Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saab 9-3 Lease Questions

Comments

• jescuejescue Posts: 521
    Well you may be liable for the brakes even if you could turn it in now. Brakes are just like tires in that they are wear items not covered by warranty. You are responsible for the vehicle being in normal operating condition as well as routine maintenance. I will say that $1000 seems quite high. You might try a shop that specializes in Saabs (other than the dealer). I see no way out of the lease 10 months early without it costing you in the end.
  • saablcpsaablcp Posts: 195
    Returning a car with brakes worn beyond safety standards would not be excluded as "normal wear and tear" by any leasing agent.The only thing "normal" about brakes are the fact that you WILL wear them out in the course of driving and with the exception of BMW,NO manufacturer covers them under warranty.The price you are being quoted is only slightly higher than I would expect for pads and rotors.In addition....if you are just doing brakes for the first time at 42,000 miles I would suggest you you don't realize how lucky you are .That is well above normal replacement mileage for almost any car.In addition,Why and how does the fact you have to pay for replacement brakes influence your decision as to whether you buy the car at lease end? Any car,leased or otherwise,will require up keep.Can't wait to read your post when your tires need replacing!!LOL!
  • Ahhh, thanks for the information dhanley. That's silly. I could see why the GM Card would have excluded Saturn models years ago when the brand was first launched and it refused to provide cash incentives on them, but now it has all sorts of incentives on Saturns. As far as Saab goes, perhaps GM is trying to distance it from the rest of its divisions to help maintain the image that it is an independent Swedish brand. Either way, the exclusion of these brands doesn't make much sense to me.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • Hi al2007. Since you are new to leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

As far as this specific lease goes, you never mentioned the selling price of the 9-3 that you are interested in leasing. This is an important number for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing the price of the car that you want to lease you don't know how good a price you are getting it for. The second reason is that one needs the selling price of a vehicle that they want to lease is that it is necessary to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion of this deal if you let me know what its selling price is.

Car_man
    Host
  • Hello ronsf. This selling price would definitely be high if you were paying cash for this vehicle, but it's not too bad for a lease because the $4,000 consumer cash incentive that is available on this model is not compatible with its special lease program. It is probably around $700 or so over dealer invoice. You may want to stop by the following discussion to see how much other community members have paid for similar models lately: "Saab 9-3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience". The lease rate that you were quoted for this car is right in line with this model's base lease rate.

Car_man
    Host
  • Hi mahoba. I don't know what Saab's specific policy on this matter is, but most banks allow dealers to mark-up their base lease rates and money factors to add additional hidden, back-end profit to deals. That is why it is important to make sure that the dealer you are working with is using the base rate to calculate your monthly payment.

Car_man
    Host
  • Hi ddemayo. You are fortunate to be in an area where there is probably a number of Saab dealers. It would be in your best interest to comparison shop with a few of them. Also, since you are new to the world of leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

You never mentioned the selling price or MSRP of the 9-3 that you are interested in leasing. These are important numbers for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing what this vehicle's selling price is in relation to its MSRP you don't know how much of a discount you are getting on it. The second reason is that one needs the selling price and MSRP, including the destination charge, of a vehicle to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion of this deal if you let me know what these numbers are.

Car_man
    Host
  • Greetings codydog1. The following informative article will show you how to use the lease rate and residual value data that you have seen mentioned in this discussion to calculate a monthly lease payment: Calculate Your Own Lease Payment. Check it out and let me know if you have any questions.

Car_man
    Host
  • Hi soonerfan1. Thanks for taking the time to share the details of the lease that you negotiated with everyone. It looks like you got a good deal to me. I'm glad that you enjoyed your buying experience so much. Make sure to stop by the Edmunds.com Dealer Ratings & Reviews section to share your thoughts on this dealer with others. Enjoy your new ride!

Car_man
    Host
  • Hi uncjedi. Ideally, you would wait until you are less upside down on your Tahoe to get something new. If you absolutely cannot wait, it is important to get the lowest selling price that you can on the car that you are interested in. What is this car's MSRP? This is a useful number to know because it will show how much of a discount you are being given on this car. Let me know and I'll tell you what I think.

