Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW Z4 Lease Questions

Comments

• Hi,
    If the MSRP is $38000/-, Whats the best deal to get it at?.
    BMW Z4, 2.5L

Thank you.
  • Please suggest if what I am getting is a good deal, I have seen on these forums a deal that came out for $32000 on a $37000 inclusive of delivery. I think In that comparision I am paying $1750/- more.. Also please suggest whats the best Lease price on this same priced car with Tag/registration fees down ($1100 say). appreciate it.
  • I think you may get $38000 MSRP 2.5i for $380+tax per month with no down right now. 12k per year 36mo.
  • Thanks for the response, Thats my thinking too.. however what I am being offered right now is a way much more on the same MSRP $38,000. Down = $4650/- + Shipping = $500
    +Monthly $361 for 12M/12K on 27M deal. This isn't reasonable to me at all. I do not have any problem to go for 36M/36K deal if I am offered as to your Math, 380+tax with Zero Down. Donno whom to approach or which dealership to, can you please suggest. Thank you so much in advance.
  • The offer you got is actually around $500 per month for a 2.5i. That's too much.

You may try to find a z4 you like in dealer's stock, then bargain with them. Lease payment for a 3.0i will be similar to a 2.0i due to $2000 more incentive.

Your target price will be $500-$1000 over invoice minus incentive. And make sure you get the base money factor and residue. You will get no more than what you offered right now even on a loaded 3.0i.
  • You're very welcome, chr. Here's the breakdown that you're interested in for the current lease program on the 2005 BMW Z4 2.5: 24 mo. / 15k - .00200 / 62%, 30 mo. / 15k - .00100 / 59%, and 36 mo. / 15k - .00100 / 55%. I know that BMW is currently advertising a 27 month lease on this car, but for some reason I have not seen its 27 month lease program. I'm sure that the 27 month money factor is the .00100 factor that I mentioned earlier, I just don't know about the residual value. It's difficult to say what BMW's December and January lease program on this car will be like. You need to be careful about how long you wait to lease this car though. Vehicles' residual values gradually fall as the model year progresses. At some point they have fallen so much that it becomes too expensive for manufacturers to provide reasonable lease payments on leftover models and they just pull the plug on their special lease program. BMW has already stopped providing lease support on most other models. I don't know exactly when it will pull the plug on its special 2005 Z4 lease, but it will happen eventually.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums
  • Hi anumolu. I can give you an idea of what sort of lease program to expect on this car, but in order for me to do so I need you to provide me with an approximate selling price for it. You may be able to get an idea of how much you will have to pay for it right now by visiting rhe following discussion: "BMW Z4: Prices Paid & Buying Experience". When estimating the selling price, don't forget that BMW is currently providing $3,000 dealer cash on the 2005 Z4 2.5.

Car_man
    Host
  • Hi Car_man,
    Please respond promptly if possible.
    MSRP = $38,030/-, Offered SP = $34,250.00 + Delivery $500.00. However the lease offer on this same $5150/- down inlcuding delivery (500), and monthly 361/- for 27M at 1K miles per month. Please suggest the SP and lease offer I likely should get on this BMW z4 2.5L. Thanks in advance.
  • Seems like I have to meet this dealer today and make a decision. They defenetly want to talk me into the deal they offered and explain me where the money is going etc.. Can you please give a detail math inlcusive all possible charges on a lease to your knowledge so I know what they are talking. BMW z4 2.5L, MSRP $38030.00 , Purchase Price $34250.00
    Thanks so much in advance.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,679
    I'm not familiar with the numbers on the 27 month leases... but...

There is a $3000 dealer incentive on the Z4 2.5 this means that your effective discount is only $800.... Without even knowing the other numbers, this is at least $1000 too high for a car that is obviously not selling well...

I'd keep shopping..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• I got this 2.5L BMW Z4 for $399.63/month on a 39M /(10K/Year) lease program with $2450 paid to begin with. If I increased the milage the payment would be around $30 more which I might take later. I did this dela as I don't know how december is going to turn out on these Incentives/lease program. But I strongly feel I am paying easy $1500/- more on this whole deal. The cars defenetly fun to drive. Thanks for your suggestions made.
  • chrchr Posts: 3
    Hi Car_Man, are there any changes to the residuals and money factor for December? Thanks!
  • Hi anumolu. BMW is currently providing $3,000 dealer cash on the 2005 Z4 2.5. Taking this cash into account, you should be able to get one right now for several thousand dollars below dealer invoice. As far as this specific offer goes, you are being asked for way too large a down payment. I always advise consumers against making any sort of down payment when leasing. I do so for two main reasons. The first is if your vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen during your lease, your insurance company pays off the bank that you were leasing it through and your down payment essentially disappears. The second main reason is that down payments on leased vehicles do nothing to reduce their lease-end purchase prices. So your lease-end purchase option price for your Z4 would be exactly the same, regardless of whether you had put $5,000 down, or had made absolutely no down payment at all.

