Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series Lease Questions

Comments

• mbz01mbz01 Posts: 9
    jeres8860 - I have done some bargaining with dealers in Southern Cal and have a pretty good sense of what a solid deal on this car would look like. Spec out a car at BMWUSA.com and get its MSRP. If you post it here, I will post the numbers using your 15K and 2500 down as I understand them. If you are in the area, I can suggest a dealer who seemed most willing to make it happen on price.
  • jeres8860jeres8860 Posts: 9
    Hi mbz01,

Thanks so much for the response. I'm actually in San Francisco and would be willing to pick the car up in Southern Cal if I couldn't get a good deal up here.

The MSRP on BMWUSA for the setup I want is: $51, 925.

Thanks again mbz01
  • atlrebmwatlrebmw Posts: 7
    Looking at a 328i with MSRP of $46,545.

I think the sales price is around 43,000 with 62% residual and MF at .00127 but not sure.

This is total payment including 6.5% GA TAVT below.

36 month/15k miles

$604 a month with $706.00 out of pocket

$583 a month with $1495.00 out of pocket

Is this a good deal?
  • mbz01mbz01 Posts: 9
    jeres8860 - here are the numbers as I understand them.
    BMW 328xi
    MSRP = 51925
    Negotiated Price = 48250 (roughly $250 over invoice)
    Dealer Invoice = 48,030 (I assumed approximately 92.5% of MSRP. Local dealers here have confirmed that as a good number - so it's close if not perfect.)
    Money Factor - .00127 as per Car_man
    Residual value - 57% (You should ask Car_man to confirm this. My rate was 59% residual on 12K miles, but you are looking for 15K)
    Down payment = 2000
    Using online calculator and 9% sales tax I get the following payment of = 607.96
    If you put 2500 down, payment drops to $592.13 (tax is included)

Couple notes:
    1. I have assumed you are negotiating a price a couple hundred dollars over invoice. Not all dealers will go here. Only one in my area was receptive to that - if you can not get there locally, I will pass on the first name of sales guy and dealer.
    2. I assumed residual was 57%. You should ask Car_man to confirm this - its a big deal if its wrong. Give him milage (15K/yr and term of lease = 36 months) as these affect residual.
    3. The car you want will likely have to be ordered. The dealers who have any in, are ordering just one - and then using it to generate orders. No one was really dealing on what was on their lot if they had anything at all - and if they had anything, it will likely not have what you want. And if they have it, it has what you want, they are likely not dealing... That was my experience anyway. The one car per lot seemed consistent from SD - LA.
    4. It is commonly written on here that putting money down is not advised on leases - but it is not uncommon to put a small amount of "cap reduction" down to get to a lower payment - others can address that if they want. It may be wiser to go with nothing down and have a slightly higher monthly - though there is definitely a psychological barrier value that can't be figured on a lease calculator)

Finally, if it were me, I would use the internet. Calling or going in is futile if you are trying to deal on price. If Car_man would be kind enough to confirm the numbers above, I suggest you fire a note to the local dealers all at once with your specs and the numbers from above and ask them if they would be interested in doing business with these numbers - to see if you get a bite. In my case, not all were interested - but I found at least one that was good to go. When you open with money factor and residual, you avoid a lot of the game playing. I simply asked if my numbers were right, and the ones that wanted to discuss confirmed. Then it was just finding the one who would deal on sell price.

Good luck. Post your results here if you do go forward with it.
    Hi mbz01,

Thank you so much for the info! I can't tell you what a help that is!

I have already test drove the car and it seems like what you said is consistent; that the dealerships have just one. I didn't really get into prices with the dealer, other than looking at what it costs without discussing discounts. At the time I wasn't sure which car I was going to get serious with, but after driving the Audi Allroad, it was clear. Dealing over the internet makes complete sense and I don't mind dealing with a dealership outside the local ones here in the bay area. In fact, it would be nice to drive it home after picking it up.

I will make another post to Car_man and confirm the numbers with him.

I am hoping to go over my miles too much, but I was thinking if I do, I would buy it and then flip it. do you think that's possible? selling a 3 year old 328i wagon for roughly 27000 with say 55k-60k miles?

Lastly, do you know roughly how long it takes to receive it, after placing an order? have you ordered yours?

Thanks again mbz01, it's very much appreciated.
    Hi Car_Man,

I have spoken to mbz01 about leasing a new wagon and he was extremely helpful in helping me prepare to negotiate leasing a new 328i wagon. He said that you can help confirm the money factor and residual. I want to lease it with 15k miles a year and mbz01 thinks the residual will be 57% - can you please either confirm or deny this? Can you please confirm the money factor for such a lease?

Thanks so much, this forum is a huge help.
  • carbuff123carbuff123 Posts: 3
    So I ended up ordering to be made a f30 335 xdrive Sedan with a Manual Transmission last week. Stupidly, i do not know the exact figures with respect to money factor and invoice or MSRP. However this is the deal. Maybe a guru can shed some light of the caliber of this deal.

