Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi jennian. The Ford Explorer's lease program varies by trim level, region, term, and mileage allowance. I would be happy to give you an idea of what the lease program for the truck that you are interested in is like right now, but in order for me to do so I need you to tell me exactly what Explorer you want, i.e. an XLT 2WD, an Eddie Bauer 4WD, etc..., what state you are in, how long you want to lease it for, and how many miles per year you need to be able to drive it. Let me know and I'll tell you what the latest lease program is like.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi kalik. I don't remember what the lease program was like for the Explorer back in 2004, but it is very possible that its residual values are worse today than they were back then. I would be happy to give you my opinion of the deal that you were quoted, but it would be a big help if you provided me with this truck's full MSRP and selling price first. These numbers will show me how much of a discount you are being given.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • luckycaitluckycait Member Posts: 2
    Hi Carman
    I'm wondering if anyone could help me out!
    We are getting a deal and I'm wondering if it's very good?
    Explorer XLT
    Leather package
    Convience Package
    3rd seat
    Climate package
    Running Boards
    6 disk changer
    MSRP $31,120
    We have the Ford X Plan so that make s the price $29,957
    We have an '04 Toyota Solara SE Sport that blue books at $12300 but he only wants to give us $11K and we owe $20K
    so there is another $9K tacked on
    there is $4K in rebates
    36 mos
    12K/year
    Acq. Fee $595 Dock Fee $45
    Tax is 7.25%
    and he has us at 2.25%

He has our payment at $662.53 AND $2000 down.
    I plugged this into a lease calculator but I came up with alot less. Can you tell me if I'm getting taken?
    Hi luckycait. You are currently $9,000 upside down on your Solara. Ouch :sick:. Unless you really need to get an SUV for some reason, like your family is expanding it would really ne in your best interest to wait until you are less upside down on your car to get something new. If you really have to get a new vehicle now, the Explorer is a good one to go with because you will be able to get a pretty big discount on it that will absorb most of your negative equity. The fact that you will be able to lease this truck through the X-Plan is great. It means that you will be able to get an excellent deal on it without having to haggle.

Let's work up a lease payment on this truck and see what we come up with. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2007 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD that has an MSRP of $31,120 and a capitalized cost of $32,957 ($29,957 selling price - $4,000 lease cash - $2,000 cap cost reduction + $9,000 negative equity) through Ford Credit right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, your $2,000 down, pre-tax monthly payment would be around $571. As you can see, there seems to be something wrong with the monthly payment that you were quoted. There's no way that sales tax adds $100 per month to your payment. If I was in your situation I would comparison shop with another dealer or two.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • memonstermemonster Member Posts: 1
    We have the 2004 explorer xlt the purchase options at end of lease term is $16628.05---is this price negotiable? unfortunately my husband thinks he understands car buying but he doesn't. I love my explorer and would really like to keep it and we just put new tires on it thinking we were going to keep it. any tips would be greatly appreciated! oh our miles are low (37100) and there are some minor wear and tear to it.

options (i am sure there are more, but these are the ones that i can think of off hand)
    third row seat
    moon roof
    cd player
    cruise control
    power drivers seat
    airbags
    4wd

thanks,
    aimee
    Hi aimee. Some banks will occasionally negotiate the end of term purchase prices of leased vehicles and others will not. I am not personally all that familiar with Ford Credit's policy on this matter, but give it a shot. You certainly don't have anything to lose by asking for a lower price. I have found that if your initial contact at the bank is unwilling to negotiate that one can often get a manager who is above them to do so. If you do try to negotiate your Explorer's purchase price, stop back and let us know how it went.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • explorer3741explorer3741 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I was looking for a new 07 Expl. Looking to lease for first time. Currently have 03 xlt w/46k miles but would like upgrade to EB with V8, trailer tow etc... Not sure about the whole lease thing. Any ideas what a good starting deal would be or where to start at???? I live in upstate New York but i have found that it is hard to find a vehicle up here with options that i would like to get
    Hello explorer3741. Since you have never leased before, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

In short, the best way to get a good deal on a lease is to negotiate as low a selling price as possible on the new vehicle that you want and then have the dealer that gives you that price calculate your monthly payment using its base lease rate. If you give me an idea of what the MSRP of the truck that you are interested in is and what sort of selling price you expect to be able to negotiate I would be happy to work up a sample lease payment for you.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • hcophcop Member Posts: 6
    Can someone tell me what the x-plan is?
  • mgc1mgc1 Member Posts: 1
    am looking to lease a ford explorer(07...EB) have never leased...got a quote from a dealer here in the portland,or. area. It seems awful high....any thoughts???

