Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A8 Lease Questions

Comments

• The residual on my lease contract is around $65k after 4 years. Why is that bad?

Brian
  • jpvwaudijpvwaudi Posts: 139
    Good luck. But get at least $10k off the car

I don't know where your buying your cars, but new A8's have between 4500-6000 markup depending on the options, and we don't work for free. At the end of the model year the factory puts money on the cars so, then and only then, is it possible to discount 10g's and not lose money.
  • I got that off of my 2005 A8L when the lease rates were better. Plus they also threw in the auto-armor, the tire/vehicle 4 year warranty, the VIN etching on all windows, and LoJack. But I did sell 40 other cars that year to clients through the same dealership. I only got off about $3k on the 2007 S8.
  • jpvwaudijpvwaudi Posts: 139
    Thats understandable then if you brought in that kind of business; I just wanted to make the point that the average buyer off the street isn't going to be able to save 10 grand on an 07 right now. How do you like the S8? IMHO, its the best car on the road for under 200 grand, and the B & O system is worth every penny......
  • I absolutely love my 2007 S8 ... the exterior color/and dual interior seats is completely amazing! I know I will be able to pocket some money when I get rid of it. I am already to order my 2009 RS8 with the 610+hp LAMBO engine and the new body of the A8.

I love the tweeters popping up and stuff, but with XM, CD, etc., I was kind of disappointed with an option that retails for about $6300. I did get about $600 off that option. I just hope it all works out.

I just went by a friend in a new Aston Vanquish S ($289k or so), he tried NOT to look but eventually did.

The car is truly gorgeous. And again, I have every option, except the Solar Sunroof, which I think is a waste in CA or anywhere sunny, because it's doesn't charge a separate battery to run the actual compressor, just the fans. So it can barely cool the car in the sun.
  • No problem, berisky.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • Car_Man

I started my quest for a new car this week and had no intentions of buying an A8. Well needless to say, one look and I was hooked. The offer I have on the table is the following:

A8 Short w/ premium, 19”, massage, Sirius
    MSRP - $77970
    Invoice - $72574 (according to KBB)
    Offer - $73608
    Residual – 44% (45% if I have them throw in the $599 maintenance program)
    Money Factor – 0.00145
    Payment with 7.75% tax - $1322.79

I’m in So Cal and wanted to know if the Residual and MF sound right for my region thru Audi Financial. A couple of posts back you stated that they were 46% and 0.0013. I just want to be sure that they are not marking these up. Also, do you think that there is room for further negotiation?

Thanks,
    Tim-in-Cali
  • timincalitimincali Posts: 10
    Forgot to state that this was a 36 mo 15K / yr deal.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Posts: 38,515
    Hi Tim-in-Cali. The Audi A8 is definitely a very nice car. The selling price that you were quoted, $1,100 over dealer invoice, isn't bad. Audi's March lease program is different than the numbers that you were quoted though. Audi Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 A8 Short Wheel Base with 12,000 miles per year are .00080 and 40% (man what a bad residual value), respectively. Make sure that the dealer uses these numbers to calculate your car's monthly payment. Since you are in such a competitive market, it wouldn't hurt to see if another Audi dealer in your area was willing to beat this offer, but it's not bad.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • timincalitimincali Posts: 10
    UGGG ... I can't believe that the residual dropped so much. If I plug in the same numbers to my lease calculator, the payment jumps to 1382.65 w/tax. That's an increase of $60. I also dropped the residual by 1% to account for the 15K miles (this is what I was told the delta was between 15K and 12K). Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Tim-in-Cali ...
  • rjlaerorjlaero Posts: 659
    A8's are in extremely short supply and there are very few on dealer lots right now depending on the region you live in. Audi doesn't have to really push this car int the US market with inventory levels so low, so that's why the residuals are pretty bad right now.
    I'm sorry that this car's lease program isn't better, Tim. It is what it is. The only thing that you can do to lower your lease payment is to negotiate as low a selling price as possible.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • ebbebb Posts: 1
    Anyone have current residual % and money factor for the S8?

Thanks in advance!
  • orm1orm1 Posts: 1
    I'm negotiating for an A8L using a Premier Purchase. Quoted 41% residual. 2.25% interest. The salesman maintains that with the PP they don't use a money factor. True? So is the interest on depreciated amount (difference between MSRP and residual)? When I do my numbers I get a monthly of depreciation payment + monthly interest that is about $200 less per month. Thoughts?
    I have seen this car's lease program and would be happy to help you out, ebb. Audi Financial Services' program for it varies by term and mileage allowance. You never mentioned how long you are interested in leasing for or what mileage allowance you need, so for now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Through June 4th, AFS' current 36 month, 15k buy rate lease money factor and residual value for the 2007 S8 are .00355 and 45%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    What you were told is correct, orm1. Audi Financial Services' Premier Purchase Program is what is known as a balloon note program. Balloon notes use interest rates instead of money factors to calculate the interest portion of payments. I do not personally keep tabs on the details of balloon note programs, but the 2.25% interest rate that you were quoted for this car looks about right to me.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • jkrutchjkrutch Posts: 6
    Does anyone have the current (month of June) 24 and 36 rates and residuals for the S8? I am also wondering if there are any incentives for the S8. As much as I love this car, they are simply not selling and there is a huge amount of inventory sitting on dealer lots. There are over 100 S8s listed on AutoTrader alone and I know of 2 local dealers that have S8s that aren't listed on AutoTrader. I can only imagine how many there are out there. I would think (and hope) as the '07 model year comes to and end there will be a huge incentive on this car either in the form of cash back or an aggressive lease program. Thanks in advance for any info.
    Here's the information that you're looking for, jkrutch. Through July 31st, Audi Financial Services' buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2007 Audi S8 with 15,000 miles per year are .00323 and 51%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are .00323 and 42%. As you can see, this car's lease program is pretty bad.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • hotskohotsko Posts: 1
    Hi,

I need to turn in my Lexus LS at the end of August and want to lease (or buy) an 07 A8L. The numbers right now look pretty bad. I am looking for 36/48 month 15k.

