Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier BMW X5 Lease Questions

Comments

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I want to lease a new X5

And, ... ? :confuse: :confuse:

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • yz1281yz1281 Posts: 2
    Car man

im in Texas, I am dealing on an x5 30i
    MSRP 58,370
    SALE PRICE 57,370
    CCR 0
    APR 6.5%
    RESIDUAL 55%
    MILEAGE 15K
    REBATE 1750
    SECURITY DEP. 0

This was the dealers first offer. Im not very happy with it. What should residual and apr. be on that vehicle? This is not an instock vehicle. It would be transferred in from about 300 miles away.Should There be a charge for that.? Also im turning in a 3 series that is 6k under on mileage is there any credit there? Also dealer told me 6.5% apr is not negotiable on lease program is this true?

Sorry so many questions just trying to be prepared for next round!

Thanks in advance.
  • ardvarkusardvarkus Posts: 90
    I heard the same thing, BUT NEED SOME CONFIRMATION!

I am actually pretty surprised folks aren't talking about it, make me wonder... but your post is exactly what I heard from a salesperson (who might have spoken too soon)

Not sure if it is a cash rebate, dealer incentive or lease incentive.

Anyone????

A
  • dpeck1dpeck1 Posts: 51
    Found out from two dealers it is a $4,500 options credit in liu of the $1750 offered now. HOWEVER, if you lease, they bumped the rate up from .0018 (4.32%) to .0025 (6%), so really doesn't save a whole lot. But if you figure that most dealers will give you $4,000 off MSRP, you could save $8,500 on the 35d. Just pray the price of diesel stays low and that you can find it.
  • rahulskhrahulskh Posts: 2
    Thanks for your advise Car_man! I still have a months time for my other lease to expire and thats when I would start shopping aggresively for x5. Had couple of more questions.
    1) Is money factor purely based on credit score?
    2) What is max money factor?
    3) Do you think which would give me lower payments 24 months or 36 months?
    4) What would be your preference 24 or 36 mths?
    5) Do you know when 2010 is coming out?
    6) Do you think if I wait for 2010 to come out I can get 10k off of the MSRP (59k)?

Please let me know.
    Thanks
  • ardvarkusardvarkus Posts: 90
    Yes, it replaces the 1750 lease credit.

The good news is that the 4500 is a straight reduction in the cost to the dealer- so it can be applied to a purchase, loan or lease.

I never lease, I purchase or use a line of credit, so creative financing is useless. Give me a lower cost!

:)

A

PS "Find diesel"?!?! You must not own a diesel. :) For me an F2504x4 PSD and a diesel tractor, and finding diesel (think truck stops) is never a problem.... in hundreds of thousands of miles...
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Posts: 38,515
    Hi yz1281. BMW Financial Services' July buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 X5 3 with 15,000 miles per year are .00180 and 55%, respectively. A money factor of .00180 is equivalent to an interest rate of around 4.3%. I wonder if the dealer quoted you a balloon note on this truck. Given the fact that you are in Texas it would not surprise me.

Dealers do not usually tack on an explicit charge for swapping for a vehicle, but don't expect to get the best possible deal on one that the dealer has to go out and get. Dealers would much rather sell you something that they have in stock.

Unfortunately, lessees do not get any credit for unused mileage.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    No problem rahulskh. While many banks' money factors vary by credit score, BMW Financial Services uses what one might call a pass / fail system. Either a lessee qualifies for its best available money factors or they cannot lease through them at all. BMW Financial Services' July buy rate lease money factor for an '09 X5 3.0i is .00180 for returning BMW FS customers or new ones who opt to pay a security deposit at lease signing. BMW will waive its security deposit requirement for new customers in exchange for a .00015 money factor increase.

Dealers are often allowed to mark vehicles' money factors up, and BMW dealers are notorious for doing so. Savvy customers who are in an area that has a decent level of competition can usually convince dealers to use the buy rate to calculate their monthly payment.

Typically 36 month leases provide much lower monthly payments than 24 month leases. This is because new vehicles experience their most rapid depreciation hit during the first year of ownership. Thirty-six month leases have an extra twelve payments to spread out this large initial depreciation hit out over.

I don't know exactly when the 2010 X5 is scheduled to arrive at dealers. When the 2010s do begin to arrive, I suspect that you will be able to negotiate a selling price that's fairly close to dealer invoice, perhaps a couple hundred dollars over, minus any available cash incentives on a leftover '09 model.