Saab's current base lease rate for the 2007 9-3 SportCombi is 3.5% with the payment of a security deposit at lease signing for both of the terms that you mentioned. Make sure that the dealer you are working with uses this rate to calculate your monthly payment.

Car_man
    Host
  • Hey uncjedi. You can look up the exact dealer invoice price of the car that you are interested in by visiting the following section of this site: Edmunds.com New Vehicle Pricing. If I was in the market for a lease of a non-demo 9-3, I personally would shoot for a selling price of around $500 over invoice. I would need a price that's significantly below that to go with a demo. The problem that I have with demo vehicles is that dealers never seem to be willing to discount them enough for me to personally justify purchasing or leasing one over a similar brand new car.

Car_man
    Host
  • Hi wokscott. The 2007 Saab 9-3 has a spread of around $1,500 between its MSRP and dealer invoice price. Saab is not currently providing any cash incentives on leases of this model. As a result, the $2,200 discount that you were quoted on this car looks very attractive to me. The lease rate that you were quoted is right in line with Saab's base rate for this model. This looks like a good deal. If you like the car, go for it.

Car_man
    Host
  • You are right, confused13. The 5.35% lease rate that you were quoted for this car is too high. Saab's current base lease rate for any length lease of a 2007 9-3 Sedan is currently only 3.35%. Make sure that the dealer you are working with uses this rate to calculate your monthly payment. You may be able to do a couple hundred dollars better than the $700 discount that you were quoted is well. Make sure to stop by the "Saab 9-3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience" discussion to see how much other community members have paid for similar cars lately.

Car_man
    Host
  • Hey astern26. I would be happy to give you an idea of what sort of lease payment you can expect to pay on these cars. It would be a big help though if you would provide me with the MSRPs and dealer invoice prices of the exact models that you are interested in as you want them equipped first. You can look up these prices in the Edmunds.com New Vehicle Pricing section.

Car_man
    Host
  • Hi eschule. Saab is currently running an early lease termination program that you could use to get out of your lease early. Unfortunately though this program, if you are even eligible for it with ten payments left, only waived four months worth of payments. That means that you would still have to waste six of your remaining payments to get out of your car right now. It sounds like you waited too long to get new brake pads and may not have to replace the rotors, which is obviously very expensive. Unfortunately, I personally don't see any way for you to avoid having to pay to fix this.

Car_man
    Host
  • Hi Car_man,

Can you tell me where I can find more details on the Saab early lease termination? Is this only when you purchase/lease another Saab? Or does it apply to any new GM lease or purchase?

Thanks!
    Just keep one thing in mind car_man...even though the two point mark-up by the dealer is more often than not done to earn finance profit,GMAC will approve applications which SFSC would have rejected if there are credit issues by accepting the contract with a MANDATORY two point increase to the standard rate.I don't know that this is the case in regard to this person but is a possible explanation.
  • Most DIY folks can do that job, using new Brembo (better than the OEMs) rotors, for less than $250. It's an easy job - I would suggest you get out your wrenches.
  • Thanks Carman. This dealer said he would "give me" his "buy rate" of 4.35%. He also tried to tell me that the difference between invoice price and MSRP on this vehicle was only $600! Their price was about $1000 high. I walked.
  • Not the case. I have very good credit score.
  • Hi bluebird23. I'm not aware of any place on the web that contains information on the early lease termination program, but it definitely exists. I am not 100% positive, but I believe that you would be able to get out of your current Saab early if you purchase or lease any other GM vehicle, not just a new Saab.

