Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW Z4 Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Posts: 38,515
    Hello topspin. I really like your choice in cars, which is funny because I hated the previous generation Z3 Coupe. BMW did a great job with the new Z4 coupe. In order to tell how good a deal this is, you really need to find out this car's selling price. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Without knowing this car's selling price, it will be difficult to tell how big a discount you are getting on it.

For now I can tell you that BMW is not currently providing any sort of lease support on this car. As a result, if you were to lease one through BMW Financial Services, you would have to pay its standard lease money factor. BMW FS' current buy rate standard money factor should be right around the .00315 that you were quoted.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi ragster07. The dealer invoice price of the car that you described is around $37,225. This means that you are getting your car for right around dealer invoice. This is an OK price, but given the $1,800 dealer cash that BMW is currently providing on this car I personally would shoot for a price that is a little lower. Also, the money factor that you were quoted for this car is a little high. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor for the 2006 Z4 3.0i is only .00090 with the payment of a security deposit at lease signing. Make sure that the dealer that you are working with uses this factor to calculate your car's monthly payment.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    I'm glad that you have enjoyed this discussion so much, wt1257. BMW's lease program for the 3.0i and 3.0is are different. The program that you mentioned is still valid for a 36 month lease of an '06 Z4 3.0i roadster with 10,000 miles per year. If you were to lease with 12,000 miles per year instead of 10,000 miles per, this car's residual value would be 1% lower. BMW is still providing $1,800 dealer cash on '06 Z4 3.0i roadster models and $2,000 on 3.0is roadster models.

Making additional security deposits on a leased vehicle has no impact upon its residual value. Instead additional deposits lower vehicles' money factors. Specifically, BMW FS will lower your vehicle's factor by .00007 for each additional deposit that you make, up to a maximum of seven additional deposits.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Welcome back, BeamerMan. I;m sorry to hear that you broke your wrist. I hope that you are feeling better now. How far under your car's total mileage allowance are you? I suspect that you are quite a bit under it. At first glance I have a feeling that you probably would be able to buy your car and either sell it on your own or trade it in on a new vehicle and make a little money in the process, but you probably should stop by the following discussion and get the opinion of the community members who hang out there as well: "Real-World Trade-In Values".

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum

P.S. I'm jealous of your heated garage :)
  • topspintopspin Posts: 7
    Car_man,

Ya the car is beautiful...but that payment is just ugly. =)
    They won't budge from MSRP. I guess i'm just going to have to wait.
    I might just go for a quick 12 month Infiniti G35 lease and see if the numbers improve next year.

Thanks for the reply...Cheers!
  • lalakrsfanlalakrsfan Posts: 44
    Seems to be a great time to lease a new Z4. I would have never expected that BMW would be so aggressive on pricing and lease deals. My wife has had her eye on a Z4 for awhile and when I saw the deals people we getting I couldn't believe it.

Here is the deal I negotiated today over email/phone with a SF Bay Area dealer. Lucked out that they had the car with the exact options and color we wanted

- '06 Z43.0SI: MSRP $49,345
    - Incl. Sport, Premium, Steptronic, heated seats, Xenons

Offered $44,210 and to my surprise they accepted without any haggling. 24 mo. lease with 71% residual and .0009 money factor, the payment is $453.61 + tax. The MF seems to be the only one they are giving me trouble on, as from what I have read here on the board it should be .0005. Is this correct?

We are also considering buying down the MF. If my math is correct, I can make 7 security deposits totaling around $3100, and this will save me about $40 per month on the payment. I don't think I could find a better and safer investment that would pay that kind of interest. Am I missing something here?

All in all, seems like a pretty sweet deal and we plan to drive the 2 hrs to the dealer tomorrow afternoon to pick her up.

Any suggestions on how to get them to move on the MF rate if it should indeed be .0005?
  • how much should I expect to pay to lease a Z4 3.0i MSRP of 42395 for 36 months and 15k miles per year. What should I be shooting for in regards to price and terms? I am leasing this car in south Florida.

