Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier BMW X5 Lease Questions

Comments

• billmv...WOW...you know your stuff, thank heavens for experts like you!!!!
    I did look up the residual and it is 56%, but the actual # the dealer gave me is lower than the 56%. Based on his #'s he have me a 54.4% residual of #30,144, at 56% it should be #30,982. However, I have in writing a 56% #. Does this mean he is making the .015 on me or a difference of $868 total. Can the dealer play with these #'s?

I'm not looking to get the car for a dealer loss, just a fair price, so my expectations are inline.

As for taxes, my tax rate is 7.375% in NY or $1,860 over 36 months or $51.65/mo. So that computes with your $650/mo. calculation without taxes up front.

Basically, the question is where can I deal? Is it on the selling price, maybe have them "throw in" an iPod adapter, maybe a wheel/tire warranty, etc...I'm not looking to get over, but want to be assured my deal is a solid one....any more advice?
    I really appreciate your input!
  • jh87jh87 Posts: 13
    It seems people are paying more than bmw's current X5 4.0 lease offer. From bmw usa's website, for X5 4.0, monthly lease payments of $669.00 for 36 months based on MSRP of $60,525.00 (includes Premium Sound Package, Premium Package, Third Row Seating and Destination).
    Is this a good deal?
  • Why can't any of the sales rep. give us the straight answer. The MSRP is 53575, final agreed price of 50,875. At first the monthly payment without tax was $808.00 p/m for a lease.After questioning the numbers, and going back and forth finally he quoted :
    Residual of 60%
    MF of .00175
    700 refundable deposit
    Payments of 768?
    and then I questioned the numbers again , and finally he agreed to 699.89 a month without sales tax for
    36 months and 10,000 month. and is not giving me any of the other numbers!!
    I do not know how to deal with them any more. I might as well buy the dam thing instead of leasing it.

Any Idea any one!!!

does anyone know how he is coming out to all these figures. I cannot trust any of them any more. What is the residual for 36 months on a 2008 and 2009? I think he wants to cover his discount?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,785
    The dealer can't change the residual... It is set by BMWFS for each model, term and mileage..

60% and .00175 are the correct numbers for 3yr/30K for an '09 X5 3.0

The last numbers I saw for an '08 were .00125 and 56%... but, that was October... I think they stayed the same for November.

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

based on your number, the monthly payment for a X5 3.0 with MSRP of $50,375 should be $683. How come the BMW usa website has an offer for $599. see this
    http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/FinancialServices/LeaseOfferDetail.aspx?e- nc=YzdojlNoJgtAAlV9XOcZbg==
    Please enlighten me.
    Not sure what you mean by, "based on your number"..

You can't calculate a lease payment without knowing the selling price or CAP cost.

In the BMW website example:

$559*/month for 36 monthsVehicle Registered outside N.Y.
    • $559 First months payment
    • $2,850 Down payment
    • $600 Security Deposit
    • $4,009 Cash due at signing

Note the downpayment.. and yet, still no mention of the selling price.

I mean using the money factor and residual number to calculate the monthly payment. I am using the MSRP as the selling price. In the BMW website the quote for the $559 lease offer is based on the MSRP of $50,375. X5 3.0. If I am able to negotiate the selling price lower than the MSRP, I supposedly should get better deal than the $559 offer, right? My question is why every one got a dealer quote much more than BMW's current lease offer. Please help me understand this!
    I'm sure that the example given on the website already assumes a discount from MSRP. Not certain how much, but at least $1000, I would think.

Why do dealers quote a higher price? More miles, more options, less of a discount, taxes, registration fees, markups to the money factor and acquisition fee..