Car_man
    Host
    Then your dealer is simply trying to maximize the profit in the deal by upping the back-end finance reserve. Those extra two points of interest are simply a source of dealer profit that the average consumer would have no way of tracking.I suggest you ask for an explanation.If they don't agree to revert to the standard lease rate take your business elsewhere.
    It does apply to other GM vehicles.Maximum payments currently forgiven is 2 months....anything in excess of 2 months is simply rolled into the next lease or paid off lump sum by the lessee.
  • So I decided today to move ahead with the lease on an 07 Saab 9-3 Aero Sport Combi. Filled out the paperwork this AM, gave the dealer a deposit, supposed to pick the car up Thursday. About an hour ago I get a call from the dealer asking if I have another car loan - I said yes (had it since 2003, its set to mature next year, though I am on track to pay it off early). Original loan balance was around $28k, and I am down to a balance owed of $6700.00. I also have a current lease with VW Credit (made by last payment already, car goes back next week). I've never had a late payment on either the current loan or lease, and my credit is just under 700. Anyway, the dealer tells me now that GMAC wants the current loan paid off in full first - huh? He said the finance mgr at the dealership would speak to them in the morning, but given my payment history on the loan and lease, I can't see why they would need this. Any advice?
  • Does anyone know what the current lease rates and residual values are for 2008 Saabs?

If they vary by model, I am interested in a 9-3 2.0T Convertible or a 9-3 2.0T Wagon (Combi) or a 9-5 2.3T Wagon (Combi). I'd be interested in a short (24- or 27-month) lease or a longer one (up to 36- or 39-months.) If it matters, I'd like 12,000 miles/year (but could possibly live with 10,000 miles/year.)

Also, since Saab seems to be quoting lease rates as interest percentages (i.e. 3.35%) would it be accurate to convert this number into a "money factor" figure for lease calculation by dividing it by 2400?

THANK YOU for any information anyone can provide!
  • Hi thegens. Saab's lease program for the 2008 9-3 does vary by model. Its current base lease rate and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2008 9-3 2.0T Convertible with 12,000 miles per year are 6.7% and 74%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are 6.7% and 64%.

Saab's base lease rate and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2008 8-3 2.0T Combi with 12,000 miles per year are 4.5% and 70%. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are 4.5% and 58%.

Saab's base lease rate and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2008 8-5 2.3T Combi with 12,000 miles per year are 3.35% and 69%. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are 3.35% and 57%.

You are correct, you can convert Saab's published lease rates into approximate money factor equivalents by dividing them by 2400.

Car_man
    Host
  • jpautojpauto Posts: 11
    Hi Car_man,

Just wondering if the $2,500 marketing support on the 2008 9-3 sportcombi is compatible with the October leasing program. The answer makes a significant difference in the monthly payments...

Thanks.
  • sje3333sje3333 Posts: 13
    What is the residual on a 39 month lease with 15,000 miles?

The car I am looking at is a 9-3 with the following options:

Moonroof Package
    Cold Weather package

The price I am being quoted is:

Base - 26,214
    Moonroof - 1,068
    Cold Weather - 490
    Destination - 745
    Port - 130
    Local Advertising - 300

Total Cost - 28,947+500 = $29,447

He is quoting me a monthly payment of $431.79 using a 4.35% rate and a 56% residual.

Here are the upfront fees:

First month payment - 431.79
    Security Deposit - $450
    Registration Fee - $167.16
    DMV - $5
    Documentary Fee - $350
    Acquisition Fee - $670
    Tax on upfront items - $71.23

Total upfront fees - $2,145.18

What do you think of the deal. Are the advertising and port fees realistic? How about the documentary fee and acquisition fee (that's a $1,000 between them)?

Thanks,

Steve
  • hintzhintz Posts: 53
    I was quoted much better rates on 08 2.0t for a 27mos lease w/15k per year and an aero. MSRP on 2.0t was 33.180 and payment was 429/mo. The aero w/msrp of 39110 was 503. plus 6% florida tax. just an fyi
  • Okay, so tell me this isn't a joke. I get quoted the following for an 08 Aero SportCombi with automatic trans, touring pkg. and roof rails: 39 months, 12K per year,monthly payment of $606.96. Yes, $606.96. After I get up off the floor and ask the joker for the specifics he says (with a straight face): purchase price $38,869, 57% residual, 6% interest. I am no car buying genius by any stretch but this seems out of whack by at least $50 per month. At least! Am I crazy?
This discussion has been closed.