1) Do you think Audi 2007 lease programs will get more aggressive when we get into August?

2) Right now, the lease program on the 2004s is great. DO you think that a similar program for the 2005's is coming soon? and is this a better value?

Thanks,
    Confused.
    Hi hotsko. Audi's current lease program for the 2007 A8 is scheduled to run through July 31st. It is difficult to say what its August program for this car will be like, but I personally do not expect it to be dramatically different.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Don't count on great leasing deals on the 2007 A8 as time goes by. The new 08 A8 models won't be here until late October or November at the earliest.

The A8/S8 is currently the only car that has no year end dealer cash or special financing incentives. That leads me to believe there aren't a whole lot of 07 A8's sitting on dealer lots, and Audi isn't really worried about selling the last of them off.

You gotta buy the A8 because you really want it, not because of a cheap lease payment. You can get a 7 series for 150- 200/mo less money on a lease, but that doesn't seem to keep people from buying the A8.

And I think the minor reskin on the fender flares on 08 models has the 07 production cut short, and there aren't near as many cars left on dealers lots as last year this time.
  • Just a quick question.
    I am going through a "lease broker" where the offer is to take over a lease from someone elses AUdi.

It is an Audi A8L, fully loaded (convenience pckg,leather arm rest, cold weather Pkg, 19 inch spoked wheels, front/rear parktronic, dual pane security glass,front seat vent/message, rear seat lumbar support). I believe it is certified and has another 50k on the warranty.

The price is 1050/month. No down payment since I am simply taking over his lease. It is a 2005 A8L with 25,000 miles with 28 months left on the lease.

Sounds pretty good, just don't know if this is currently a good lease price since the original buyer got this price 2 years ago.

Any thoughts??
    That doesn't sound too bad of a deal. You're looking at 1400 month + on a new A8 with at least 4,000-5000 down.

I would verify that this A8 is certifed. I would never want to own an A8 out of warranty, so be careful about that.

Also, be aware that Audi changed it's policy and you can no longer transfer the 6/100k warranty. I think it was Aug/Sept of 2006 that was the cut-off for transferring CPO's, so make sure your car was purchased before that date and you can send the transfer form in for $150.
  • Thanks rjlaero,
    I checked and since I am simply assuming his lease, the owner (the bank) does not change. So I should not even need a transfer form. (at least that is what my lease broker says).
    He sounds quite knowledgeable, so I guess I will go for it. If there is a problem I will let the forum know.

THanks again
    C
  • jz661jz661 Posts: 1
    Hi, Brian,

Great to read your post. I have an 06A8L loaded with premium/sport package, front ventilation, massage, heat, sun shades, parking sensor and so on... my end of lease purchase price is 56K, and current millage is 19800.

You said never turn in a lease. In my case, shall I sell it myself? If so, how do it do it? My lease ends next month.

FYI, according to edmunds, trade in value is about 60K, private party price is 65K, dealer sell price is 69K, and CPO is 73K.

Thanks a lot for help.

ps. I try to lease a new A8L (need the size for family), 12K/yr, 2-3 yr lease. any idea how much to pay for same options (live is SoCal)?
    Good luck getting 65k selling your 2006 A8 private party.

A8's are wonderful cars, but you will take a big hit on depreciation. And they can be very hard to sell at times. Why spend that much on a used one when you can get a brand new one for not that much more?

With market allowances and rebates, few would pay 73k for a certified 2006 A8L.

There's $7,000 cash back right now on A8's. So a 82k brand new A8 has a net dealer cost of 70-71,000.

Edmunds numbers are way off base sometimes, so take that with a grain of salt. The high end of the market is very tough and there's a lot of competition out there.

Sometimes you're better off turning your high end car in and walking away and getting something else. Maintenace and repair are expensive for any high end car and they lose value quickly.
  • Does anyone know if Audi is likely to take back a 2005 8L with 19000 miles whose lease expires 3/08 early inorder to get the new 08 8L now? Also what is the 3 year residual on the car I had a 42 month lease for $1096 on a well equipped 05.Someone mentioned a 6000 or 7000 dealer rebate is that on the 08's?
    The new 2008 A8 is a minor re-style. There isn't a new 2008 A8 on a dealers lot right now. The offical release won't be until November.

There's usually no incentives on A8 leases. If there's dealer cash, it's always at the end of the model year. There's dealer cash on leftover 2007's right now.

Unless you put a lot of money down, it's hard to get out of an A8 lease early. 9 times out of 10 the car won't be worth the current payoff.
  • jescuejescue Posts: 521
    We had our first 08 arrive on Friday.
    Where are you at?