Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda S2000 Lease Questions

Comments

• rujorujo Posts: 132
    1) Selling price is the first and most important item to negotiate when you want to lease a car. People are reporting quotes as low as $28,500 recently - you may not get that low a price, but $29,000-29,500 should be achievable . . . and I assume the LA market is very competitive. (I received a quote of $28,888 this week from a dealer I know and trust in the SF Bay Area.)

2) AHFC uses your Experian Auto Fico 2 score. Unfortunately, this score is not available to the consumer and may vary by 20-40 points from the score you pull. (I know this from recent personal experience!) An Experian Auto Fico 2 score of 710 qualifies you for the super preferred credit tier - I don't know how or whether AHFC factors in other aspects of your credit history. I'd be at least a little wary of the info you're getting from this dealer - they're almost certainly trying to put you into a lease they can make more money on - and they are probably smelling your "S2000 lust".

3) At leasecompare.com I input your Fico score along with a "selling price" of $29,000 with nothing down. I got back a 48mo/12k payment of $398 plus tax. Remember this is with zero down. It's zip code specific and, I suppose, might vary depending upon where you live. But I certainly wouldn't do a non-AHFC lease with anyone before seeing what leasecompare.com comes up with.
  • Thanks rujo.

I also run the numbers again and it seems 0 down and 400+tax would be an OK deal with an APR of approx.6% on a 48mo/12 k deal. Leasecompare just does not seem to include any fees tilte, first month etc. which end up being around $1500 at drive off.

I am currently pushing numbers with a dealer who is dying to run my credit. The only thing I am still sketchy about is whether I would qualify for a special w- AHFC (if there is one coming out) and whether other tears would benefit from it also.
    I have scheduled to go to the dealer again tomorrow.
    It would be great if anyone in this forum knows anything about how AHFC deals with it. :confuse:

Thanks!
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Posts: 38,518
    Hi tonyr313. You never mentioned the selling price or MSRP of the car that you are interested in leasing. These are important numbers for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing this car's selling price in relation to its MSRP you don't know how much of a discount you are getting on it. The second reason is that one needs the selling price and MSRP, including the destination charge, of a vehicle to calculate its lease payment. I would be glad to give you my opinion of this deal if you let me know what these numbers are.

For now I can tell you that it is not a good idea to pay $5,000 at lease signing. There's nothing wrong with paying the first month's payment, security deposit, etc... for a lease at signing but you really shouldn't make any sort of capitalized cost reduction. Consumers who make large down payments on leased vehicles risk possibly losing them if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi Dennis. Honda's incentives for the S2000 are the same in May as they were in April. It still does not have a special lease program on this car, but in April it introduced $2,000 dealer cash on it. This was a pretty big step up from zero dealer cash in March, especially when we are heading into prime top-down season. This is definitely an indication that the S2000 is not selling nearly as well as Honda would like.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi 23109vc. Let's work up a lease payment and see what we come up with. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2007 Honda S2000 that has an MSRP of $34,845 and a selling price of $29,605 ($2,000 under invoice) through Honda Finance right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment would be around $407, assuming that you qualify for its "Super Preferred" credit tier and pay a security deposit at lease signing.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi accelerator. Yes, the first thing that you should do on a vehicle that you are interested in leasing is negotiate an attractive selling price.

Vehicles' residual values are based upon their full MSRPs, including the destination charge and any factory installed options. I am not sure if Honda Finance allows the dealer-installed options to be residualized.

The capitalized cost for your lease is whatever price you negotiate. If I was in the market for an S2000 right now, I personally would shoot for a price of around dealer invoice minus the $2,000 dealer cash as you mentioned in your post, but there is no guarantee that you will be able to get hat price.

General Motors is no longer offering leases on 2006 models. If you want to lease an '06 Pontiac Grand Prix, you will have to do so through an independent bank. I have to tell you though that this late in the model year the residual values of leftover 2006 models have dropped so much that they probably are going to be unreasonably expensive to lease.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi cantwait_s2k. Technically, consumers only need a credit score of 710 or better to qualify for Honda Finance's top aka "Super Preferred" credit tier. Having said this, I'm not sure how your limited credit history and limited residence in the United States will have an impact upon your approval for this tier. I suspect that there is a decent chance that you would be approved for the "Super Preferred" tier, but I cannot guarantee that you would be.