Car_man
    Host
  • yz1281yz1281 Posts: 2
    thanks for the reply car man.

So what is a good negotiated sales price on an x5 that has a Msrp of approx, 58K ?
  • nycbmwnycbmw Posts: 6
    Just started lease search for x5 diesel.
    first try:
    Premium Pkg., Cold Weather Pkg., Rear Climate Pkg. & Ipod Adapter.36 Months, 12,000 miles. $0 down as cap cost. The payment is $729.99 including tax with $2799.00 due at inception this includes the First Month, Motor Vehicle Charges, The Bank Acquisition fee,.dealer conveyance & $799 Security Deposit.

what i can figure is MSRP is $57975 and Invoice is $53,350.

This initial quote is pretty awful i think. any comments?

ps. sales tax here is ~6%

Thanks
  • dpeck1dpeck1 Posts: 51
    Carman:

I have been holding off ordering an X5 for lease. The MF is .0018, (4.32%). Do you think BMW will lower that rate come August? Thanks.

DP
    You're welcome, yz1281. I am not personally intimately familiar with what the market is like for the X5 right now, but if I was interested in getting one I would shop around and aim for $500 to $750 over dealer invoice. You can look up the invoice price of the exact truck that you want over in the New Vehicle Pricing section of this site.

Make sure to stop by the "BMW X5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience" discussion for additional feedback on how much you should pay for this truck right now.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey dpeck1. BMW's current lease program is scheduled to run through July 31st. Normally I would say that there isn't much harm in waiting to see if the program gets better because incentives traditionally improve as the model year progresses. However, many potential Honda buyers were recently burned by doing just that. Honda had all sorts of dealer cash and lease incentives on trucks in June that it completely pulled the plug on in July.

Apparently, the recession caused Honda to slow its production dramatically. As a result, its inventory situation is low enough that it didn't feel the need to provide support on trucks right now.

If I had to make an educated guess, I would say that BMW's August lease program will be at least as good as its current one...but in this environment it is difficult to say what will happen for certain.

Car_man
    Host
  • anon3anon3 Posts: 147
    The other factor that can influence X5 purchase/lease decision is the $1,800 tax credit for the X5 diesel (in addition to the $4,500 cash assistance from BMW through August 31).

BMW will tell you that leased X5 diesels are NOT eligible for the $1,800 tax credit. I asked my sales person to research this with BMW North America and they provided paperwork that confirms BMW's statement. BMW's web site also says that a leased X5 3.5d is not eligible for the tax credit.

However, the IRS says different: "For a taxpayer to claim the credit, the original use of the vehicle must begin with the taxpayer and the vehicle must be acquired for use or lease by the taxpayer and not for resale." This statement is from the IRS bulletin for Qualified Advanced Lean-Burn Technology Vehicles that identifies the X5 diesel as being eligible for the tax credit. Fueleconomy.gov has similar language and refers to the IRS bulletin.

So if this IRS statement can be taken at face value, BMW is point blank wrong that a taxpayer can't claim the tax credit after leasing a diesel X5. However, BMW will also tell you that claiming the tax credit is up to the tax payer, so they're not stopping you from claiming it.
  • misterepmisterep Posts: 52
    What if I Lease a Car That Qualifies for This Credit?

Lessees are not eligible to claim a tax credit. The leasing party — say, a dealership — can claim the credit. You might be able to finagle an extra discount because of the money they save, but that's up to them.

Documentation includes a Bill of Sale from the dealership.

BMWFS uses the tax credit to support their residuals and MF on these vehicles.
  • anon3anon3 Posts: 147
    The information in your response contradicts itself.

You state that BMWFS uses the tax credit to support the residual on a lease. In that case, the value of the tax credit is already built into the price of the lease through higher residual. You will not be able to "finagle an extra discount because of the money they save" as you put it. That money would come from BMW (not the dealer) and they aren't going to give it to you on top of the residual consideration. I tried that when I first started researching this issue.

You state that "Leasees do NOT qualify", but the IRS says they do. The IRS and the tax code are the authority on this subject, not BMW. The confusion comes from language in the original bulletin for Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit for Hybrid Vehicles stating "If a qualifying vehicle is leased to a consumer, the leasing company may claim the credit." The key word is "may". It doesn't say "only" or "will" or "must" or "exclusively" or "the consumer is not eligible". It only says the leasing company can claim it if they choose to. The rest of the bulletin clearly states that taxpayers/consumers who lease are eligible.