Thanks
  • BeamerManBeamerMan Posts: 64
    Thanks Carman. My allowed mileage is 45,000 miles and I have 12k. What do you think? Beamerman.
  • juanito1juanito1 Posts: 15
    Do you mind sharing the name of the Bay Area dealer? My local dealers are pretty arrogant since they are the only game in town and I'm willing to drive to the better deal.
  • matthewsjlmatthewsjl Posts: 11
    What was the cash due at signing. If zero cash down, that sounds like a good deal.

My deal was $2950 down ($450 security deposit in there) and $412/month on 24 months and 10k miles. I believe the MF I had was 0.0005 but it took a single security deposit to get there.

The only option you have over me is steptronic.

The dealer has $1000 profit in the car over invoice less the dealer cash back of $2000.

John.
    John,

zero cash down on the deal. Now I think I understand, the .0009 they quoted was probably w/o the security deposit. I'll be sure to get the .0005.

I'm not sure what you meant by your last sentence. Are you saying you paid $1000 under invoice on yours?
    I don't think we can mention dealer names here. You can email me using my username and @yahoo.com and I will let you know after I pick up the car tonight.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,671
    Dealership names are fine... Individual salesperson identification isn't.. Please read the message printed in red below..

Thanks,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Thanks kyfdx, I somehow missed that red text!

We live in the Sacramento area and drove down to BMW of Fremont to sign the paperwork and pick up the car. We ended up going with the 36 mo lease. I drilled the sales guy and the finance guy hard on the money factor, and they would not budge off the .0009 number unless I wanted to make additional security deposits. At that point we had driven two hours and as much as I wanted to turn a walk out the door, I couldn't bring myself to do it, not to mention that this was the only car in all of Northern Cali that had the exact color and options we wanted, and plus my wife would have been really pissed off. I knew we were still getting a good deal so I gave up and we signed the papers and drove our new baby home.

Other than the MF issue, I was very pleased with the buying experience and would recommend this dealer to others. For future reference, any suggestions on how I could have handled the MF issue better other than the "be prepared to walk away" option? Is the MF rate based on credit score? Ours avg. out to 730, which I would think is high enough to qualify for the best rate. Any comments or advice is appreciated.
  • I didn't really look at the base price of the car in the lease screens.

I know that the dealer only made about $800 on the car.

Basically on the si:
    1. $2,000 dealer cash back. Effectively, this means that the invoice price is reduced by $2,000. If the dealer wants $500 profit, you'll end up $1,500 under the pre-dealer-cash-back invoice price.
    2. The lease rates on the si are better than on the 3.0i - coupled with the better dealer cash on the si makes them lease better.

I think you got a great deal at zero down.

John.
  • what should the residual be for 15k per year on a 36 month lease of a z4 3.0i? the money factor is .00090 correct?

Thanks
    You're welcome, topspin.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi slaughter5111. This is an interesting time to lease a Z4. BMW is providing very aggressive incentives on it right now, specifically an attractive lease program plus $1,800 dealer cash on the '06 Z4 3.0i roadster. Normally when a vehicle has a high level of incentives it means that dealers are probably willing to sell it for pretty close to dealer invoice. However according to a number of dealers that I have spoken with lately, there aren't many cars out there. If dealer inventory in general and specifically the Z4 is in short supply dealers might now be willing to go as low as one might initially think. You should be able to get a good idea of what sort of selling price to expect to pay for this car by visiting the following discussion: "BMW Z4: Prices Paid & Buying Experience". Once you have an approximate selling price for the exact car that you want let me know and I will be happy to estimate what its monthly payment should be for you.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Well you certainly are way under your car's mileage allowance, BeamerMan. This definitely increases the chances that it is worth more on the open market than it will cost you to buy it. Check out the discussion that I mentioned earlier to see what the community members in that area think.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Yes, slaughter5111, the money factor that you mentioned is BMW Financial Services' current buy rate for the 2006 Z4 3.0i roadster. This car's 36 month, 15,000 mile per year residual value is currently 57%. When you are negotiating your lease on it, don't forget about the $1,800 dealer cash that BMW is currently providing on it. It will help you to negotiate an attractive capitalized cost.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum