Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru B9 Tribeca Lease Questions

Hi everyone. Please use the following discussion to post any questions that you have about leasing a Subaru B9 Tribeca. Thanks.

Car_man
Host
Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums

Comments

• We live in NY and unlike a traditional lease, NY offers a balloon payment at the end of the term at which point you can chose to buy out the residual value or turn the car in. The tax is on the full value because this is a balloon loan.

Any pros or cons to paying the tax ($2200+) as part of the down payment versus folding it into the lease payments? If we pay it up front we avoid paying interest on the tax but by the same token it basically doubles the money down.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,623
    If the balloon payment program includes GAP insurance, as do most leases, then rolling the tax payment into the lease gives you some protection, in case the car is stolen or totaled shortly after acquisition...

So, if you are trying to approximate a lease, I'd roll it in..

The vicarious liability laws that caused Subaru to stop leasing in NY have been changed.... Perhaps you could check to see if Subaru might start leasing in NY again, shortly?

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Good news: Subaru resumes leasing in NY as of today September 7. We're waiting to hear from the dealer what the rates will be. We've negotiated a price of $31,956 on a 5 passenger LTD with rear bumper moldings, puddle lights, dimming mirror, cargo net, bumper cover, and crossbars. Can you give us an idea of a good money factor and residual? We're having them price it at both 36 and 48 months with $2500 down.

Thanks.
  • Just heard from the dealer. 36 month, 12K mile lease, $2500 down, $389/month payment on the car based on purchase price of $31,956. Seems high to me. I've asked for the money factor and buyout price but I haven't heard back from the dealer.

Comments?
  • aixaix Posts: 30
    I just wanted to let you know that 36 month/15k mile leases
    June: 0.0021 money factor/ 63% residual
    July/August: 0.00175 mf/61% residual ( I made my deal in August)
    12K leases added 2% to the residual.
    Sorry, not sure what they are this month. But the dealer should have no problem giving you the money factor and residual percentage as posted by Chase (Subaru Motor Finance). The residual is what it is, never negotiable. But some dealers may try to make some margin on the money factor (mine did not). Good luck with your deal, and let us know how it turns out.... :D
  • but you can negotiate the purchase price ? so if you get that down to invoice and the residual is fixed that should give you a lower lease payment.
  • My dealer told me up front that SOA does not allow dealer markups on SOA leases. Residual is based on MSRP. The final lease payment is still based on your negotiated purchase price.
  • aixaix Posts: 30
    Foxbat is right. You can only negotiate the purchase price (cap cost). FWIW regarding leasing, it's generally better to not to pay a cap reduction (down payment), from the standpoint that if your car is totaled in a wreck, the gap insurance will cover the bank's investment, but your down payment is gone...Good luck with the deal. I've had mine a week and love every minute behind the wheel... :D
  • Hi harvpt. I agree with kyfdx. If I was going to do a balloon note on this truck, I personally would roll the tax into the monthly payment as well. Good call on waiting to see if Subaru was going to resume leasing in New York. You saved yourself some money in taxes by waiting. Let's take a look at this current lease program for the vehicle that you are interested in. According to the latest information that I have seen, if you were to lease a 2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca 5 Passenger LTD through Subaru's captive finance company right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00155 and 60%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 48 month lease should be .00185 and 48%.

I noticed that you are considering making a large down payment on your lease. I always advise consumers against making any sort of down payment when leasing. I do so for two main reasons. The first is if your vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen during your lease, your insurance company pays off the bank that you were leasing it through and your down payment essentially disappears. The second main reason is that down payments on leased vehicles do nothing to reduce their lease-end purchase prices. So your lease-end purchase option price for your Tribeca would be exactly the same, regardless of whether you had put $2,500 down, or had made absolutely no down payment at all.

Car_man
    Host
  • fsufanfsufan Posts: 35
    Car_man, what are the october residuals & money factor on the above vehicle for a 36 month- 12k and 15k per lease. It seems as if they are advertising a $299 per 36 month lease special, and am trying to get to the numbers that make up the payment. Thanks.
  • gusbufgusbuf Posts: 23
    I am also interested to find out the money factor and residual values for October Subaru B9 Tribeca 5 passenger limited models. I have a couple quotes coming from local dealers and would like some info to see how good a deal I am being offered.