Mineral Grey
    M Sport Package
    Harmon Kardon upgraded Sound
    Navigation
    Leatherette
    Heated Seats
    BMW Assist
    Dynamic Handling Package
    Aluminum Hexagon Trim

36 months
    18k per year

$2061.97 at signing
    $580.00 per month.
    Any input?
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Posts: 284
    Actually looks good. If you got the car at invoice, using base numbers you'd be paying about $610 with the extra miles (I am assuming sec deposit, bank fee and tax up front) so it looks like you are getting car for about $1200 under invoice.

For a made to order car, that's good.
  • carbuff123carbuff123 Posts: 3
    Great news! Thanks !!!!
    hey,

That seems like a really good deal! does the $580 include tax? what is the residual and money factor?
  • ranjohnranjohn Posts: 17
    Hi Carman, I just got quoted with a 328xi on a 36/12 lease (top tier credit), options include weather, premium, backup cam, sensor, darkwood trim, nav with a MSRP of 47595, and this is what I got:

First Payment: $495.64
    + Security: $0.00
    + Cap Red: $0.00
    + Rebate Cap Red: $1,250.00
    + Tax on Cap Red: $87.50
    + Upfront Sales Tax: $1,249.01
    + Acquisition Fee: $725.00
    + DMV Fees: $350.00
    + Doc Fee: $131.00
    + NJ Luxury Tax: $182.38
    + Other Fees: $0.00
    + Tax on Fees: $50.75
    - Rebate: $1,250.00
    = Cash on Delivery: $3,271.28

How does it look and what can I do to get a better deal?
    328i with Lux, Tech, Prem, and heated seats.
    Jet Black.

MSRP: $46,545.

Lease deal in Georgia:
    36 payments @ $599, only first payment plus $85 tag fee at signing.
    this price includes all taxes, fees, etc.
    15,000 miles per year.

Seems like a good deal to me...any thoughts?
    Wow, 599 on a 46K car? That's way to high i think.
    It is actually pretty good. The cap cost is just below invoice. Nothing down but first payment and $85 tag fee. In georgia, we have a 6.5% of the price of the car in title charges added on top of the sales price. This added about $75 per month but we no longer have the birthday tag tax.

MF. .00127 MF
    62% Residual
    BMW Loyalty
    15,000 miles
    36 months

Other dealers in town wanted 5k down upfront to hit these numbers.
    what about sales tax and doc fees and stuff? Do you guys have to pay them upfront in Georgia?
    edited May 2013
    No sales tax. We pay the full new Tag Tax on the entire sales price which is 6.5% of the price paid on the car. This adds $85 to the monthly lease for 36 months. This tax along with doc fees are all included in the payment of $599. No birthday tag tax for the next 3 years on this car.

My drive off is $599 plus $85 and then 35 payments of $599 for 15k per year.

I paid just under invoice for the car with a MF of .00127 and 62% residual.

They are delivering the car to my office over 50 miles from dealership.

I could have pushed probably for a few hundred dollars off the price of the car but I felt this salesperson earned what he is making over the few day negotiation. He was never high pressure and nothing but accommodating.

The first dealer I walked into steered me away from the new 2013 since he told me my payment would never be near what I wanted. Second dealer wanted 5k down to get to these same numbers.
    This looks similar to my deal expect I had $2,880 in Tax which was rolled into my payments. I am also at 15,000 per year. What price are they selling you that car off MSRP? I am $684 drive off and then $599 payments for a car with an MSRP $1,000 less than your car. This includes all doc fees, tag fees, and taxes for the full 36 months.

It took me 4 days to arrive at these figures from a third dealer. They started much higher. I have a feeling with so many BMWs leased across Atlanta, many of the customers pay whatever the salesperson quotes with little negotiation.
  • jrf7jrf7 Posts: 3
    Hi, All,

OK - so I'm a total neophyte - never leased a car in my 46 years. But I think it fits my current situation - a bit strapped for cash right now, don't have a car in mind I want to keep for 10+ years, and not driving very many miles right now.

So here's my question: I'm seeing a "special offer" lease for $319/month for 36 months for a 320i/xdrive, or $369/month for a 328i/xDrive (each w/$2750 down payment, roughly $3800 total due at signing) on the BMW of Richmond website. These numbers are WAY lower than I see being tossed around on this forum. What's the catch?

I see from a few minutes reading that many of you are negotiating from 10K/miles/year up to 12 or 15K...that would make some difference, but not a ton, I would think. There's also $750 "loyalty" cash that presumably would be $20 a month more if you don't have a BMW to trade in (which I don't). Still...seems really low. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
    Those special offers are just gimmicks in my book. I just signed a 328i at $599 for 15k. The reason I am at $599 versus the $369 is that I only paid my first payment down plus $78. Defeats the purpose of the lease right there. Then, my car has options that increased the MSRP of the car by 7k or so. The specials are for base models with no options. Then, we add in our car tax in GA which is another 6.5% on the actually agreed upon sales price. Taking all that into consideration, I end up at $599.
This discussion has been closed.