Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MINI Cooper Lease Questions

Comments

• rockurocku Posts: 4
    J.

Please help me understand this downpayment thing.
    Banks are pay interest next to zero these dates. MF 0025 is 6% APR.
    If I don't carry any debt and have decent saving in the bank.
    Any reason why shouldn't I go for it?

Thank you for your time. :D
  • Again, you should read through the many threads that have been posted on this subject. Probably the biggest reason is should you total your car during the lease you will likely lose every $ of your downpayment.

Instead, I would suggest the Multiple Security Deposit program, which will reduce the MF, and you will get the $$ back should the car be totalled. Ask your dealer or read up on the forums. When I did my lease, the ROI on the 7 security deposits I made calculated to about 8%/year - which is a no-brainer given other investment options these days.
  • Hello CarMan... I have a lease question, Im wondering whether I should pull the trigger on this deal. Here are the stats...this deal is in Miami, Florida.

2009 Mini Cooper S
    MSRP: 27450.00
    Selling price $25950.00
    Money Factor: 0.00290
    Residual Value 67%
    Lease end value $18391.56
    $602.19 Cash Down
    Total Add Cap Cost: $925.00
    $2000 Inception
    36 Month Lease
    10k miles
    Monthly Payment $372.85 including tax.

FYI: These figures were taken directly from the Mini Saleperson worksheet, I took a picture of it and can email it to you if you need to look it over. Is this a good deal? We walked out, and 15 minutes later we got a call saying that the lowest they can go is $342.00 including tax. What should I do? Please help and thank you!!!
  • megirnmegirn Posts: 2
    I am considering a lease offer for a 2009 Mini Cooper (MSRP $20,450.) for $199. It is for 36 months, 10,000 miles/year, plus tax, tag, title and dealer pre-delivery service fee of $599.95. $2,500. due at lease signing. Does this sound like a good deal? Any questions we need to ask them? Thank you for your assistance.
  • Hi mgm11937. I believe that BMW's money factors for Mini vary by region. They should generally be around .00230 to .00280 though. Its residual values fore Mini are the same nationwide. The 36 month, 15,000 mile peer year residual value for a 2009 Mini Cooper S Hatchback is currently 64%.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • Hi toky. Despite the implosion in the auto industry, Mini sales have held up fairly well. If I was in the market for a base Mini Cooper right now I personally would shoot for a dealer discount of around $1,000.

BMW's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a base 2009 Mini Cooper with 12,000 miles per year should be around .00240 and 69%, respectively (man, what an amazing resid).

I see that you are considering making a $1,999 down payment on this car. It is in your best interest not to make any capitalized cost reduction when leasing. I always advise consumers not to do so because if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered, there is a good chance that any cap cost reduction that was paid will disappear.

Car_man
    Host
  • Hi jorgedbernal. The selling price that you were quoted for this car looks good to me, but you may be able to shave another couple hundred dollars off. The money factor looks slightly high, but it varies by region so I don't know what the exact number should be in your neck of the woods. The dealer is likely marking it up a little. If you have the time, it wouldn't hurt to get a quote from another dealer or two to see what sort of money factor they quote you.

Obviously, the $342 payment is a lot more attractive than the $372 payment that you were initially quoted. You should find out what selling price and money factor were used to arrive at the new deal.

Car_man
    Host
  • HI megirn. The best way to evaluate whether this is a good deal is to look at the selling price that this lease is based upon and the money factor that was used to calculate the monthly payment. These are the two main profit centers for dealers on leases. Let us know what these numbers are and I'm sure that either myself or another helpful community member will be glad to give you their opinion.

One thing that I noticed about this deal is the large amount of money that is due at lease signing. I always advise consumers not to make any capitalized cost reduction when leasing. Those who make them risk losing part or all of them if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered. Even though it means that your monthly payment will be slightly higher, you will be better off going with a zero down lease.

Car_man
    Host
  • megirnmegirn Posts: 2
    Are fees for dealer doc. fee ($600.), battery, tires, doc stamps (218.), security (225.), up front taxes (253.) normal fees or just profit for this particular dealership?
  • tokytoky Posts: 9
    The dealership was giving a hard time going lower than 0.0029 MF. Credit score is 770.

They started at MF of 0.0031 and came down to 0.0029. I think he said something about the dealer buys the money at 0.0025.

Doc fees of $395 and registration fee of $200.

Would the MF be different for Cooper S rather than a non-S? And if so, what should it be for a Cooper S?
  • where did he get such a discount? I am currently looking at getting a Mini Cooper S that has a sticker price of $27,450 but they are only knocking off 1,000 on it. I am planning on doing a 2yr lease and the MF and residuals are good, i was just hoping to get the car in the 25K range. any ideas ( I live in PA)
  • Hey megirn. Most banks that lease vehicles charge consumers a security deposit that is equivalent to their vehicle's monthly payment rounded up to the nearest $25 or $50 increment.