Any or all of the above..

regards,
    kyfdx

• billmvbillmv Posts: 145
    jh87.....the reason others are getting higher quotes is because they are not making a down payment, as you are. The down payment of $2,850 divided by 36 = $79.17. Add that to $599 and you come up close to the $683 number. Not exact due to interest. (No tax in any of these, BTW)

When you put money "down" you lower your payment. It's a bad idea to do that, so most people calculate their payments at zero "down" and only plan on paying the DMV fees, deposits, first month, etc. You can either roll the bank fee into the lease payment or pay it up front with the DMV fees, etc. If you do not pay it up front, and roll it into the lease, it will add about $100 to it due to the interest paid on it.

You ALWAYS want to negotiate as low a selling price as you can, even on a lease. That price becomes your capitalized cost, which is used in the lease payment calculations.

Assume you can negotiate, say, $3,000 off MSRP, and then redo your numbers using that as your cap cost. Calc them with and without the advertised $2,850 "down" and you'll see how that changes things too.

Happy turkey day!
    Thank you very much for the reply!
  • I have a 2006 X5 3.0 w/ premium package with 36k miles with a lease termination of January 31, 2009. Contracted residual is around $29.5k. Since this residual was based on values calculated 3 years ago and given the current market does anyone have any intelligence on what discounts from residual, if any, dealers/BMW are offering to entice lesee's to buy instead of returning the car at end of the lease. Also any idea on financing terms?
    duncan66.....I had a 2005 X5 4.4i. The lease was up in early October. It had 29,000 miles on it. The contract residual was $38,200, and BMWFS offered to sell me the vehicle for $34,200. If I took that deal, they would finance it 100% at 3.9% for 60 months. I did not try to negotiate with them further, as I really did not want to keep it.

I presume you have talked to BMWFS about this. If not, and if you would like to keep the vehicle, by all means do so.

I opted to not purchase it, gave it back to the dealer, and they made it a CPO vehicle.
  • Hi jh87. The lease payments that you have seen mentioned in this discussion are probably higher than BMW's official advertised payment for the X5 because either these leases have lower down payments or the vehicles mentioned here have more equipment, or both. Savvy consumers who are in an area that has a decent level of competition are almost always able to beat manufacturers' official advertised payments by comparison shopping an negotiating a lower selling price than the ad was based upon.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • billmy - thanks for the info. I called BMWFS and they indicated that I could buy the car from them directly for its residual, as per the contract, at a rate of 6.4% currently or I could see if the dealer could offer something better. The dealer indicated that if I were to buy the car through them it would effectively be as a CPO since they would buy it from BMW and then sell it to me at potentially a lower financing rate than that quote by BMWFS. I assume the car cost for that will be higher than the residual by virtue of the CPO seal etc. I was curious if BMWFS contacted you directly or through the dealer since the dealer suggested route seems more costly from my end. Just curious. Thanks
  • miltimilti Posts: 14
    Carman & Kyfdx,

I have a 2006 X5 with a 36 months/15 k miles per year lease, which is ending in June 2009. Unfortunately, I'm at 41,000 miles right now.

Is it true that I can call BMWFS and purchase more miles? And if so are their penalties that may come up when I turn the vehicle in? Or decide to purchase the vehicle?

Or is it better to turn the vehicle in early and get another BMW?

Thanks
    Is it true that I can call BMWFS and purchase more miles?

Yes.. $0.16 each.. Looks like you'll need about 5900 more miles.. That's $944. They'll even amortize it over your remaining payments, if you don't want to pay it all at once.

And if so are their penalties that may come up when I turn the vehicle in? Or decide to purchase the vehicle?

If you are still over, after purchasing extra miles, they are then $0.20 each.. If you think you might purchase, then don't pay for extra miles now, as that money will be lost.

Or is it better to turn the vehicle in early and get another BMW?

Probably the most expensive option..

regards,
    kyfdx

• jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,341
    In general, do you have to turn in your car to the original dealer if you negotiate a better rate at a competing store? Does the policy vary among manufacturers?
    You can generally turn your BMW into any BMW dealer, if they are willing. If they are selling you a new car, they are usually more than happy to do so...

