Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Lease Questions

Comments

• acgrafxacgrafx Posts: 2
    528i 2010
    As Equipped $46,625
    Selling Price $43,820

36 Month
    10K per year
    1.45 MF (current customer)
    61% Residual

Payment $531.94 ($581.17 including 9.25% California tax)
    License and Registration $588.75
    Bank Fee $725
    Doc Fee $45
    First Payment $581
    No Rebates
    No Cap Reduction
    But Cap Reduction Tax is 9.25% = $71.22 (What is being taxed?)
    Due at signing $2011.15

One dealership already told me that he can't beat it.
    Another said he could beat it by $10 a month but I don't know what terms or Cap Red. Cost he factored in.

I know this sounds like a good deal but you guys have more experience in this field so I would like your advice on this one.

Thanks.

Also, do the deals get better as time passes on the 2010? I will be ready for one in July and one more in August. The wife wants one too.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,450
    The bank fee and doc fee paid upfront... are taxed..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    What is the mileage penalty if you exceed 30K miles? How much per mile? For your sake I hope that you can keep the mileage down to 30K miles over 36 months. Most lessors have to "buy back" miles at the end of the lease because they exceed the limit. Afterall, they leased the new car to drive it. Not park it.
  • rjorge3rjorge3 Posts: 138
    hi there, I just found a very nice 08 535i, sport, nav, shift paddles, current mileage is 11k. in lease trader not too far from me. I would be paying $569 (taxes including) per month for 21 months, and aprox 10k miles per year (around 800 per month) which can work out fine since I also have a commuter car. There is a $500 lease transfer fee that I would have to pay.

Is that a good monthly pmt for this car? (there will be zero money down for me), and should I ask the leasor for the $500 fee to be paid by him?

All feedback is greatly appreciated.
  • jasontjasont Posts: 6
    I have to admit I was questioning why people lease also, but as I really compared buying a 2006 or 2007 5 series to a lease, the lease seemed better and better. My lease offer was for a 2010 528 3 years/36k miles for $650 a month including CA sales tax or $23,400 over the term. I was able to order the exact car I wanted and I get to drive around in something brand new.
    I estimated a used 2007 5 series with similar features CPO would go for $37k plus another $3,515 in sales tax. For comparisons sake, I estimated a loan doing the same drive offs as my lease which were security deposit only or $700. I used 3.9% for 60 months which was the BMW offer at the time. That means a loan of $39,800 or $731 a month. After financing for 3 years, I would have spent $3535 in interest and that $37k car would now be worth about $19k. So between depreciation of $18k plus interest I would be out $21,500 which is only a savings of $2k over the lease, which may honestly be lost if I cant sell the car for $19k.
    Plus, the CPO only lasts for 2 years after the initial warranty expires, so in 3 years that 2007 5 series is now 5 years old and has no warranty, not what I am looking for. I like a new car every 3 years, I drive less than 15k miles per year, and I hate selling a car when I am done with it. The lease seemed like the best option for me.
    I am curious, after seeing these figures, if you still disagree?
  • smithsongasmithsonga Posts: 123
    I have leased many cars and recently purchased a CPO. Your logic is correct but I think you over estimate the cpo price. I purchased a 2007 550i for 35000. You could get a 530 or 525 for less. So redo your financials using a lower price. However, a new car every 3 yrs typically equals lease.
  • Agreed, your CPO estimate is too high. I also purchased a 2007 530, w/ Nav, Sport and Premium package for 33K plus tax.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    I agree with your analysis for your situation. What caused me to write the post though was the almost feverish requests for people to judge if the poster had gotten absolute last nickel out of the deal. Anyone who is working that hard to save a little money, I think, could in most situations, put the same effort into the far less "efficient" used market and come up with a real score. Given that BMW Financial sets the rules and the dealers all buy the cars at the same price, no one is going to come up with a way under market price on a lease.

