they use to determine a deal, then it might be worth considering. My suspicion is that it would be a pretty costly move, or more folks would do it.
    edited July 2010
    With 21 payments left, you will be penalized. To figure equity look at the residual value and add what you owe in payments. Then compare with the trade in values on various sites. If the trade in price is more than what you owe, you have some equity. I don't think the dealer is that hot for your A3 but you never know. Would wait until just a few months are left -- then test the waters.
  • caswil55caswil55 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    Hello,
    I am looking into buying a 2011 Audi A3 Quattro, with cold weather package and bluetooth in Colorado. I don't know if I am getting a good deal or not!

Price of Car: $33, 625 (same as invoice- but I haven't even seen the invoice, as the car is currently being shipped from Germany)
    Monthly payment including 4.75% tax: $492 (15 k miles on 36 month lease)
    Money factor: 0.00129
    Residual: 57% 19,166

These were not included in the lease payment:
    Acquisition fee: $625
    Dealer fee: $399
    Audi care: $790

They seem very reluctant to go down on the price- I think they will drop it to $33,000 because they were trying to charge for some fancy tires that I didn't want.
    I don't know if they are reluctant because they don't import too many basic A3's or because this car is a new 2011, or because I am a woman!
    I have excellent credit, so maybe I could bargain them down on the money factor, the residual value, or overall cost?!? Or should I just accept it and take it as is?
    What was the msrp ? The money factor and rv are set. You can negotiate the price of the car but if they are selling at invoice then that isn't bad. If you only need 12k miles per year the rv should improve by 2% to 59. The dealer fee seems high so I would ask for the Audicare to be included free to seal the deal.. Then sit on it awhile. Say you have other rides to evaluate. You could always offer to meet halfway on the $790 if you haven't found something else. A3's aren't the best leases but this one doesn't seem too bad -- 492 including taxes with 1800 down + first payment. You could save a bit by going with fwd. The awd system on the A3 is fwd biased anyway so it stays there except in hard acceleration. You will do fine in winter with fwd. Something to consider.
  • westoftownwestoftown Member Posts: 3
    Hi Car_Man,

Do you happen to know the current residual value and money factor for 2011 TDI Premium and Premium Plus?

I'm also looking at a gently used 2010 TDI Premium w/ roughly 10K miles on it. Any idea why this car would be priced $500 over invoice for a brand new 2011, when it's a used 2010? Seems crazy.

Thanks much!
    I certainly do, westoftown. Audi Financial Services' August buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 A3 TDI Premium with 15,000 miles per year are .00179 and 58%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '11 A3 TDI Premium Plus are .00179 and 54%.

The used A3 that you're interested in sounds as though it is way too expensive. I generally find that people who try to sell low mileage used vehicles underestimate the significant depreciation that new vehicles experience the moment that they are driven off the lot. I wouldn't bother purchasing a used A3 unless it was significantly less expensive than a similar brand new one.

Car_man
    Host
  • plmguyplmguy Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    I am in Southern California and spent the better part of today negotiating a lease deal with a dealership in Texas. Car is an A3 TDI Premium Plus. Finally passed off to finance and he has different numbers than I have seen. For a 2011 TDI Premium Plus, I am used to seeing .00179 MF and 51% MF. But, he is sayin 53% Residual (I'll take it) but a MF of .00249. When I said whoooa! to the MF his claim is taht every region is different, and that is why TX can be different than CA. I did confirm that finance is going through Audi. Also, he stated that rates will change tomorrow. Any truth to differeng MF's by State or Region? Also, can anyone post the new numbers that may be out tomorrow (September 7)? Thanks.
    Hi plmguy. I don't believe that Audi Financial Services' lease program varies by region.

AFS' new September buy rate lease money factor and residual for a 36 month lease of a 2011 A3 TDI Premium Plus with 15,000 miles per year are .00171 and 54%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • capplacappla Member Posts: 29
    Hi Car_man,

Do you have the money factor and residual values for a 36mo/15K mile lease for the 2011 A3 TFSI automatic transmission for both the Premium and Premium Plus models?
    I sure do, cappla. Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 Audi A3 Premium FWD with 15,000 miles per year are .00035 and 55%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '11 A3 Premium Plus FWD are .00035 and 51%.

Car_man
    Host
  • mwahlertmwahlert Member Posts: 101
    what is the MF and residual on the 2010 and 2011 a3 2.0t quattro premium plus?

15k 36mths

thanks!
    Hello mwahlert. Audi Financial Services' October buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 A3 2.0T Premium Plus with quattro and 15,000 miles per year are .00090 and 52%, respectively.

I don't believe that Audi is leasing 2010 A3s any longer. If you really want one, you can either finance it at 1.9T for 5 years or take advantage of $1,500 dealer cash.