MSRP $37,675.00
    Sale Price $35,999.00
    Less Lease Rebates -$3000.00
    (used to cover 1st payment, & DMV....ZERO out of pocket cash)

36 months @ 10,500 miles per year = 607.22 per month
    Lease end value = $17,707.25

36 months @ 12,000 miles per year = 617.08 per month
    Lease end value = $17,330.50

36 months @ 15,000 miles per year = 636.81 per month
    Lease end value = $16,577.00

*All leases figured at 5.75% APR On Approved Credit.
  • elanspelansp Member Posts: 39
    For those who need to know....

X Plan quote on a 2008 Eddie Bauer with options - vehicle had a MSRP of $39k.

Dealership told me $532/mo for 12k/yr 39 months. Upon inception, only amount due was $1000 which comprised first month, taxes, title, registration, etc.

Interestingly enough, guy said this was below X plan and said he may be able to do better.....I thought x plan was "fixed" price so I'm wondering if dealership is trying to work me like a champ....

Can anyone provide MF and residual factor for '08 EB with above details? Thanks.
    Hi hcop. X-Plan is Ford's supplier purchase program.

Car_man
    Host
    Greetings mgc1. Since you are new to leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

Let's take a look at the deal that you were quoted. The Explorer that you're interested in probably has a spread of around $2,500 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. This means that the $2,600 dealer discount that you are being given is probably equivalent to around $900 over dealer invoice. If you are in an area that has a decent level of competition, I would not be surprised if you were able to beat this price by a couple hundred dollars.

The lease rate that you were quoted looks a little high to me as well. Ford Credit's current base lease rate for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer is at worst 3.25%. Make sure that the dealer uses Ford Credit's buy rate to calculate your truck's monthly payment.

Car_man
    Host
    Here's the information that you're looking for, elansp. Ford Credit's current base lease rate and residual value for a 39 month lease of a 2008 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD with 12,000 miles per year are 3.25% and 45%, respectively. Ford's lease program for the Explorer is actually better than this in certain areas. I would be happy to let you know if you are in an area that has an enhanced lease program on this truck if you tell me what state you are in.

Car_man
    Host
  • tawright4tawright4 Member Posts: 2
    Car_man -- I am shopping hard for a 2008 Explorer to lease. I am in the Columbus Ohio area, the dealerships seem to have a week inventory of 2008 Explorers. Some are offering 2007 Explorers up to $8000 off MSRP. Here are my questions:

1. What areas of the US are the Ford Explorer Lease programs better?

2. When Leasing who gets the rebates? Example --- newspaper ad says "buy now up to $5000 in rebates". Leasing a car one must negotiate the lowest possible cost of the vehicle but yet I was criptically told by the dealer it depends on the leasing company as to who gets the rebates. Basically I want the rebates and the lease cash...What gives?

3. Why are the 2008 Explorers so thin? In the past Ford has flooded the market with new models by now.

4. What institutions can I work directly with to lease a Ford besides Ford Motor Credit?
  • davidr719davidr719 Member Posts: 3
    Coming off the fantasic lease special that ran in the end of 2005/early 2006 with the eddie bauer 2006 explorer for $199/month sign and drive if you remember it...

My current offer:
    2008 Eddie Bauer
    39 mth///18K miles per year **** I drive a lot
    Navigation
    Eddie Bauer Luxury packade
    Sync
    Sun/Sirius
    Reverse sensing
    class 3 tow
    18inch Chrome Clad
    remote start factory installed
    39mth lease.
    + roof rack, cargo privacy, mats, etc
    MSRP - $37,770
    Rebates - $2,500 + $1,000 Bonus + $1,000 Loyalty = $ $4500.
    The residual they gave me is 39% ... ugh but i drive a lot.
    I know the hold back is $924
    I figured the money factory of .00052 or 1.25% even though they don't like to call it money factory.
    I know the dealer profit margin on an explorer is 9%
    I paid for cosumer reports bottom line pricing and basically offered them 3% over the overall invoice, even the invoice on the options, less holdback.

Their offer to me...$475 per month with $525 due a signing for 39mths
    keep in mind I am in PA so the lease tax is 9% as well.

Please someone evaluate this.
    There is no wear care or anything additional with this offer.

ALSO- Please respond to this as well...B/C i do 18k/year, i leave myself exposed dor 1 year to a gap in warranty because if i do 18k/year i will put 52k on it before I trade it in. Dealer is suggesting I pay extra $900 for warranty to fill gap...thoughts on the deal and warranty????Thanks!!!
    Hi davidr719. In your post you mentioned this truck's MSRP and what cash incentives are available on it. Are you being given a dealer discount on this truck on top of these incentives? If not, you need to do some more negotiation. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. If I was in the market for a 2008 Explorer right now, I personally would shoot for a selling price of around $500 over dealer invoice. If this deal is based upon full MSRP, this means that you probably will be able to negotiate another $1,250 to $1,500 off.