When the dealer told you that a special lease program on this car would not benefit you they were incorrect. When Honda offers special lease money factors on a vehicle, it provides lower than normal rates for all credit tiers, not just its top one. While you might not qualify for the lowest available lease money factor if Honda introduced a special lease program on the S2000, you would qualify for a factor that is better than what you would normally have to pay. Of course, there is no guarantee that Honda will introduce a special lease program on the S2000 in the near future. Its current program is scheduled to run through July 2nd.

You never mentioned the selling price or MSRP of the car that you are interested in leasing. These are important numbers for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing this car's selling price in relation to its MSRP you don't know how much of a discount you are getting on it. The second reason is that one needs the selling price and MSRP, including the destination charge, of a vehicle to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion on the deal that you were quoted if you let me know what these numbers are.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • acceleratoraccelerator Posts: 136
    This is just a thought I wanted to post here but with a car with the reliability and quality of the S2000, do you see any problems with a 48 month lease? I know you should not lease a vehicle longer than the warranty covers.

Your thoughts? Thanks.
  • dwynnedwynne Posts: 4,018
    They can lease it to you as a used car. They show the retail value (what the lease will be based on - like the MSRP of a new lease car) at $28,875. In my ZIP with a 730 FICO they show a lease with a residual of $17,091, MF of 0.00290 (6.96%), and a payment of $496 + taxes per month with nothing but first payment and TTL due at signing.

If I put in a new 07 with a selling price of $30,500 (conservative) it comes up with $18,468 0.00258 $485 - so for less money you could lease the 07. Payments would go lover the lower you get the price. $454 a month if you could get the price down to $29,500.

Dennis
    I would not do it. The 36 month lease is normally the sweet spot in the leasing curve. The 24 month normally has too little time to overcome the rapid initial depreciation. The 48 month saves a little each month, but normally not that much. I checked the 3rd party lease offer on a new S2000 and the difference is just $45 per month, or about 10% of the monthly payment. I would suggest that if an extra $45 a month is a deal breaker on a $450 per month lease, that you probably do not need to be leasing this car at this time.

Dennis
    Sorry for being a broken record here..

Using my handy-dandy little lease calculator, I come up with the same monthly payment, but what I'm still a little confused about is what to figure in for misc. fees. I know with financing, you have the doc fee, title fee, inventory tax, license fee, and sales tax. On a $25k car, that adds up to $1845 so the amount being financed is $26,845 (assuming no trade). From this, I can figure what monthly payment would be and I'd be accurate +/- $15 depending on when the first payment would be due.

When I went to the dealer, he said my calculations were off but he would not necessarily say where or why and yet when others post their numbers on this forum, I'm able to able to come up with very near figures to what dwayne and Car_Man have posted (I work through all their examples). I'm so frustrated I'm having second thoughts about even getting the S (okay, not really, I want the car too much) but you know what I mean.

On a lease, do I still pay those fees I mentioned above? Car_Man posted in a different response to me about if $45 is too much that I might not want this car. While $45 wont break the bank, I just want to make sure I'm not getting rear-ended in the deal by the dealer sneaking in bogus fees.

I found a lease worksheet on edmunds site and another one on carbuyingtips.com which are very helpful but again, you have to know the fees they are inserting just because and which ones they are inserting so they can bump up the cost.

Frustratedly yours,
    accelerator
    All those fees vary from dealer to dealer, city to city, and state to state - so it is hard/impossible for someone else to figure those for you.

In most states, sales tax is due on any cap cost reduction you make, then tax is added to the monthly payment - but some states figure it differently.

"Doc" fees, inventory tax, business tax, and those kinds of things are often added to deals and are (to me) just extra profit. So I usually ask for a price for the car w/destination and and dealer fees added - the no big surprises when signing the papers.

Title fees and tag vary and have to be paid or rolled into the lease.

The lease acquisition fee has to be paid or rolled into the lease. This is $595 for a Honda captive lease and varies with 3rd party banks.

A security deposit may be due, the is the amount of your monthly payment (including tax) rounded up to the nearest $25 or $50 increment. Again, this varies from bank to bank and has to be paid or rolled into the lease. At lease end you get this back when you turn in the car and no damage/problems are found - of if you buy the car of lease end. Honda, and others, may offer no security deposit leases to returning customers or in exchange for a slightly higher money factor (with Honda it is 0.0001). Normally, if you run the numbers you are better off paying the extra and not rolling the security deposit into the lease - but it all depends on the amount and how much MF is costs. Some lease banks offer a reduced MF if you pay more than one month's deposit at lease signing!