Car_man
    Host
  • Hi chr. Nope. BMW's lease program for the Z4 is exactly the same in December as it was in November.

Car_man
    Host
  • I'm looking at purchasing a 2.5 Z4 in December and just wanted to ask about your statement "Taking this cash ($3000) into account, you should be able to get one right now for several thousand dollars below dealer invoice." Do you mean that I should be making an offer that comes in below Invoice less the 3K incentive? What then would be a good offer to make on the base 2.5 w/ auto this late in the year? Thanks!
  • HI CarMan, I've never leased a vehicle before. It all seems way too confusing. Do you think it would be possible to lease an 05 Z4 2.5 nicely appointed for somewhere around 300-325/month? Or am I dreaming?? Thanks!

Chase2378
  • we are looking at an 05 Z4 - MSRP (sticker) $42795
    they are offering monthly payment total of $554 (36 mo lease) we are trading our 02 Lexus RX300 (we owe $17700 on it)this deal is with no money at signing except for first month lease payment. does it sound like a good deal?
    thanks for any help you can give. I like to get to the bottom line - what does it cost per month.
    Alabamgirl
  • Hi tedium. Without using the incentive you should be able to get an '05 Z4 for right around dealer invoice or just over in many parts of the country right now. This would be reduced to below invoice once the dealer cash is taken into account.

Car_man
    Host
  • Greetings chase2378. Since you are new to the world of leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

I would be happy to give you an idea of what your lease payment should be like on the Z4 that you are interested in right now. However, it would be a big help if you would provide me with this car's full MSRP and dealer invoice price (or an approximate selling price). This information is necessary to calculate a lease payment.

Car_man
    Host
  • Hello alabamgirl. It is difficult for me to evaluate this deal without knowing a couple of additional pieces of information. You never mentioned the selling price of the car that you are interested in leasing. This is an important number for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing the price of the car that you want to lease you don't know how good a price you are getting it for. The second reason is that one needs the selling price of a vehicle that they want to lease is that it is necessary to calculate its lease payment.

Also, how much are you being given for the truck that you are trading in. If you tell me these two numbers, along with the mileage allowance of the lease, I will let you know what I think of the payment that you were quoted.

Car_man
    Host
  • OK - here is all the info, I hope.
    Z4 2.5 convert.
    Sticker $42795
    Selling price $39295 (they are taking off the $3000 rebate they are getting back from BMW plus $500)
    36 mo lease/15K miles per yr/money fact 1.4

They are offering to pay off my car loan, $17700. Edmunds tells me my car is worth $20200 (trade-in value).

This is the last 05 Z4 in my area. The next closesl. dealer is about 75 miles away.

One more thing - the color combination of this car is rather strange. I tried building one on the BMW site and it kept telling me the exterial (Sterling Gray) could not be picked with a beige interior. It sounds strange, but it is really pretty. I am wondering if they ordered it for someone and the deal fell thru.

Thanks for you info as we are trying to make a decision today.
  • I'm not the expert here, so take this for whatever it's worth. Just jumping in because you need a quick answer.

Based on what I've read here, you're getting the maximum markup on your money factor (.0014 vs .0010 buy rate). You're only getting a discount of $500 on a slow selling vehicle that's an '05, when some manufacturers will have '07s out next week.

Getting a better money factor and proper discount should save you about $100/month from the deal you have. I'd spend some time writing e-mails or making calls around the Southeast and see who's willing to deal. I've not shopped BMW's there, but South Florida is usually a pretty competitive market for high end vehicles.