I personally would pass on the extended warranty, but if you decide to get one keep in mind that the selling prices of warranties are negotiable as well. Not only that, but you do not have to purchase your truck's extended warranty from the dealer that you get your truck from. You should be able to purchase an official Ford warranty from any Ford dealer and still be able to have your Explorer serviced wherever you want.

Car_man
    Host
  • leslie12leslie12 Member Posts: 15
    Hi carman. You have helped me in the past, now I have a question for my husband. He is about to lease an explorer xlt. The deal that he got was 39 months, 12k miles a year. MSRP is 34170. 2k down for all taxes, etc., and a monthly payment of $399. Do you think this seems ok?

Also, he was "suppose" to get sync, and then dealer was going to install a factory dvd navigation system. (all included in price). Now the dealer says that you cannot have sync and nav on the 08. Is that true? Now he is also saying that the deal he offered was so good that if we elect to not take the nav he will drop the $1995 from price. If we elect to drop the sync he will not credit the $395 because he offered us such a "good" deal that he is only making $16 on the deal.....I think this sounds shady.....what do you think? Do you think that he is telling the truth that you cannot have nav and sync in this car, and what do you think about his not agreeing to credit for the sync if this is true.

Thanks.
  • tawright4tawright4 Member Posts: 2
    Car_man -- I am shopping hard for a 2008 Explorer to lease. I am in the Columbus Ohio area, the dealerships seem to have a week inventory of 2008 Explorers. Some are offering 2007 Explorers up to $8000 off MSRP. Here are my questions:

1. What areas of the US are the Ford Explorer Lease programs better?

2. When Leasing who gets the rebates? Example --- newspaper ad says "buy now up to $5000 in rebates". Leasing a car one must negotiate the lowest possible cost of the vehicle but yet I was criptically told by the dealer it depends on the leasing company as to who gets the rebates. Basically I want the rebates and the lease cash...What gives?

3. Why are the 2008 Explorers so thin? In the past Ford has flooded the market with new models by now.

4. What institutions can I work directly with to lease a Ford besides Ford Motor Credit?
  • kscapkscap Member Posts: 7
    Car_Man,

Looking for a residual value and money factor on a 2008 Explorer XLT Limited. V6, 4 x 2, and NAV. Appreciate your help

MSRP: $36,600
    Invoice: $34,657
    Residual Value: $_____?
    Money Factor / APR: _______

Thanks.
    Hey leslie12. You never mentioned the selling price of the Explorer that your husband is interested in leasing. This is an important number for him as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing the price of the truck that he wants to lease he doesn't know how good a price he are getting it for. The second reason is that one needs the selling price of the vehicle that they want to lease is that it is necessary to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion of this deal if you let me know what its selling price is.

I am not sure if the Sync and Navigation systems can be offered in the same vehicle. It seems pretty strange that they can't, but perhaps in order for it to work they both have to be factory-installed.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello tawright4. Ford's lease program on the 2008 Explorer is slightly better in the New York area than it is in the rest of the country. Ford is currently providing $3,000 to $3,500 lease cash on the 2008 Explorer, the exact amount varies by region. What you do with this cash is negotiate a selling price on the Explorer that you want that's as close to dealer invoice as possible and then have the dealer that gives it to you deduct the lease cash from that to arrive at the capitalized cost for your lease.

Unfortunately, most banks do not deal directly with the general public when leasing vehicles. This is OK though because Ford Credit's lease program for this truck is so attractive that you probably won't be able to lease it for less through an independent bank anyhow.

Car_man
    Host
    Here's the information that you're looking for, kscap. This truck's lease program varies by term, mileage allowance and region. You never mentioned what any of these variables are, so for now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. Ford Credit's current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Ford Explorer XLT 2WD with 15,000 miles per year are 3.5% and 42%, respectively in most of the country. It is better than this in select areas.

Car_man
    Host
  • aleatoryaleatory Member Posts: 1
    Car_man,

I'm in Maryland, and am looking at leasing a 2008 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer v8 4x4. MSRP with options is $39,345 and the invoice is $36,411. There is an additional $3,500 lease incentive available. I am anticipating negotiating a high of $300 over invoice--$33,241.

What is the (1) residual value and (2) interest rate to lease this vehicle for 39 months with 15,000 miles per year?

