Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Lease Questions

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Posts: 38,515
    Hi chavera2010. Here's the information that you're looking for. Subaru's current lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Forester 2.5X Premium with 12,000 miles per year are .00190 and 60%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 42 month lease of this vehicle are .00185 and 56%.

If you were to lease with only 10,000 miles per year, the above residual values would be 1% higher.

The transmission does indeed make a difference. These are the numbers for models equipped with an automatic transmission.

Here's the Outback 2.5i Premium numbers:

36 mo. / 12k: .00115 and 53%
    42 mo. / 12k: .00145 and 50%.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hey greg1313. Here you go.

Subaru's current lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Forester 2.5X Premium with 15,000 miles per year are .00190 and 59%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 42 month lease are .00185 and 54%.

The numbers for the 2010 Forester 2.5 Limited are .00190 / 57% for 36 months and .00205 and 53% for 42 months.

Car_man
    Host
  • Hi Carman,

I saw you posted in April that for the Forester XT premium, the residual and money factor for a 3-year, 12k/year lease were 59% and .00175.

Has there been any change for May or is it the same?

Thank you!
  • rmervaurmervau Posts: 10
    edited June 2010
    What is the way the dealer/lease companies calculate the cost of mileage in the lease deal.. For example; I am looking at leasing a 2010 Forester Limited, for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year... how does it affect the residual? And does the money factor (interest charged) change to with differing mileage packages?

Initial lease price that the dealer offered was like leasing a BMW 5 series!!, These guys really think most people are going to take the number they propose up front...sheeesh!

I am using a lease calculator that is right on for all factors of the lease equation but has no mileage factor, as i am sure the miles you want will also determine the price. Thanks in advance.
    Hi porsche911c4s. The June numbers are slightly different. Subaru's June lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Forester XT Premium with 12,000 miles per year are .00190 and 60%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi rmervau. Most banks' published residual value percentages are for leases with 15,000 miles per year. For Subaru, one adds 1% to the 15,000 mile per year residual to convert it to a 12,000 miles per year.

Vehicles' mileage allowances do not have any impact upon their money factors.

Car_man
    Host
  • marsmdmarsmd Posts: 4
    Hi Car_Man. You recently gave updated values for RV and MF for the XT premium. Do you have information on the updated values for the 2010 Forester 2.5 X Limited?
    Thanks
  • marsmdmarsmd Posts: 4
    I didn't realize until recently that MF varied by state. I am looking in IL, in the Chicago area. Does anyone have information on the MF and RV for a 210 Forester XT premium w/ navigation? Thanks.
    Hello marsmd. Subaru's current lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Forester X Limited with 15,000 miles per year are .00170 and 55%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • shanhaushanhau Posts: 1
    I'm looking into leasing a Forester and would like to know the current MF and RV for a 36 month lease with 10,000 miles/yr. Thanks!
    Hello shanhau. Chase's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Forester 2.5X with 10,000 miles per year are .00130 and 57%, respectively.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a Forester 2.5X Premium are .00155 and 59%.

Car_man
    Host
  • aqanaqan Posts: 5
    Hi Car Man, can you please provide the latest Residual/MF for XT Limited for a 36 months lease with 10K miles.
    Also, is there a security deposit scheme where by you get a break in money factor if you put a refundable money deposit. I saw infiniti and BMW offer that and it provides very good value.
  • Here you go, aqan. Chase's current lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Forester XT Limited with 10,000 miles per year are .00150 and 58%, respectively.

You're right, a number of luxury automakers offer consumers the ability to make multiple security deposits. I've never heard of anyone doing this on a Subaru lease though.

Car_man
    Host
  • Car_Man: If you could speculate, when would you expect to have residuals, money factors, invoice prices, etc. for the 2011 models? I'd love to jump on a new Forester as soon as they are available!

Specifically I'm looking at a 2.5X Premium, 12k miles, 36 months (that is of course unless there's a more attractive deal for different miles/months). Thank you, sir!
  • Hey peteyboy30. I actually have them now.

Chase's October buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 Forester 2.5X Premium with 12,000 miles per year are .00225 and 65%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
  • Thank you so much. OUCH! 5.4% interest! That really hurts. I was really pleased to see 65% residual, but that immediately went away when I saw the money factor. What a shame!
  • No problem peteyboy30. The Forester's residual values are so high and Subaru's sales have been so strong that it really doesn't have to provide much in the way of money factor support to sell them right now.

Car_man
    Host
  • Yep, you got that right. Well, I feel that it bodes well for Subaru obviously, and I don't mind paying a little more for a car that seems to do everything right (for me).

