Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier BMW X5 Lease Questions

Comments

• Hi, I was wondering what October's money factor and residual would be for a 2013 BMW X5 50i, 24 months/10k and 30 months/10k.

Thanks for the information!
  • Here's the information that you're looking for mralbury. BMW Financial Services' October buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24-month lease of a 2013 X5 5.0i with 10,000 miles per year are .00135 and 68% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 30-month lease are .00135 and 65%.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    edited October 2012
    Car_man,

I've never leased in the past, but may consider it if I decide to go for the Tesla Model S that we have now been notified is ready for us to "build" after having had one on deposit for 8 months. As such a couple of questions to make sure I'm not missing something in the math on the terms you have quoted to mralbury above.

For simplicity, using a $70,000 "net" selling price, nothing down and no taxes, I come up with:

$1,012.71 payment on 24 months / 20,000 miles. Or $24,305 over 2 years.
    $894.63 payment on 30 months / 25,000 miles. Or $26,839 over 2.5 years.

It looks like you are getting whacked for 1.33% depreciation per month for the first 24 months; only 0.5% per month for the next 6 months (68%/65% residuals) correct?

Another way of looking at it, the last 6 months only cost $2,535 or the equivalent $422.50 per month when you go from the 24 to 30 month term, correct?

Begs the question as to why anyone would do a 24 vs. 30 month lease? I'd love to have the ability to buy a second lightly used X5d just like the one we bought for $54,800 new, for $37,265, this time in 2014. But I guess that's what makes the leasing companies profitable.

Is my math correct? Do leases generally give the lessor the right to buy the vehicle at the residual price (or assign that right)?

Thanks.
  • Thanks a lot Car_man!

I was wondering if I could get some feedback from people on some numbers I got for my lease from BMW of Boston.

2013 BMW X5 xDrive50i: MSRP $75,170 (cold weather, luxury seating, premium, premium sound, sport activity, and technology packages, and BMW apps). Final price $72,000. 30 months/10,000 miles per year. $3,000 down, 0.00155 mf, and 65% residual. Lease price of $899/month including taxes (6.25%).

I'd appreciate any comments.

Thanks!
  • chaozz1chaozz1 Posts: 49
    I just unloaded my 2011 X5D for me, at idle and take off it was to noisy .
    as for power way more then enough.
    diesel in CA avg about the same give or take 10 cents.

avoid the 20 ..rims way to easy to ding and if you go with those OEM tires.
    they are $600 a pop.
    And you replaced your x5d with?

I guess I'm glad that either I'm hard of hearing or simply don't find the sound of the diesel an issue. It's certainly no worse than any Mercedes or the q7. Maybe it was from my previously owning a 911 with the $2,500 optional sport exhaust? Our MDX sounds more strained under harder acceleration, especially given its need to downshift more than the x5.

We opted to stick with 19" rims on the sport activity package. Tire Rack sells the 20" tires for not much more than the 19's but the 20's wear out 30% faster.
  • chadwick218chadwick218 Posts: 5
    edited October 2012
    Car_man and other posters,

I am looking at leasing a 2012 BMW X5 diesel. MSRP is $66,195. The lease would be structured as a 36-month lease with 15,000 year (0.00145 MF; 54% residual).

The car that I am looking at is a demo with 3,000 miles. The car was previously damaged by hail while sitting on the dealer's lot. While the car has been repaired, it nevertheless has a dirty carfax history report.

Using Truecar and simply calling dealers in the area, I am able to get $9,000 off MSRP without much negotiation. In some markets (i.e., New York, I am seeing people get $10,500 off the price of this vehicle).

Given the demo and the dirty carfax report (hail), what should my target purchase price be? Currently, the dealer is willing to take only $10,500 off.

How much flexibility does the dealer have in light of the hail damage? My guess is that they repaired onsite for significantly less than what they would have received from any insurance proceeds. But maybe I am wrong.

Thanks in advance,
    I'll put in my "other posters" two cents.

The vehicle you are considering would appear to have an invoice price of roughly $60,900; meaning about a $5,300 markup on the MSRP. There is a $4,500 eco-credit from BMW on top of that and you didn't indicate whether or not you qualify for any other credits or rebates (loyalty, drive events , USAA, etc). Let's assume you don't. I could order a brand new version of that vehicle tomorrow for $8,800 off MSRP ($1,000 over invoice). My exact color choices, option choices, etc.

In my opinion, even if the vehicle had no hail damage and was in pristine condition, a demo with 3,000 miles would need to be discounted by at least another $2,500 or more (that's only 5%) for me to consider it over a brand new vehicle. With the hail damage, I'm not sure I would take it at any price but if I did, I'd be looking for another $2,000+ off. You might not care as much if you are leasing, but I don't want to take a damaged vehicle if I'm buying.

So, by my thinking, you would need to be at $13,000 discount, PLUS any other discounts or credits you qualify for, before I'd say "go for it". The deal you have been quoted, $10,500 off, is not compelling enough, in my opinion.
  • socal59socal59 Posts: 54
    You're not really getting a very good deal, you can almost get that discount on a vehicle without a bad carfax report and no damage. I personally wouldn't buy it if they gave me $15k off msrp.
  • Thank you, habitat1 and socal59!

Your comments helped to confirm what I had been thinking. I am at discount of at least $13,000 for this vehicle (in light of the hail). I'll keep you posted.
    edited October 2012
    socal59,

Just want to make clear that my suggested discount would be at least $13k, PLUS any other discounts or credits you qualify for. We got the $1,000 Olympic drive event credit from the summer; others are getting $750 loyalty discounts, BMW Apps drive credit (?), USAA insurance credits.

Also didn't ask if that vehicle is exactly what you want, color wise an option wise. When we were shopping, several dealers offered discounts that were a little better if we took what they had on their lots. But and extra $500 off is not worth it, IMO, if you are going to get stuck with a color combo you don't like, or extra options that you don't really care about. For example, almost all X5's here have the cold weather package at $750, which only adds heated REAR seats (heated front seats are standard), steering wheel, etc. By ordering our car to exact specs, we left that box unchecked. Just not worth it to us.

Sounds like you might be from southern California, in which case picking up a custom ordered vehicle at the Performance Delivery Center may not be practical. But it's the only way I will ever buy another new BMW of any flavor.
  • Hi habitat1. New vehicles typically experience their most rapid depreciation during the first year of ownership. This usually makes short leases more expensive than longer one. Longer leases provide another several months for lessees to spread out that initial depreciation hit out over. Another aspect of shorter leases that's annoying is that one has to pay all sorts of registration, acquisition fees, etc when they sign a lease. The shorter a lease is, the sooner one has to pay all of those upfront costs again on their next lease. I personally always lease for 36 to 39 months. I find that provides a reasonable payment, but it not too long.

Consumers always have the ability to purchase their leased vehicle at the end of their terms for their vehicles' residual value. Some banks have been known to even negotiate this price lower from time to time, though it seems as though this happens less frequently today than it did in the past. One bank, Ally, charges consumers a massive, annoying fee to purchase their vehicles, but most do not.

Car_man
    Host
  • You're welcome mralbury. I'd say that you're at probably around $2,000 or so over invoice. That's not terrible, but if you are in an area that has a decent level of competition you should be able to beat that.

Also, if you're eligible for it, make sure to take advantage of the $750 owner loyalty cash that is currently available on this model.

Lastly, the money factor that you were quoted is slightly high. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate for this model is only .00135 for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers. Make sure that the dealer uses this rate to calculate your truck's payment.

Car_man
    Host
  • j335dj335d Posts: 4
    Hi Car_Man,

Can you please provide the 2013 X5diesel November MF and residual for a 36 month lease for both 10k miles and 12k miles/yr lease. Thanks!
  • miamiadjustermiamiadjuster Posts: 8
    edited November 2012
    Hi Car_Man,

I would like to know what the MF and residual are for the following:

2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d (36/10,000)
    2013 BMW X5 xDrive35d (36/10,000)

Also, what's a decent discount on this vehicle? I know BMW is offering $4500 Eco credit and $1500 holiday credit. Correct me if I'm wrong but the dealer gets reimbursed for these credits, right? So it's not like they're discounting the car.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
    edited November 2012
    I don't think there is a 2013 X5d yet. Was just in my delaership and they have 2 remaining build slots for 2012 X5d and no information on the 2013, which may not be released until after the current redesign process is complete.

When I go to BMW USA "Build your own" site, the X5i's are all 2013 model years, but the X5d still shows as a 2012.

To answer your question about discounts and credits, YES those are after the best discount you can negotiate with the dealer. We were at roughly $1,000 over invoice for a custom ordered vehicle, meaning that after the $4,500 eco credit and $1,000 Olympic drive for USA coupon, we netted out to roughly $4,500 UNDER invoice.

Good luck and please advise if you have any factual information about a 2013 MY X5d that I am not aware of?
  • 4tune4tune Posts: 15
    Can someone please tell me what the money factor and residuals are for a 36month 10k and a 30month 10k lease on a 2013 X5. Thanks.
  • Car_man,

What the MF and residual for 2012 X5d for the following. Thank you for your help.

36 months, 12k miles
    36 months, 15k mikes
  • Hi,

This is my 1st post. I have an offer from 1 of the dealers and would appreciate if you can inform me if this sounds like a good deal.. I know I can further negotiate and get it at invoice as they offered me X3 at invoice. My concern is the monthly payments and residual value.

X5 35i premium with convenience pkg, cold weather, bmw apps

MF= 0.00135
    Res= 56%
    Invoice= $56725
    Selling price= $57725
    Holiday cash rebate= $1500

$2000 drive off with $811/month (w/ taxes) for 36 months.

thanks you,
    X
  • Here's the information that you're looking for, j335d. BMW Financial Services' November buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 X5 Diesel with 12,000 miles per year are .00135 and 53% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

The residual value for a lease with 10,000 miles per year would be 1% higher.

Car_man
    Host
This discussion has been closed.