It is analgous to two investors. One guy researches the big cap stocks which are covered by everybody. He thinks naiveley that with enough work he can get an edge on Google's earnings prospects. The other guy picks an obscure corner of the market with very little coverage, say bonds issued by African countries. With enough research he could come up with an edge that would make him some money.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Posts: 38,515
    Hey jasont. $250 over dealer invoice plus the use of its buy rate lease money factor is an excellent deal on a 2010 528i.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi radone. That's a lot of negative equity. You would be better off waiting until you are less upside down on your current car to get something new. If you really wanted to get out of your car right now, you would end up paying a lot more more than you normally would for your new car. Plus you would have to come up with a lot of cash to put down because there isn't a $10,000 margin in this car to absorb the negative equity,

Car_man
    Host
    Greetings bmwfan53. Here's the information that you're looking for. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 535i with 15,000 miles per year are .00155 and 58%, respectively. The residual value for a lease with only 12,000 miles per year would be 2% higher.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi teck2u2. BMW is indeed providing $5,000 dealer cash on the 2009 5-Series. However, this cash is not compatible with its special financing or lease programs. It's only good on cash deals, including real cash and deals that are financed through banks other than BMW FS. There is no cash available on 2010 models.

Car_man
    Host
  • teck2u2teck2u2 Posts: 16
    Thanks Car_man,

I appreciate your response on this and my MDX forum questions.

I ended up going with a 09 X5 with 36K miles lease. I am happy to say that through this forum and your expert advise as well as others, I got the X5 for $170 over invoice price (see my earlier post with pricing details).

I am picking it up the end of July or sooner if all goes well. :shades:

Cheers,
    You're very welcome, teck2u2. It sounds like you got a great deal. I'm glad that you found the forums so helpful. Make sure to stop back and let us all know how you like your new ride.

Car_man
    Host
  • capa2capa2 Posts: 3
    I am looking at ordering a 2010 528xi with navigation, comfort access, sports package, sirius radio, fold down rear seats and premium package. I am going to purchase the car. The quote I have is $2000 over invoice. Is this a good deal for a 2010 customized with the options I want. Is anyone aware of any specials BMW is offering on 2010 5 series cars?
  • ktx968ktx968 Posts: 5
    Has there been any change in the 550i's 0.00155 money factor and/or the 59% residual for a 36 month lease @ 12K miles in July-09 vs. June-09??
    Thanks,
    ktx
  • shragatshragat Posts: 4
    I'd appreciate feedback on this lease offer. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger this weekend

2010 528xi, nav, premium pkg, value pkg, satellite radio, 36 months, 12k miles per year

$675 per mo including tax, $1,800 up front for first, bank fee, etc

Have a great fourth
  • x021627x021627 Posts: 148
    what's MSRP, money factor and residual. that's needed in order to determin if the deal is a good one......
  • shragatshragat Posts: 4
    MSRP is 52,370
    Residual 60%
    Lease factor is .00170

Thanks for your help

2010 528xi, nav, premium pkg, value pkg, satellite radio, 36 months, 12k miles per year

$675 per mo including tax, $1,800 up front for first, bank fee, etc
  • samsinsamsin Posts: 1
    Hello Everyone

This is a first car for me, previously had a hand me down, so Im a real noob at this.

I have negotiated a 2010 528i , x drive, for a 36 mo lease , 15k miles/yr

value package, premium package, Steptronic, Park assist, Navigation, Comfort acess, Comfort seats, xenon head lights

with MACO, dest charge and Training/Service fee the MSRP is 55,825, Discounted price/wholesale price $52,000

LEASE TERMS : with a $5000 first payment (includes taxes, first month payment and all other fees) the best im getting is : $648 /mo

PLEASE advise me on this pricing. I have never done this before and am at a loss on whether this is good, bad or ugly

I will be really grateful for your input.. Thanks...Sam :confuse:
  • samcitysamcity Posts: 2
    Hi,

I got offer from dealer with the following.
    Due at signing: $6000 (including first month payment, $550 security deposit)
    MSRP: $50775 (w/ premium and xenon light)
    Invoice: not sure
    Tax: 7%
    Term: 36 months, 12K miles a year
    Monthly payment: $550

Does this sound good deal to you? I'd appreciate your feedback. Thanks!
    do not put $$$ down on a lease....ever.....what is the down payment? nornally you would pay for security deposit, first payment, doc fees and sometimes people prepay taxes which I wouldn't do.
  • samcitysamcity Posts: 2
    Around $3800 as down payment. For everything else is drive off fees. Do you think it's good deal?

and I tried hard to understand why I shouldn't ever make down pay. Can you advise why we shouldn't do that? Thanks!!!
  • gardisgardis Posts: 185
    Guys,
    Question on warranty: I recently got a 2007 CPO 530i, which I love. The warranty runs to end of June 2012. In service date was June 2006.

When I was reading the vehicle manuals, I noticed in that leather bound case, a white card, size of a credit card, that was issued by BMW which has VIN, model, and IN SERVICE DATE. The in service date according to this card was January 2, 2007.

When I questioned the dealer ( I really don't think they could or would try to fool someone on a major issue like a warranty), she told me that was not the final word on the in service date, that it was in the system.

What is this card, and what does it mean? I cannot be the only BMW owner that has a vehicle with that white card (looks like a credit card) on the left side of the leather case holding the manuals. If I have to, I want to copy it, and send it to BMW USA and ask about it, but I don't want my dealer to feel I don't trust them as I need them for servicing, etc.

What do you think? Is there any way I can independently check on my vehicle's in service date?
    Guys, (I'm cross posting this message as this seems a much more active topic):

Question on warranty: I recently got a 2007 CPO 530i, which I love. The warranty runs to end of June 2012. In service date was June 2006.

When I was reading the vehicle manuals, I noticed in that leather bound case, a white card, size of a credit card, that was issued by BMW which has VIN, model, and IN SERVICE DATE. The in service date according to this card was January 2, 2007.

When I questioned the dealer ( I really don't think they could or would try to fool someone on a major issue like a warranty), she told me that was not the final word on the in service date, that it was in the system.

What is this card, and what does it mean? I cannot be the only BMW owner that has a vehicle with that white card (looks like a credit card) on the left side of the leather case holding the manuals. If I have to, I want to copy it, and send it to BMW USA and ask about it, but I don't want my dealer to feel I don't trust them as I need them for servicing, etc.

What do you think? Is there any way I can independently check on my vehicle's in service date?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,450
    I've never seen a card like that in a BMW.

It certainly couldn't have come with the car, because the in-service date is when the car is sold, which can't be determined ahead of time.

Your dealer is correct that the date in the system for your VIN number is the one that governs the warranty.

Next time you are by the dealer, take your VIN number into the service advisor, and ask him (or her) to tell you your in-service date.

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Thanks for that info. Your explanation makes sense. I'm going to take it to my former service dealer BMW of Darien and ask her to put the VIN in the system and see what comes up.

Question: if I want to warm up the engine in the winter, I usually close the door and go in the house for 10 minutes. I notice now that with this vehicle, the doors automatically lock after I"m in the car a few minutes. How can I prevent the doors from locking if I'm not sitting in the car, with the engine running? I know there has to be a way to do this. I know I should consult the OM but haven't done so yet. I'm working my way through it..........

Thanks Kyfdx, really appreciate your input. I've learned a tremendous lot from this forum.

Gardis - CT
    I can change it in my car in idrive. I have it set to lock the doors once I start driving.
  • jsmdukejsmduke Posts: 3
    Can anyone tell me what the current BMW Financial MF and residual % rates are for a 36 Month lease on a 2010 535I with M sport package?

Residual for both 10K and 12K miles a year would be helpful.

Thanks!
    Hi capa2. I realize that you're talking about a 2010 model and that dealers are probably more anxious to unload whatever remaining 2009 5-Series models they have, if any...but $2,000 over dealer invoice doesn't get me very excited. If I was in the market for this car, I personally would do some comparison shopping to see if I could beat this price.

BMW is not currently providing any cash incentives on the 2010 528xi.

Car_man
    Host
This discussion has been closed.