Thanks in advance!
  • wbenedictwbenedict Member Posts: 27
    I'm from PA and I currently see a sign and drive advertised at $359/mo for 39 mos. and 10,500 miles per year for base model V6 4X4 Eddie Bauer. This price is before an additional $1,000 renewal cash, so my real monthly payment will be more like $332.

What is the residual value and money factor for this offer? I've had another dealer quote the exact same base model for $299/mo but with 1,264 due at signing and also having to pay that first month payment. This price is after the renewal cash. Need to evaluate the two offers.

Also, I had one dealer tell me to wait until March as there will be a better lease offer starting on 3/2. He didn't know the specifics - just said it would be better than the current offer.

Thoughts from anyone?
    Greetings aleatory. Thanks for providing tons of information in your post. Ford Credit's current base lease rate and residual value for a 39 month lease of a 2008 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 4WD with 15,000 miles per year are 3.75% and 42%, respectively. Let's use these numbers to calculate a sample lease payment and see what we come up with. According to my calculations, if you were to lease an '08 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD that has an MSRP of $39,345 and a selling price of $33,211 ($300 over invoice minus $3,500 lease cash), your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment would be around $506. Wow, that's a lot of money for an Explorer. If I was in the market for a mid-size SUV right now I would be more inclined to go with a Honda Pilot or a Toyota Highlander.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey wbenedict. Ford Credit's current base lease rate and residual value for a 39 month lease of a 2008 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V6 4WD with 10,500 miles per year in Pennsylvania are 3.75% and 45%, respectively. Ford's lease cash for the Explorer varies by region. You mentioned that you are in Pennsylvania, but not what part. The last time that I checked, Ford was providing $3,500 lease cash on the '08 Explorer in the Pittsburgh area and $4,000 on it in the Philadelphia area. I have not heard that Ford is planning to improve its lease program on the Explorer in March, but if a dealer is telling you to wait to get a new vehicle instead of trying to lock you into one right now there may be something to this rumor.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi kirk94. You're in a difficult situation. Normally I would advise someone who was so upside down on their vehicle to wait until they were less upside down to get something new. However, this does not sound like it is an option for you. If you have to get a new vehicle, at least you are able to do so through Ford's X-Plan. Access to this program should provide you with an extremely attractive selling price on the Explorer that you want without having to haggle. Since you are guaranteed to get a good price on your new vehicle, you need to focus on how much the dealer is giving you for your TL. The more the dealer gives you for your trade-in, the less upside down you are on it. Make sure to look up your car's Edmunds.com True Market Value in the Used Vehicle Pricing section of this site. You also may want to stop by the following discussion: "Real-World Trade-In Values". If you feel as though you are not being given enough for your TL, you can always comparison shop with a few other dealers in your area.

Car_man
    Host
  • westham999westham999 Member Posts: 5
    36 month lease on 2008 EB; Nav system; Power Moonroof; 18" Chrome clad Alum Wheel;Aux Climate Control; Reverse Sensing; 50/50 Fold 3rd Seat; Luxury Pkg;
    X-PLAN Price; Rebates total about $6.6K; Residual 17-18K; 10.5K miles per year
    Out of pocket = $1700. 36 X 480per month.
    Thanks for your comments.
  • audimanhoustonaudimanhouston Member Posts: 6
    Hi Carman,
    Looking to get 2010 Ford Explorer Sport Trac V6 4x2 Limited edition with couple of options for MSRP 34,700. I'm looking to lease, here is the info:

Houston Area
    15,000 or 12,000 miles/year for 36 months
    want to put very little to nothing down

Can you tell me any lease support/rebates that may apply to the price and also the money factor and residual values?
    Greetings to the semi-appropriately named audimanhouston (you have the place right, just not the vehicle :) ). Like all domestic manufacturers, Ford has decided to cut way back on leasing over the past year. While it is providing lease support on several models, unfortunately the Explorer is not currently one of them. It might be possible to lease an Explorer through an independent bank, but even if you were able to find a bank that was willing to lease one to you it likely would be a terrible deal.

If you really want a 2010 Explorer, you would be better off financing it through Ford Credit at 1.9% for 3 years, 2.9% for 4 years, or 3.9% for 5 years. OR financing paying cash for it or financing it through an independent bank and taking advantage of the $3,000 cash incentive that is available on it this month.

Car_man
    Host
  • audimanhoustonaudimanhouston Member Posts: 6
    thanks car_man, I have actually been a huge audi fan last few years and just got my second a4 in february - got a good deal on 2009 model thanks to your info on this message board. Had 2006 model before that but can definitely see how I threw you off :-).