The battery, tires, and other fees that you mentioned are likely legitimate charges that are levied by your state.

Doc fees on the other hand aren't really anything more than a way for dealers to pad their profit in deals. Adding insult to injury, a $600 doc fee is particularly high. Look at this fee as part of your car's total selling price. If the price that you are getting it for, including this charge, is less than you would have to pay for it elsewhere...then go for it. If you think that this fee makes the price that you are being charged unreasonably high, then comparison shop with a few other dealers.

Car_man
    Host
  • Hi toky. On most vehicles, consumers who shop around are able to find a dealer that will charge them the dealer buy rate on leases...particularly in today's difficult retail environment.

The money factors for all Mini models are exactly the same.

Car_man
    Host
  • jvostjvost Posts: 31
    Hi - Can anyone out there confirm BMWFS's acquisition fees for a Mini Cooper lease? I see from the board that many dealers are charging $925, but I think the dealers may be marking the fee up an additional $200 from the finance company's actual fee of $725. Also, can anyone confirm what the buy rate for the MF is for February? According the following website the factor is .00219, which is significantly lower than what I see being reported on earlier posts. Again, I'm assuming the dealers are marking this up.

http://www.ridewithg.com/index.php/2009/02/09-mini-cooper-lease-rates-for-februa- ry-2009/
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Posts: 38,515
    Hi jvost. BMW Financial Services' base acquisition fee is indeed $725. BMW dealers, and I suppose Mini dealers, are notorious for trying to mark up BMW FS' base fee to add additional hidden profit to deals. You should be able to find a dealer that will charge you the base fee if you negotiate with them some more or shop around.

BMW's money factors for Minis vary by region. They should probably be anywhere from .00210 to .00240 depending upon where you live.

If you are not 100% set on leasing, you might be interested in the fact that 4.9% financing for up to 5 years on Minis.

Car_man
    Host
  • lala711lala711 Posts: 2
    I ordered an '09 Clubman due here in 9 weeks, and wanted to get some opinions on the lease I was offered:

MSRP: $26,200
    Selling Price: $25,700
    Lease Terms: 3 yrs/12,000 miles per yr
    Residual: 68%
    Cap. Cost Reduction: 873
    Acquisition Fee: $925
    Security Deposit: $400
    Tax, Title, License Fees: $369

This gets me the car with about $2K out the door. Based on these numbers, I'm calculating the MF around .00208. I'm trying to figure out how to make this deal better... any thoughts? I know the acq. fee was increased by the dealer by $200, and I'm thinking I may be able to get another $500 off MSRP (for a total of $1K off)... do you think I should ask for more? Or would you say this is a good deal? Thanks for the hlep!
  • oileroiler Posts: 1
    Where: Indianapolis, IN
    What: Cooper S
    MSRP: 25,100
    Lease: 36 months
    MIles: 15,000 per year
    Amt down: $0

Credit approved (good to excellent) - asked the dealer (in an email) the mf used and residual value - to which he didn't answer but shot back the monthly $ figure for this lease would be...

$445

This seems high?

Is it possible to derive the mf from the above info?

Capitalized cost - is this the MSRP figure? Or are there other figures added (tax, fees, etc)??

Residual Value - is 68% correct? Would it then be 68% of the MSRP figure

By the way, I replied back via email that the monthly was too high and that their mf being used must be too high - said thx for the help and that I would look elsewhere. He has since left a message to call him

What is a "reasonable" amount to be paying monthly for the above setup?

Thx in advance
  • dsluckidslucki Posts: 8
    Car_Man - I am interested in the buy rate money factor for April on a Cooper S Convertible. I've been quoted .0024. Also, would you advise someone to pay a security deposit and an acquisition fee to lower the money factor? Thanks in advance.
    Hi dslucki. BMW's April buy rate lease money factor for the 2009 Mini Cooper S Convertible was right around the .00240 that you were quoted. I say right around because it varies by region, but the factor that you were quoted is very similar to the ones that I have seen.

BMW's April residual value for a 36 month, 15,000 mile per year lease of this car was 59%.

This lease program was scheduled to run through April 30th, but I suspect that its May program will be very similar...if not exactly the same.

Car_man
    Host
  • dsluckidslucki Posts: 8
    Car_Man - thanks for the info. I am in Southern California if that makes a difference on the numbers. Do you see any changes to the residual and money factor for May? Thanks!
    No problem, dslucki. Mini's May lease program is slightly worse than its April program was. I believe that in most areas its buy rate lease money factor is .00010 higher this month. Its residual value for the terms that I mentioned previously is 1% lower.