Can't say for other makes/banks...

duncan66......sorry for the delay. I called BMW FS. They did not call me. I asked what they'd sell the vehicle for, and she immediately knocked $4,000 off the residual. Who knows if they would have gone further. I knew I didn't want to buy it, so I didn't press it. Thus, I had no dealings with my local dealer. I just turned it in on the last day.

I don't know what a dealer would pay BMW FS so they could turn around and sell it to you. They would have to make a few bucks in there somewhere, so it seems working through the dealer would be more costly.

Hope that helps.
  • ryo998ryo998 Posts: 13
    Just spoke on the phone to a dealer for a '09 X5 3.0 with technology, heated front seats, running boards, and ipod adapter. MSRP is 51725. Was offered $685 + tax, with $3000 drive off. The term is 36 mo with 12K/year.

Is this a good deal?

cvp
  • Sounds to me like your 3000 driveoff includes at least $500 cap reduction, or at least $15 monthly -- which makes it $700 a month. If this were 15000 miles, that would probably be at least $730 a month,
    Depends how badly you want this car.
    My wife chose between an Mercedes ML350 and Lexus 400H, both loaded with MSRP of $53K, a bit higher than yours, with 15000 (not 12000) miles, no cap reduction, for $580 monthly. That's $150 a month x 36, or $5400. I don't think it's worth $5400 a month extra for the X3
  • ml2005ml2005 Posts: 8
    Anyone know the current MF and residual for 2009 X5 4.8?
    One dealer quoted me .0022 MF and .54 residual.
  • Sorry to post this in the BMW forum but i am looking at the ML350 too and I wanted to confirm that you said $580/month with no cap cost reduction? sounds like a phenomenal deal can you share how you managed to get this
  • Sure. Simply indicated that I only compared apples with apples, so it had to be NO CAP REDUCTION, 15000 miles, and I was comparing different brands.
    Incidentally, once I received $580 monthly, all the competitor brands (except BMW) matched.
    My wife decided on Lexus 400H - about the same $53K MSRP.
    We received a nice offer from Mercedes in Thousand Oaks -- (are you in So California), but we avoided Mercedes in Calabasas, because the guy tried to add $300 to the bank fee.
    Nice to know this -- Lexus lease charges no turn in fee.
  • I just got this offer for a 2009 X5 4.8:

Includes:
    Cold Weather Pkg.
    Premium Pkg.
    Premium Sound Pkg.
    Rear Climate Pkg.
    Sport Pkg. ZSP
    Technology Pkg.
    Space Saver Tire
    Comfort Access
    Running Boards
    Sport Pkg. #330
    HD Radio
    Satellite Radio

MSRP: 72070.00
    MF: .0017
    36 months
    12k miles
    Tax is supposedly included, but I forgot to ask if they factored in the fact that PA leases at taxed at 10%. The dealer is in New Jersey.

5000 drive off. Lease is $864/mo

Could you someone let me know if this is a good deal.
  • tcn2ktcn2k Posts: 277
    I got this deal:

2009 x5 4.8i
    MSRP: 70,675.00
    MF: .00155
    Residual: 59%
    10k miles
    zero down
    Drive off: $1,171.00 ( First payment + Registration )
    Monthly including utah tax: $949.17

Is this good?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    How many months?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    36 months.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Your money factor works out to 3.72% APR which sounds pretty good. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    They found the car that was built and delivered on 1/24/2009 so my dealership was able to trade and get me the car I want in time for this incentive. Here's the low down. The car came with an extra package and option that I didn't have in my original build:

MSRP: 72,825.00
    Negotiated: $68,755.00
    Down bmw incentive (free for me): $2500.00
    MF: 0.00155
    Residual: 59%
    Due at signing: $1,848.74 (1st payment + dealer fee + transfer cost from CA to Idaho)
    Total a month with Tax included: $905.79
    Without Tax: $847.72

Cheaper then my original. I just had to pay the extra 171.00 cap cost and 550.00 in transfer. but it came out cheaper then my original bid and i get an extra package and option. thoughts?
This discussion has been closed.