Good Luck.
    These are all good points... Your deal is only a good for the dealer.. $100/mo. lower would be something to shoot for..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

• Thanks to everyone for the info. I went thru the "how to compute lease payments" and realized this was no 'deal' unless you are the dealer. I'll see if he will dicker. If not, I can wait.
  • jamiewjamiew Posts: 11
    I'm nearing the end of my Z4 3.0i lease and would like to know what to expect, having never leased a car before. A few points: 1) I'm 10k miles *under* my allocated mileage; 2) As a resident of SF my car has taken some minor wear and tear... dings from grocery parking lots, minor scraping of the wheel rims from curbs, and a few small but visible scuffs to the bumpers from parallell parking; 3) I'm planning to directly lease another BMW (a 5 series) though I may end up leasing it from another dealer in the area.

My questions: 1) Does it matter whether I lease my next car from the same dealer or a different dealer? Will the old dealer be more forgiving of wear and tear, for instance? 2) How picky/agressive are BMW dealers when it comes to this sort of wear? Can I realistically expect the low milage to "balance things out" (as I'm hoping?) 3) What happens to my security deposit? Do I get it back, or should I expect it to disappear given wear and tear? Can it be applied to my next lease? Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated as I am relative newbie to leasing.
  • bdr127bdr127 Posts: 950
    You can turn in your car to whatever dealer you want. (You might need to contact BMWFS and tell them where you plan to turn it in, though... I know some leasing companies need to know in advance.)

Most dealers will be more forgiving on wear and tear if you're buying another car than if you are just turning in.

Here's the deal on BMW lease turn-ins from the dealer's prospective: The dealer needs to purchase most of the lease turn-ins it gets. They only get to reject a certain number of cars per year. BMWFS sells the car to the dealer for the MMR (Manheim Market Report) price, adjusted for miles. (Manheim is the largest auto auction group in the world, so they are pretty much the standard.)

Since the dealer has to pay for your lower miles, don't expect any leverage from it. As far as dings and scratches go, it really depends on how bad they are and how much it will cost to fix. If it is only $100-$200 to fix that stuff, then the dealer might just eat it since you're buying another car. But if he's gonna have to eat $500, $1000, or more, then they might look to have you pay for some of it, which only seems fair, IMHO.
  • jamiewjamiew Posts: 11
    Thanks, that was very informative! Follow-up questions:

1) What about my security deposit?

2) I've heard of "pull-ahead" programs... any pros or cons to taking advantage of one and getting out of my lease early? (Or, for that matter, any pros or cons to extending my lease a few months?)

3) Would having the car detailed prior to turning it in make a difference? Or will the dealer end up doiing this themselves regardless?

4) When negotiating the lease on my new BMW, when is the best point to bring up my old leased car? Before negotiating a price on the new car, after, etc.?

Thanks!
    1) The fate of your security deposit is in no way tied to the end of lease charges.. Although, it may be used to offset your final bill.. In other words, they won't look for extra charges to use up your deposit. Also, when you re-lease another BMW, they usually waive the security deposit on the new lease.

2)I'm not familiar enough with BMW's pull-ahead program to give you any really good advice about that.. I like to take my leases to the full term.. it simplifies the next deal.

3) BMWs are a little different, as someone at each dealership usually does the inspection, instead of a 3rd party.. I don't know if the car needs to be detailed, but inspectors are human.. As someone here on the boards says,"Clean cars bring clean money, dirty cars bring dirty money". I'd certainly have the car looking as nice as possible, but I wouldn't spend $250 for a full detail..

4) I'd let them know right away that you have a leased BMW to turn in.. That is going to alert them that you are a serious customer, and already qualified for the new lease.. The ability and willingness to complete the deal on the buyer's part, seems to motivate dealers to get serious on price, at least in my experience.

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

• Thanks for the additional info, alabamgirl. It's good that the dealer is subtracting the dealer cash that is currently available on this car from your deal, but you need to get them to give you a larger discount from their end of the deal than a measly $500. Normally you should be able to get a much better price than this, but since there are no other dealers in your area and this is this dealer's last remaining Z4 I see why this deal is the way it is. You can always try to haggle with this dealer a little more to see if you can get them to drop their price even further. If they still won't budge, your only option is to go with this deal or to work with a dealer that's far from your home.

Car_man
    Host
  • Hi jamiew. BMW is running a lease pull ahead program right now that will let current lessees of select vehicles out of their deals early at no charge if they finance or lease a new vehicle through BMW FS. Unfortunately the Z4 is not one of the vehicles that is eligible for this program. It's only available to current lessees of select 2002 and 2003 3-Series, 5-Series, 7-Series, and X5 models.

Car_man
    Host