Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW Z4 Lease Questions

Comments

• lvrebellvrebel Posts: 4
    Car Man,

We went to sit down with BMW this weekend, but the power got knocked in the area and we were not able to truly start working out a deal.

After test driving, we decided to go after a Z4 3.0i, but would like additional options Considering that BMWFS has a Lease Special on the 3.0i, we will be able to upgrade the options and still get the same deal?

We would also like to increase the term to 36 months instead of 30. What would moving the term do to the negotiated residual. The current offer has a 66% residual.

Thank you.

Lvrebel
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Posts: 38,515
    Hi Alice. You certainly have an appropriate used id. It appears as though the dealer that you are working with is trying to mark up your car's lease money factor in an effort to add hidden back-end profit to your deal. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor for the 2006 Z4 3.0i is only .00175 with the payment of a security deposit (.00125 for the 3.0si). Make sure to insist that this factor us used to calculate your car's lease payment.

In your post you mentioned this car's MSRP and dealer invoice price. Are you getting it for dealer invoice? If so, that is a reasonable price. Don't forget though that BMW is currently providing $1,200 dealer cash on the '06 Z4 3.0i, so dealer invoice essentially amounts to $1,200 over invoice.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums
    You're welcome, jmcmbz.

Car_man
    Host
    No problem, lopz. You were smart to read those articles. Consumers who try to lease vehicles without understanding how it works are often taken advantage of. According to the latest information that I have seen, if you were to lease a 2006 BMW Z4 3.0i convertible through BMW Financial Services right now for 24 months with 12,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00175 and 59%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '06 Z4 3.0si .00125 and 59%. When negotiating your lease on the Z4 that you want, make sure to take the $1,200 dealer cash that is available on the 3.0i convertible and $1,500 that is on the 3.0si into account. This cash will help you to negotiate an attractive capitalized cost.

BMW is not currently providing any sort of lease support on the M roadster. As a result, if you were to lease one through BMW FS right now, you would have to use its standard lease money factor. Its standard factor varies depending upon what part of the country one is in, but it should be around .00310 right now. BMW FS' 36 month, 12,000 mile per year residual value for the '06 M roadster is currently 56%.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi Lvrebel. Unless your current car is worth considerably less than its lease-end purchase option price and you can convince the dealer that you are working with to take your current leased vehicle as a trade, the fact that you are well below your allowed mileage will not help you get a better deal on your new car.

The two most important aspects of leases to focus on are vehicles' selling prices and their money factors. Try to negotiate as attractive a selling price as possible on the new Z4 that you are interested in, taking the dealer cash that is currently available on it into account. Once you have arrived at an attractive price, have the dealer that you are working with use BMW Financial Services' buy rate lease money factor, .00125 for 36 months, to calculate its monthly payment. I believe that 10,000 miles per year is the lowest mileage allowance that BMW FS offers.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey Lvrebel. The fact that you want additional options on your Z4 will have no impact upon its lease program. The only thing that adding extra options will do is increase your car's price and in turn increase its monthly payment.

Are you sure that the 66% residual value that you mentioned is right? BMW Financial Services' current residual value for a 30 month lease of an '06 Z3 3.0i roadster is only 56% with 15,000 miles per year. If you were to lease for 36 months, the residual would drop to 51% with 15,000 miles per year.

Car_man
    Host
  • lopzlopz Posts: 22
    Car Man,

In April I ordered a 3.0si, with the intention of leasing for 24 mo., 12k miles (residual 70%). I was offered an $1,800 discount and a money rate of .00165, which I had read in this forum was the going money rate at the time. Now you tell us that the money factor is .00125. Does this mean that the .00165 included the .0004 the dealer can tag on and I didn't realize it or that the money factor has dropped .0004 from what it was in April? The car has now arrived and I'm ready to close at the end of May (I'm out of town until then), and I'd like to know if I can still get the now lower money factor or I should honor the original aggreement. By the way, when you say the residual is 59% you mean on a 36-month/12k, not a 24-month/12k lease, correct?
  • lvrebellvrebel Posts: 4
    Car Man,

I am just about to complete a deal for a Z4 3.0si. They have offered price of $47082.25 ($862 over invoice), MSRP is $50670, with a residual of 60% and MF of .00165. They did not want to come down on the MF so they adjusted the invoice price down. I am putting down $3000. They are not charging security deposit or any additional charges (except county taxes, registration). What are your thoughts on this deal?