So you get the price for the car with destination and any dealer fees included, you add in the acq fee, the security deposit (if any), your taxes on the up front money (if any), the security deposit (if any), then the title and tags fees and that should be the cap cost for the lease. The residual and MF are what they are, and you run the numbers and get your payment - not including tax.

Any dealer not willing to explain the numbers to you is not one I would want to deal with - I don't think. Before I sign anything it has to come out to the penny with what I figure, if not then I have to see why not or I don't sign. One example is a "old stock" car with a slightly lower MSRP number - that results in a lower residual that you might get using the current MSRP.

I had dealer once give me a much higher number than I got using the MF and residual. When I called him on it he said "Oh I included our wheel and tire protection package. I do that in all my leases". Yeah right, all the ones where the buyer does not catch you adding hundreds in fluff money.

The $45 comment was mine - the way I figure it a 48 month lease VS a 36 month lease would save $45 a month plus taxes, which is not that much on a $450 or so per month lease. If the $45 extra on the 36 month is a deal breaker - just too much money - then I would not lease the car.

Dennis
    Dennis,

Thank you so much for outlining this. I was able to FINALLY arrive at a number much closer to what I have been quoted!

This was an excellent write up (too bad it cant be made a sticky).

Thanks again, Dennis! I don't feel so lost or overwhelmed now.

Daryl
    I've heard from dealers that Honda more than likely wont offer the lease specials since they don't want them back due to their slow sales. Is that just a dealer's pitch to incourage me to do the current deal OR is there some truth to this statement?

I've got a deal on the table that I would be comfortable with doing but I'd be willing to wait three weeks to see next months incentive if there is a chance for the lease special.
    That is a good point, but Mazda still did cheap leases on the RX-8 and they REALLY can't sell those. A dealer should be able to sell a used S for $20k or less off lease. Of course, the idea is the new lessee will love the car so much they will buy them off lease.

If you can get the car for close to invoice less $2,000 including deal fees, that is a hot deal. Either buy at that price, 3rd party lease, or Honda lease - whichever is the best deal. Over in the price paid forum, a dealer in CA is offering a new 07 S for $28,888 or something like that. For those kind of prices, it is hard to go wrong on any deal.

They may come back with cheap leases, but (like the current Accord deal) they are not likely to do incentive AND cheap lease on the same deal. When I checked, the cheap lease at invoice is better than the standard lease at $2k under invoice. But you don't KNOW for sure what they will do and spring is here :D

Dennis
    This is what they presented to me:
    48 months/48k miles
    msrp $34,845
    $2860 down (I have $830 in negative equity I'm rolling over into the deal)

How is this deal?

Bottom line, is this a good deal? I'm happy with the monthly payment. I took it home overnight to see how it fits in my lifestyle and it is a pretty extreme ride (but that is for another thread/forum).
    $360 after all is said and done with.

Regarding the 48 month lease, my wife is really against this car so if I want it, I have to do 48 because once I have it, I wont be able to get another sports car of this calibur again. :) My wife also said due to the increase in insurance that $360 is my cap for a car payment. And about what my wife says, that is another topic of discusssion. ;)

The cap cost reduction is $2500 and $360 is the first payment.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    So you will basically be paying $19,780 to lease a car for 48 months that you could buy outright for $29,000 + taxes? Again, I prefer to pay cash and buy, but if leasing is what it takes to get you (and your wife) into a great car, I say go for it.
    While my current car is nice (all wheel drive, heated leather seats, turbo, sun roof - has just about every available option) but the drive is dull and boring, poor gas mileage (20.1 mpg which I track) I still had 50+ payments (traditional financing) and my monthly payment was around $350. $10 more (excluding the insurance increase), I get to drive the insanely fun S2000? :)

To be honest, financing a $30k is out of my budget since my wife is starting her own home-based business and we aren't sure yet how it will do. Leasing is the only option for me.

I may have to drop off the forums once I do the deal because Murphy's Law says that after you sign the deal, you'll find an even better deal next month. :)
    I'm now the proud lesee of a 2007 Rio Yellow S2000 and I couldn't be more happier with my decision. I thought about waiting til next month to see what offers would be around but became impatient. :) I got an incredible deal on the financing terms. Could it have been better if I waited? Maybe. I got much lower than the .00285 money factor and given I rolled over almost $1000 of negative equity, I couldn't be happier with my monthly payment of $360.00 (not a penny more). I may not be posting for a while as I'll be out driving... Now what do I name her? ;) I'm thinking "Little Miss Sunshine" :blush:
This discussion has been closed.