Car_man
    Host
  • coldrainnsnowcoldrainnsnow Member Posts: 1
    We have asked a local dealer (Oregon) to prepare a lease offer for an A3 premium plus TDI. Below are the brand new rates from Audi website for the gas model. Since we haven't received info from the dealer yet, might you have access to the TDI rates?

Also, would appreciate advice on how the steps for negotiating a lease. We are looking for a 12K limit, approx. $3000 down. Thank you.

2011 A3 2.0T FWD Premium
    Security Deposit $0
    1st Month Payment $0
    Acquisition Fee $695
    Down Payment $299
    TOTAL DUE AT SIGNING* $994 (Excludes taxes, title, other options and dealer fees)

*42 month closed-end lease offered to qualified customers by Audi Financial Services (AFS) through participating dealers. Must take delivery by January 4, 2011. Rate based on MSRP $32,725 of 2011 Audi A3 2.0T FWD Premium Plus equipped with automatic S-tronic transmission, Open Sky systemOpen Sky SystemThe dual-pane Open Sky roof system features a power front pane that opens back to the fixed rear glass, offering a panoramic view for driver and both front and back passengers in the A3.Open Sky System and destination charge. Purchase option at lease end for $16,363.

Advertised lease offers require dealer contribution; final negotiated price may vary by dealer. Lessee responsible for insurance, maintenance and repairs and may have some financial liability at lease end. Lessee responsible for $0.25/mile over 10,000 miles per year and a disposition fee of $350 due at lease end. See dealer for details.
    Hi coldrainnsnow. Audi Financial Services' November buy rate lease money factor for the 2011 A3 TDI is .00162.

The easiest way to get a good deal on a leased vehicle is to shop around for the lowest possible selling price and then have the dealer that you decide to go with calculate your vehicle's monthly payment using its buy rate lease money factor.

Car_man
    Host
  • agordon212agordon212 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2010
    Can you tell me the money factor and residual for an 2011, A3 4dr HB S tronic 2.0 TDI FrontTrak Premium Plus with Navi for a 42 month lease?

Is there a difference if I skip the diesel, and get a 2011 A3 4dr HB S tronic 2.0T FrontTrak Premium Plus with Navi for a 42 month lease?

Thank you very much!
  • robertroserobertrose Member Posts: 1
    I am currently going to lease a 2011 Audi A3 premium plus for 36 months with 15k miles per year.

With a selling price of the car being $33,500 how much money should I be looking to pay for total due at signing? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Robert
    Here you go, agordon212. Audi Financial Services' November buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 42 month lease of a 2011 A3 TDI FrontTrak Premium Plus with 15,000 miles per year are .00182 and 49%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '11 A3 non-diesel Premium Plus FrontTrack are .00036 and 46%.

Car_man
    Host
  • dmack411dmack411 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for this great service.

Taking a last minute look at the advertised A3 lease special. Live in Northern California.

Details are for an Audi A3 Premium plus model with $994 down plus fees. Dealer says I am looking at $399 + tax for 42 months with 10k miles per year.

Have asked for the breakdown on any additional fees and the exact cost of what check I would have to write to walk out the door. Is there somewhere else I should be looking for wiggle room? Would the money factor and residual value come into play here?

Thanks!
    You're very welcome, dmack411. The most important numbers that you should focus on with this deal are this car's selling price and its money factor.

The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Shoot for a selling price that's as close to dealer invoice as possible. You can find this car's exact invoice price over in the New Vehicle Pricing section of Edmunds.com.

Audi Financial Services' January buy rate lease money factor for a 36 month lease of 2011 A3 Premium Plus FWD is .00072. This factor rises to .00092 or 42 month leases. Make sure that the dealer you are working with uses these factors to calculate your car's payment.

Good luck in your negotiations and make sure to let us know how everything turns out.

Car_man
    Host
  • mike_in_nepamike_in_nepa Member Posts: 16
    What are the January Money Factor and Residual rates for an Audi A3 TDI (Premium Plus) for 36 and 42 months with 15,000 miles/year.
    Hey Mike. Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 A3 TDI Premium Plus with 15,000 miles per year are .00154 and 52%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 42 month lease are .00174 and 48%.

Car_man
    Host
  • hedges1hedges1 Member Posts: 12
    Carman,

Looking for MF and residual on a 2011 A3 2.0T DSG Quattro (Premium or Premium Plus). Your help is greatly appreciated!

36/42 months and 15,000 miles a year.
    Hi hedges1. Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 A3 2.0T Premium Plus quattro with 15,000 miles per year are .00072 and 50%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 42 month lease are .00092 and 46%.

Car_man
    Host
  • leasebuyerleasebuyer Member Posts: 14
    Car_man, you are awesome for doing this!