I'm doing a bit of car shopping for my in-laws who lease cars for their business so they don't really have the buy option and their leases expire soon. my mother-in-law is deciding between audi q5 (fingers crossed) and mercedes GLK so I'll ping you for lease advice once she makes the decision. thanks for all your help.
  • chryssichryssi Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone...
    I need help... I lost my keys for my explorer, I had the vehicle towed up to the dealership & had 2 new keys & programing done. The vehicle was driven home & then started once. I had to run back into the house after I started it the second time & took the keys out. I came back out to leave & my car wouldnt start again.
    I know it has something to do w/ the keys cause my car is in rather good shape & nothing else could be the problem.
    Of course the dealership is denying any programing they did was wrong. Do you have any ideas??
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    Hi chryssi..

You'll have a better chance at getting an answer to your question here:

Ford Explorer Maintenance and Repair

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

No problem audimanhouston. Talk to you soon.

Car_man
    Host
  • chuck68516chuck68516 Member Posts: 195
    CarMan,

What are the current lease numbers for a 2011 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4 on a 27 and 36 month lease with 10,500 miles per year? Thanks as always and happy New Year.
  • petergriffinpetergriffin Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2011
    Car Man,

Do you know the January lease rate and residual for a 2011 Explorer Limited 4WD?
    10,500 miles, 36 months. I can register it in either zip code 68103 or 51501. Thanks.

Are there any rebates available for leases?
  • lovebenzlovebenz Member Posts: 9
    The Jan numbers are coming out tonight. I have the december. The best lease is the 24 month lease now. The XLT has a great 24 lease rate now. When I get Jan numbers I will post.
    Here are the Dec rates. I doubt they will change since the car just landed this week. I am going to pick one up in the next week. I don't have the limited here but they are higher than these

XLT
    24 Month
    tier 0-1 .75

tier 0-1 2.75

Base Residual
    24 (62)
    36 (53)
  • djhalptertdjhalptert Member Posts: 115
    Thanks. Was that for 10,500 miles?
    Yes. Sorry 10500
  • chuck68516chuck68516 Member Posts: 195
    Car Man or anyone......

I need the January lease rates for 2011 Explorer XLT 4X4. 27 and 36 months at 10,500 miles. Thanks.
    The rates didn't change from dec. The 24 month at .75 is way better than 2.75 at 36 month
  • slorettosloretto Member Posts: 22
    Sorry if this is an ignorant question, but I see there are some incentives for the 2011 Explorer. However, they are listed as "cash" incentives. Do these only apply to those purchasing the vehicle outright or also to those leasing?
    Thanks!
  • slorettosloretto Member Posts: 22
    also, any idea on what lease rate and residual will be for XLT for 12,000 miles?
    Thanks
    Great news on the explorer the residuals have increased 3%

so on an ext

24 month lease is now 70%
    36 month 67%

the limited
    24 65%
    36 62%

I am getting a limited next week. The car is amazing. Good luck finding one!
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    Do you care to share the details on your lease? I'm being quoted around $770 for a Limited 4WD with $0 down for cap cost reduction. Way too high for me, so I'm curious what others are seeing. When I build and price it on ford.com I come up with payments about $100 less, I realize that's just an estimate but I don't see anything that would make it be off that much.
  • scharrockscharrock Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to lease a 2011 Explorer Limited 4wd. I found one with a sticker of $47,605. They said I could have x plan pricing of $44429. I need an 18k mile lease. With no cap reduction they quoted $710 for 36 mos and $783 for 24 mos. Due to the extra miles they said the residual was 59% for 24 mos and 50% for 36. Are these good prices? Also, this is in the Chicago region. Lastly, how does the credit tier ranking work? I checked my credit score on line and my FICO score was 699. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • steevosteevo Member Posts: 389
    Really need to ask if paying 783 to lease a Ford Explorer is a good deal? Regardless of opinion of vehicle, you should simply compare what else is available. Go to the Acura MDX lease questions forum for examples of good lease prices for an even more expensive vehicle.
    Personally, I would draw the line at 550 for an explorer lease. And preferably would pay 450 or less. Otherwise I would lease a luxury nameplate.
    FWIW, you should ask a dealer for a lease quote on an Expedition.You may be surprised....
    Stay away from the Honda Pilot lease forum.... you can probably get 2 for what you are considering paying...
  • jackomojackomo Member Posts: 11
    Hi Steevo,

I agree with your comments about the high cost of a lease on Ford Explorer. However I am curious about your recommendation to stay away from Honda Pilot lease forum? I am considering the Pilot as an alternative to explorer as dealers will probably negotiate better pricing as it is not a new model.
This discussion has been closed.