Thanks.
    Lvrebel
  • lopzlopz Posts: 22
    Where are you when we need you? :(
  • andrewinla2andrewinla2 Posts: 13
    The MSRP was $39,996.
    Negotiated price of $36,767
    24 months with $4,000 down
    $349 including tax (323 without TAX)per month.
    10K miles per year.

Was this a good deal?

This was McKenna BMW in Norwalk, CA
    It was for ad car.
  • vsaxenavsaxena Posts: 201
    The 30 month special residual is 65% for 12K Miles for 3.0
    Add 2% to Residual Value for 12k mi/yr and 3% for 10k mi/yr on all terms

Z4 3.0i Convertible / Compare Instant Lease Quotes

24 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 69% of MSRP – .00090 Base Money Factor Rate
    36 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 57% of MSRP – .00090 Base Money Factor Rate
    48 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 41% of MSRP – .00310 Base Money Factor Rate
    60 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 33% of MSRP – .00310 Base Money Factor Rate

Z4 3.0si Convertible / Compare Instant Lease Quotes

24 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 68% of MSRP – .00050 Base Money Factor Rate
    36 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 57% of MSRP – .00050 Base Money Factor Rate
    48 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 41% of MSRP – .00310 Base Money Factor Rate
    60 mo/15k mi – Residual Value 33% of MSRP – .00310 Base Money Factor Rate
  • dhanleydhanley Posts: 1,531
    Question: are those really fantastic rates? They do look pretty darn good.

I just speced a z4 3.0is at $46,215. In illinois you pay sales tax on the lease up front (grumble). Assuming I get $2000 off sticker, and pay no money down on a 36 month lease, that comes out to $585.48/mo with 12K miles a year.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,708
    Don't forget the $2000 dealer cash on that model.. You should probably be shooting for at least $4K off MSRP..

And, yes.... those are fantastic rates.. the special 30 month residual is the best deal...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• dhanleydhanley Posts: 1,531
    Thanks kyfdx. With the $2000 dealer cash included and a 30-monther, it's $536.19/mo, zero down, tax included.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.. :)
    Funny... I was working up scenarios myself earlier today..

MSRP of $48,070..
    30 months at 15K/yr.. residual of 65%
    MF of .0005 reduced to .00001 by 7 MSDs..

Selling price of invoice (dealer makes $2K incentive)

Acq.fee rolled in..

$441/mo. + tax.. Due at signing: 1st payment, title/license fees ($114 where I live) and 8 refundable security deposits... (about $4600 total, with $4000 refundable at lease end).

Now.. if I didn't already have a BMW convertible...hmmm...

Hi lopz. Since you haven't physically taken delivery of your Z4 yet, there is a good chance that you can take advantage of BMW's new more aggressive lease program. Yes, 59% is this car's 36 month, 12,000 mile per year residual value, not its 24 month residual.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello Lvrebel. Given the dealer cash that BMW is currently providing on the Z4, I personally would want to pay dealer invoice if not less for one. As long as you are in an area that has a decent level of competition, I personally think that $900 over is a little high given the market for this car right now and its current level of incentives. Also, the money factor that you are being charged for this car is too high.

Car_man
    Host
    This is an excellent time to lease this car. BMW significantly enhanced its lease program on the Z4 for the month of June. It's program is so much better this month than it was last that BMW's advertised lease payment for it fell from $399 a month all the way to $329 per month!

Car_man
    Host
  • vsaxenavsaxena Posts: 201
    kyfdx:
    The 30 month program is just the average of the residuals for the 24 and 36 month. So nothing special here except that you get rid of the car at the start of winter.

If you can get really aggressive with the pricing, you can swing under $400 for loaded cars! ED pricing for US delivery cars.

I wish I could get into a Z4 again.... I just switched to an E60 from my SMG Z4.
    As far as I know...

68% for 24 months

57% for 36 months

65% for 30 months

So, unless I have that number wrong (always possible), then the 30 month residual is definitely a better deal. Probably $20-$30 per month cheaper than a 36 month lease..

But, in relation to MSRP, any of the three terms is going to be cheap...

regards,
    kyfdx