Thanx!
  • gusbufgusbuf Posts: 23
    I found out the money factor and residual rate for leasing a 2006 Tribeca in October, 2006. The residual rate is 60%, and the money factor is a very aggressive .0015. Seems as if Subaru is really pushing the Tribeca with aggressive lease deals. I hope this helps everyone.
  • Fsufan, if you were to lease a 2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca 5 pass LTD through its captive finance company right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00100 and 60%, respectively. The money factor for an otherwise identical lease with only 12,000 miles per year would be the same, but the residual value would be 1% higher.

Car_man
    Host
  • Got a quote from a dealer in NY today for $490/months for 36months and 12K /year. $2500 state tax is rolled into the price and no money down. this vehicle is fully loaded...( Navi / DVD etc..). Just want to know if this is a good deal.
  • We test drove and got numbers on a 7 passenger Tribeca LTD with Nav and a few other small cheap options yesterday and I wanted to share my experience with everyone. The salesman knew I was an informed customer and before letting us take the car for the afternoon gave us these numbers.

Car was a little over 37K sticker
    Lease terms were for 36 months and 15K per year
    Price was $452 per month with $500 down to cover first month and startup. This price included tax.

We liked the car but it was not perfect for us and we decided to pass on it cause we were told this was the best possible price available and since it was the end of the month (Oct 31) it was good for one day only. We thought the $452 price was fair but not great.

We brought the car back and said no thanks and were told to talk to a manager. You know the same old game. Since I liked my salesman I agreed. After they knew we were going to walk they presented us with a new price. $414 a month with $500 down. This upset us more than anything but I wanted everyone to know that on the end of the month these cars are available for great prices.

36 month 15K per year
    $414 a month including tax with $500 down including first month rent.

That is a great deal from what I have been reading but we did not take it. I was upset more than anything that they tried to take me for an extra $1300 in the first place since I bought my 3 of my last 4 cars from them.

Hope this helps everyone.

Robert

Dealer in question was Frank Gentile locatated in Racine, WI
  • That 's a great price .....was this a 7 Pas LTD with Navigation and rear DVD package?

Did they rolled the tax into the final price and what % tax in your state?

thanks
  • HI Buddy. You never mentioned the selling price or MSRP of the truck that you are interested in leasing. These are important numbers for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing this truck's selling price in relation to its MSRP you don't know how much of a discount you are getting on it. The second reason is that one needs the selling price and MSRP, including the destination charge, of a vehicle to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion on the lease that you were quoted if you let me know what these numbers are.

Car_man
    Host
  • that is such an outstanding price
  • Hi car man thanks for the reply, I got an internet quote for $36,086 for 7Pas LTD , Navigation, DVD , puddle light. I don't think any taxes are included...I also live in NY Metro area ( %8.5 tax). How can I do an estimate of how much tax/ what kinda tax I need to pay.

--Should I roll the big chunk of tax into the final price or should I pay it up front ( advantage/Disadvantage??).

Thanks
  • We picked up our new car last night. It was not in SE WI but in the
    Chicagoland. I shopped hard on the internet. I got a Tribeca LTD, 7
    passenger, with DVD entertainment, NAV, puddle lights, and a few other
    options putting the car with a sticker a little over 39K.

Lease Terms

36 months
    15K per year
    $420 per month including tax (we only pay tax on payments of car in WI
    not entire car like in IL)
    I put $500 down and this included first payment so I really only put
    down $80. This happened cause I was using numbers from another dealer
    with the $500 down so stayed with that number to make it easier for me.
    I was in and out of dealership in less than an hour and fifteen
    minutes.

I dont care what the selling price of the car (not going to buy it at
    end) was but at that price it had to put it over a $1000 under invoice.

Earlier in the day I had been quoted over $500 twice for same car at
    different dealerships.

Only rub is I have to pay start up fees in WI at my local DMV. Which
    are $100. Still that puts car at right around 422.50 a month including
    tax for a $39K car.

Dealership is Evanston Subaru in Evanston, IL (20 miles north of
    Chicago). All the sales staff were very nice to us.