For everyone else looking for a 2011, I got tired of getting different information from dealers. One dealer told me late this month, another told me December (!). So, I called Subaru directly, and they told me that the 2011 Forester will start to "trickle in" in about another month. He suggested that I place my order now, since I wanted a handful of options that the combination of which would never be on a vehicle I'd see on the lot. So, he sent me a 2011 brochure (so I can pick the color, since a few of them changed). He recommended I test drive the 2010, since there are no major changes, and the "look and feel" are about the same, so I can be sure I'm happy with the car before ordering it.

Plan is, assuming I get the brochure before then, is to hit a local dealer after work on Friday, and offer them $500 under invoice for the car I'm ordering, and see what they think. My thinking is that since the car won't even spend a day on the lot, they'll still be making quite a profit on it. Although I'm not sure how well it'll work out, based on Car_Man's statement of sales being strong. I was going to start out at invoice price, but then I figured they'd work up from there. Instead, I'll start below invoice, and worst case work up to invoice, which I'd be happy with anyway.

Anyone else have similar plans to order a 2011 in the short term? Are you waiting to see them on the lot, and why? Just curious to hear more experiences. Thanks all.
  • steevosteevo Posts: 331
    My advice is you should sit back and wait for the cars to actually show up. No harm in trying, but I dont see why a dealer would be willing to special order a vehicle at a discount.
    Besides, typically, a customer with your requirements is the customer you get the most money out of, not the least.
    Consider:
    You are already in love with the car, cant wait for the new model to show up before placing a deposit, want a special order, and "don;t mind paying a little extra" .
    They will squeeze you.
    Hopefully I am wrong!
  • Car_Man: One more question, and a follow-up, if you don't mind. The dealer stated the money factor was .00250 (6%) which differed from what you mentioned. He showed me the spreadsheet, which had all models and styles, and the corresponding number. The residual was correct, but the money factor differed. Thoughts?

Secondly, when you guys go to the dealer to lease a Subaru, is this bank fee necessary, or can I get it waived? I think he said it was $595, which I almost fell over at.
  • jjlewjjlew Posts: 2
    I am looking to lease a Forester, have one month left on my current lease from Acura and am wondering if waiting for the 2011's is the way to go. My understanding is that the lease payment will be less on a 2010, but what about residuals? Also XT w/ navi vs. Limited vs Premium All-weather PKG. Any thoughts on these 3 models?
  • steine13steine13 Posts: 2,411
    As a "leasing veteran" -- iow, leasing seems to work for you -- I don't think you need to care too much about residuals. If you do turn it in, I'd say it doesn't matter, and the only significant number is the total outlay -- $$ down + sum of the payments.

It definitely pays to compare '10s and '11s, though.

Cheers -Mathias
  • jjlewjjlew Posts: 2
    What about buying it outright. Do Subaru's hold their value? Never had one. Love your insight. Thanks.
  • Hey peteyboy30. I'm pretty sure that the money factor that I provided you with is correct. The .00250 rate sounds like Chase's standard money factor.

$595 is a pretty typical acquisition fee. All banks charge one. You won't be able to get this charge waived. You can either pay it at lease signing or have it rolled into your car's capitalized cost to make it part of your monthly payment.

Car_man
    Host
  • kilnkiln Posts: 39
    edited November 2010
    I was going to wait until the Forester's refresh (2012 model - new transmission?), but it seems as if I'm going to need a vehicle much sooner. My question is if I were to lease a 2011 Forester how much of a hit would I take if I wanted to trade it in for a 2012? Do you only have to pay the negative equity or are there other fees that dealerships add on?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,901
    They don't really charge a penalty when you turn a lease in early.. They just sell your leased car at auction, and charge you the difference between what it's worth and the current payoff on your lease...

When you find out how much that is, you won't turn your lease in early..

Don't lease the car, if you can't keep it for the entire lease term.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Is it completely unheard of to get quoted $800 under invoice for a 2011 2.5X premium? Because that is the price I jut received. Seems way too low, but I'm not complaining
  • Well, personally, the best I could do was get invoice pricing, but still haven't been able to pull the trigger due to financial issues right now. If you can get it, I'd jump on it, just make sure there aren't any other hidden fees that they'd use to make up that $800. Care to share where you got this from?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I think that's more than their holdback, so you basically robbed them. You didn't happen to be wearing a mask and carrying a gun? LOL
  • This was the dealer breakdown:
    Here's the lease info on a 2011 Forester 2.5X Premium/AWP/Auto

MSRP is $25,720 and the selling price would be $23,498. MF on the 2011 is 0.00215 and the residual is 64% 3 years /10,000 miles per year $300.77/mo w/tax= $317.57/mo $732.57 total due at signing

I've run these leases with the normal upfronts: first payment, $288 doc fee and $125 registry fee. Acquisition fee $595 is included in the lease...some dealers quote it separately as an upfront fee but we find that most customers choose to include it in the lease.
This discussion has been closed.