I'm looking for the current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for 36 and 42 month on the '11 A3 TDI Premium Plus and the '11 A3 Premium Plus (gas) with 12,000 miles per year. Can you help us out?

Also, how close to invoice can we get on TDI's (and gas too)? Is it possible to get invoice or below after incentives?

Thanks again!
    Thanks leasebuyer.

Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 A3 TDI Premium Plus with 12,000 miles per year are .00154 and 54%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 42 month lease are 00174 and 50%.

The numbers for the A3 Premium Plus Gas without quattro are .00018 and 51% for 36 months and .00038 / 47% for 42 months.

Other than owner loyalty, Audi is not currently providing any cash incentives on the 2011 A3, so I doubt that you'll be able to get one for under invoice.

Car_man
    Host
  • cfdccfdc Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    Can you help me with the current moneyfactor/residual for a lease on an A3 2.0 TSFI Quattro Premium Plus, 42months, 12000/yr miles? Thanks for your help
    Hi cfdc. Audi is running a special on 39 month leases this month. That's the route that I would go if I was in the market for an A3 right now.

Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 39 month lease of a 2011 A3 Premium Plus quattro and with 12,000 miles per year are .00063 and 50%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Car_man
    Host
  • leasebuyerleasebuyer Member Posts: 14
    Thanks car man. since this looks like a very good special, can you tell me what it would be for 12,000 on an A3 TDI Premium Plus as well as a gas A3 Premium Plus (non quattro)

Much appreciated! Buying this month!
    No problem leasebuyer. Audi Financial Services' March buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 A3 TDI Premium Plus with 12,000 miles per year are .00136 and 53%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a regular aka non-TDI A3 Premium Plus without quattro are .00009 and 50%.

Car_man
    Host
  • rchandler84rchandler84 Member Posts: 2
    Hi-

Thanks for all your good advice and information! I'm considering a 2011 A3 lease and was wondering what the money factor and residual value for April for the A3 Gas and TDI models.

Does Audi have any current incentives or offers on either model? About how much above invoice should I look to pay?

Thanks!
    -Ryan
  • churwitzchurwitz Member Posts: 14
    edited April 2011
    Hi Car_man

Are those numbers still valid for this month? ie: A3 Premium Plus Gas without quattro for .00018 and 51% for 36 months and .00038 / 47% for 42 months.

Do you have the numbers for a 48 month lease for 10,000 miles?

If that money factor is still valid for even the 42 month lease, there should be some fantastic deals out there.
    You're welcome Ryan.

Audi Financial Services' April buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 A3 2.0T Premium FWD with 15,000 miles per year are .00009 and 52%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2011 A4 TDI Premium are .00136 and 55%.

The only cash incentive that I am aware of on leases of this car is $500 for loyal customers.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi churwitz. Audi's March numbers are still good in April, but the numbers that you referenced are from February.

AFS' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 A3 Premium Plus 2.0T with 15,000 miles per year are .00009 and 48%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 39 month lease are .00009 and 47%.

You definitely don't want to lease this car for 48 months. Audi is not providing lease support on that length lease.

The residual values for leases with only 10,000 miles per year are 3% higher.

Car_man
    Host
  • rchandler84rchandler84 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, Car Man. I was at the dealership yesterday and they are offering me a premier purchase program for 42 mos, 10k miles/year at about $378/month with $3,500 down (incl. all fees and 1st month rent). He said that the sale price is only $350 over invoice. It's a 2011 A3 2.0T (petrol) Premium Plus, MSRP of 33,845. I believe the rate for the PP program is 3.75% and the residual is 50% at this mileage. Could you give me your thoughts on if this a good deal or not? The dealer says the PP program rate is lower than the standard lease rate and the other terms are the same. I will likely purchase the vehicle at the end of the lease, which would be around $16,900...this seems like a pretty good deal if I could finance that purchase at around 3%. Thanks for the help!

Best,
    Ryan
    You're welcome Ryan.

Car_man
    Host
  • churwitzchurwitz Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for your help Car_man. I just picked up my new Audi A3. For those interested, this is my deal:

$1500 drive-off
    $400/month (tax included)
    39 month lease
    Audi A3 6MT (manual transmission) in white
    Premium Plus Package
    Cold Weather Package
    Sports Package
    Open Sky Panorama Sunroof
    Aluminum Roof Rails + Base Rails

If anyone wants to provide feedback, I'm happy to hear it. I thought I got a pretty good deal. Anyone think otherwise?

Also, I bought the excess wear and tear insurance for $699. This was the deluxe version (ie: I can turn the car in a year early without penalty) I only realized afterward that there is actually a standard version for cheaper which allows you to turn in the car 90 days early without penalty (They didn't offer this to me). Since I won't be turning the car in early, I want to see if they'll change me to this version, although it might be too late. Anyone know if Audi offers the standard excess wear and tear insurance?
This discussion has been closed.