Car_man
    Host
  • ufjen34ufjen34 Posts: 2
    I am planning to visit a couple of mini cooper dealerships this weekend. I have always been opposed to leasing because I would be obsessed with making sure I was within the mileage limits. However, I have decided to keep my current car and get the mini as a second car, making the mileage limits a non-issue. A collegue is strongly pushing a lease, but I really know nothing about them. Can someone please tell me the main things to look for to make sure I am getting a good leasing deal? I would like to keep any lease payment under $350 and so far like minis in the 22-24K price range, is this type of a lease payment even feasible? Any information about the above questions or leasing vs. traditional purchase would be greatly appreciated (I really would rather not do the Mini Select purchase as I don't want a balloon payment at the end, but the dealers really seem to push this financing option).

Thanks
  • ufjen34ufjen34 Posts: 2
    I am planning to visit a couple of mini cooper dealerships this weekend. I have always been opposed to leasing because I would be obsessed with making sure I was within the mileage limits. However, I have decided to keep my current car and get the mini as a second car, making the mileage limits a non-issue. A collegue is strongly pushing a lease, but I really know nothing about them. Can someone please tell me the main things to look for to make sure I am getting a good leasing deal? I would like to keep any lease payment under $350 and so far like minis in the 22-24K price range, is this type of a lease payment even feasible? Any information about the above questions or leasing vs. traditional purchase would be greatly appreciated (I really would rather not do the Mini Select purchase as I don't want a balloon payment at the end, but the dealers really seem to push this financing option).
  • slhouse1slhouse1 Posts: 16
    car_man & kyfdx:

Looking for June buy rate money lease factor for a 2009 Mini Cooper Hardtop Base with MSRP = $20,450 (Auto)
    36 mos/12K miles and corresponding residual value.

From your previous posts, it appears these little cars hold their value pretty well, but assume it has dropped since the previous quotes of 68-69%.

In Illinois, would be looking for zero down and rolling all tax/title/license into the deal. (we pay sales tax on the entire SP in IL). No trade, would like to "sign and drive". First quote came in at MSRP ~ $287.xx/month. Seems high...few posts here said to expect at least 1K off MSRP. Thoughts? and thanks for your knowledge!
  • gerstchgerstch Posts: 9
    Hi,
    I am looking at a 2009 mini cooper s convertible with an MSRP of 33,800.

I got an email from the sales guy today telling me that the residual on a 36 months, 10K/yr lease is 20618 - which calculates to 61% (20618/33800).
    He then tells me that the money factor is .00335 and the "payment all inclusive" is $638 with $1000 down but I don't have any other info about what that is including until tomorrow.

I want to be armed with accurate info tomorrow as I think he is marking up the money factor etc. I know rates vary by region - this is las vegas 89138.
    I know the acquisition fee is supposed to be $725 - anything else to look for as far as scams?
    Should there be any doc fees on a lease like there is on a purchase?
    Thanks for any help!
    Hi ufjen34. Since you are new to the world of leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

In short, the best way to get a good deal on a leased vehicle is to negotiate the lowest possible selling price on the car that you want and then have the dealer calculate your monthly payment using its buy rate lease money factor.

Check out the articles and let us know if you have any questions.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi slhouse1. Mini is actually running a special lease program on the Cooper Hardtop in June. This is the first time that I recall seeing it provide lease support. Its residual values are incredible (totally unrealistic). If I was in the market for a Cooper, I definitely would lease it.

Mini's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a base 2009 Cooper Hardtop with 12,000 miles per year are .00230 and get this 70%, respectively. 70% on a 3 year lease. That's nuts. BMW's going to take a bath when these things come back in three years, but it's great for consumers.

Car_man
    Host
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,079
    Hey, Car_man..

What are comparable numbers on an "S" hardtop lease? 3yr/45K..

Thanks!

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• grant33grant33 Posts: 1
    I've never done a lease and I'm getting educated and I would love to get your advice.

We are looking at leasing a Mini Cooper Hardtop with the premium package coming out to MSRP 22,500.

Since this lease deal is pretty good, do you think I will still be able to negotiate to a lower MSRP?

Anything I should look for on this June lease special?

Thanks!

Grant
    Hey kyfdx. Here's the info that you're looking for.

Mini's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Mini Cooper S .00230 and 64%, respectively. That's a pretty solid lease program for a car that traditionally has not had any lease support available on it.

Thinking about getting one?

Car_man
    Host
This discussion has been closed.