To avoid a duplicate claim, the question remains whether BMW does claim the credit. Unless you are citing an authoritative source that BMW does claim the credit for a lease, I'm going to follow the IRS bulletin.
  • Hi - I was checking to see what the MF was for August 2009 for the X5 35d, 4.8, and 3.0. I am getting conflicting rates from dealers, and wanted to make sure I am getting the correct rate. Thanks.
    Hi usctrojan99. Here's the information that you're looking for. BMW Financial Services' August buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 X5 3.0 with 15,000 miles per year are .00180 and 55%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an X5 4.8 are .00155 and 56%. The numbers for an '09 X5 35d are .00250 and 55%.

You never mentioned how long you want to lease for or what mileage allowance you need, so I had to make some assumptions. Let me know if you want something different.

When negotiating your lease on the X5, make sure to take the $4,500 cash incentive that is available on the 35d or the $1,750 loyalty cash that is available on the 3.0 and 4.8 into account.

Car_man
    Host
  • Car_man,
    Thanks for the reply. I was looking 36 months/10K miles for the lease. For the diesel, one dealer said .0025 and and another quoted .0021.
  • lmil42lmil42 Posts: 1
    You are correct that the tax code is the authority on the subject, but an IRS press release is not if worded in conflict with the tax code. If you read in the regulations and the instructions to form 8910, the IRS clearly states that a lessee is not eligible to claim the credit. Only the purchaser or lessor is eligible for the credit.
  • eonickseonicks Posts: 3
    Hi Carman, you've provided some useful information in this post. Can you tell me the MF and residual for a 2009 X5 diesel.....12000 miles per year/ 36 months?

Also, when calculating the residual amount....its the residual percentage multiplied by the MSRP or the negotiated selling price.

Thanks

Eric :)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,923
    The residual percentage is always multiplied by the MSRP.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

No problem usctrojan99. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 X5 diesel are .00250 and 58%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks Eric. My partner in crime already told you about how residual values are calculated, so here's the information on the lease program that you wanted.

BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 X5 diesel with 12,000 miles per year are .00250 and 57%, respectively.

Don't forget about the dealer cash when negotiating your lease.

Car_man
    Host
  • elanspelansp Posts: 36
    A BMW dealership near me is offering up a 2009 4.8 with an MSRP of around $62k for a lease price of $560 per month for 36 months. They want $3900 cap cost reduction to get to this per month price. Anyone have any idea if this is a good price? I'm trying to figure out the ultimate sales price as it seems as thought here is a $5k spread between invoice and MSRP and I'm wondering if there is dealer wiggle room. They have a handful of 2009's left on the lot....

Thanks.
    Hi elansp. You really should have the dealer tell you the selling price that they are charging you for this truck. As you know, the selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Without the selling price, it is difficult to tell how large a dealer discount you are being given, and in turn if there is any room left to negotiate. Let us know what this truck's selling price is and I;m sure that either myself or another knowledgeable community member will gladly tell you what they think.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi CarMan-

Understood - as it was closing time for the dealership, I asked the salesman and he said he'd get back to me. The ad on the dealer's website doesn't indicate selling price and 10k/year. I noticed that the invoice to MSRP spread is almost $5k. For a 2009, should I be able to get it close to invoice plus any additional cash back to net my monthly payment down?

Thanks ina advance.
  • that dealership wouldnt be in southern california would it?

I would lease that / want to lease that
    Nope, not in CA.....I think here in NY/NJ/CT X5s have fallen out of favor - gas guzzlers, economy stinks, etc. I know BMW is kicking back $1750 to lower lease payments but I think for leftover 2009s based on what others have posted, I should be able to get it close to invoice which should yield attractive monthly lease payments given that 2010s are starting to pop up....
  • so190so190 Posts: 3
    Dear forum members,

I'm in the market trying to lease a BMW X5 3.0i. I have just received a quote from one dealer and was just wondering if I could get comments from you.

10k miles / 36 month
    MF: 0.00235
    Residual: 58%

The drive off cost is
    Fees & Ins: $758 (the dealer said this is a bank fee)
    Cap Reduction: $4,990
    plus 1st mo. payment
    plus upfront taxes
    minus the customer rebate of $1,750

There is also a Documentation fee of $55 and flat add/county fee of $26 to the total sales price.

Am I getting an okay deal or a bad deal? First time leasing a BMW X5 so any comment / help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

;)
This discussion has been closed.